• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mspimples

Alfrescian
Loyal
Took my parents to see an elderly relative recently, unknown to our relatives, she never liked us and every time we wanted to visit her, she will say its raining, the dogs are around and sometimes she said to my dad, why do you want to visit me, do you want to borrow money? Really hurt my dad and us as every CNY it was the same.

Bro Wuxi, This relative is not appreciative.
For my dad, he is the eldest and the oldest, in the past when my grandparents still ard, they used to gather at my house as my grandparents stayed with us.but after they passed away, seldom got ppl visit us during CNY cos my dad is one of the poorest and prob they see no benefit to visit the poor old man. Even when my dad stayed in hospital due to heart attack, none of my cousins came. Prob they scare we borrow money from them to pay the hospital bill.
Recently, 2 of my aunties came with their husbands and I gave angbao to the 4 of them.
They were surprised and asked me y u give us angbao?
My reply was, I am appreciative that u all came to visit my dad, since u all take effort to come and visit him, as my elder, it's right for me give u a angbao .
My dad is so proud of me...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Wuxi, This relative is not appreciative.
For my dad, he is the eldest and the oldest, in the past when my grandparents still ard, they used to gather at my house as my grandparents stayed with us.but after they passed away, seldom got ppl visit us during CNY cos my dad is one of the poorest and prob they see no benefit to visit the poor old man. Even when my dad stayed in hospital due to heart attack, none of my cousins came. Prob they scare we borrow money from them to pay the hospital bill.
Recently, 2 of my aunties came with their husbands and I gave angbao to the 4 of them.
They were surprised and asked me y u give us angbao?
My reply was, I am appreciative that u all came to visit my dad, since u all take effort to come and visit him, as my elder, it's right for me give u a angbao .
My dad is so proud of me...

Glad for you, its sad though when someone who is supposed to be close to you is closed off to you. I could identify with how you feel. Worse, our other relatives don't know how closed off she is to us. Its as if we are all pariahs or lepers. My dad may not be blameless but surely there is room for forgiveness. Years ago, i helped a young relative go through a very difficult period in her life while still having to keep it quiet, even from my dad. Suffice to say, there were visits to the police station and hospital. Other then enduring stares and rude questions from staff and the police, my dads relative shouted loudly at me when i arrived by cab and her daughter tried to reimburse my cab fare (still serving NS then and booked out to help)

Really sad when she loudly said now she realised why i am helping, its because of the 20 SGD (which was not enough to cover my cab fare in the first place from the camp)

In terms of financials, we are definitely doing ok but until now, i never told my dad how much i really earn as i don't want it to be revealed to them. Its better you get something real from them rather than if its artificial.

I finally understand why my dad treated me like that since young, its because he was treated much much worse, really felt sad for him and proud he still made the trip in the pouring rain with me as i went into SG to drive them to visit her.

親愛我,孝何難;親憎我,孝方賢。

These words have particular sad meaning for me.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Happy New Year Wuqi.

Hahaha... saw that, Alex from Township was trying to ascertain how it happen...... Too much orange juice......

Thanks Grago, same to you as well. Yes probably, it speaks well of her car though, to manage to speed up in such a short distance. Probably or she was likely smoking something really serious.

Guanyi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Wuqi, I can appreciate your feeling. You have in fact exceeded your duty. I believe in 善有善报. Take it easy.

Glad for you, its sad though when someone who is supposed to be close to you is closed off to you. I could identify with how you feel. Worse, our other relatives don't know how closed off she is to us. Its as if we are all pariahs or lepers. My dad may not be blameless but surely there is room for forgiveness. QUOTE]

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
初九! 开工咯! me finally get back to work today ....hope everyone had a gd holidays !

Juz a quick update on my u mobile prepaid card purchase , please avoid the BI Jusco push cart if u can ... the minah who served me really cannot make it , firstly she cant advice me in english abt the charges and she cut my sim card but dun have the pin to open up to insert to test and asked me to go apple authorised shop to do . luckliy the authorised shop chinese assistant was very helpful ,the sim card wasnt cut properly and she trimmed it for me ....
Lastly , i checked the umobile web site and realised the minah makan my rm5 top up value instead of topping up RM15 , she topped up RM10 for me only ! Total i paid RM25 which includes RM15 top up , the prepaid pack is RM8 with RM5 value and I checked my value top up os only RM15 , I am not sure RM2 is it tax ? anyway , small amount but i dun like to be deceived.

Last edited:

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar Malaysia up the ladder

Feb 18, 2013 - PropertyGuru.com.my
By Farah Wahida:

Scepticism on Iskandar Malaysia’s property market has turned into confidence as real estate prices in the growth region continue to climb upwards.

Covering 2,217 sq km of land, Iskandar Malaysia was formerly known as the Iskandar Development Region and South Johor Economic Region. It is two times bigger than Hong Kong and is thrice the size of Singapore, reported The New Straits Times.

According to Samuel Tan, Executive Director at KGV International Property Consultants, home prices at Iskandar’s capital Johor Bahru rose by 40 percent on average since 2006.

Before that, the city used to suffer from a real estate overhang, as price were sluggish following the 1997 Asian financial crisis. But now, demand for properties in Iskandar has started to increase. In particular, Johor Bahru’s property market is catching up with places like Penang and Kuala Lumpur.

Although this is good for investors and real estate developers, local residents may struggle to get on the property ladder due to the significant price increases.

Notably, the quantum leap happened in 2011, when prices of luxury service apartments soared to RM700 psf from just RM500 psf.

In addition, the tighter cooling measures announced by the Singapore government on 11 January 2013, which includes an additional buyer's stamp duty (ABSD), has also boosted Iskandar Malaysia’s appeal.

Apart from Iskandar’s well-planned amenities, infrastructures, catchment and accessibility, interesting places such as the Puteri Harbour theme park and Legoland Malaysia have also wooed foreign investors.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tenants from Hell

Nothing really new here, but worth a read anyhow.

--------

Audrey Vijaindren
New Straits Times
Sunday, Feb 17, 2013

LANDLORD'S HEADACHE: While many of us have to deal with unwelcome house bugs, some unfortunate home owners are battling another sort of "bug" - tenants who refuse to pay rent, vacate the premises or run off at night to escape loan sharks, leaving behind utility bills as souvenirs.

Audrey Vijaindren speaks to industry experts and victims of this ever-increasing problem

SINKS and toilet bowls filled with cement, walls broken by sledgehammers, damaged furniture and front doors adorned with red paint.

At one point or another, we have all heard horror stories about tenants who ruthlessly destroy a place you once called home, or worse still, refuse to leave your house.

So much so, that many home owners would rather leave their houses empty than rent them to strangers, who may turn on them from one rent cheque to another.

Louisa (not her real name) is one such victim who has sworn off renting her house indefinitely.

"My nightmare began almost 15 years ago when I rented out my bungalow in Petaling Jaya to this seemingly nice, small family.

"They were good paymasters in the beginning, never defaulting in their rent and hardly ever complaining about the condition of the house. As I was working outstation, this was an ideal situation for me and my family.

"Problems started happening as soon as they showed interest in buying the property. At first, my husband and I thought it was a good idea because our children were all grown up and the house was too big for just the two of us.

"However, as soon as the sale and purchase agreement was signed, our friendly tenants became our worst enemy.

"Six months after paying the 10 per cent deposit, we stopped receiving any money from them, be it rental or the balance due for the sale.

"After numerous calls which went unanswered, we decided to pay them a visit. We were horrified to find a 10-foot brick wall surrounding the house.

"I immediately engaged the services of a lawyer, who advised me to sue for distress. After many months and thousands of ringgit later, I realised that my lawyer was looking out for his own interest.

"Although we managed to collect one year's rental, he pocketed most of the money and discharged himself from the case for some trivial reason, right before the matter was to be heard in the High Court.

"We then engaged another lawyer who represented us at the High Court and a decision was made in my favour. But the 'tenants from hell' appealed against the decision, because my lawyer had not submitted sufficient documents. This caused the matter to be sent back and forth from the High Court to the Court of Appeal.

"After the second lawyer discharged himself, I had to fork out even more money to get a third lawyer. Through him, I finally got a decision in my favour, but the tenants still refused to leave.

"I received a call from one of the neighbours in the middle of the night, informing me that my tenants had run off. They were never to be seen or heard from again."

Although the experience had been costly, Louisa is grateful to have her house back.

"We had to spend about RM80,000 to restore the house to its original condition and pay RM50,000 in legal fees and RM2,000 in unpaid utility bills. We also lost out on 13 years of rent.

"Besides having to stay in a rented home ourselves while someone else lived for free in our house, the distress and grievance experienced by my family cannot be measured by money.

"People often ask me why I did not track them down or get gangsters to teach them a lesson, but I just want to put this whole experience behind me and sell the house that is now filled with unpleasant memories. I want to move on with my life."

Nason Ponniah, principal owner of a renowned property agency in the Klang Valley, said the issues surrounding tenancy are never-ending.

"Over the years, we have seen a lot of similar problems involving landlords and tenants. Sometimes, the premises are even used as massage parlours or brothels. Such activities are easier to spot if they occur in condominiums or apartment buildings.

"However, it is not easy to prove such things because they happen behind closed doors. We just have to wait for the tenants to default in their payment, which gives us a valid reason to evict them.

"On the other hand, property owners should not be quick to jump to conclusions. It does not mean that if six young girls are renting a house, they are involved in prostitution."

Ponniah said that the police can do very little in matters involving tenancy.

"For instance, there was an occasion where I was forced to lodge a police report because a female tenant and her boyfriend refused to pay rent. The police informed me that their hands were tied because this was a civil matter.

"They advised me to put a chain around the house gate. The girl's boyfriend had no choice but to pay the rent in order to get their belongings out of the house.

"In such instances, there is no point in hiring gangsters because in the end, someone may get hurt or killed.

"I always advise tenants to communicate with their landlords. Everybody goes through financial difficulties, but there needs to be a balance, like a give and take.

"If you cannot pay your rent in full, give whatever you can for the time being and ask for more time to complete the payment."

Unfortunately, some tenants avoid calls or become aggressive when confronted by the home owners, he added.

"I even had to step in when a newly-married tenant waved a parang at his landlord when he was asked to pay his rent, which was overdue. The owner lodged a police report and the man was jailed for six months."

Landlords, Ponniah said, should also try to accommodate their tenants' requests at times.

"When your tenant calls with a problem, always try to help whenever possible. Of course, this does not mean you have to run over to change a light bulb or repair a toilet flush as these small repairs should be taken care of by the tenants, but if a wall collapses, do not start pointing fingers and refuse to do anything about it."

Ponniah also said that although background checks were helpful, there was only so much information that one can gather.

"How much honest information can you get, after all? In this country, the most you can do is check on where your potential tenant works. You have no legal right to check on his or her private details.

"Usually, there are indications of a potentially problematic tenant. For instance, if the tenancy agreement calls for two months' deposit, but the tenant can only afford to pay for one month, you know you will face similar problems in the future.

"Also, if you meet a potential tenant who insists on moving in on the day itself or within the week, you should be cautious. He or she may be facing problems with his or her previous landlord."

Home owners, he stressed, needed to find good agents who would not ditch them after receiving their commission.

"Some responsible agents will be the 'middle person' in the case there are tenancy issues, even if it is not their duty to do so. After all, it helps to have a neutral party involved when things get heated."

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Juz a quick update on my u mobile prepaid card purchase , please avoid the BI Jusco push cart if u can ... the minah who served me really cannot make it , firstly she cant advice me in english abt the charges and she cut my sim card but dun have the pin to open up to insert to test and asked me to go apple authorised shop to do . luckliy the authorised shop chinese assistant was very helpful ,the sim card wasnt cut properly and she trimmed it for me ....
Lastly , i checked the umobile web site and realised the minah makan my rm5 top up value instead of topping up RM15 , she topped up RM10 for me only ! Total i paid RM25 which includes RM15 top up , the prepaid pack is RM8 with RM5 value and I checked my value top up os only RM15 , I am not sure RM2 is it tax ? anyway , small amount but i dun like to be deceived.

Wha, so dishonest. Promoters are always changing at kiosks. We bought from another promoter there, no problem.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Disappointed that there's no news of a 3rd road link or any update on the RTS linkage in today's meeting betw Najb & Lee Hsien Loong. Sill the High Speed Rail (HSR) between SG & KL is gd news & provides more leisure options to people of both countries.....

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was mentioned formally that Ferry at Puteri Harbour will be the new link..

I hope there will be bump boat service between Danga Bay and Woodland.. for people who cycle..!

Disappointed that there's no news of a 3rd road link or any update on the RTS linkage in today's meeting betw Najb & Lee Hsien Loong. Sill the High Speed Rail (HSR) between SG & KL is gd news & provides more leisure options to people of both countries.....

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
This HSR is different from the MRT link annouce last year ?
Does this HSR stop at JB city before going into Singapore City Area ?

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal

The RTS already got the green light to go ahead. They will decide whether its underground or above by this year.
So it's confirmed that there will be a mrt link to JB.
Anifah Aman: Malaysia, Singapore to decide this year on link options

SINGAPORE: Malaysia and Singapore will decide this year on the preferred option for the Rapid Transit System (RTS) linking Johor Baru and the republic.

It is learnt that the options for the RTS rail network include building a bridge or an underground tunnel across the Johor Straits.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said a study on the project was carried out in November last year and both countries have 12 months to decide on the findings.

Phase 1 of the Joint Engineering Study (JES) was to identify the alignment and station options with detailed assessment for the RTS.

Anifah was speaking to reporters before the two-day visit to Singapore of Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak starting Monday.

Singapore had earlier announced that its Thomson mass rapid transit (MRT) line would be opened in stages from 2019.

The 30km line will run through the north-south corridor of the island republic, starting in Woodlands, the area closest to Johor Baru via the Causeway.

It will pass through industrial, residential and shopping districts before ending at Marina Bay.

The whole S$18bil (RM44bil) line will be completely underground and is expected to serve 400,000 commuters daily.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR is different from RTS.

RTS connects JB central to woodlands MRT (new thomson line) by 2018/2019.

HSR is new. I wonder if it will come to Spore via Tuas or Causeway...

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaysia-Singapore Rapid Transit System gets the green light

Posted on February 19, 2013 - Featured, Property News.

By NELSON BENJAMIN
[email protected]

Working visit: Najib, accompanied by Singapore’s Foreign Minister K. Shanmugam (foreground right), arriving at the Changi Airport in Singapore. —Bernama

SINGAPORE: Malaysia and Singa**pore have agreed to go ahead with the Rapid Transit System (RTS) linking Johor Baru with the republic.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said both countries had a year to draft the plans on the preferred option for the RTS.

He added that under phase one, the alignment and station scheme options would be identified.

“Once this is decided, we can move to phase two,” Anifah said during a briefing on Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak’s two-day working visit to Singapore which began yesterday.

It is learnt that among the options being considered is a bridge or an underground tunnel link.

Singapore had earlier announced that its Thomson mass rapid transit (MRT) line would be opened in stages from 2019.

The 30km line will run through the north-south corridor of the island republic, starting in Wood*lands, the area closest to Johor Baru via the Causeway, and passing through industrial, residential and shopping districts before ending at Marina Bay.

The S$18bil (RM44bil) line will be completely underground and is expected to serve 400,000 commuters daily.

Anifah said leaders from both countries were expected to discuss the progress and implementation of the Points of Agreement.

“Both leaders will also travel to Iskandar Malaysia in Johor to launch the ground-breaking ceremony of the Urban and Resort Wellness project.

He added that it involved a 2ha “Urban Wellness” project in Medini North and a 84ha “Resort Wellness” in Medini Central.

Other issues to be discussed include cooperation in aviation and airport services between Senai and Changi airports as well as the establishment of ferry and water taxi services between Puteri Har**-bour in Iskandar and Tuas in Singapore.

Anifah added that there was steady progress in the implementation of initiatives under the Joint Ministerial Committee for Iskandar Malaysia including in transport, immigration, tourism, environment and industrial cooperation.

Related Articles:

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar Malaysia bears rich fruit

ISKANDAR Malaysia was established in July 30, 2006 as an economic region in south Johor. Everyone was elated when Iskandar Malaysia was announced under the 9th Malaysian Plan, promising to transform Johor into a world-class state for the benefit of its residents, Malaysians in general, foreign visitors and investors.

Modeled after the Pearl River Delta Economic Zone, with the possibility of capitalising on its location and synergies with Singapore, Iskandar Malaysia and its southern neighbour were meant to complement each other as economic hubs.

After the 2006 announcement, not much development took place immediately which caused the public and potential investors to become skeptical, while critics had a field day.

In the last two years, however, Iskandar Malaysia's development has transformed Johor Baru and the 2,217 sq km area that comprises the towns of Pontian, Senai and Pasir Gudang into a strong, sustainable metropolis of international standing.

The significant physical developments that have emerged include the new coastal highway linking Johor Baru to Nusajaya, the Abu Bakar Interchange which forms part of the enhanced traffic dispersal system for Johor Baru, the Kota Iskandar state administrative centre in Nusajaya, EduCity Iskandar Malaysia with international colleges and universities like Newcastle University Medical Malaysia and Marlborough College Malaysia, Asia's first Legoland Malaysia theme park, Puteri Harbour Family Entertainment Centre and the Johor Premium Outlets, among others.

By middle of this year, we will be witnessing the opening of Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios, and work has begun on the transformation of Johor Baru as a centre for heritage, urban tourism and commerce.

These developments, of course, have silenced the critics and brought in billions of ringgit in investments, but my main concern is to ensure that the plans, promises and also the dreams are fulfilled and delivered.

I am a town planner by profession, and I started my career in the civil service in 1983. In 2003, I was the director of the Penang State Town and Country Planning Department and secretary to the State Planning Committee. In February 2006, I was seconded to Khazanah Nasional Bhd as senior vice-president of special projects, and played a key role in preparing the Comprehensive Development Plan for Iskandar Malaysia 2006-2025 and the setting up of the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda).

I was appointed the first Federal Commissioner for Irda in 2007 and become chief executive in January 2010.

As a local-born -- Muar, to be exact, being given the responsibility and mandate to take a holistic and sustainable approach towards the development of Iskandar Malaysia is one responsibility that is close to my heart.

I received my early education at the Malay College, Kuala Kangsar and later at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland, majoring in town planning.

In 1990, I was awarded the British Council Fellowship to specialise in Planning Law at Newcastle University in England.

With the experience and knowledge, including a stint in Penang, helping with the state's structure plan, I know the importance of planing and implementing the economic, physical and social development strategies to ensure Iskandar Malaysia is a strong and sustainable metropolis of international standing.

I understand that the most important aspect of all development are the people. Iskandar Malaysia is a brilliant plan, built with its people in mind, but to be truly successful, we will need the support of the local community, who resemble stakeholders in Iskandar Malaysia.

At the same time, a sustainable economic region can only happen if the environment is managed well to support further growth in the future. Hence, the effort in establishing a low-carbon society and developing Iskandar Malaysia as a smart city.

I promise that I will continue carrying out the responsibilities entrusted upon me. No one achieves success without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude, so thank you.

Datuk Ismail Ibrahim is Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) chief executive

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

3rd road link will be studied very soon, but the article puts the date beyond 2020. I have shared the article from Business Times yesterday at this link:
http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?107472-New-developments-to-share/page86

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
3rd road link will be studied very soon, but the article puts the date beyond 2020. I have shared the article from Business Times yesterday at this link:
http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?107472-New-developments-to-share/page86

My take on the HSR, RTS and 3rd link project as follows:-

HSR: Improves Najib's prospects with urban voters in KL, Negri Sembilan, Malacca and Johor. The preliminary SG location is Tuas, which would kill the time savings. The rail in SG should be underground and terminate in Marina Bayfront or Tanjong Pagar. If well planned, customs clearance wont be an issue, as noted in today's straits times article for other cities. As this is mainly for business & leisure travel, the best solution is for this to end in the heart of the city.

RTS: Aecom was awarded the project in May and work was rumoured to be completed in Nov'11. Why the delay over the announcement of underground or overhead link then? I feel there are 2 possibilities. First, Najib is waiting for March dissolution to announce the decision. This ties in with Channel 8's report that the decision could be made in 1 mth time. 2nd, Malaysia prefers underground but SG prefers overhead for cost and other consideration (more road linkages can better protect PSA). So both sides have 1 year to negotiate on this.

3rd link: This is the most disappointing development. To ease the causeway congestion, they either need to build extra lanes/booth or create a new link. Currently it takes an hour to clear both sides during peak periods, which is really too long. Hopefully work can commence faster in this aspect....

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
My worry is really the congestion on the existing road links if expansion steps are not taken soon enough.... it is already quite bad now...imagine one all these planned developments get completed!

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal

HSR -> high speed train ( bullet train)

RTS -> similar to Singapore MRT

Definitely there is stop at JB, if not, people from JB need to come to Singapore to take HSR to go KL , ha :biggrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.