• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Teck,

you did not ask him to quote you on the extention of the 2 bedrooms at the aircon ledge?

Can ask him for quote if you are curious, but we decided not to proceed because we want to finish asap, and I think that kind of work might need quite a bit of time.

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Teck,

I see, actually i'm planning to extend me living room as well as my masterbed room...but donnoe hows the cost like...
i understand there's quite a big diff in price between a concrete roof and a tiled roof...there's also another price difference if the extention is on ground floor or 1st floor....

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is blocked, but there is a little hole in the barricade which everyone drives through to continue on the highway towards Medini/Ledang. Dunno if it's up, but since everyone driving through, I just follow.

Hi, thanks.

Yah.. i just wonder if the coastal highway is really up and running?

cus it is confusing when they blocked it and people are sneaking into it..

who knows they block further down the road and then there is no exit to it ? :(

marineblue911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Teck,

The hacking and tiling works generally looks high. I would suggest you look for a second quote just to be sure. Aircon dun look too bad. Nowadays, inverter and non-inverter aircon prices are not too far off...but imho, unless you are using multiroom aircons (eg system 3/4), there is not alot of savings from using inverter aircons. Esp since its single blower to single compressor, I would take the non-inverter as you will not see much savings.

A 'trick' I used for my HDB rooms is to use the cheapest parquet teak wood strips (2x8in) and ask the installer to lay them lengthwise and in a random fashion. This makes it look like wood strips rather than parquet. However teak wood strip flooring is very expensive. Feels the same and looks good.

Cheers

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Air-conditioning:
Conceal & Install 3nos 2hp non-inverter a/c & piping 10ft: 1,800
Conceal & Install 2nos 1hp non-inverter a/c & piping 10ft: 800
Supply 2hp Daikin wall-type non inverter /c 3 units: 5,460
Supply 1hp Daikin wall-type non inverter /c 2 unit: 1,700
Subtotal: 9,760

*Actually I don’t understand this aircon part at all lol. I am looking to install 4 single unit aircons for each of the bedrooms, and maybe a system-2 for the living/dining

Aircon can be repaired if you get a really good technician. You should also consider the total amp. Think about your final electrical bill month after month. Before deciding on which type of aircon. :smile:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once I sneaked into the coastal highway..and found that the road was blocked near thex Myin side.
So I travelled all the way back in opposite direction...with trucks and other cars going in my direction.

At one point I can't take it any further, so just had to get out of car, pushed the barricade aside and continue my journey home. I think in malaysia, if you have the will, there will be a way. Don't worry.

Hi, thanks.

Yah.. i just wonder if the coastal highway is really up and running?

cus it is confusing when they blocked it and people are sneaking into it..

who knows they block further down the road and then there is no exit to it ? :(

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Air-conditioning:

*Actually I don’t understand this aircon part at all lol. I am looking to install 4 single unit aircons for each of the bedrooms, and maybe a system-2 for the living/dining

this part is saying they'll supply you 5 units of air con (3 x 2 HP, 2 x 1 HP) and conceal & install for you with piping up to 10 ft (distance between fan coil unit and the compressor). The Daikin 1 HP price seems reasonable, don't know about installation and concealed piping price.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
this part is saying they'll supply you 5 units of air con (3 x 2 HP, 2 x 1 HP) and conceal & install for you with piping up to 10 ft (distance between fan coil unit and the compressor). The Daikin 1 HP price seems reasonable, don't know about installation and concealed piping price.

The house come with ready aircon pipings / wire points in every rooms , NO ?

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally, a quotation from a contractor. This is a contractor who I know did a neighbour’s house, to the taste and style we thought me might like. As it turns out, our neighbours were happy to vouch for his service and pricing, so we will consider engaging him if we can work out the terms.

Highlights:

Flooring Works:
Hack and install new homogenous tiles for entire ground floor except wet kitchen (450sqft) – 9,700
Hack and install 3” merbau timberwood floor for entire upper level (825 sqft) – 17,000
Staircase 16 steps & 2 platforms to merbau timberwood – 7,000
Sub-total: 33,700

Kitchen work:
Hacking some wall, installing glass sliding door etc: 3,600
Kerbs to build cabinetry on: 900
Shift position of rear entry door: 600
Modify water piping: 400
Modify direct water to 4 bathrooms and kitchen: 750
Sub-total: 6,250

Kitchen cabinets (we getting separate kitchen contractor):
Preliminary quotation: 23,000

Hot water:
Install and supply 4 bathroom shower area and wet kitchen copper piping,
2 units 35L Joven storage heater, and hacking necessary wall area tiles (wall tiles not included)
Subtotal: 7,000

Balcony:
Tiling (with water proofing) and removal of existing fence: 3,100
Tempered glass railing U-shaped (total 33ft, height 3.5ft): 4,000
Pergola 21x6ft balau wood with 5+5mm laminated green glass: 10,080
Sub-total: 17,180

Plaster ceiling works:
Living room false ceiling (450sqftx3rm): 1,350
Dry kitchen false ceiling (110sqftx3RM): 330
Bedroom Light-box (42ftx12RM): 504
Sub-total: 2,184

Air-conditioning:

Wiring works:
40 lighting points @ 45RMea: 1,800
20 power points @ RM75ea: 1,500
TV/fan/Astro points etc: 760
Alarm system (LIFE usa tech local made): 2,000
Autogate system with battery (CEI local made): 1,650
2 TV console power point control switch: 150
Sub-total: 7,860

Painting:
Whole house (Nippon): 6,000

Changing glass sliding doors:
2 units (living room and master bedroom) L10ftxH8ft@ 5,400ea: 10,400

Carpentry work:
Master bedroom wardrobes total 15ftx9ft: 7,500

Grand total: RM 106,734 + RM 23,000 (kitchen cabinets) = approx RM 130,000

He missed out quite a few things, and some are still pending further quotation:
Installing wrought iron grilles all doors and windows, and I think his quote also never include changing the main gate to wrought iron
Replacing grilles in wet kitchen and installing windows
Think these above 2 items will add quite a lot also.

And more which I can’t think of now, but surely will happen.

Looks like must cut quite a lot of items to stay within budget...

Advice appreciated.

Bro, you have a big budget , price quoted seem reasonable . Just that some items can go without if you dont mind .

Polarbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear All,

I am planning to get medical insurance and would appreciate if someone can please advise of a good agent with contact info in Nusajaya / JB (Please pm me if can't disclose here).

Is this true that a foreigner can use his home country's driver license to drive in Malaysia for first 6 months?

Thanks and have a great weekend.

drowningfishes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi I am new to this forum, but I see many Sg bros and sis sharing their views on Msia property here.

I've bought a Nusa Idaman home but I think I want to sell it. Anyone can share with me any property agents or lobangs to sell it?

Icyraine

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi sis,..for the mortgage loan u mentioned, are u saying that the bank allow you to pay off part of the loan and safekeep that amount which you have paid them. Later if you need the amount which you have paid, they let you have it and just charge you a service fee. I din know msia banks mortgage loan operate this way...Care to share which bank is this sis?..I would be keen to find out more....

cheers.

ADD ON: Saw LGLab's post...i think this is the semi-flexi type...interesting..

I did my semi-flexi loan via RHB and i got a free 24' flat screen tv too! Extremely happy with RHB.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aircon can be repaired if you get a really good technician. You should also consider the total amp. Think about your final electrical bill month after month. Before deciding on which type of aircon. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, luckily still got quite a bit of time to consider what kind to use.

I see, actually i'm planning to extend me living room as well as my masterbed room...but donnoe hows the cost like...
i understand there's quite a big diff in price between a concrete roof and a tiled roof...there's also another price difference if the extention is on ground floor or 1st floor....

I see, yours is concrete roof? Anyway I just asked him to quote that as well since I may consider doing it still if the price is okay.

The house come with ready aircon pipings / wire points in every rooms , NO ?
Bro, you have a big budget , price quoted seem reasonable . Just that some items can go without if you dont mind .

I think aircon piping is not standard I think, not sure what you mean by wire points?

Yah, the price looks okay, but indeed I will be cutting quite a few items off the final contract, having proper quotation is helpful in deciding what to cut.

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see, yours is concrete roof? Anyway I just asked him to quote that as well since I may consider doing it still if the price is okay.

thats what i thought when i look at the specs and the outlook of the house...until some bros here told me otherwise...

Roof Covering: Concrete Roof Tiles / R.C. Flat Roof

but if i were to extend my living room, i will definitely go wif flat roof

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think aircon piping is not standard I think, not sure what you mean by wire points?

Every room should have those copper pipes , water discharge pipe and power supply with a AC switch . Which mean
contractor just need to mount the coil unit , compressor , conect the power thats all . No need to charge you piping and cabling work leh . Go look again at the sales specification , should state numbers of aircon points and location.

Last edited:

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every room should have those copper pipes , water discharge pipe and power supply with a AC switch . Which mean
contractor just need to mould the coil unit , compressor , conect the power thats all . No need to charge you piping and cabling work leh . Go look again at the sales specification , should state numbers of aircon points and location.

not all houses have that in a package... i know those from KSL (Kempas Heights, Besteri Heights) have aircon point and autogate points included... even got free alarm....

but some developments dont have those freebies.... maybe just master room will have aircon point....

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
not all houses have that in a package... i know those from KSL (Kempas Heights, Besteri Heights) have aircon point and autogate points included... even got free alarm....

but some developments dont have those freebies.... maybe just master room will have aircon point....

I see , that is bad . Need to hack walls or tiles to lay wires and pipings , it is messy and double work for us !

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 more join Malaysia’s billionaires’ club

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia now has 30 billionaires, three more than last year, despite a slight drop in the combined wealth of the country’s 40 richest individuals.

Hong Kong-based Robert Kuok remains Malaysia’s richest, despite some eight per cent drop in his fortune to RM45.7 billion.
At number two is T. Ananda Krishnan, whose wealth eased six per cent to RM42.9 billion, but narrowing the gap with Kuok.
Malaysia’s 40 richest were collectively worth RM193.2 billion as of Jan 20, a seven per cent decline from RM206.3 billion a year ago, as the global credit crisis and weak equity markets took a toll on them.
In its Feb 16 issue, Malaysian Business magazine said Public Bank founder Tan Sri Teh Hong Piow kept his third spot relatively intact with a fortune of RM12.6 billion, one per cent lower than a year before.
Despite a 10.8 per cent drop in his worth to RM11.3 billion, plantation firm IOI Corp Bhd’s Tan Sri Lee Shin Cheng maintained his fourth position.
Fifth is Bumiputera entrepreneur Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar AlBukhary of DRB-Hicom group, whose wealth grew by eight per cent to RM9.5 billion.
Hong Leong Group's Tan Sri Quek Leng Chan remained at No. 6 with a 25 per cent decline in value to RM8 billion.

Next was Genting Group's Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, who slipped two rungs down to seventh with RM7.5 billion.

His wealth was down by about 30 per cent while his mother, Puan Sri Lee Kim Hua, widow of Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong, returned to No. 8 with a fortune of RM6.5 billion even though down by some 11 per cent.

Tan Sri Tiong Hiew King of timber and newspaper group Rimbunan Hijau, and Singapore domiciled tycoon Ong Beng Seng, reaffirmed their ninth and 10th spots, respectively.

Tiong's wealth was estimated at RM6.4 billion, while Ong's soared by 23 per cent to RM4.9 billion.

The three newcomers to the list are Datuk A.K. Nathan of Eversendai Corp and Ngau Boon Keat of oil and gas firm Dialog Group, who made it to the billionaire's list for the first time.

Datuk Abdul Hamed Sepawi of timber-based Ta Ann Holdings Bhd also made a comeback after a four-year lapse.

The full list of the 40 tycoons and details of their wealth are in the magazine's Feb 16 issue. It also features the 10 richest tycoons on the ACE market.

Read more: 3 more join Malaysia’s billionaires’ club - Top News - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/top-news/3-more-join-malaysia-s-billionaires-club-1.47981#ixzz1mf6gUUwu

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear All,

I am planning to get medical insurance and would appreciate if someone can please advise of a good agent with contact info in Nusajaya / JB (Please pm me if can't disclose here).

Is this true that a foreigner can use his home country's driver license to drive in Malaysia for first 6 months?

Thanks and have a great weekend.

I will try to ask around for you with regards to med insurance.
Yes, if you want to be absolutely, positively safe? Just take international license in SINGAPORE and then use it here.
You can renew it yearly at the AA guys in SG.

I know lots who has been driving here for a while and lots now even have Malaysian cars.

Guys, again today someone tried to spread misinformation saying you can't buy a Malaysian car and yet another neighbour/friend of my mum told her that "You can't buy a house in MY as none of the houses here are freehold. All houses in Malaysia are 99 year leasehold." I don't believe your son can buy a Malaysian house and especially car, road tax and insurance he sure cannot buy!"

I really don't know where these people get their information from but this time luckily my mom already knows the facts so like me, we just didn't say anything. :(
The depth of misinformation is really serious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.