• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackbcryan

Alfrescian
Loyal
$500K cannot get you a 5-room flat in Singapore. :*:

Are you retiring there or there's good job opportunities available?

Generally pretty hard to retire here unless you have at least $3 million in CPF and cash. I came here as a skilled worker. An Engineer at 38, did 4 years of postgrad studies in a New York University. Took my own sweet time because I really was looking to work in the US then and if you are a postgrad student you had a right to apply for jobs. Didnt get one. Suffered through 1.2 years as a laborer in an Aluminum factory. Imagine a laborer with a MSc cert in Toronto, Ontario. Finally landed the big job that brought me to interior BC. That's the kind of sacrifice you can expect. Expended $200 K SGD during my postgrad years. A job equal to what a professional is getting in Singapore aren't easy to come by. Here they believe in working your way from the bottom. Plus they are very myopic in terms of qualifications. Certs are treasured in this order: Canadian, American, Other English speaking western certs, Others. Only the first two are easily recognised by the average Human Resource person. Here's a pic of the scenery from my balcony. Here they call a balcony a patio or deck. resized.jpg

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Btw, i am not an audio guy, i know very little, actually pretty much about everything i know little.
Just the good brands and i would likely not spend more than 3k on an audio system if i can help it.

Until today, most of my relatives still thinks i am a village idiot, doing things and don't charge money. Only my friends, neighbours and some relatives are really good to me.

Still remembered a distant relative of my mums, speaking up for me on my grandfathers funeral. A relative who thinks she is very rich was bullying me as she was an older cousin. She talked down to us and i just kept quiet for the sake of my parents back then.

She even complained to my dad and scolded me as i was sitting at a table and reading a book. I was trying to keep my mind off my granddad's death and very shortly, the impending NS enlistment.

I was still young then, a distant relative spoke up for me and told her off. She, supposedly a very learned person didn't even address my dad and mum whenever she sees them but expects everyone to kow tow to her. It has been 15 years but i still remember his kindness. Told my mum recently, repeatedly as i heard he was keen to come to Johore.

I would do my very very best for him to help get him something even if i have to drive to all the way around the entire Johor. Didn't know he was jobless for a while, felt very bad for him.

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Activities are camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking. Generally outdoors type.

Not into hunting but the rest certainly appeals to me. I've cycled and trekked around NZ's South Island and totally loved it. Was seriuosly planning to retire there but there is no effective "retirement visa" in place. Well, JB isn't that bad but I miss the temperate climate.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Generally pretty hard to retire here unless you have at least $3 million in CPF and cash. I came here as a skilled worker. An Engineer at 38, did 4 years of postgrad studies in a New York University. Took my own sweet time because I really was looking to work in the US then and if you are a postgrad student you had a right to apply for jobs. Didnt get one. Suffered through 1.2 years as a laborer in an Aluminum factory. Imagine a laborer with a MSc cert in Toronto, Ontario. Finally landed the big job that brought me to interior BC. That's the kind of sacrifice you can expect. Expended $200 K SGD during my postgrad years. A job equal to what a professional is getting in Singapore aren't easy to come by. Here they believe in working your way from the bottom. Plus they are very myopic in terms of qualifications. Certs are treasured in this order: Canadian, American, Other English speaking western certs, Others. Only the first two are easily recognised by the average Human Resource person. Here's a pic of the scenery from my balcony. Here they call a balcony a patio or deck.View attachment 5811

Applaud you for taking the leap of faith, now you can truly take a breather. Well done and happy for you.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally pretty hard to retire here unless you have at least $3 million in CPF and cash. I came here as a skilled worker. An Engineer at 38, did 4 years of postgrad studies in a New York University. Took my own sweet time because I really was looking to work in the US then and if you are a postgrad student you had a right to apply for jobs. Didnt get one. Suffered through 1.2 years as a laborer in an Aluminum factory. Imagine a laborer with a MSc cert in Toronto, Ontario. Finally landed the big job that brought me to interior BC. That's the kind of sacrifice you can expect. Expended $200 K SGD during my postgrad years. A job equal to what a professional is getting in Singapore aren't easy to come by. Here they believe in working your way from the bottom. Plus they are very myopic in terms of qualifications. Certs are treasured in this order: Canadian, American, Other English speaking western certs, Others. Only the first two are easily recognised by the average Human Resource person. Here's a pic of the scenery from my balcony. Here they call a balcony a patio or deck.

So beautiful..
Bro, you have come a long way.. in your persuit of life.. I used to have opportunity to live in California as well.. However in our life, there are a lot of time one need to make a choice.. Whichever choice one's made could be a good one.. Because that is life.

It is expected every country will prefer the locals, their skin colours and jobs are given to foreigners only when the locals don't want.. Singapore is a unique country because the country has divided. The rich need cheap labours.. or young labours.... Nationality is not important here.. Just wonder what we are protecting for when there is a war... however it is our choice to make..

Last edited:

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is quite common for them to ask after tenancy agreement, as much as possible, i try to fulfill such requests including rewiring or adding of water heaters in the back room or kitchen toilet, etc. I even put in solar film, etc towards the end of a lease when the tenants asked for it.

It is often wise to invest in improvements. If the tenant asks for improvements future tenants will also like and you have the capital to invest I think it is often wise to agree.

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Your Friendly Bank in Singapore!

As a followup to your mentioning of Japan 100 years mortgage, would like to add the following links as research material for investors here which I gotten with a simple google search of keywords:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/05/21/73567/index.htm

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/longest-mortgage-7677.html

Hope it will help each one of you better understand the advantages and disadvantages of a longer-term mortgage and take advantage of it according to your risk personality.

I must add ... to be filthy rich in property investment, one has to be quick and merciless. Don't worry about your decedents future ability to own a property on their own, you shall take it as your task to provide for them. :smile:

This seems crazy for 2 reasons. First just because 100 year mortgages for a house are crazy. Second, the population of Japan is declining. That is not the environment in which real estate prices surge. Japan has been extremely reticent to accept emigration. Unless that changes the declining population is almost certain.

Iskandar RE is booming because of the anticipated (and to a minor degree already started) increase in population. You need increase in population with the ability to afford the real estate (either as owners or renters) to have sustainable RE value increases. You can have speculative bubble without this but eventually it comes down to that.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

This seems crazy for 2 reasons. First just because 100 year mortgages for a house are crazy. Second, the population of Japan is declining. That is not the environment in which real estate prices surge. Japan has been extremely reticent to accept emigration. Unless that changes the declining population is almost certain.

Iskandar RE is booming because of the anticipated (and to a minor degree already started) increase in population. You need increase in population with the ability to afford the real estate (either as owners or renters) to have sustainable RE value increases. You can have speculative bubble without this but eventually it comes down to that.

Agree, the plans for the "Japanese" invasion has been finally revealed the last few months. Slowly but surely, they are coming.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Agree, the plans for the "Japanese" invasion has been finally revealed the last few months. Slowly but surely, they are coming.[/QUOT

U mean Jap r coming to Malaysia? More than Singaporeans?

Lets just say a sizable number are coming, own condo block, small Japan town etc.

Even an Austrian friend wants to buy here and just heard, a very very conservative friend has even started making enquiries to a very close buddy of mine.

The Deutsch folks speaking are probably going to have an Oktoberfest here again this year.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lets just say a sizable number are coming, own condo block, small Japan town etc.

Even an Austrian friend wants to buy here and just heard, a very very conservative friend has even started making enquiries to a very close buddy of mine.

The Deutsch folks speaking are probably going to have an Oktoberfest here again this year.

Okay, JB doesnt sound cheap 10 years down the road... It seems that your investments in JB are paying off. Malaysia is still very much more stable and promising than many countries now.

Status
Not open for further replies.