• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi EcBoy,

Thanks for the heads up. Yup i went to see the SOHO for V Summer on the webby, it looks very impressive, like some princely royalty apartment high up in the clouds - the ceiling is so Tall, so relaxing. However having said that, it's not within my budget, and i don't need such huge a place, so i am looking at the smallest unit it has which i believe is sufficient. I should be going down to Johor tomorrow to have a look at the showroom, as well as have a feel of the surrounding. If anyone feels that there are better projects i can explore to decide when i am over tomorrow, feel free to let me know.

Currently i only know of 4 Developments that is close or reasonably close to CIQ Customs - Princess Cove, SkyHabitat, V@Summer and City Woods. Still trying to see if there are still any budget hidden gems lying around there. :smile:

City Woods is the cheapest but I will never buy.
Prefer to buy atas condo.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi folks,

search online and need some advice. are these places rentable? safe and near enough to CIQ etc

1. golden sand serviced apartment
2. sky suites at meldrum hills
3. tropez at danga day

thanks!

Hi streams,

This is purely my personal view, does not apply to the general perspective of all.

I kind of find in Malaysia there are 2 most dangerous places in term of robbery, snatch thief and etc. One is the busiest place (does not only imply with Singaporeans) and one is the quietest place. CIQ to me is one of the most busiest place hence if you are looking at safe area, perhaps you might want to reconsider. Having said that, my theory also still applies. If you do not flaunt your wealth, blend in with the locals, do not appear to be like a suaku tourist, does not act as though you are one rich mf talking loudly and scream "CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP" like a bird. I think you should just do fine. Surrounding awareness and situation awareness is very important when living in Malaysia, of course it is not the safest place on earth but it is not the most dangerous place on earth either. One has to be more alert and sometimes just act normally without being too paranoid helps since you should learn to enjoy the lifestyle and not worry about the life style.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi streams,

This is purely my personal view, does not apply to the general perspective of all.

I kind of find in Malaysia there are 2 most dangerous places in term of robbery, snatch thief and etc. One is the busiest place (does not only imply with Singaporeans) and one is the quietest place. CIQ to me is one of the most busiest place hence if you are looking at safe area, perhaps you might want to reconsider. Having said that, my theory also still applies. If you do not flaunt your wealth, blend in with the locals, do not appear to be like a suaku tourist, does not act as though you are one rich mf talking loudly and scream "CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP" like a bird. I think you should just do fine. Surrounding awareness and situation awareness is very important when living in Malaysia, of course it is not the safest place on earth but it is not the most dangerous place on earth either. One has to be more alert and sometimes just act normally without being too paranoid helps since you should learn to enjoy the lifestyle and not worry about the life style.

Couldn't have said it better, bro!:biggrin:

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couldn't have said it better, bro!:biggrin:

talk with my tiny weeny bit of living in jb experience. same things goes to my colleagues, clients, relatives and friends, when they knew that I have moved in JB, all are like are you crazy shit? It is so dangerous there, got car get stolen, get stabbed when withdrawing money from ATM, handbag got scratched etc.... 2-3 guys even commented they will rather die than drive their BMW or Merc or Audi across the border. I find these people stereotyped Malaysia based on what they read on the newspaper especially Wan Bao which got a lot of over juicy stories, or from their Facebook rumour stories. The point is yes, crime rate is definitely not as low as Singapore but as the saying goes, low crime does not mean no crime. If one treasure the luxury of leaving handbag or stuff at the food court table to go order food and return to find their belongings still there. I will not say this is a good habit to cultivate especially for the young ones. I have seen tourists in places like Spain - Barcelona where one look I can immediately tell they are from Singapore. Most of the time, when I hear them speak, i know i am right. This is how bad our lack of situation awareness and overly sheltered behavior when exposed to external threats especially oversea. I think if you were to compile the cases of robbery and snatch thief or pickpocket in Europe, Malaysia will appear to be Heaven-like.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
talk with my tiny weeny bit of living in jb experience. same things goes to my colleagues, clients, relatives and friends, when they knew that I have moved in JB, all are like are you crazy shit? It is so dangerous there, got car get stolen, get stabbed when withdrawing money from ATM, handbag got scratched etc.... 2-3 guys even commented they will rather die than drive their BMW or Merc or Audi across the border. I find these people stereotyped Malaysia based on what they read on the newspaper especially Wan Bao which got a lot of over juicy stories, or from their Facebook rumour stories. The point is yes, crime rate is definitely not as low as Singapore but as the saying goes, low crime does not mean no crime. If one treasure the luxury of leaving handbag or stuff at the food court table to go order food and return to find their belongings still there. I will not say this is a good habit to cultivate especially for the young ones. I have seen tourists in places like Spain - Barcelona where one look I can immediately tell they are from Singapore. Most of the time, when I hear them speak, i know i am right. This is how bad our lack of situation awareness and overly sheltered behavior when exposed to external threats especially oversea. I think if you were to compile the cases of robbery and snatch thief or pickpocket in Europe, Malaysia will appear to be Heaven-like.

Paris & Rome especially are not what they seem. Infested with crime when I was there in 2007.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whack can already...no need to whack until quacked!:eek:

Druggie, they didn't know so applied with 'maximum prejudice', unfortunately for them turns out to be "Extreme Prejudice".... However the fall could be a contributory factor to the druggies already 'compromise' health status, hence his unfortunate death.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi People,

I understand that there are 2 types of Taxes one would need to pay if you own a property n stay in Malaysia - Property Tax n Quit Rent Tax. I am a little confused on these 2 taxes, esp Quit Rent Tax. If I were to purchase a Condo property of say 650sqft near Johor customs under Commercial strata, how much Taxes would I need to pay for both Property and Quit Rent tax respectively on a yearly basis? I need to factor in these 2 costs. Can a kind soul give me a good estimate.

Also, with regards to MACS Application, I know we can apply in Singapore Orchard area. But what if we r living in Johor already, can we apply for MACS in Malaysia itself? As application in Singapore takes 1 working day for collection which can be rather inconvenient, as the Passport will be held for 1 day. Thanks.

BlueSky

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi People,

I understand that there are 2 types of Taxes one would need to pay if you own a property n stay in Malaysia - Property Tax n Quit Rent Tax. I am a little confused on these 2 taxes, esp Quit Rent Tax. If I were to purchase a Condo property of say 650sqft near Johor customs under Commercial strata, how much Taxes would I need to pay for both Property and Quit Rent tax respectively on a yearly basis? I need to factor in these 2 costs. Can a kind soul give me a good estimate.

Also, with regards to MACS Application, I know we can apply in Singapore Orchard area. But what if we r living in Johor already, can we apply for MACS in Malaysia itself? As application in Singapore takes 1 working day for collection which can be rather inconvenient, as the Passport will be held for 1 day. Thanks.

BlueSky

Share my experience in my landed which I am staying. Annual property tax is RM700 and annual quit rent is RM36.

For MACS application, if I am not wrong, if you have property in MY you can apply for it in JB, just bring along a photocopy of front page of SPA. If not, no harm trying by bringing your tenancy agreement to prove you are residing in JB.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone familiar with taking taxis in JB share which is the best way to book one? Is it still by a telephone hotline number (if so, which is the most reliable) or by some new app (which one)?

Also what are the usual booking charges, if any?

Btw do JB taxis use the meter?

I don't drive and usually tumpang a lift from my parents or friends when coming over. Not taken a taxi in a while either.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone familiar with taking taxis in JB share which is the best way to book one? Is it still by a telephone hotline number (if so, which is the most reliable) or by some new app (which one)?

I don't drive and usually tumpang a lift from my parents or friends when coming over. Not taken a taxi in a while either.

My kids use Myteksi app which is good. Track location as you move...and runs on meter.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal

We use Grab taxi frequently - both in JB and SGP. We get a taxi assigned to us quite quickly, except of course if it is peak hour. Normal booking charges apply and usually it will state in the app. And the taxis use meter for the journey.

Hope that helps!

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
We use Grab taxi frequently - both in JB and SGP. We get a taxi assigned to us quite quickly, except of course if it is peak hour. Normal booking charges apply and usually it will state in the app. And the taxis use meter for the journey.

Hope that helps!

Use Uber, much more reliable and drivers are friendly but you will need internet connection.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks guys for all your taxi tips!

I heard uber can spring surprises on you in terms of the fare esp if there's a jam so will prolly just go with grab or myteksi :smile:

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Share my experience in my landed which I am staying. Annual property tax is RM700 and annual quit rent is RM36.

For MACS application, if I am not wrong, if you have property in MY you can apply for it in JB, just bring along a photocopy of front page of SPA. If not, no harm trying by bringing your tenancy agreement to prove you are residing in JB.

Sharing my experience applying for MACS in JB (IRDA office). Yes, if you have a property in JB you can apply for your family - including kids under 18yrs old. You need to bring a copy of you S&P agreement as proof. Kids over 18yrs old have to apply in S'pore :(

I was at the MACS office in JB applying for MACS for my family and witnessed a family with a tenancy agreement being told they couldn't apply for MACS there as tenancy agreements are not acceptable for application.

Hope that helps.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks guys for all your taxi tips!

I heard uber can spring surprises on you in terms of the fare esp if there's a jam so will prolly just go with grab or myteksi :smile:

You will be even more surprised when the taxi uncle scold you coz he can' find you and doesn't want to call you to save like 10ct, many many frustrations turned me to an Uber fanboy. I wish they add more luxury products like they do in SG.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharing my experience applying for MACS in JB (IRDA office). Yes, if you have a property in JB you can apply for your family - including kids under 18yrs old. You need to bring a copy of you S&P agreement as proof. Kids over 18yrs old have to apply in S'pore :(

I was at the MACS office in JB applying for MACS for my family and witnessed a family with a tenancy agreement being told they couldn't apply for MACS there as tenancy agreements are not acceptable for application.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the clearing the air on the TA! :smile:

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hope that helps.

Heading to IRDA office this saturday to renew mine. timely information.

Status
Not open for further replies.