• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
This morning on my drive back from Pasar Tani Larkin, I noticed lots of dry jungles.

a ciggiee butt should be able to kick start a huge fire work?

or fireworks rockets.

let me recount my childhood firework days in kepong kl.

it's a chinese enclave. so CNY is like a warzone. the whole kepong is blanketed in white smoke. at night it's like beirut. if there was a gunfight going on, we wouldn't know the difference.

fun? yup. of course, as a kid.

but every where, someone's house is burnt down. a few doors away neighbour of ours caught fire one CNY. i remember all the adults the whole row formed a bucket brigade to douse the fire.

once, a firework (rocket) shot our immediate next door neighbour house, into the hall while eveyone was watching tv.

i can see why the authorities ban fireworks.

Last edited:

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
or fireworks rockets.

let me recount my childhood firework days in kepong kl.

it's a chinese enclave. so CNY is like a warzone. the whole kepong is blanketed in white smoke. at night it's like beirut. if there was a gunfight going on, we wouldn't know the difference.

fun? yup. of course, as a kid.

but every where, someone's house is burnt down. a few doors away neighbour of ours caught fire one CNY. i remember all the adults the whole row formed a bucket brigade to douse the fire.

once, a firework (rocket) shot our immediate next door neighbour house, into the hall while eveyone was watching tv.

i can see why the authorities ban fireworks.

I hear someone got injured due to the rocket recently in Permas Jaya. I don't know how far this is true. But I must say its a nuisance being awakened in the middle of the night, especially when the next day is a working/schooling day. Its all well and fine on New Yera's eve or even during the first 2 days of New Year if they want to 'celebrate' although I personally am not that keen on it.But to go on and on ,which is what seems to be happening from Deepavali to Chinese New Year thru Christmas and New Year( Jan 1st), is not fair to the neighbours, esepcially way past midnight. Pity the ban isnt being enforced here.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not a fan if fireworks either, mebbe the older I get the more I find it irritating. I can tolerate people setting off fireworks during certain festive periods but it should be limited to 1 or 2 days only and also not beyond a certain time. That shoukd be fair to all.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
CNY firecracker mishap kills man
January 31, 2014

JOHOR BARU, Jan 31 — A factory general worker died when the fire cracker he lighted exploded and severely injured his face at a house in Jalan Permas, Permas Jaya, here early today.

Sze Joon Choon, 36, who was rushed to the Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA) by family members following the incident at midnight, died at 7.30 this morning.

Johor Baharu Selatan OCPD, ACP Sulaiman Salleh said the victim was ushering in the Chinese New Year with his family when the tragedy occurred.

“The victim was rushed to hospital by family members for treatment but was confirmed dead this morning,” he said.

He advised the people against lighting fire crackers as this was an offence. — Bernama

- See more at: http://m.themalaymailonline.com/mal...cracker-mishap-kills-man#sthash.YiLCsw4o.dpuf

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone knows what this mysterious island is about ? I heard something about an oil refinery complex(huge).

Full article: http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/

The Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Khaled Nordin should lead a study tour of all 56 Johor State Assembly members to the new island, Pulau Ubah, which sprung up off Tanjong Kupang, Gelang Patah in the past two weeks and to understand the serious threat to the eco-system caused by mysterious massive land reclamation works.
Yesterday, accompanied by the DAP Johor State Assemblyman for Pengkalan Rinting, Cheo Yee How, and Pakatan Rakyat leaders from PAS and PKR, I discovered and visited a new island off Kampung Pendas (some ten minutes of speedboat trip) which is growing every day and will eventually be some 10 or 20 times bigger than its present size when the creation of the island is fully completed.
This is a man-made island and is not to be found in any of the maps in the country, and I believe even Khaled is not aware of the new island's existence.
The island was named Pulau Uban during our visit.
Eco-system damaged, livelihood of fishermen affected
The new island is the result of a major scandal of transparency, accountability and good governance in Johor State, as it is the result of a mysterious massive land-reclamation project in the past month, which had destroyed the livelihood of 250 fishermen from six Malay kampongs, caused million-ringgit losses because of the death of 10 tonnes of fish and millions of fish fries in 10 fish farms in the past 10 days; and seriously damaged the eco-system off the coast of Gelang Patah constituency.
The greatest mystery and scandal is nobody in government could throw light on the massive land reclamation project off the coast of Tanjong Kupang, raising serious questions about the efficiency and performance of the Khaled state government.
What mega projects are being undertaken to justify the mysterious massive land-reclamation projects, had an Environment Impact Assessment (EiA) been done and will the 250 fishermen (with dependents exceed a thousand people), the operators of the fish farms and the Malay villagers of the six traditional Malay kampongs which will be adversely affected by the land reclamation, be paid compensation, and what is the quantum of the compensation.
Why had the fishermen, villagers and fish farm operators not been consulted and their views sought before the mysterious massive land-reclamation works started?
The relevant departments should use these two days to brief the victims of the mysterious massive land reclamation projects what is really going on, and until this is done, Khaled should order an immediate stop work on all land reclamation works.
If no satisfactory explanation is forthcoming from the various government departments and agencies in the next two days, the victims of the mysterious massive land reclamation works destroying the eco-system and their livelihoods should go to the Johor State Assembly which is meeting on Thursday, Feb. 20 to demand a full and proper explanation from the Mentri Besar.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone knows what this mysterious island is about ? I heard something about an oil refinery complex(huge).

Full article: http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/

The Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Khaled Nordin should lead a study tour of all 56 Johor State Assembly members to the new island, Pulau Ubah, which sprung up off Tanjong Kupang, Gelang Patah in the past two weeks and to understand the serious threat to the eco-system caused by mysterious massive land reclamation works.
Yesterday, accompanied by the DAP Johor State Assemblyman for Pengkalan Rinting, Cheo Yee How, and Pakatan Rakyat leaders from PAS and PKR, I discovered and visited a new island off Kampung Pendas (some ten minutes of speedboat trip) which is growing every day and will eventually be some 10 or 20 times bigger than its present size when the creation of the island is fully completed.
This is a man-made island and is not to be found in any of the maps in the country, and I believe even Khaled is not aware of the new island's existence.
The island was named Pulau Uban during our visit.
Eco-system damaged, livelihood of fishermen affected
The new island is the result of a major scandal of transparency, accountability and good governance in Johor State, as it is the result of a mysterious massive land-reclamation project in the past month, which had destroyed the livelihood of 250 fishermen from six Malay kampongs, caused million-ringgit losses because of the death of 10 tonnes of fish and millions of fish fries in 10 fish farms in the past 10 days; and seriously damaged the eco-system off the coast of Gelang Patah constituency.
The greatest mystery and scandal is nobody in government could throw light on the massive land reclamation project off the coast of Tanjong Kupang, raising serious questions about the efficiency and performance of the Khaled state government.
What mega projects are being undertaken to justify the mysterious massive land-reclamation projects, had an Environment Impact Assessment (EiA) been done and will the 250 fishermen (with dependents exceed a thousand people), the operators of the fish farms and the Malay villagers of the six traditional Malay kampongs which will be adversely affected by the land reclamation, be paid compensation, and what is the quantum of the compensation.
Why had the fishermen, villagers and fish farm operators not been consulted and their views sought before the mysterious massive land-reclamation works started?
The relevant departments should use these two days to brief the victims of the mysterious massive land reclamation projects what is really going on, and until this is done, Khaled should order an immediate stop work on all land reclamation works.
If no satisfactory explanation is forthcoming from the various government departments and agencies in the next two days, the victims of the mysterious massive land reclamation works destroying the eco-system and their livelihoods should go to the Johor State Assembly which is meeting on Thursday, Feb. 20 to demand a full and proper explanation from the Mentri Besar.

I read abt this mega project before. I tot it was canned a few years ago.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Similar thing happen in Malacca. The sea was reclaimed and it becomes a small island. Bridges are built across. So main land Malacca was being link with this small island, which was being reclaimed out of the sea. If you stay at Holiday Inn Malacca ( hotel room facing Straits of Malacca), you will see the small little island

But when you look at Malacca, there are so many land which are being unused and why do you need to implement such drastic action, to make an island out of reclaimed sea. In Singapore we are land scared, we are being forced do do that. What happened to Malacca ?

Someone said that the supplier who supplied the sand are making big money out of these seemingly useless project. Yes, such things happen. People want to make big money out of such useless project. Now if you drive to the island via the bridge, the island is still empty to date, except for some illegal migrant.

Last edited:

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read abt this mega project before. I tot it was canned a few years ago.

Someone suggested it was the Asian Petroleum Hub which was under receivership before now with signs of revival. Hope the authorities take care of the eco and compensation aspects well.

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those of you who are not aware, the Annual JB Chingay is this Thursday.
If you have not experienced this before, really recommend to watch it at the Wong Ah Fook area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chingay_Parade_(South_East_Asia)

I have been participating for more than 14 years and have watching with parents since a little kid. This is JB Chinese culture at it's most vibrant!

What time is it on this Thursday? Want to avoid the traffic jams. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.