• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Many thanks Elfie for your kind words. I try to help where i can, my own efforts are limited though. I am lucky to have good neighbours though.

Recently a good neighbour actually sent me as i was walking home from a car pool. My wife was already enroute to pick me up but as its been a long time since we talked (missed his friendship) i took the lift anyway. (car was in the workshop) Grateful for whatever mercy scraps the heavens throw my way.

Then there are the bad ones who had workers damage locks that i put in for my next door neighbour to protect his house, just so that they can clip their bushes etc. Their workers always leave the gate open and in this instance, after spoiling the lock, they left both iron gates opened. I had to go over and talk to the other neighbour and in the end, it was an effort for naught as they just kept doing. Until i got fed up and got another form of lock to lock up.

MsPiggyy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks Elfie for your kind words. I try to help where i can, my own efforts are limited though. I am lucky to have good neighbours though.

Recently a good neighbour actually sent me as i was walking home from a car pool. My wife was already enroute to pick me up but as its been a long time since we talked (missed his friendship) i took the lift anyway. (car was in the workshop) Grateful for whatever mercy scraps the heavens throw my way.

Then there are the bad ones who had workers damage locks that i put in for my next door neighbour to protect his house, just so that they can clip their bushes etc. Their workers always leave the gate open and in this instance, after spoiling the lock, they left both iron gates opened. I had to go over and talk to the other neighbour and in the end, it was an effort for naught as they just kept doing. Until i got fed up and got another form of lock to lock up.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, bro. Much appreciated. :geek:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
For those keen to enquire about working in Malaysia, etc can check in here:

Malaysia Expatriate Talent Services Centre (MYXpats)
Level 4, Surian Tower No 1 Jalan PJU 7/3 Mutiara Damansara 47810 Petaling Jaya Selangor Darul Ehsan Malaysia

Please call +603-7839 7171 or email: MYXpats Helpdesk at [email protected] or RP-T Helpdesk at [email protected]

I have applied earnestly before but was rejected as i don't have a work permit in Malaysia since i am just running some businesses to help my wife, don't take my experience as a negative one though as your mileage may well vary.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes Nusajaya/Iskand Putri is in the 2m zone so it is effectively 2m for most of the neighbourhood.

Seems to me they are not encouraging us to buy but rent properties tere. Dont even need to owe a property to qualify for MM2H.

MsPiggyy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you referring to Penang or parts of Selangor (KL) where it is already 2million (landed)? You can still get landed property for 1m in Johor, its going to be harder for foreigners to be able to buy landed property in Malaysia thats for sure.

http://epu.gov.my/en/en/sites/default/files/GP%20EPUJPM%20-%20English%202014.pdf
View attachment 47700

I have downloaded this and tried to open the document a few times but to no avail.

The fact that the foreigners are only allowed to buy at least rm 2 mil means they are effectively blocked from buying most JB properties cos most are under rm 2 mil except for the bungalows and ultra luxurious properties.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I have downloaded this and tried to open the document a few times but to no avail.

The fact that the foreigners are only allowed to buy at least rm 2 mil means they are effectively blocked from buying most JB properties cos most are under rm 2 mil except for the bungalows and ultra luxurious properties.

You can look at this one as well. Its definitely only 2m at this point.
http://www.pwta.com.my/wp-content/u...by-Foreigners-Updated-as-of-2-August-2017.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 10.13.14 AM.png

jbnewbie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Walker, still very much in love with this land even though sometimes i do get some racist stuff here and there, i take it in my stride.

I continue to hold lifts and doors open for people even when they just breeze by without even a nod or push out my trolley to fit theirs into the lift. I just take the next lift.
I do it for their kids and babies, not for them, if they do not know gratitude because of my race or different religion, it is on them, not me. I just do my part as a human being.

thank you .......

MsPiggyy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you for the info but I still can't view the above document, bro Wuqi. I give up.

Oh I went to Sunway just last month and I was told by their agents that the foreigners are not bound by the limitation of RM one million and are allowed to buy the RM 400k apartments and RM 600k to RM 800k (after discounts/rebates) landed properties. He said that the properties are on international lots so not bound by the limitation of RM one mil. I recall him mentioning one mil at all times and not two mil at all. This is really strange.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thank you for the info but I still can't view the above document, bro Wuqi. I give up.

Oh I went to Sunway just last month and I was told by their agents that the foreigners are not bound by the limitation of RM one million and are allowed to buy the RM 400k apartments and RM 600k to RM 800k (after discounts/rebates) landed properties. He said that the properties are on international lots so not bound by the limitation of RM one mil. I recall him mentioning one mil at all times and not two mil at all. This is really strange.

That is because Sunway in Iskandar is based in Medini where it is a LEASEHOLD title for 129 years. Hence no limit but of course, it is leasehold on actual freehold land. Sorry but no go for me. Hope the information below helps clear things up.

http://www.sunwayiskandar.com/pdf/citrine-ebrochure.pdf

Developer Name: Sunway Iskandar Sdn Bhd (964451-A) • Address: Lobby Level, Menara Sunway, Jalan Lagoon Timur, Bandar Sunway, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor • Residential Services • Citrine • Development Type Residential Services • No. Developer License: 13596-1/07-2016/0668 (L) • Validity Period: 09/07/2014 - 08/07/2016 • Advertising & Sales Permit No.: 13596-1/07-2016/0668(P) • Validity Date: 09/07/2014 – 08/07/2016 • Plan Reference No: BPU (JB) RP/9A/10/2013 • Authorities approve: City Council of Johor Bahru • Land Tenure: Leasehold For 129 years (2141) •

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2018/07/10/buyers-project-private-lease-scheme-johor-sue-developer

PETALING JAYA: Buyers of a property project in Medini, Johor, on a private lease scheme are taking the developer to court for failing to issue separate strata titles for their units.

One hundred and seven buyers of The Meridin@Medini are claiming for inter alia damages for misrepresentation and late delivery from Mah Sing Group Bhd unit Tropika Istimewa Development Sdn Bhd.

The case highlights one of the concerns raised by the House Buyers Association of allowing private corporations to lease out freehold land for housing development.
Note that the term "leasehold property" is commonly used in Malaysia and refers to a state lease. This type of leasehold land is owned by state authorities, which have a moral obligation to renew the lease upon expiry, at a nominal fee.

SunBiz wrote in June that projects in Medini are being developed under the private lease scheme. The Meridin is one of the projects, along with Iskandar Residences, 1Medini and Paradiso Nuova.

The defendant, Tropika Istimewa, had filed an application to strike out the plaintiffs' case on the grounds that the claim was without merit, frivolous and an abuse of process of the court.

However, the High Court yesterday dismissed its application with costs of RM5,000. The trial has been set for Sept 13.
The Meridin is a project that sits on freehold land that is owned by Iskandar Investment Bhd (IIB), which granted lease to Medini Land Sdn Bhd for 99 years from April 15, 2013.

Under a lease-purchase agreement dated Oct 18, 2012, Medini Land agreed to sell the lease to Tropika Istimewa.
Upon completion of the lease-purchase agreement, IIB granted absolute right to the developer to develop the land as a housing development and to sell the lease over the condominium parcel to the public.

The buyers and the developer signed sale and purchase agreements (SPA) which saw the developer selling the lease over the parcel to the buyers.
Clause 11 of the SPA provides that the developer shall apply and obtain separate strata titles to the parcel under the Strata Title Act 1985. However, to date, no application has been made for subdivision and issuance of separate strata titles.

Note that there is no provision in the National Land Code and the Strata Title Act to allow private lease schemes which, at present, is practised only in Medini.

Under the Act, only the registered proprietor, in this case IIB, can apply for the strata title and not the developer, which is a lessee. The Act also does not recognise the rights of the buyers of the lease to participate in the management corporation.

The National Land Code prohibits the transfer of a lease to two or more persons and if there are two or more buyers who signed the SPA, the lease cannot be transferred into both their names as only one name is allowed. Thus, there is a statutory restriction imposed for the transfer of a lease into the names of the purchasers.

MsPiggyy

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is because Sunway in Iskandar is based in Medini where it is a LEASEHOLD title for 129 years. Hence no limit but of course, it is leasehold on actual freehold land. Sorry but no go for me. Hope the information below helps clear things up.

http://www.sunwayiskandar.com/pdf/citrine-ebrochure.pdf

Developer Name: Sunway Iskandar Sdn Bhd (964451-A) • Address: Lobby Level, Menara Sunway, Jalan Lagoon Timur, Bandar Sunway, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor • Residential Services • Citrine • Development Type Residential Services • No. Developer License: 13596-1/07-2016/0668 (L) • Validity Period: 09/07/2014 - 08/07/2016 • Advertising & Sales Permit No.: 13596-1/07-2016/0668(P) • Validity Date: 09/07/2014 – 08/07/2016 • Plan Reference No: BPU (JB) RP/9A/10/2013 • Authorities approve: City Council of Johor Bahru • Land Tenure: Leasehold For 129 years (2141) •

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2018/07/10/buyers-project-private-lease-scheme-johor-sue-developer

PETALING JAYA: Buyers of a property project in Medini, Johor, on a private lease scheme are taking the developer to court for failing to issue separate strata titles for their units.

One hundred and seven buyers of The Meridin@Medini are claiming for inter alia damages for misrepresentation and late delivery from Mah Sing Group Bhd unit Tropika Istimewa Development Sdn Bhd.

The case highlights one of the concerns raised by the House Buyers Association of allowing private corporations to lease out freehold land for housing development.
Note that the term "leasehold property" is commonly used in Malaysia and refers to a state lease. This type of leasehold land is owned by state authorities, which have a moral obligation to renew the lease upon expiry, at a nominal fee.

SunBiz wrote in June that projects in Medini are being developed under the private lease scheme. The Meridin is one of the projects, along with Iskandar Residences, 1Medini and Paradiso Nuova.

The defendant, Tropika Istimewa, had filed an application to strike out the plaintiffs' case on the grounds that the claim was without merit, frivolous and an abuse of process of the court.

However, the High Court yesterday dismissed its application with costs of RM5,000. The trial has been set for Sept 13.
The Meridin is a project that sits on freehold land that is owned by Iskandar Investment Bhd (IIB), which granted lease to Medini Land Sdn Bhd for 99 years from April 15, 2013.

Under a lease-purchase agreement dated Oct 18, 2012, Medini Land agreed to sell the lease to Tropika Istimewa.
Upon completion of the lease-purchase agreement, IIB granted absolute right to the developer to develop the land as a housing development and to sell the lease over the condominium parcel to the public.

The buyers and the developer signed sale and purchase agreements (SPA) which saw the developer selling the lease over the parcel to the buyers.
Clause 11 of the SPA provides that the developer shall apply and obtain separate strata titles to the parcel under the Strata Title Act 1985. However, to date, no application has been made for subdivision and issuance of separate strata titles.

Note that there is no provision in the National Land Code and the Strata Title Act to allow private lease schemes which, at present, is practised only in Medini.

Under the Act, only the registered proprietor, in this case IIB, can apply for the strata title and not the developer, which is a lessee. The Act also does not recognise the rights of the buyers of the lease to participate in the management corporation.

The National Land Code prohibits the transfer of a lease to two or more persons and if there are two or more buyers who signed the SPA, the lease cannot be transferred into both their names as only one name is allowed. Thus, there is a statutory restriction imposed for the transfer of a lease into the names of the purchasers.

Oh ya, you are right! I forgot that Sunway is leasehold. Thank you so much for the clarification!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Miss Piggy, As well, the 2m refers to certain areas, take for example the whole of Nusajaya (Now Iskandar Putri) is international zone which means subject to 2m.
Other areas within Johor and outskirts are still 1m. Most are still unaware of the 2m. To this date, i still have people who thinks that they can buy properties in Malaysia for 100k. I wish them very well, who am i to argue with their infinite wisdom. After all, 99 years is a long time to be proven that what one holds is a leasehold.

Update October 12, 2018 - It is still 1m for Johore for now.

I have kept my peace on this a long time especially when people spent 150k or more on renovation. When it suits their fancy, you are a owner and you pay property tax/fix the upstairs neighbours pipes leaking into your house as you own the place after all. When it doesn't then you are reminded by both them and the banks that you are just a long term tenant and can lose your home if you do certain things(not even limited to just financial).

Recently with all the news publishing about 99 years in the papers, some friends and relatives have out of the blue ask me for lunch and ask about things here. My reply was the same, its a cowboy town with people dying every day, people are threatened and gets thrown out and riots in KL burnt all the way down to JB. People are dropping like flies here, its very much akin to an episode from Walking Dead.

Jokes aside of course, i have no issues with leasehold properties as ultimately to each his own, but i try not to hold more than one of them knowing banks are as fickle as policies makers and short leases (less than 30 unless you can cough up a lot in cash) = no loan for potential buyer therefore no sale.

Excerpt below is taken from the link:
https://www.edgeprop.my/content/1045775/minimum-property-purchase-prices-foreign-buyers

There are however, exemptions from EPU approval for certain transactions (see list of exemptions), as well as exemptions given by respective state governments.

In Johor, for instance, Medini Iskandar in Iskandar Malaysia is designated as a special economic zone.

Medini Iskandar has no restrictions on foreign ownership. There is no minimum price threshold for foreign property buyers, and foreign property purchases are exempted from real property gains tax until Dec 31, 2025.

Also given special status is Forest City, the Malaysia-China joint venture development in Iskandar which has been designated a duty free zone. The minimum price threshold for foreign buyers is RM500,000 per strata unit, according to a spokesperson of the project.

Meanwhile, the Straits of Johor Development Corridor 2025 Master Plan showed that Tanjung Bin, Tanjung Pelepas, Nusajaya (now known as Iskandar Puteri), Johor Bahru city centre, Pasir Gudang, Tanjung Piai, Sungai Sekudai and Sungai Tebrau are international zones. In these zones however, the minimum threshold for foreign property purchase is RM2 million for landed residences compared with the RM1 million threshold for landed residences in the rest of the state; and RM1 million for strata property. Hence, it would be wise to check the status of the various projects one is interested in.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just to update as well, there are 2 duty free zones in JB. One is the old The Zon, now Berjaya Waterfront and the other is Forest City. Both have hotels and accommodation within these 2 zones and of course not just limited to alcohol/cigarettes (i don't do both) but chocolates/cosmetics/fragrances and luxury items like watches as well.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just sharing and i hope this is useful, if not to anyone, as a reminder to self, words written after an interesting conversation where someone i looked upon (still do) as a mentor years ago hurled extreme words at me for no apparent reason when i went to him for help.

Reminder to read this every single day and i try to keep to it as much as i can:

Every piece of kindness will be remembered, appreciated and reciprocated.
Every unkind act although initially hurtful, be in time forgiven and MUST BE forgotten.

After 50 years, few of our grandchildren will remember us.
Few will even know our graves or stone.

After 100 years, few of our great grandchildren knows our names.
Few will hear the name from their lips.

After 200 years, there may not be any surviving descendants to hold the surname dear.
A new order may have emerged or surname done away.

After 500 years, there may not be any who remembers us by deed or by written word.
No matter how famous you may have been or how great (or heinous) a deed was done.

After 1000 years, there may not be anyone who exists or who we even matter as much as a speck of dust.
There may be no one left to even care.

Thus in all things, learn forgiveness, patience and be forgetful towards the transgressions of others as we want others to in turn forgive us.

Hug your wife/loved ones tight, take care to hug them yet one more time before going to work. For every time we depart, it may be our last parting.

Hug your parents tight, for every day that passes, we get one lesser day with them, what we don't care enough about, life comes by and takes away.

Learn to put aside differences, past hurt and even debts people owe you. Why would you still chase after a debtor when others have already forgiven yours?

Learn to forget.

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes Nusajaya/Iskand Putri is in the 2m zone so it is effectively 2m for most of the neighbourhood.

Who would want to buy a 2mio resale terrace house for 2mio?:rolleyes: Looks like i may have to sell to a Msian (at a loss) if i decided to let go in near future.:frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.