• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyxnhh

hello guys!

going to take the plunge and move into Horizon Hills next Jan 2019. Was excited when viewing the different rental houses but after signing the option to lease, i am getting SUPER cold feet.

Can someone advise me on the following:

1. From HH to Tuas Road (reach by 8:30am) what time must i start my cross border journey?
2. any reliable movers to recommend for moving from SG to HH? moving only a 4ft fish tank plus or may not plus my fridge
3. is the jam bad in the evening going home. i end work at 5:45pm and my office is a 5mins drive to the checkpoint. Will i reach home only at 10pm?:cry:

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
traffic is unpredictable. but since u r going to do it u just hv to bear with it everyday knowing what u r in for. call this housing agent fr tophills who might be able to help with yr moving. +60192788930 ms kl tan

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Elfhunter, never so far. Been 10 years. Maybe i was lucky? My wife and kids too. Only time is when the MACS expires halfway when we are in JB. Then they will ask which day we enter etc. When one time they asked about my son's passport, i informed them that he takes school bus thats why our dates were different (both our MACs expired at the same time), the lady just nodded and let us pass.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi nyxnhh,

1. From HH to Tuas Road (reach by 8:30am) what time must i start my cross border journey?
You can go to facebook to search for one of the carpools there, they typically start picking up people at designated points by 5am. In emergency or when you don't want to drive and just get driven, take the carpool or charter a cab in and out. https://www.facebook.com/Whatsapp60...5817568410474/271526386839592/?type=1&theater

2. any reliable movers to recommend for moving from SG to HH? moving only a 4ft fish tank plus or may not plus my fridge
Lots just google, but never use the CH mover guys. Changed pricing at the last minute plus damaged my bed items.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ch+.....69i57j5l3.2271j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3. is the jam bad in the evening going home. i end work at 5:45pm and my office is a 5mins drive to the checkpoint. Will i reach home only at 10pm?:cry:[/QUOTE]
It is not that bad except on Public holidays but super bad especially for school holidays. Normally 1-2 hours for me. You can also join the many carpools at Joo Koon/Boon Lay/Jurong East MRT stations.

Alternatives
For those not going to and from 2nd link, you can consider booking a train at www.easybook.com and leaving your car at a car park at JB Sentral. Its 5RM from JB Sentral and trains are pretty much on time. (need to arrive 30 minutes before). For those who are going back to JB from Woodlands, the online tickets NEEDS to be validated at the ground floor counter FIRST before going up. Don't make the same mistake i did.

For those who plan to stay further in and don't need to go into Singapore frequently, can consider Desaru. Changi Ferry terminal and the ferry terminal at Desaru has free parking so people who want can take the 45 minute ferry from Changi to Desaru. Limited numbers of daily ferries though but it is doable plus ETA timing is very predictable much like the train.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The bigger problem is ........ JB property market will be in a slump for long time ........ so many condos are empty ........

Agree, it will not recover for a while, anyway i am in for the long haul. Luckily most of my units are still rented out. Just have a remaining unit in Laguna i am pondering to sell or to rent out.

elfhunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Elfhunter, never so far. Been 10 years. Maybe i was lucky? My wife and kids too. Only time is when the MACS expires halfway when we are in JB. Then they will ask which day we enter etc. When one time they asked about my son's passport, i informed them that he takes school bus thats why our dates were different (both our MACs expired at the same time), the lady just nodded and let us pass.
thanks for the reply ... i have been staying in JB for the past few months back on weekend almost every week recently been ask by custom officer quite frequently... posting to see anyone encounter the same as me

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
thanks for the reply ... i have been staying in JB for the past few months back on weekend almost every week recently been ask by custom officer quite frequently... posting to see anyone encounter the same as me

Do you take train/bus/drive through? I joined quite a few carpools, took cabs, trains and go in and out so far never had such issues. Nor my wife or children as well. I will ask them though and will update here if this really becomes an issue.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Agree sir.

For all who are new to JB and reading this, if this doesn't become a viable place then sell and look elsewhere, important thing is not to give up trying. If JB is not for you, then maybe other countries. Don't give up trying. I have shared what i did initially, get hotel rooms, drive in every weekend and see things for yourself first, then rent or buy and then mainly for own stay.

I would not give up so easily though if it was myself. Been here 10 over years, still here.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
These are mainly during school holidays or public holidays but 8 hours is really ridiculous. I would either travel by train or ferry (Changi - Tanjung Belungkor in 45 mins and then drive/cab back) if urgent travel is required during festive or school holiday season or travel during off peak hours. Best is still to take train/ferry and book in advance. Tanjong Belungkor is near to Desaru. Actually for retirement, if one stays in Desaru and/or based in SG east side, then its a straight 45 minute ferry each way. Of course there is some time to get to the ferry. Best is still by train of course.

Pickup: Changi Ferry Terminal Dropoff: Tanjung Belungor Ferry Terminal
https://www.easybook.com/en-my/ferry/booking/tanjungbelungkordesaru-to-changiferryterminal

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long waits at Tuas and Woodlands Checkpoints, with some delays hitting 8 hours

If such scenario happened more frequent going forward, many would just give up for good.

In life, there is always trade-offs. Cheap & good only exists in salesman's world. I am a retiree who doesn't live with fixed schedule except for regular medical appt in Sg. I choose my time of entry and exit and probably because of this, no horror stories so far. For just the past 1 yr, I can feel that cost of living in Sg has climbed steeper judging by what I hv to pay for makan and groceries. My savings certainly go much further in msia, with the 1:3 exchange rate.

mummymoo2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone - was anyone stuck trying at JB checkpoint this morning? There was such a long queue at 7.15am today and I tried using an alternative route near the Petronas gas station and the queue was snaking there too! In the end, I made a decision to go via Tuas. It's usually not that busy even for Monday mornings. I wonder what happened??

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In life, there is always trade-offs. Cheap & good only exists in salesman's world. I am a retiree who doesn't live with fixed schedule except for regular medical appt in Sg. I choose my time of entry and exit and probably because of this, no horror stories so far. For just the past 1 yr, I can feel that cost of living in Sg has climbed steeper judging by what I hv to pay for makan and groceries. My savings certainly go much further in msia, with the 1:3 exchange rate.

But things arent tat very cheap anymore in JB.....

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Alternative route - Transport via ferry (this is to Desaru area though), the plans for the Kong Kong ferry never materialized unfortunately.

ferry.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.45.53 AM.png

Source: https://www.singasurf.com/single-post/2017/02/11/Surf-Desaru-On-A-Day-Trip-Without-A-Car

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
But things arent tat very cheap anymore in JB.....

Agree, fortunately we know where to go. Just deeper in, example we go to Pontian to buy pet stuff and other groceries.
Else for a lot of items, can get very reasonably at the ECO shops.
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.50.52 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.50.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.50.13 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.