• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
i recall somehwere i read the toll is set by malaysia side, and singapore just follow suit. anyone can confirm?

Sunday February 12, 2012
LTA: We have to match Malaysian toll charges

IF Malaysia increases toll charges for motorists using the Causeway, Singapore is likely to follow suit.

This was due to a longstanding policy of matching whatever rates Malaysia set, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said.

Motorists using the Causeway could soon pay up to five times more in charges, it was reported recently.

Under the proposed revision, they will have to pay tolls both ways, which are likely to be at higher rates.

Currently, drivers pay only one way, when driving from Singapore to Malaysia.

Cars pay S$1.20 at the Singapore end and RM2.90 at the Malaysia end.

Sources said that the proposed toll would be RM6.20 for cars one way, plus a fee of RM1.45 to highway operator, PLUS.

The total toll for cars would therefore be RM7.65 one way, or RM15.30 to leave and return to Malaysia.

Cars using the Second Link pay RM7.70 at the Malaysia end and S$3.20 at the Singapore end.

The new toll rates would be decided by the Malaysian Cabinet, said the report.

On Friday, the LTA said in a statement: “Singapore’s toll charges are pegged to those set by Malaysia for the use of the Causeway and Second Link.”

Past toll increases for motorists travelling on the Causeway and Second Link were initiated by Malaysia, with the Republic revising its rates after that. —

The Straits Times / Asia News Network

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. That was the initial agreement.
Increasing the toll will not really reduce jams at the custom.. Anyway if people need to get across to work in Singapore then regardless of cost people will still pay it.
Look at the ERP scheme in Singapore. Going into the city cost an arm and a leg yet every morning it's jam.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. That was the initial agreement.
Increasing the toll will not really reduce jams at the custom.. Anyway if people need to get across to work in Singapore then regardless of cost people will still pay it.
Look at the ERP scheme in Singapore. Going into the city cost an arm and a leg yet every morning it's jam.

actually it will help reduce jam. cos if toll goes up , more people will car pool.

about erp, i know friends who don't drive to work becos of ERP. so upping toll rates does work to a certain extent

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunday February 12, 2012
LTA: We have to match Malaysian toll charges

IF Malaysia increases toll charges for motorists using the Causeway, Singapore is likely to follow suit.

This was due to a longstanding policy of matching whatever rates Malaysia set, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said.

Motorists using the Causeway could soon pay up to five times more in charges, it was reported recently.

Under the proposed revision, they will have to pay tolls both ways, which are likely to be at higher rates.

Currently, drivers pay only one way, when driving from Singapore to Malaysia.

Cars pay S$1.20 at the Singapore end and RM2.90 at the Malaysia end.

Sources said that the proposed toll would be RM6.20 for cars one way, plus a fee of RM1.45 to highway operator, PLUS.

The total toll for cars would therefore be RM7.65 one way, or RM15.30 to leave and return to Malaysia.

Cars using the Second Link pay RM7.70 at the Malaysia end and S$3.20 at the Singapore end.

The new toll rates would be decided by the Malaysian Cabinet, said the report.

On Friday, the LTA said in a statement: “Singapore’s toll charges are pegged to those set by Malaysia for the use of the Causeway and Second Link.”

Past toll increases for motorists travelling on the Causeway and Second Link were initiated by Malaysia, with the Republic revising its rates after that. —

The Straits Times / Asia News Network

There has been a lot posted here and other forums about the "crossing jams" to both the side of the Countries. While it has become a very trying experience to cross either way, various suggestion of the "easing the jams" have been suggested by the contibutors to this and other forums.
An attractive and IMO a viable option is to build another crossing connecting the two Nation using a combination of Public-Private funding! though I think is less desirable. My reason is there will be tolls set to recoup the building cost as well as ongoing maintenance of the crossing, so my argument is in order to keep the tolls reasonable that the Governments of both nations build the crossing WITHOUT Private funding and collect the tolls in order to recoup SOME of the building cost and have at the same time a reserve fund to keep ongoing maintenance. After all it is OUR tax money from both end of the crossing that funds the building the crossing that is used.
The Public-Private funding would end-up with WE the TAX payers paying for the building of the crossing with our tax money and then afterwards not only pay to use it but also to profit the Private side that build the crossing!!!! This we have seen from the examples we have both in Malaysia, 'the TOLLS' and Singapore 'the ERP'.

Coming to the next point, increasing the TOLLS is the very example of further taxing us THE TAXPAYER and also user of the crossings into either Nation. As Malpaso and Cow have pointed out 'one side taxes the other follows' and though initially it will reduce the flow of traffic, it will eventually, in a very short period of time, return it the "NORMAL JAM". It would not have achieved it's intended purpose of cutting down the JAM, BUT would be causing a permanently additional cost of traveling to the "Other side" to either work, conduct business or for leisure!!!!

A cost that is NOT correspondingly met with wage increasing! being the current economic situation where the salaries are either frozen or cut to "help" the organization to weather the economic situation!! However when there is an Up turn in the Economy and profits are being raked in, salaries and Bonus are still scarce or non-existence BECAUSE the organization has to recoup it's loses it face during the downturn. The ONLY ones laughing, literally, to the bank are the senior management who "had to deal with the difficulties" of the economic downturn!!! Like they were really suffering the effects of it...... So the "workers" for the want of using a better term to describe the rest of the workforce i.e. US, can go and "get stuff, die, fly a kite or whatever terms use to describe the salaried person" will just bear the brunt and cost of it.

So don't get too wrapped up in "thought of" increase the TOLLS both way and we will see a reduction of the jam to both sides of the crossing. The JAM is caused not by the volume of traffic crossing the checkpoints BUT the lack of Staffing at either ends during the PEAK periods or for that matter at most times. The increase in tolls WILL NOT solve to traffic problem, it will only come back later when the necessity to crossover the crossing overwrites the increase tolls and those that NEED to cross are once again in the "JAM" and also pay an INCREASED toll charge......

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually it will help reduce jam. cos if toll goes up , more people will car pool.

about erp, i know friends who don't drive to work becos of ERP. so upping toll rates does work to a certain extent

There is car/van pools, BUT there is still the JAM. Those that don't drive in to avoid ERP, take Public transport.... Packed Buses and trains.....
Increase the fees to "Cut down the jam, works only for a short time, then back to square one and ALSO pay MORE".....

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today, I will officially write in a formal letter to ICA asking them to double the tolls in Tuas. $3.20 to and $3.20 fro is simply too cheap. I would recommend $10 in and $10 out and Malaysia side RM 25 in and RM 25 out. That means about S$50 per trip in and out of Tuas.

Don't be sabo king leh :-). Initially, it may reduce number of cars but once it becomes the new normal, jams will start again. And if there are any political squabbles between the Governments, one side will simply slow things down at the Immigration and the jams start again but the new increased tolls will not come down. Look at the COEs. Once people get used to it, it becomes the new normal.

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB is actually good for those who are keen on doing their own biz as prices there are only slightly cheaper while costs are much lower than in Sg. From the increasing jams, we can also see the increasing demand. If biz bad, still will not be burnt badly compared to Sg.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
4:45am this morning jammed at Tuas Checkpoint for a good 10 minutes. Heard Woodlands side 4am jam for 30 minutes already.

One chap in a Toyota Vio accelerated from behind and simply jumped Q like that inside the Tuas bay area. What a jerk. Expect to see more of such losers in Tuas checkpoints as they migrate over from Woodlands.

Today, I will officially write in a formal letter to ICA asking them to double the tolls in Tuas. $3.20 to and $3.20 fro is simply too cheap. I would recommend $10 in and $10 out and Malaysia side RM 25 in and RM 25 out. That means about S$50 per trip in and out of Tuas.

It will work for a while BUT then it will return to NORMAL. YOU will still be stuck in the JAM but here is the KICKER....YOU will now pay Sgd 50 to SIT in the JAM and curse YOURSELF for making what is "a money making" opportunity for the respective authorities BECAUSE a CONCERNED user of the border crossings suggested such a HELPFUL way to "alleviate the JAM" and at the same time GIVE us the excuse to increase the TOLLS.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be sabo king leh :-). Initially, it may reduce number of cars but once it becomes the new normal, jams will start again. And if there are any political squabbles between the Governments, one side will simply slow things down at the Immigration and the jams start again but the new increased tolls will not come down. Look at the COEs. Once people get used to it, it becomes the new normal.

IMO the best way is to increase lanes, build or open more booths, and ICA officers stop creating bottlenecks by the arbitrary and whimsical way of directing the flow of traffic.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of waiting for the MRT to be ready, wonder why the govt is not pushing for the current KTM system to do the short distance from Johor to Singapore.
All the infrastructure is there already. Just have to increase the frequency and make it more regular.

Davis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said Cow138 !!!!! yes it is underutilized and with the HSR coming wonder what is it purpose. Might as well serve as an OLd Mrt to earn more from shoppers and PR who work in Singapore.
:biggrin:

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the increase in jams nowadays is due to Sg govt taking in more Malaysians to work here in recent months instead of abnns, tiongs and pinoys because of our kpkb and they can assimilate easier with us compared to the others.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tourists Spend RM19.8 Billion On Shopping In Malaysia - Muhyiddin

PETALING JAYA, May 28 (Bernama) -- Foreign tourists spent RM19.8 billion on shopping in the country last year, a 6.3 per cent increase from RM18.6 billion in 2012, said Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

He said the retail sector constituted 30.2 per cent of the total tourist expenditure in 2013 against 30.7 per cent in 2012.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v7/ge/newsgeneral.php?id=1042297

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lau eh now at ica wdlands just cleared immgratn. Sg Counters only operatg at 50% so efficient ah!? MY counters almost 100% operatg. Grrrre!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lau eh now at ica wdlands just cleared immgratn. Sg Counters only operatg at 50% so efficient ah!? MY counters almost 100% operatg. Grrrre!

I have never seen MY counters operating at almost 100% throughout my 8 years of travelling to/from JB. Let me check it out this afternoon.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have never seen MY counters operating at almost 100% throughout my 8 years of travelling to/from JB. Let me check it out this afternoon.

I went into JB via causeway yesterday. Going in jut before 08:00 and returning about 14:00. Although it took some time going in or out, it wasn't a terrible jam. It was however, interesting to note that in both directions of my travel, the queue was formed on the SG side. I did not have to wait in queue on the MY side, entering or leaving MY. The "normal" situation was the opposite, not so many years ago :-(.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. That has been my impression also for the past couple of times that I have gone in. The Malaysian side is definitely putting in more effort to clear the Jams

Status
Not open for further replies.