• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stay in JB for coming a year and I think I can share with you as well.

Electricity bill is under Tenaga which is easily payable at POS (Post office), Any shops which allows bill payment and internet banking payment. Water is under SAJ and this is really a pain in the arse bill for me as I cannot use the automated payment system outside POS. So previously have to queue for hour to make payment to RM1-RM8 which is ridiculous in my view. Heng found a shop near to the wet market I always go on weekend so can pay there. Easier

Thanks bro for chipping in as well!

I also found out that there is an agent company who can collect payment for such bills. At the Tesco at Seri Alam there is this shop a few metres away from POS where some bills can be paid, including TN (but for TN only capped at RM500, don't know why). I paid my water bill there when seeing the long que at POS.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am sorry but you can pay evert utility billl online e.g. using maybank online banking.

Every month i pay online tnb. saj. every month TM charges me rm30 for hyper tv. i also pay online. Property tax cukai harta can also be paid online via maybank or JOM.

it is really as easy as in sg. absolutely no need to queue.

Yep, on some occasions I paid my TN bills using the ATM.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am sorry but you can pay evert utility billl online e.g. using maybank online banking.

Every month i pay online tnb. saj. every month TM charges me rm30 for hyper tv. i also pay online. Property tax cukai harta can also be paid online via maybank or JOM.

My wife banking is with RHB which is really painful to use. I am trying to switch my banking needs to consolidate under 1 bank and since our housing loan is from RHB, so for the convenience of it, we just bank online with RHB.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro for chipping in as well!

I also found out that there is an agent company who can collect payment for such bills. At the Tesco at Seri Alam there is this shop a few metres away from POS where some bills can be paid, including TN (but for TN only capped at RM500, don't know why). I paid my water bill there when seeing the long que at POS.

Malaysia got a lot of easter eggs to be discovered. Imagine the excitement when realised hey, I can do this here as well or wow, this road can lead to this place.... After living in Singapore for most part of my 30+ years, I can say there is little to no excitement to new discovery already. But every weekend I look forward to driving out.... Explore and adventure... haha

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia got a lot of easter eggs to be discovered. Imagine the excitement when realised hey, I can do this here as well or wow, this road can lead to this place.... After living in Singapore for most part of my 30+ years, I can say there is little to no excitement to new discovery already. But every weekend I look forward to driving out.... Explore and adventure... haha

True...and on weekends can last minute make trips up north to Muar or Malacca...no need to check webcam for causeway jams...LOL!

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
while you are waiting for an answer from Frodo, i can tell you that utility bills in JB are much cheaper than what you paid for a hdb flat. Water is almost free to use.
Moreover, you can pay every bill including property tax online. not bad isn't it?
Having a house in Jb made me much less worried when our company went through rounds and rounds of reconstructuring. I am trying best to pay off the jb house loan asap. in case retrenched one day,,will surely pack and live in JB.
i think no postgraduates fancy the idea of working as cleaners after sitting in an air con office working at a laptop 20 or 30 years.

Hi tstar,

You are a Postgraduate and you choose to already stay in Malaysia? That's a pretty wise and courageous choice. Can I seek some sound advice. I don't drive hence i am intending to purchase a house extremely close to Woodlands Custom as I can walk and save precious traveling time to work in the CBD area of Singapore.

I have been given an offer to Purchase a Good Studio Unit @ Princess Cove for RM600k (ard RM1,260 psf) - just 5mins walk to Customs (I tried myself walking personally). I have been told it will be the most prestigious address in Johor as the "twin towers" will just be beside my block + the biggest shopping mall just below me.

The land is under Commercial Land Strata so in terms of Utility bills and maintenance bills etc, i guess i will be paying commercial rates, not the normal cheaper residential rates. I don't spend much, so the bulk of my expenses will be mainly just on Food, Medical bills, Utility bills, Taxes and Transport costs.

Re-Sale house is extremely expensive in Singapore and i am giving up waiting for BTO. (200 people waiting for 1 unit? Come on)

I wish to ask all who is reading my post - Is it a good and wise move? Am i making the correct decision? Everyone please feel free to comment and provide your insight. I need to decide by this week as there is like only 6 Studio units left @ the promotional price. Thank you all for your input.

BlueSky

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
East coast has a lot of hidden gems.

Also nearby Ayer Hitam, Cha'ah, Batu Pahat has lots of places to discover

Then you can also join social clubs like HHH, Golf clubs, Car clubs, Fishing clubs etc. Much more holistic way of living.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi tstar,

You are a Postgraduate and you choose to already stay in Malaysia? That's a pretty wise and courageous choice. Can I seek some sound advice. I don't drive hence i am intending to purchase a house extremely close to Woodlands Custom as I can walk and save precious traveling time to work in the CBD area of Singapore.

I have been given an offer to Purchase a Good Studio Unit @ Princess Cove for RM600k (ard RM1,260 psf) - just 5mins walk to Customs (I tried myself walking personally). I have been told it will be the most prestigious address in Johor as the "twin towers" will just be beside my block + the biggest shopping mall just below me.

The land is under Commercial Land Strata so in terms of Utility bills and maintenance bills etc, i guess i will be paying commercial rates, not the normal cheaper residential rates. I don't spend much, so the bulk of my expenses will be mainly just on Food, Medical bills, Utility bills, Taxes and Transport costs.

Re-Sale house is extremely expensive in Singapore and i am giving up waiting for BTO. (200 people waiting for 1 unit? Come on)

I wish to ask all who is reading my post - Is it a good and wise move? Am i making the correct decision? Everyone please feel free to comment and provide your insight. I need to decide by this week as there is like only 6 Studio units left @ the promotional price. Thank you all for your input.

BlueSky

If the price is right for you, and the lifestyle is what you want, and you happy, I say go for it!

Value for money first, for me would be to hoot the biggest unit with the budget I have. Wanted to use the word afford but I think this word has been abused by HDB liao...LOL!

Just to add, it would be good if you have a driving license and a set of wheels to move about in JB. Otherwise very handicapped and miserable. Unless you wish to treat JB home like hotel, go back to sleep only. Not advisable at all cos missing out the fun!

Last edited:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi tstar,

BlueSky

Technically the closest to checkpoint is Tritower or Suasana I think.

I bought a unit nearby Princess cove at a much cheaper price but of course not as "prestigious" and i'm sure quality wise, my place will not be on same level. Personally for me, I think PC is overpriced, totally my personal opinion. Others might disagree.

If you looking for deals, Skyhabitat & Vsummer are still selling the bumi release i think and are nearing or already completed.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the price is right for you, and the lifestyle is what you want, and you happy, I say go for it!

Value for money first, for me would be to hoot the biggest unit with the budget I have. Wanted to use the word afford but I think this word has been abused by HDB liao...LOL!

I am just wondering if paying RM600K for a studio unit at Princess Cove is worth it? I am not too familiar with Property Prices in Johor. Am i like paying a good price for it? or am i being "bluffed" by the agent etc? Is that location worth RM600k for a studio? Basically what caught my eye for that property is because it's directly at the door step of CIQ and there are like 3 shopping malls surrounding it, so it's extremely convenient for both traveling in and out of Singapore, and for buying of Groceries etc.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am just wondering if paying RM600K for a studio unit at Princess Cove is worth it? I am not too familiar with Property Prices in Johor. Am i like paying a good price for it? or am i being "bluffed" by the agent etc? Is that location worth RM600k for a studio? Basically what caught my eye for that property is because it's directly at the door step of CIQ and there are like 3 shopping malls surrounding it, so it's extremely convenient for both traveling in and out of Singapore, and for buying of Groceries etc.

property got no worth it or not, only got can afford or not. haha

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
currently, i still live in Sg. I bought a house in jb purely for preparing for bad days. now use it only as a weekdnd home.

i have paid off hdb loan. however, how to pay the condo loan is a big problem if retrenched and given the current weak rental market in sg. so i think that if retrenched, move to jb and the rentals from two sg properties should be ok to cover the monthly installment as long as i am willing to accept a lower rental. it is better than having the bank take it over. btw, can also afford to buy and keep a car in Malaysia.

Several of my colleagues have the same thought. our salary ok so should be able to pay off the jb loan in a few years. then ready to go lah if forced to leave the company for good.

i bought a landed. my colleague bought pc, tropez, hh. but i am sorry that i am not really familiar with condos in jb.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
MM house for RM600K , is sibeh expensive in current market situation yo :*: But is not even a peanut for some lor .
How to advice ?:p
600K /1260 psf = MM house @ 476 sq ft

Last edited:

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
currently, i still live in Sg. I bought a house in jb purely for preparing for bad days. now use it only as a weekdnd home.

i have paid off hdb loan. however, how to pay the condo loan is a big problem if retrenched and given the current weak rental market in sg. so i think that if retrenched, move to jb and the rentals from two sg properties should be ok to cover the monthly installment as long as i am willing to accept a lower rental. it is better than having the bank take it over. btw, can also afford to buy and keep a car in Malaysia.

Several of my colleagues have the same thought. our salary ok so should be able to pay off the jb loan in a few years. then ready to go lah if forced to leave the company for good.

i bought a landed. my colleague bought pc, tropez, hh. but i am sorry that i am not really familiar with condos in jb.

I was in similar situation, Sg properties for rental, at least the HDB one, and prepared for the day the company let me go and then retired to cheaper Malaysia.

Got the Mm2h to stand by while still employed, till recently, company started retrenching, and now early retirement.

Good riddance to paying high cost for everything; no free parking, everywhere erp parking, to enjoy kopi + reading the news session. Here in Johor, at least have so many options, more activities, adventure and explorations, to pass the time, landed home for the space.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
gotcha. I think there are a few options to do this besides OSCAR. Some options like diverting mails from Singapore address to overseas address- but that costs $$ and not cheap.

I may adopt a hybrid approach instead as I want to keep address on NRIC.

etc.. opting out paper statements for all credit cards and all possible mails, requesting for online statements instead, using the govt one mail box (email) and using Singapore address for remaining mails ( hopefully all ads). I just get worried about unknown TP/LTA fines. Usually we are given 7 days to settle. I won't know that I kena until I do the next routine check on Singapore mailbox.

anyone has a different "mailing" system?

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to check how you deal with mobile phones (comms) while staying in JB. I'm thinking of using one phone (Singapore) And purchase a $10/month M1 overseas data shared plan ( people can still get to me and I can whatsapp/internet call back when necessary).

But I have a nagging feeling that I will still need a Malaysia number regardless for residential issues etc for signing up broadband and others.

What is the most practical way?

And is getting a landline a necessity? With mobile phones nowadays, no right?

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal

If all residential related bills can be paid online- that is fantastic! Save tons of time and headaches. Can do payment all through Maybank? Can through Maybank SG online or must be Maybank MY online? Is it possible to do similar transaction through HSBC MY cos I got an existing account with them now?

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
my unit sits on commericial land = commercial tariffs.i know residential rates are superb affordable but how expensive is MY commericial utility bill compare to residential rates in Singapore? Can someone advise. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.