• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
On the contrary, he was in Denver where hardly any Chinese there at that time. It was in such a setting that one's identity and difference became more pronounced. Oh you are Peranakan, yeah difficult to learn new language when older.

Denver is pretty challenging as its pretty insulated than other parts of US (mile high city). Much lesser chance of seeing anyone oriental or asian but sometimes its in places like these that you appreciate your roots.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The resale market is extremely quiet. Semi-Ds in Horizon Hills were going for RM 1.5m. No takers. Reduced to RM 1.4m. No takers. Still downgrade when I checked today and cant believe my eyes. RM 1.35m now for a Semi-d. I called up agent and still, he said no takers.

Those condos @ Horizon Residence ( not yet TOP ) are asking for RM 600k +. Zero sales so far. Bought @ RM 300k plus. I worry for those buyers who bought with almost nil downpayments esp when the interest rate is 4+ %. Some bought up to 5 units at one go and can you imagine when its TOP, the monthly instalment is easily RM 10,000 a month. If the buyers are not biting till then, we can expect force sale and more auctions. Dont be surprised. Last week there is an auction for a corner terrace in Golf HH.

Went on to look @ the condo opp Tesco. Again @ RM 300+ k, no one is buying. And when I called some regular agents to chit-chat, I found that Gateway Terraces and Golf Terraces prices have staganted. Golf terrace is about RM 700K at most when new terraces are launched at almost RM 1m. Thats why the developers have encountered slow and almost zero sales for new launches except for their in-house agents snapping up units hoping to resell at tidy profits. They are panicking. Ujana apartments are asking for above 600 psf. Again, zero sales so far.

The developments with fantastic results where sales are moving must be East Ledang and golf-facing houses in HH and probably those cheaper landed in Nusa Sentral etc.

Hi Investor5, Good observation but I think the particular one/ones you saw may have been marketed by different agents who, accordingly to how they view the market and their commissons, may choose to peg it at different prices. Take for example, a good friend of mine who has a semi-d, his instructions to them was clear, sell it at 1.35m or above. Some market as 1.5m plus, some at 1.4m plus but his actual direct sale price is 1.35m and even then he can do a little cheaper as it goes direct.

One chap at Jalan Ambang 1 is migrating to Perth and sold his place for close to 1.9m if i am not mistaken. If anything, market sentiment is slow to act but quick to react so it will be sometime before we can see something of a pattern emerging. Some of my friends and family (KL/Singapore) are still in buying mode so it may actually be good news for them. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Gents,

Someone has already posted this previously if i remember correctly but anyway here it is again:

http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/prop...rice-rise-not-due-to-foreigners-says-mpi.html

Property price rise not due to foreigners, says MPI

Property
Written by Bernama
Tuesday, 04 September 2012 16:34
0 8
A + / A - / Reset

KUALA LUMPUR (Sept 4): It is only a perception that foreigners influence the rising property prices in Malaysia, as they are involved in a very small percentage of property transactions, says the Malaysia Property Incorporated (MPI).

General manager Veena Loh Geok Mooi said foreigners owned only two% of total properties transacted last year in Malaysia, although in certain states the percentage was higher, at 25% in Johor and 11.5% in Kuala Lumpur.

"In Johor, property prices appreciated 0.6% over the last 10 years while prices in Kuala Lumpur appreciated 5.5% over the same period.

"In almost all states in Malaysia except Sarawak, foreigners can only purchase properties above RM500,000 and in the past
eight years, there has been little price appreciation of properties above RM500,000," she told a media briefing here on
Tuesday.

Loh said over a 10-year period, the highest house price appreciation was in states with low population of foreigners —
namely, Sabah, Terengganu, Perlis and Pahang.
She said overall for Malaysia, prices started rising after 2009, going up 6.7% and 9.9% in 2010 and 2011 respectively.
"We should not actually label the foreign buyers as foreigners. The main foreign buyers are actually Malaysia My Second
Home buyers, expatriates and diasporas.

"The large percentage of foreign owners from Johor are likely to be the Malaysian diaspora residing in Singapore," she said.
Loh said higher property prices have very little to do with foreigners but instead are due to such factors as supply, shortage of
prime land, rising building material costs, all-time low lending rate since 2006 as well as speculative activities in the local
property industry. — Bernama

I hope this answers your question, especially the underlined and highlighted part.

The reverse is true for Singapore though.

Top foreigner buyers in Singapore are actually from Malaysia.
http://www.propertylaunchguru.com/singapore-properties-top-foreign-buyers-from-malaysia/

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/chinese-no...perty-buyers-singapore-044958449--sector.html

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I am wondering how easy or difficult it is to resell or flip a property in Malaysia before TOP or CFO. I heard that it may be quite difficult. Anyone who is knowledgeable please provide your comments.

Are these serious sellers, or just trying to gauge the market before they collect keys?

Also, keep in mind, these sellers may now be hit with a 15% or 10% Capital Gains tax. This may also deter some of the sellers.

Not easy but best not to do that to run afoul of the law. Getting discount is one thing but this is quite another.
15% only starts from Jan next year. As pointed out and also by others recently, there is exemption for 1 house but this
is only for locals.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Last week went to Tropez most of the condo units already sold out and pricing in the region of RM600 psf
Wondering it is better to go for these resale unit AT Horizon Hills
In terms of investment how does horizon area compare to Tropez , TIA

Even Nusa Idaman, Setia Tropika, Nusa Duta as well as some other developments are, IMHO better than certain developments. There are many pros and cons for both types of properties but my choice is pretty clear on the matter.

Always check out the PSF and use it as ONE of the indicators to gauge for yourself. Its always about the location, location location for properties first and foremost.

I will always buy properties with a question to myself at the end of the day before signing, If i cannot sell or rent it out, would i ever consider staying there. If answer is yes, buy. If answer is no, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
anyone knws any contact no for ordering the Gas tongs?i often missed the lorry tat normally would pass by my house.when they horn,i go out and they are already gone.

Most of the mamak shops will have it, need to put down a deposit of 50rm though if i remember correctly.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I think there is a need to remind young investors here. A young neighbour from another estate just showed me his bills over breakfast this morning and asked why his housing loan is about RM 700K only but he is paying RM 1.4M after 30 years. He used the monthly instalment to times 12 months and times 30 years. All add up to RM 1.4m. A Malaysia but SPR working in Singapore and he is earning about RM 15000 a month. He quite clearly do not understand what he is signing in the loan agreement as long as he gets a house to stay.

The interest rate for properties is around 4.x % in Malaysia and this is considered quite low already if u compare to those 8% + to 10%+ era.

You are buying a house and the loan is RM 700,000 but over 30 years, you pay RM 1.4M to the bank. If the economic crisis comes, the bank has the right to revalue your house and ask u to top up. My advice to newbie investors is not to bring in your leverage strategies into Iskandar. 2-3 properties is fine. Up to 10 is a nono. Imagine your loan is RM 700,000 per house but you are paying bank RM 1.4 million. If you got a few house and the crisis comes, its like a tsunamis sweeping across the coast. You will lose everything.

Already, I hear stories of many early-birds snapping up units in those condos for almost nil downpayments. Now we are beginning to see those RM 300+k units struck in the market. Sporeans and expats cannot buy their sub-500k units. Johorians will never consider condos if Landed houses are still priced the same. Their mindset is unlike those in Penang or KL.

Just my 2 cent worth.

Very true, i would always share with my good friends here as well not to buy anything even near to 6. Even for well heeled individuals, i told them always to buy for own stay first and then investment second.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the much awaited Legoland opening, nothing interesting about JB's developments from the news room since. Oh so bored. Hope to see more happenings soon... :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I have both. Which one you're interested in?

Please let me know if you are really serious, not competiting with bro jasonjst here.
What is leftover from his deal with you, I may consider and take one unit from you as well.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Seems new information is coming in which justifies 2bfree's perception, not sure where they get the figures for rental though:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/10/1/asia/12106390&sec=asia

SOME expatriates working in Singapore have moved to live in Johor’s Nusajaya area, attracted by lower prices of homes and the extra space there.

They have bought houses to live in and commute to work in Singapore. Many plan to continue working in Singapore for the long haul, but say they moved because their housing allowances were reduced or cut altogether.

Developers and property agents said expatriates began moving to Johor from about five years ago, but the completion of houses and recent opening of international schools in the Iskandar Educity project has raised interest markedly.

UEM Land, the major developer in the area for projects including East Ledang and Horizon Hills, said about half of the buyers for its properties are foreigners, including Singaporeans.

For instance, at the waterfront condominium Imperia at Puteri Harbour, more than half of the buyers are foreigners. Of them, 34% are Singaporeans while 37% are other nationalities, including Japanese and Britons.

David Bochsler, 40, director of sales and marketing of Exhale, which designs and builds homes in Nusajaya, moved his family to a villa there while maintaining an office in Singapore.

“With projects such as Marlborough College, Legoland, Pinewood Studios, and hospitals and universities completed or nearing completion, there is not the same level of risk associated with investing,” he said.

Popular projects in Nusajaya are Horizon Hills, Leisure Farm Resort and Ledang Heights where rentals are between RM8,000 and RM20,000 a month and bungalows sell for between RM2mil and RM7mil. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Found this from another website:-

Facing a Space Squeeze, Singapore Looks North
The Wall Street Journal Asia | By SHIBANI MAHTANI | COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE Updated October 3, 2012, 12:55 a.m. ET
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Quote:
JOHOR BAHRU, Malaysia—For decades since gaining independence in 1965, Singapore has had a tense relationship with the nearby Malaysian state of Johor, competing with its neighbor for crucial resources like water and foreign investment.

Now, as Singapore runs out of land to expand, it is joining forces with Malaysia to develop the Johor area into Singapore's new hinterland, with space for multinational companies, industry, tourist attractions and plenty of housing.

A Lego cruise ship at recently opened Legoland park in Johor Bahru.

If the Johor region in southern Malaysia thrives, the thinking goes, it also will help Singapore by ensuring big companies stay in the region instead of moving to lower-cost countries.

The main development in the area, known as Iskandar, is one of the biggest master-planned projects ever attempted in Southeast Asia, covering more than 2,100 square kilometers (811 square miles), with targeted spending of $115 billion in public and private money—if it all comes together.

Skeptical investors have questioned whether such an ambitious development about 40 minutes from central Singapore by car can succeed in an area known for high crime and mocked by residents as a poorer cousin to Singapore.

Although residents are starting to trickle in to large residential projects, and a number of condominiums and hotels are inching toward completion, much of the area is still occupied by plantations and little-trafficked roads. A smallish marina isn't buzzing yet, with aging boats and the odd small yacht—a far cry from Singapore's prestigious marinas and yacht clubs.

Yet, over the past year, a number of developments have started coming online, boosting backers' hopes that Iskandar and the surrounding Johor region will hit a critical mass of new development and begin luring more expatriates and multinational companies. One of the latest highlights is Legoland Malaysia, which opened to large crowds Sept. 15 and has plans to add a water park and hotel.

Said Ismail Ibrahim, chairman of the Iskandar Regional Development Authority, which was set up to run the project: "2012 is our tipping point."

Added Nicholas Holt, Asia-Pacific director at real-estate company Knight Frank, who visited the area recently: "For a project that has taken so long to get off the ground, 2012 may prove to be an inflection point where we see Iskandar really start to take off." Singapore's increasingly vocal support "has inspired confidence," he said.

Conceived by Malaysian sovereign-wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Bhd. in 2005, Iskandar struggled at first to attract interest, partly because of a lack of infrastructure and still-empty land. Another problem was that some Singaporean officials weren't sure whether to support the project, which they feared would compete with Singapore's giant port and export-oriented industries.

That started to change as it became clearer that Singapore was bumping up against its growth limits. A large percentage of the city-state's land mass now is covered with buildings, malls and other developments, and high labor and land costs have forced export industries to expand elsewhere. Steering some investment to the Johor area would at least help make sure business stayed in the region, with some of the jobs and support services potentially landing in Singapore.

Singaporean leaders began talking up the project in public and promised to improve causeway links between the two countries across the Straits of Johor. Plans are under way to connect Singapore to Johor via a high-speed rail link, expected in 2018.

Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said early this year that it is "very much in Singapore's interest" that Iskandar Malaysia should prosper.

"With Singapore and Malaysia there has been a love-hate relationship. But people realized we cannot continue like this," said Mr. Ibrahim. "Singapore realized they need Malaysia as much as Malaysia needs them."

Singapore also started ponying up some cash, becoming the largest source of foreign investment in Iskandar this year. A joint venture between Singapore's state investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. and Khazanah Nasional now aims to invest three billion Malaysian ringgit ($980 million) for a "wellness area" in Iskandar, with spas, serviced apartments and other wellness-related offerings, expected to be ready in six years.

Although most of the projects completed so far are modest, they have added buzz to the venture. The Legoland park, operated by U.K.-based Merlin Entertainment Group, is the first of its kind in Asia and includes 10-meter (32-foot) tall Lego models of icons like Malaysia's Petronas Twin Towers and Cambodia's Angkor Wat ruins.

"We view both Singapore and Malaysia as our resident market," said General Manager Legoland Development John Ussher. With other theme parks coming soon, including Sanrio Co.'s first Hello Kitty Town outside of Japan later this year, developers are envisioning the region will become Southeast Asia's version of Orlando, Florida, especially if Singapore's existing Universal Studios theme park, which opened in 2010, is included.

Other recently opened projects include a Johor Premium Outlets mall developed in part by Simon Property Group Inc., which has similar investments in the U.S. A local campus of Marlborough College, an elite boarding school, whose Wiltshire, U.K., campus was attended by Kate Middleton, also opened its doors in Iskandar this year. Buses will carry Singapore students across the causeway every morning to school in Iskandar, according to Master of the College Bob Pick.

Developers are hoping those attractions can coexist with large industrial projects, which will be located in designated zones far from the main tourist and residential areas. In May, Malaysian state-run oil-and-gas company Petroliam Nasional Bhd., or Petronas, started work on a $19.5 billion oil refinery and petrochemical complex in Iskandar that will have the capacity to refine 300,000 barrels of oil a day.

A slowing global economy could stall or delay some of the plans for Iskandar. But some boosters argue it might actually help in the long run by making investors in Singapore and elsewhere more appreciative of the area's lower costs. Singaporean residents who once turned up their noses at the idea of living across the causeways in Johor are increasingly expressing interest because their money goes further there, with even middle-class residents able to afford homes in gated communities with swimming pools and golf courses—rare luxuries in densely populated Singapore.

"Land and house prices in some [development zones] have already increased significantly over the last two or three years as investors and speculators have tried to get in early before demand takes off," said Mr. Holt of Knight Frank. Iskandar's executives say home prices in Nusajaya, the region of Iskandar where most tourist and education offerings are located, have risen 140% in the past five years, with two-story terrace houses costing 52% more than they did a year ago and apartments going for 106% more than in 2010.

dragonlance

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Wuqi, Jason...

I won't waste time with his posts. Neither constructive nor written with good intentions. Just leave readers with lots of negative energy...

Last edited by a moderator:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Wuqi, Jason...

I won't waste time with his posts. Neither constructive nor written with good intentions. Just leave readers with lots of negative energy...

I got PMs threatening or insinuating lots of stuff, then even people who threatened to invade this forum with their clones if i don't add their points. Folks sent me his posting back in July claiming she had no property then suddenly now she has not one but two. Anyway, i learnt to ignore. Then folks working with developers who do not want me to share certain things and asked me to delete them, etc.

Then lots of fake hermes or spam/branded threads/postings daily, this is becoming a full time job.

Last edited:

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have some friends who have gone and gave the theme park a solid 2 thumbs up. Only issues are:
1. Hot. So advice is to wear hat and sunglasses, bring umbrella, keep hydrated
2. Cannot bring in own water bottles

The Lego Water Theme Park is due to open next year followed by the Legoland Hotel in 2014 so the place still has room to grow.

On a lighter note, here are some reviews posted on Legoland Malaysia:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a-Johor_Bahru_Johor_Bahru_District_Johor.html

A 5/5 on Tripadvisor is really impressive ......

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
weird , i brought in 2 ltrs of ice cooler bottle in n kids each water bottles to legoland ....
maybe refer to those bring soft drinks in etc ....

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does make perfect sense for expatriates (likely senior/upper management only) to buy and live here in JB and commute to SG since they will enjoy greater utility for the price.

My concern is the herd instinct/mentality of Singaporeans on reading such published articles and flood the market, driving up prices artificially in the hopes of making a quick profit (now with the measures in place on capital gains tax, will likely reduce such occurrences) and depriving those who actually wish to own a home in JB.

Hi bro 2bfree, not all who are buying here are from Singapore, some expats from Singapore has been doing that for quite some time actually.
I also heard and assisted in more than a few cases where folks needed at least 90% just to buy a unit and quite a few are not investors buy
really buying for own stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.