• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend who is also staying in Setia Tropika bought most of his security alarms (windows, doors, roofs sensors) from aliexpress.com and doing the installation by himself using the user guide. These sensors are units that connects to an alarm console, where you include a GSM card. If there is a break-in, the console sends out an sms to you. It is possible to add up to 99 units of sensors to the alarm console.

Hi Captainjones,

Thank you for sharing on your friend's purchase from aliexpress.com.

After hearing from your friend's experience, I was trying to google and to find out if there is possibility to install ourselves.

Just to share, besides aliexpress, we can also purchase a number of alarm system from Taobao website: www.taobao.com and if necessary, use one of the agent in Singapore and they charge us like 4-8% of overall cost like daigou.

I have yet to purchase,just browsing...

Anyone DIY here?

Last edited:

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, unfortunately you can't do much when some are your relatives and many of who thinks too lowly of you to think your time matters too.

I don't think you need to convince anyone of anything. This forum is testament to your foresight and the great help you've been to Singaporeans who want another Taman to live in. The Sultan of Johor should bestow an award to you, IMHO.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I don't think you need to convince anyone of anything. This forum is testament to your foresight and the great help you've been to Singaporeans who want another Taman to live in. The Sultan of Johor should bestow an award to you, IMHO.

Thank you so much, i don't deserve anything, i just want to help others as long as i am still here but sometimes, i get really really tired especially when one keeps getting played out.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Very good idea. Helping others is good, everyone should do so.

But you shouldn't spend so much time on many others that you don't have enough for yourself and those closest to you. And people who are not appreciative of the help (making you wait, not even telling you when they are delayed...) are not likely to get more help from me. I am much more willing to help people that try very hard and help others. Far too many people just ask for handouts but don't put in the effort themselves.

Have to put things in their proper perspective, just took my wife and kids to Legoland, my sons height limit was not reached so was not allowed on some of the rides. Really nice to be strolling in the night and looking at all the things around.

By the way, for folks in East Ledang, Ledang Heights and Ujana, etc. Congratulations as Killiney coffee is really here so a slice of SG coffee plus soon more of the familiar chains coming into town, one bro has already mentioned about one setting up their factory/operations here.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi everyone, need to ask something. Seems that a lot of Singaporean women are going to JB for HPV vaccination and contraceptives implants. Can anyone recommend a good clinic at JB? Thank you in advance.

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need some advise from bros who've visited legoland. I'm wondering whether to take my kids there this weekend.

In your opinion, would it be very crowded such that we've to wait hours for the rides? What's your experience with the crowd on t opening weekend?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/iskandar-malaysia-will-give-the-young-in-johor-a-better-future-1.144396

16 September 2012 | last updated at 06:36PM
'Iskandar Malaysia will give the young in Johor a better future'
0 comments

JOHOR BAHARU -- Iskandar Malaysia, an economic development project promoted by Khazanah Nasional Berhad, will give the young in Johor a better future, says Johor Baharu Member of Parliament Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad.
He said Iskandar Malaysia was "not about real estate nor higher prices of property. It’s about creating a future for the young".
"Projects that have been implemented in Iskandar Malaysia will enable the ‘new generation’ in building their working life and professional achievements in their home state.
"If business activities and development are ‘Kuala Lumpur-centric’ with the aim of building a metropolis in the Klang Valley, youths will continue leaving their hometowns and villages from various parts of Malaysia to seek greener pastures in the federal capital.
"Without the development of economic corridors, many towns and cities may lose their importance as Kuala Lumpur will be absorbing all the young talents, the resources and interest of other states," he said in a recent interview in conjunction with Malaysia Day.
Shahrir said the Johor populace had started to take ownership of some of the Iskandar Malaysia projects as could be seen by their enthusiasm in landmarks such as Legoland Malaysia, Cruyff Court Iskandar and Johor Premium Outlet.
"In a short space of six years, Iskandar Malaysia has changed JB and its surroundings with the potential it could offer to youths through Legoland Malaysia, Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios, Newcastle University Medicine campus, University of Southampton campus as well as hospitals.
"I’m pleased to see more interaction between the Johor and federal governments, and the private sector. With Khazanah as the prime mover for Iskandar Malaysia, such interactions will bring together ideas and culture that will see further progress to the region," the seasoned lawmaker said.
According to Shahrir, children and students should be exposed to the achievements of Iskandar Malaysia in order for them to build affinity with the landmarks in the development corridor in the southern part of the peninsula, adding that Johoreans must realise that "Iskandar Malaysia does not merely serve as a foreign tourist destination".
"We are not building properties in Iskandar Malaysia for Singaporeans. Iskandar Malaysia and its attributes are for the people. We build for the rakyat," he explained.
Launched in November 2006 with an area of 2,217 kilometres, Iskandar Malaysia was identified as one of the key catalysts and high-impact developments under the Ninth Malaysia Plan and Tenth Malaysia Plan. The Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) is the federal statutory body entrusted to regulate and drive development of the region.
Shahrir said there was huge potential for Iskandar Malaysia to transform the socio-economy of Johor, noting that Iskandar Malaysia had infrastructure development in place and was flanked by three major ports and an international airport in Senai.
He said the idea of an economic corridor was not new as it was mooted by the late Tun Abdul Razak Hussein during his premiership and launched by Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi in the late 2000s.
In line with a balanced development approach, an economic corridor like Iskandar Malaysia will enable positive socio-economic spillover.
Iskandar Malaysia received cumulative committed investments from domestic and foreign investors totalling RM95.45 billion from 2006 to June 2012, of which 43 per cent is already realised. It is targeting to hit the RM100 billion investment commitment mark by year-end.
Boosted by its competitive edge, Iskandar Malaysia was ranked the fourth best Global Free Zone of the Future 2012/2013 by fDi Magazine of Financial Times Ltd. -- Bernama

Read more: 'Iskandar Malaysia will give the young in Johor a better future' - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/iskand...-johor-a-better-future-1.144396#ixzz26pxxfuJc

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Read your PMs, please relax it will not go up too fast and probably not as high as Penang so do take your time and always do your due dilligence first.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/prop...andar-malaysia-properties-to-see-5-price-hike

By Romesh Navaratnarajah:

Prices of homes in Iskandar Malaysia will increase in the next six to 12 months, according to Koh Moo Hing, Branch Chairman at the Johor Real Estate and Housing Developers Association (REHDA).

“Our members have not much choice but to pass the cost to consumers and we are seeing at least five percent increase in months to come,” said Koh, adding that it is mainly driven by rising prices of building materials like cement and steel as well as labour shortage.

Land prices have also climbed since Iskandar was launched around six years ago.

While property prices in Iskandar are expected to increase, these will not be as high as the levels in Penang and Klang Valley, Koh noted.

He expects that properties in Iskandar will continue to see healthy demand amid the unfavourable property market, with interest coming mainly from “first time house buyers and upgraders as well as Malaysians working in Singapore”.

These buyers are expected to follow through with their purchases as they had anticipated the price increases. Moreover, they have strong purchasing power due to the strong Singapore dollar.

Meanwhile, Koh urged Johor’s REHDA members to prepare for future challenges while refraining from being too ambitious.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Need some advise from bros who've visited legoland. I'm wondering whether to take my kids there this weekend.

In your opinion, would it be very crowded such that we've to wait hours for the rides? What's your experience with the crowd on t opening weekend?

Probably not hours but for the popular rides, you do have to wait a while. My thoughts would be to go in the evening when its not so hot or very early in the morning. Fireworks only was from 15-18th if i am not mistaken. Wife and family saw all 3 days of the fireworks but i didn't get to see much, being the chauffer, baby sitter and breadwinner in the family. Still, its a task i happily do.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Investor5,

This has to stop somehow, maybe concentrate on buying just from the developer as i have always suggested. Management has to do something, probably the big boss needs to know about this.

I would still suggest to buy subsale only if you like the area or the house or unless if you want it fast? There are lots of websites to buy directly from the buyer without going through middlemen, just need to do some homework. Again, best to get from developers whenever possible.

I hope to place more investments in East Ledang and Horizon Hills.

However as most of you might notice, the regular in-house sales men from Horizon Hills and nearby developments have gone on to drive BMW 335I, Mit ASX, Toyota Mark etc from their very humble Protons/Peroduas.

Dont believe me please make a trip to the sales office. Whenever I intro friends to the sales office, cross selling occurs where these scheming in-house sales will PUSH ( I mean literally PUSH ) their own properties in Horizon Hills to buy. They bought at cheap rate and planning to flip to goondos Sporeans or Spore-based noob at profits of up to RM 500,000. No wonder they can drive BMW 335is even though their supposedly FIXED salary is only RM 3000. A few even went to the extent of SETTING up their own interior design firms and proceed to lure unsuspecting cilents of Horizon Hills to their own firms. Cmon, isnt this a strong conflict of interest?

No wonder the resale market is sprilling out of control. This is happening everyday and in almost every single deals in East Ledang, Ujana, Nusa Idaman, Senibong Cove etc.

Clearly, something needs to be done. Sporeans and foreign investors are treated like suckers everyday in Iskandar.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Captainjones,

Thank you for sharing on your friend's purchase from aliexpress.com.

After hearing from your friend's experience, I was trying to google and to find out if there is possibility to install ourselves.

Just to share, besides aliexpress, we can also purchase a number of alarm system from Taobao website: www.taobao.com and if necessary, use one of the agent in Singapore and they charge us like 4-8% of overall cost like daigou.

I have yet to purchase,just browsing...

Anyone DIY here?

Cameras are ok, alarm and sensors will depend, if you are not picky and don't mind trunking then doing it yourself is very possible. In fact, some areas, you can just go to Daiso to get those cheap 5 RM alarms for some windows. Cut or file down the button to deactivate it (of course, always use a small piece of tape to tape the magnet to the alarm first) After fixing it, then remove the tape.

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
wuqi256 said:
Probably not hours but for the popular rides, you do have to wait a while. My thoughts would be to go in the evening when its not so hot or very early in the morning. Fireworks only was from 15-18th if i am not mistaken. Wife and family saw all 3 days of the fireworks but i didn't get to see much, being the chauffer, baby sitter and breadwinner in the family. Still, its a task i happily do.

Thanks. If we go in the evenings, what time does it close?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi everyone, need to ask something. Seems that a lot of Singaporean women are going to JB for HPV vaccination and contraceptives implants. Can anyone recommend a good clinic at JB? Thank you in advance.

Hi Raiders, glad to see you here. Yes they are, we have been saying for the longest time. Even if one don't stay here, one should use the medical facilities here. There are more than a few good clinics around, you can ask around easily.

One such clinic is opposite S11 coffee shop (nice wanton noodles/fried oysters/etc) The doctor's name is called Jian Hao (Sword Heroic/Hero) and is pretty helpful. Its opened 24 hours too and also open on weekend and PH. I will try to find the clinics name for you

Its located opposite this location: Jalan Indah 10/1, Taman Bukit Indah, 81200 Johor Bahru, Johor.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

It closes at 8pm. From 7.30pm onwards, they will start shutting access to some of the more popular rides though. Its still a nice stroll nonetheless and the night view is nice as well with cool breeze. Very early morning will be good too as not too many around still and you can get the rides easily. Lots of tourists there.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
In their marketing (though the journalists etc.) they claim to be thinking of themselves as Disneyland type place. If that is accurate, "after normal hours" use of the park will be very common. Special days have special events. Host evening events for businesses, school groups, conventions, etc.. It may take a bit to pick up, but if they see themselves as Disneylandish and they don't have over 100 events "after hours" in 2014 that will likely be a very big disappointment.

I don't really see how a Legoland can be compared to Disney but if it can then what is said above, follows.

I seriously hope that they can do some events or have a night Legoland version or something. Perharps i am one of the rare guys but many times, i work through the night so it will be good sometimes to visit before returning to work.

Many of my relatives envy my job but few don't realise, the hours i spent with them in the afternoon, i must literally return back during the night or on weekends. Almost 6 years straight now with no MC and very little leave, no leave even during wife labour and hospitalization. Apologies, digressed too much. I definitely feel they should add on to more activities or extend closing time.

Benches are definitely required as i saw quite a few people sitting on the floor and i hope that they add some fans with misting functions too. These are still wishes as i know Legoland is still a work in progress but i like most of what i see so far. Wife and myself looked on with gratitude and happiness at the fireworks and clapped appreciatively after it ended.

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cameras are ok, alarm and sensors will depend, if you are not picky and don't mind trunking then doing it yourself is very possible. In fact, some areas, you can just go to Daiso to get those cheap 5 RM alarms for some windows. Cut or file down the button to deactivate it (of course, always use a small piece of tape to tape the magnet to the alarm first) After fixing it, then remove the tape.

Thank you Wuqi256 for your reply and advise.

We are buying a set from Taobao to try it out. If it doesnt work out, have to pay and get the professionals to help.

Regarding those 5RM alarms, i saw a number from Taobao, we are planning to get some too.

Thanks for the information. Its helpful.

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, we would like to share a lesson/experience learnt earlier, we cannot bring in mirror that are packed and wrapped.We bought 2 of those from Ikea and was stopped by the officers at JB checkpointThey told us these items have to pay tax and was told to pay RM$100.

Wonder if can get some help here for some contacts? As I was reading the old thread - living in JB1/JB2, think read somewhere...it mentioned somewhere newbies' who ask questions -may not be entertained? Hope there are helpful souls here who dun mind newbies like us asking some qs.
Of course, in due time, when newbies get more knowledgeable, they can share their share of info & experience:smile:

1) Internet:
I was googling for internet providers in JB. There are a few sources, TM, Unifi (also under TM and work on fibrenetwork), Maxi (if I am right?). We went Setia Tropika office and they told us we can apply internet under TM through them. However, we send in the application through them last week and was told TM will call us directly within 7 days but we have yet to receive the call. Hence, we called TM this morning and TM told us our application was not submitted yet. In this scenario, we were thinking if there are other options/internet providers that we can subscribe to... cos we cannot live without internet. Anyone to advise? Btw, do most of you use Unifi? We wanted to subscribe that but was told our precint doesnt support yet.

2) Curtain Supplier:
Anyone have lobang on the above to share?
My landlord provide curtain thread (not sure if this is the right spelling). I thought to cut cost and recycle those we tailor made in SG home and IKEA that we bought if possible, but realise the ceiling here is too high. Measurement is like 3m x 4m ...

Besides the above, we have just shifted our furnitures in our new home. Would like to share the contact that we have used for moving. They are Superman Transport, they charge us about $800 at first, then we added more furnitures and they charge us $850. On the moving day, due to lack of manpower, we helped in the moving as well as the guys are 1 middleaged man and a very young guy. To thank them for the help, we top up a small ang bao 50RM for them:smile: Anyone need their contact can PM me.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
The sub-sale market salesmen are not much better. The so-called top salesmen from East Ledang / Horizon Hills ( names I need not mention ) are solely responsible for jacking up the resale market. They controlled the market and kept fat profits to themselves. How I know? My good friend sold an end corner in East Ledang through a fat property agent man. Asking price from owner friend was RM 1.1m. End up advertised for RM 1.3m. Friend kept the RM 1.1m but selling price is inflated to RM 1.3m. Who kept the RM 200k? Needless to say, once the RM 1.3 m is lodged, banks will base this latest sales to access the valuation, which kept shooting through the sky!

No wonder the resale market is sprilling out of control. This is happening everyday and in almost every single deals in East Ledang, Ujana, Nusa Idaman, Senibong Cove etc.

Clearly, something needs to be done. Sporeans and foreign investors are treated like suckers everyday in Iskandar.

So far when I visit the prop gallery or when I bring my friends there to view, I have only spoken with Shinyi and I think she is professional and no hard-sell. I guess there will always be rotten apples and I do agree with investor5 that those sort of behaviour should not be condoned and is very unprofessional/unethical.

I have only started investigating into Nusajaya, specifically HH, properties end of 2011 and the sub-sale asking prices from then till now have been rising fast (too fast imho). Kinda reminds me of the property price shootup experienced in SG prior to the 2008 GFC. Shocking and uncomfortable to see prices going up like this.

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Wuqi256 for your reply and advise.

We are buying a set from Taobao to try it out. If it doesnt work out, have to pay and get the professionals to help.

Regarding those 5RM alarms, i saw a number from Taobao, we are planning to get some too.

Thanks for the information. Its helpful.

hi melodysoul, go for those wireless alarm types. there are batteries operated ones. save u time and effort on laying trunkings. I have just asked my friend for the url of the wireless alarm he bought. will post it here once he replied.

geritan

Alfrescian
Loyal

They close at 6pm on weekdays and 8pm on weekends. Park close on Wednesdays. My family and I were there on the opening day. It was very hot.
Remember to bring umbrella and sunblock and lots of water.
FYI, annual pass holders only allowed to enter the park once a day. Meaning you can't exit the park and return later. Only exception is to go the your car to get something. Were told about this after we try to re-enter for the firework after had dinner at Mall of Medini.

Status
Not open for further replies.