• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now I kind of understand how Wuqi and some other forumers have mentioned about friends / family looking down on the very idea of moving to JB. I decided to reveal to some friends over dinner and they immediately assume that I was having some problems financially (some even asked if loan sharks are chasing me). Damn sad these people. Tried to convince them of the benefits of staying in JB (on top of the fact that I have some work here and it'll be convenient for me), but they just chuckled. Frankly, I don't care for most of them as they are just friends (and they come and go). But to those who are really close to me, how do I actually let them see the benefits? I have not stayed in JB yet so I am not so sure how much savings u can really enjoy and what are the pros so I can actually let them see it? Care to share, guys?

bro. you need not convince others. You have to first convince yourself. Once you do it and others see the benefits, they will be convinced naturally...

For me the 2nd home in JB allows me to

1. have additional storage space for all my 'junk' in SG. There is no need to rent storage space and pay like $200 a month.
2. execute my 1+1 plan during retirement. Stay in one and rent out the other. In fact I can even do it now if i want to. Less stress on the job not worrying about being fired. To replicate the same 1+1 model in SG will cost me at least 5 times more.
3. create a sanctuary for my 3 kids and give them a break away from TV and internet over the weekends. The large space also offers loads of teaching opportunities for them in terms of life skills.
4. pipe into the growth of iskandar. A form of investment.
5. diverisfy across country and currency (no matter SGD stong or weak vis RM), i can sleep easy. Never put all your eggs into a single basket. Especially when one of the basket is getting more and more expensive.
6. enjoy a cheap holiday home. A quick getaway everytime, anytime and in the process save loads travelling to other countries.

.........and more. i believe bros here got more to fill..

Many get too caught up with the crime stats and superiority complex and fail to see the opportunities offered by Msia.

Cheers bro.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
modern kampung life is wonderful, save on cost and relax to a good mental and physical health, only need to invest in patience.
long absence. the forum is 'cancerous' growing so fast but am glad that there is a altruistic support group for newbies and amongst elders.

the simplest way to see savings is in cars and houses. car metal for car metal, psf for psf. daily expenditure is also reduced for groceries (certain items, a number of them), utilities, petrol etc (depending on how one lives, commutes, spend time).

for example, I have managed for 2 months to stay below the RM20 threshold and have been enjoying free utilities. Anything lesser than RM20 = free as bro toyophon mentioned. I am pleasantly surprised to see the white letter in place of the usual utility slip (again I am not living in abject darkness). My friend in SG mentioned he has gotten a shock with utilities in S$400 range (family of 4 ~ S$100/pax) recently after the 2nd increment of the year. A friend commented its ridiculous to be living in LF and yet be paying nothing for utilities its meant for kampung dwellers! well, living cheaply is not discriminatory I replied, tongue in cheek.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Adding on to the list. This can be a thread of itself, or be added under the existing thread of "newbie questions"?

Pros of staying in JB

1. have additional storage space for all my 'junk' in SG. There is no need to rent storage space and pay like $200 a month.
2. execute my 1+1 plan during retirement. Stay in one and rent out the other. In fact I can even do it now if i want to. Less stress on the job not worrying about being fired. To replicate the same 1+1 model in SG will cost me at least 5 times more.
3. create a sanctuary for my 3 kids and give them a break away from TV and internet over the weekends. The large space also offers loads of teaching opportunities for them in terms of life skills.
5. diverisfy across country and currency (no matter SGD stong or weak vis RM), i can sleep easy. Never put all your eggs into a single basket. Especially when one of the basket is getting more and more expensive.
6. enjoy a cheap holiday home. A quick getaway everytime, anytime and in the process save loads travelling to other countries.
7. Costs of cars - no COE and long tenure
8. Cheaper groceries (certain items, a number of them)
9. Much Cheaper utilities
10. Cheaper petrol - 1/2 price
11. Free parking at home. No season ticket needed.
12. Very cheap public parking. Only RM0.60 per hour using the coupon. Even at shopping mall, it's cheap. RM1 maximum at jusco (sheltered at jusco tebrau). Sutera mall is free. Even ksl etc charge reasonable rate with WIDE parking lots
13. Lots of cheap food with parking space provided! And lots of seafood eateries with natural "waterfront" settings, eg at senibong, orang asli laguna etc
14. Professional Hair saloon - at least half price for professional cut, hair coloring etc
15. Low annual property tax? (can bro who owns ppty in Sg verify this?)
16. can keep pets, even big breeds, subject to DMC at certain tamans
17. Lifestyle - this is the most crucial to me. It's a total different experience in a much more enjoyable and breathtaking way
18. At least most of us can now own a piece of land
19. Many products in sinkie are imported from Malaysia. Now, we can buy direct, with us being in Malaysia
20. If u go into MM2H, u can enjoy high car tax exemption of around 30 to 50% (subject to verification on the %)
21. High fixed deposit rate
22. Cheap medical cost. For a private general practitioner consultation is equivalent to a so-called subsidized rate in sinkie. The subsidized rate in sinkie normally comes with cheap and ineffective medicines. Experience for medical treatment (speaking about clinics only based on personal experience, dont know about hospital) in JB was much more better and lots of options to choose from
23. Medicines at pharmacists ( over the counter and without need of prescription) in JB are cheaper (usually I can save at least 30 to 50%) on the same medicines
24. Car repair/motor workshop - a lot cheaper (as shared by bro wuqi many times before)

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Adding on to the list. This can be a thread of itself, or be added under the existing thread of "newbie questions"?

Pros of staying in JB

24. Car repair/motor workshop - a lot cheaper (as shared by bro wuqi many times before)

25. Many years ago, after the Cheng San GRC loss, a certain politician ran to Johor because he found it safer than the island.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone volunteer to copy and paste all these add-ons? Very troublesome for me to do it via phone.

26. Cheap health supplement. If u have bought eu yang sang before, I always buy a product from them in JB and the cost is 58% cheaper!

25. Many years ago, after the Cheng San GRC loss, a certain politician ran to Johor because he found it safer than the island.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pros of staying in JB (from DreamorAction)

12. Very cheap public parking. Only RM0.60 per hour using the coupon. Even at shopping mall, it's cheap. RM1 maximum at jusco (sheltered at jusco tebrau). Sutera mall is free. Even ksl etc charge reasonable rate with WIDE parking lots
13. Lots of cheap food with parking space provided! And lots of seafood eateries with natural "waterfront" settings, eg at senibong, orang asli laguna etc
14. Professional Hair saloon - at least half price for professional cut, hair coloring etc
17. Lifestyle - this is the most crucial to me. It's a total different experience in a much more enjoyable and breathtaking way
19. Many products in sinkie are imported from Malaysia. Now, we can buy direct, with us being in Malaysia
20. If u go into MM2H, u can enjoy high car tax exemption of around 30 to 50% (subject to verification on the %)
22. Cheap medical cost. For a private general practitioner consultation is equivalent to a so-called subsidized rate in sinkie. The subsidized rate in sinkie normally comes with cheap and ineffective medicines. Experience for medical treatment (speaking about clinics only based on personal experience, dont know about hospital) in JB was much more better and lots of options to choose from
23. Medicines at pharmacists in JB are cheaper (usually I can save at least 30 to 50%) on the same medicines
26. Cheap health supplement. If u have bought eu yang sang before, I always buy a product from them in JB and the cost is 58% cheaper!

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
external water supply is powerful enough to flow up to the tank on the roof, but water stored in the tank drops to second floor yields only a bit of energy, hence it is low pressure. Heard some houses got a bypass installed on the tank and let external water supply go straight to the end users. The only disadvantage is no water when external supply is cut off. Note that anyr govt/private supplier never send out notification when they want to turn off.
Hi Arsenal, read your posts on the water pressure and glad to know that you had somehow solved it.

The water pressure at my HH Golf is also very low for the second level; so low, it cant even activate the water heater to work lol. Right now, we are taking our bath at the ground floor bathroom only. Imagine, we have 4 bathrooms in our house and we cant use the 3 bathrooms at the 2nd floors for baths - quite pathetic. I have consulted my contractor on how I can increase the pressure and he said that there is a water tank at the roof. He said that the water from the mains is directed into this tank. He could install a bypass tap to divert the water from mains, from the tank to the pipes and that would increase the water pressure somewhat.

I thought having a water tank at the roof should increase my 2nd floor water pressure, but I learned it was otherwise. Can anyone advise on this? Also, does anyone know, if there is a pump, similar to Arsenal's, at my water tank? Sorry to sound so useless; my house is a corner terrace and I am not good at this plumbing thingy. : ( Would appreciate any help I can get.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
23. Medicines at pharmacists in JB are cheaper (usually I can save at least 30 to 50%) on the same medicines
27. Golf are cheaper in Malaysia and have more courses to play , those who think golf is expensive SG , its not when you play in JB.
28. Beauty and Hair Services are much cheaper .

Last edited:

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question really is how did u manage to keep it under 20RM?

i don't use a tv or desktop or dryer am married to my laptop :biggrin:. i switch on lights when necessary. use heater for night bath, usually the heat can last till morning. aircon usually on very hot nights only and ceiling fan all the way. installed mosquito netting realized good circulation sometimes don't even need fan especially in the nights. spend a lot of time at clubhouse hooked on free wifi. plus am a singleton. its may be much harder for a family i think!

modern kampung life is wonderful, save on cost and relax to a good mental and physical health, only need to invest in patience.

tansi: haha cryptic message. yes nodding furiously patience is definitely a must though i am short on those from time to time.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
27. Golf are cheaper in Malaysia and have more courses to play , those who think golf is expensive SG , its not when you play in JB.
28. Beauty and Hair Services are much cheaper .
29. Going to the movies are cheaper (about Rm10)
30. "Cheap" movie discs everywhere

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking of wires, I am thinking of proposing either 1 or 2 rows of barbed wire run along the top of the entire stretch of fencing right beside the main road to the Presint 8. Don't think it's a big deterrent especially to those with real intent, but at least it's not too unsightly. Do you think it will gain support?

i am sure it will gain support from the residents but we have to pay ourselves.
I doubt UEM will pay .

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now I kind of understand how Wuqi and some other forumers have mentioned about friends / family looking down on the very idea of moving to JB. I decided to reveal to some friends over dinner and they immediately assume that I was having some problems financially (some even asked if loan sharks are chasing me). Damn sad these people. Tried to convince them of the benefits of staying in JB (on top of the fact that I have some work here and it'll be convenient for me), but they just chuckled. Frankly, I don't care for most of them as they are just friends (and they come and go). But to those who are really close to me, how do I actually let them see the benefits? I have not stayed in JB yet so I am not so sure how much savings u can really enjoy and what are the pros so I can actually let them see it? Care to share, guys?

actually i didnt share with much ppl on my move to JB . Even my own family also very skeptical , they are saying I am moving backwards instead of moving advance by living in JB .
Well , its my OWN life . I know what its good for me.
Now my 3rd sis is complaining that child care fees is increasing , if she going to send her second son to Kinderland , she still have to pay abt $700 after subsidised from govt. So 2 sons in child care , going to pay $1400 at least .
No need to use words to convince them . When they see u having a better life in JB , they will come to u .

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually i didnt share with much ppl on my move to JB . Even my own family also very skeptical , they are saying I am moving backwards instead of moving advance by living in JB .
Well , its my OWN life . I know what its good for me.
Now my 3rd sis is complaining that child care fees is increasing , if she going to send her second son to Kinderland , she still have to pay abt $700 after subsidised from govt. So 2 sons in child care , going to pay $1400 at least .
No need to use words to convince them . When they see u having a better life in JB , they will come to u .

Well said! This is a more sustainable arrangement in the long run. Sadly, we don't have enough people who can see beyond the current situation and realise that their limited funds may not stretch into their twilight years.

I was speaking to some business associates who are predicting a steady migration. The island is no longer a value-for-money place but not that we are unaware. It is more a lifestyle product now with F1, casinos et al.

Even expatriates are relooking at the value proposition for Singapore which the equation has changed dramatically over the last few years. No expat package, expensive housing. But of course they are still coming since the open arms policy is in place and the situation in US/Europe look stark for now.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Abugumgum

Dun say cheap la , say affordable ...
Ppl always say we sinkie are like birds chripping when in msia coz everythng we say or buy comes with " Cheap Cheap Cheap"

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have my fullest support, bro. Both hands and legs up in the air.

Speaking of wires, I am thinking of proposing either 1 or 2 rows of barbed wire run along the top of the entire stretch of fencing right beside the main road to the Presint 8. Don't think it's a big deterrent especially to those with real intent, but at least it's not too unsightly. Do you think it will gain support?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Abugumgum

Dun say cheap la , say affordable ...
Ppl always say we sinkie are like birds chripping when in msia coz everythng we say or buy comes with " Cheap Cheap Cheap"

Hehehe, i am also guilty of that sometimes so i try not to say it at all these days.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
long absence. the forum is 'cancerous' growing so fast but am glad that there is a altruistic support group for newbies and amongst elders.

the simplest way to see savings is in cars and houses. car metal for car metal, psf for psf. daily expenditure is also reduced for groceries (certain items, a number of them), utilities, petrol etc (depending on how one lives, commutes, spend time).

for example, I have managed for 2 months to stay below the RM20 threshold and have been enjoying free utilities. Anything lesser than RM20 = free as bro toyophon mentioned. I am pleasantly surprised to see the white letter in place of the usual utility slip (again I am not living in abject darkness). My friend in SG mentioned he has gotten a shock with utilities in S$400 range (family of 4 ~ S$100/pax) recently after the 2nd increment of the year. A friend commented its ridiculous to be living in LF and yet be paying nothing for utilities its meant for kampung dwellers! well, living cheaply is not discriminatory I replied, tongue in cheek.

Good for you euphony, save money plus living like a hermit with very little in utilities, keeping things green as well. As you have more land, why not think of getting solar panels and wind turbines? Not joking, i think you can generate enough with battery banks to power simple lights or even fans, etc at night.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
We have to be like the foreign workers.. Make money in Singapore while one still can, and be prepared to retired somewhere when he is no longer employable or economical viable to the govt.... Don't ask what the country can do for you. Ask what you can do for yourself and family...

If you are rich, you can always choose to live in Singapore if you are happy to be a walking ATM for the govt..and be the so called elites which need lots of cheap workers to service you..

Exactly, establishing a reverse hinterland is key, the guys in MY are not our enemies. This place does not need a boat (you can if you want to) or a plane to get you there. There is no back up in SG, if you fail you have nothing. Thats why people are beginning to see through things and think for themselves.

At the end of the long tunnel, there is only a furnace waiting for you. - This single statement by a formely super staunch PAP supporter woke me up and sent me packing to explore the hinterland.

Status
Not open for further replies.