• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kong Hei Fatt Choy to everyone!

Received a worrying email from a friend who had gone to Jusco at Bukit Indah at 2 in the afternoon on Tuesday and found on emergence at 3.30 into the legitimate car park that their new Honda had been stolen. The thieves were caught on camera only at the exit (tailgated with a co-criminal’s car, so they did not need a separate exit ticket). The hassles!

It was discussed among the neighbours and some said that they were, at times, conscious of being watched – ergo, take your suspicions to heart and check on your car, purse and general safety at such times.

As always - some bad stuff comes with the very good rest of the territory. Vigilance is essential, particularly before festivals and during them.

Car theft are the works of syndicates. Someone lost his car in the same way, through some JB connections managed to get back his car (less audio components + whatever gadgets). The price to recover your lost car is RM5k. But i am not the person with the connection hor.

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah bro cny JPO will be open 10am-10pm.

Thanks Bro Narmi,

We went to JPO finally for the first time today, with my wife and friends. Went out of Tuas at 9.30 pm and there were only a few cars. Drove straight into immigration counter on both sides. Reached JPO at 10.00. Very few cars and stores almost empty. However, by noon, the place was packed. When we left at 2.00 PM, lines were beginning to form outside the stores and there were people waiting to park. There were some very good bargains at Clarks, Geox, CK, AX, etc. Had lunch at Absolute Thai and both food and service were excellent. Overall, the place exceeded our expectations.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Lastresort & Arsenal , Gong Xi Fa CaiThank you for writing to HH management to get them to address management and security issue. I agree with Arsenal that more trees should be planted at the perimeter, if not for trying to cut down traffic noises , at least for aesthetics. Would give a look of 'leafy' retreat that one would be wondering " must be GRAND to be living in THAT development

Bro,...i think i know where HH management coming from - there is no better advertisement than showcasing the prestine golf course while people drive along the coastal highway. Thats why i reckon tree planting will not happen anytime soon.

cheers.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went in at around 9.30 am today too,...smooth as silk. First stop was at Bestari's Giant. Felt very honoured. Maciam they open the whole shopping only for wife and I. No other shoppers in sight!..haha. Went to Habib for makan and later drove along Nusa Duta. Was amazed at the balcony extension/facade that many bros have done for their houses....in my opinion, some quite garish...while most are tastefully done. I pray hard my neighbour got a bit of taste else...

Any bros have done balcony extension where there is no balcony to begin with?..presently, just a concrete roof for the car porch. wonder can it be done and how much that will cost....i calculated with a balcony built on the present car porch roof, it will add at least 250 sqft of usable space.mmm.

after some more buying, came out via tuas around 3+...smooth too..hehe.

cheers bros,..and gong xi fa cai again.

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI NI is Nusa Idaman and is located along the stretch between Jusco Bukit Indah and Horizon Hills. Closer to Hills than Jusco Bukit Indah.

Tks.

This morning went down to Bt Indah. The malay staff really pissed me off! Told her I would like to view 3 units there. She only brought us to view 1 unit, then drove us back to the office. When reminded her again, she replied she forgotten all about it. Like no motivation in her work! I do remember we did mention in the car. Most of the time on her HP. Really amazes me how come estabished co like Setia Gp got such staff? Cos of this incident, my wife told me to view other places! Their future upcoming project Semi-D...which is beyond my budget.

Polarbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone please recommend a good agent as I am planning to rent a house / apartment in Nusajaya? Also, do I have to pay agent a commission as tenant or it's owner who pays the commission.

Had anybody ever visited Nusa Perdana Apartment (in Gelang Patah)? How is the security there?

Cheers!

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now u get me started, maybe allow me to list the pros and cons of getting a place in JB...especially for newbies who are still undecided...

Pros.
1. Inflation hedging
2. Retirement place
3. low entry price compared to similar house type in SG
4. Allow for 1+1 model - stay in one, rent out the other
5. Diversify across currency (SG and RM)
6. Space for kids to play and learn, store things etc
7. Lower cost of living
8. Holiday home allowing for short getaways. springboard to other parts of Msia

Cons.
1. bottleneck at checkpoints
2. security concern
3. public transport lacking
4. language can sometimes be a hinderance

To me, the pros simple outweigh the cons..haha.

cheers.

hi bro yonglip,

Let me help you blunt the Cons, from my humble view only lah... There is only one real Con. That is the bottleneck at checkpoints. But it can be managed by proper time management (many good tips in previous posts by bro/sis already staying in jb and commuting) to avoid the peaks... but when you have kids studying in Primary & Secondary levels, it takes a little more commitment.

Security - stay in G&G and buy a local car , ie the proton or perodua to move around. No COE.

Public transport lacking? actually this is a plus. car & petrol to much cheaper that you will enjoy the door-to-door convenience & freedom of having your own car . . . but yes lah have to rely on public transport if you do not wish to buy a Singapore car for the cross-border commute.

Language? No problem lah. Malaysians all speak English. Just ask. If not, Hokkien & Mandarin is widely used.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of worrying about drop of property price, why not do something to give back to society
to help narrow the gap of rich and poor?

If everyone took step to help the less privileged and narrow the rich poor gap, there will be less crime
and your property price will rise.

So Singapore managed to increase its property prices and at the same time reduce its crime rate* , simply by going into charitable mode? I need to really twist my neck to see that one.

* (exceptions can be found in certain pockets like Bedok Reservoir & Geylang)

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was amazed at the balcony extension/facade that many bros have done for their houses....in my opinion, some quite garish...while most are tastefully done. I pray hard my neighbour got a bit of taste else...

Any bros have done balcony extension where there is no balcony to begin with?..presently, just a concrete roof for the car porch. wonder can it be done and how much that will cost....i calculated with a balcony built on the present car porch roof, it will add at least 250 sqft of usable space.mmm.

actually I also had the same question in my head. Is it structually stable to do so? Any civil engineers?

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kong Hei Fatt Choy to everyone!

Received a worrying email from a friend who had gone to Jusco at Bukit Indah at 2 in the afternoon on Tuesday and found on emergence at 3.30 into the legitimate car park that their new Honda had been stolen. The thieves were caught on camera only at the exit (tailgated with a co-criminal’s car, so they did not need a separate exit ticket). The hassles!

It was discussed among the neighbours and some said that they were, at times, conscious of being watched – ergo, take your suspicions to heart and check on your car, purse and general safety at such times.

As always - some bad stuff comes with the very good rest of the territory. Vigilance is essential, particularly before festivals and during them.

hi mallow,
nice to see you back. By the way, Honda was SG plate?

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bukit Ceylon is in downtown KL but not in the so called "KLCC area" - at best "near KLCC area". A bit optimistic to expect >6% rental return for RM 1400 psf buying price immediate term. Realistically, 4% is possible in the short term and 6% probably within 5 years in my humbe view.

Like most in this forum, I do believe Nusajaya has huge potential in both short and medium term. Don't need to look elsewhere.....we are sitting on the future yet to be discover.

Wishing everyone a great dragon year ahead that come roaring to Iskandar Malaysia.

I think that article of RM1400psqft is to be taken very cautiously.
The true issue there is whether shoebox/mickey mouse apartments will catch on in KL where space is in abundance. Author said built up 450 sqft.
Like Singapore where such units artificially increase $psqft but the potential returns for such places are in still in question.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have also thought of the ideal situation.
we buy a semi in jb.
then get either my parents to rent out their hdb (as copi $$$ for retirement), or her parents to rent out theirs,
then my own hdb rent out to finance the semi.
this plan would allow them to retire early, and everyone have a larger house to stay in, among other benefits :biggrin:

we and our children stay at level 3, parents in level 2, and ground for living & common activities.

but the not so ideal situation.. my wife can't tahan my mom (vice versa.. damn...) :confused:
my wife's dad doesn't like to move.. not even from amk to sengkang within sg

oh well.. that's life..

Why not buy two intermediate terrace side by side? This way can be cheaper than one semi and you can tear the fence down to enjoy more space, yet have own privacy? (But of course if you want to do this, avoid those with strata title :wink: )

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,...i think i know where HH management coming from - there is no better advertisement than showcasing the prestine golf course while people drive along the coastal highway. Thats why i reckon tree planting will not happen anytime soon.

cheers.

Care to join me? Every now and then I throw durian seeds along the road towards HH when I come back but so far I have yet see it grown. I wonder why?

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/world...BzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Happy New Year everyone

Something to share, Malaysia listed as 4th best place to retire in Yahoo. Happy reading!

4. Malaysia.

Kuala Lumpur
In Malaysia, you can live quite comfortably. For instance, you can rent a sea-view apartment on Penang Island for $1,000 a month. Plus, Malaysia has a unique retirement benefit called the My Second Home program, which is open to all foreigners who want to retire to one of Asia’s best-value destinations, International Living said. And while it might not seem so, the editors said Malaysia is also an easy place in which to integrate. You’ll find plenty of locals who want to practice their English-speaking skills. And you can catch a feature movie — in English — for $4. And there’s a good infrastructure in place for retirees. There’s Internet access, quality roads and cell phone coverage, among other must-haves for ex-pats.
Prescher had this advice for retirees and would-be retirees who want to retire abroad. Make sure you spend as much time on the ground in the country to which you plan to retire. Vacationing in a country is much different from living there. When you vacation somewhere, you never really have to open a bank account or order phone service. Instead, he suggests renting a place in your retirement haven.

Last edited:

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually I also had the same question in my head. Is it structually stable to do so? Any civil engineers?

Wat I hv done for my carporch roof years ago. Check with an architect to see if the existing pillar are strong enough to take the conversion from roof to terace, make sure u have a good water proofing, on top of your columns, I did planter boxes for plants, the rest I used timber strips as it not as heavy as full bricks. Hacked an opening for door n steps down to terrace.

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal

Din measure the size.. (picture during reno previously)
hack the walls to create a door to enter balcony..
contractor says no need to reinforce..

Occasionally going out to balcony during evenings to enjoy the cool breeze..
CIMG0685.JPG

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Care to join me? Every now and then I throw durian seeds along the road towards HH when I come back but so far I have yet see it grown. I wonder why?

You need to push the seed into the ground and fertilize it with min your pees.. and if not your poo..

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Din measure the size.. (picture during reno previously)
hack the walls to create a door to enter balcony..
contractor says no need to reinforce..

Occasionally going out to balcony during evenings to enjoy the cool breeze..
View attachment 3585

Thanks bro. Will most likely hack the walls to create a simple balcony - wall and glass combi type. Cos on floor plan, the RC flat roof for the car porch is as big as the size of Master bed room,..will be a waste to let it just be a roof.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.