• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Less nitrate is good for you...

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great article! Yes preserved meats and foods are a huge source of nitrates. Best to avoid them by eating fresh alternatives. Eg if die die must eat sausages, go buy the fresh deli ones once in a while as a treat. Luncheon meat is NOT suitable for everyday consumption.

Extract from the article zihau linked:

"Specifically, it found that people hospitalized for an episode of mania had more than three times the odds of having ever eaten nitrate-cured meats than people without a history of a serious psychiatric disorder."

Too much Maling may literally drive you crazy!

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wanna be less explosive? Keep the nitrates away.

source:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180718082225.htm

good info . tks.

Manufacturers add nitrates and nitrites to foods such as cured sandwich meats, bacon, salami or sausages to give them color and to prolong their shelf life. When added to processed foods in this way, both nitrates and nitrites can form nitrosamines in the body, which can increase your risk of developing cancer.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can say goodbye to lupcheong, smoked ducks and all... bak gua considered cured meat? :eek::eek::eek:

Eat once in while la as a treat...u'll know it when u've eaten too much and start posting like insane :biggrin:

I think bak gua is made from fresh mince pork, but not sure what they use for seasoning.

Must wait for Bak gua experts to chime in

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Eat once in while la as a treat...u'll know it when u've eaten too much and start posting like insane :biggrin:

I think bak gua is made from fresh mince pork, but not sure what they use for seasoning.

Must wait for Bak gua experts to chime in
Seasonings contains lots of nitrates. Even the food centre mee Kia stall, the chili are mostly not made by themselves. Those have the highest nitrates.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I tend to cook at home often, using soy beans, ikan bilis and those crushed chicken/pork bones as soup base.

looks like eating out less is a healthier choice for me.
Last 2 weeks on most days, I just eat home cooked chick peas for lunch. Fills my stomach with lowest calories. No seasoning. Just a little sea salt and tumeric powder when boiling them.

musashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last 2 weeks on most days, I just eat home cooked chick peas for lunch. Fills my stomach with lowest calories. No seasoning. Just a little sea salt and tumeric powder when boiling them.
Oh, wow! Have you finally decided to follow my advice (nearly two months ago) of becoming a vegan?
sweatingbullets-gif.40503
redface-gif.40438

sammyboy.com/posts/2732975
In my humble opinion, you might want to try to become a vegan.
redface-gif.40438

sammyboy.com/threads/dear-vegans-although-we-are-in-the-tiny-minority-youre-on-the-right-track-but.228274
sammyboy.com/threads/why-animal-protein-is-bad.227102
sammyboy.com/threads/why-milk-is-bad-for-you-and-your-bones-by-vivian-goldschmidt.226890

It's only the first two weeks that are very difficult:
sammyboy.com/posts/2430159
like a drug addict going:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_turkey
After that, not only will your body feel healthier, you should also start to feel as if you had never eaten meat before, and literally forget why you used to like meat! :smile:

For beginners, it's probably best to replace meat with more fish/seafood and eggs (in order to consume enough protein) during the first few months... so that's just vegetarian, not vegan yet.
But such beginners should try to graduate to veganism (i.e. strict vegetarianism) as soon as possible, by replacing the fish/seafood and eggs with beans, grains and nuts. And add enough:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodised_salt
so that the food does not become too tasteless after cooking, and also to prevent:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_deficiency
I usually also add ground pepper and Japanese shiitake (椎茸) mushrooms or the cheaper, but healthy enough, Chinese 香菇 (xiāng gū), either 冬菇 (dōng gū) or 花菇 (huā gū):
wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiitake
foodfacts.mercola.com/shiitake-mushrooms.html
to my soya bean (not tofu or tau kwa) soup for extra taste.
sammyboy.com/posts/2733046
Everything bad in moderation, and everything good in excess.
Yes, compared to not eating any non-meat healthy food at all, you are increasing your chances of dying later rather than sooner (let's say 75, instead of 65). :smile:

But logically, compared to a vegan (i.e. strict/100% vegetarian, excluding even eggs, dairy products and any other animal product) diet most of the time (in my case, it's at least two-thirds or three-quarters of all my meals for the past decade) and not just a:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-vegetarian
diet (in my case, for the past decade, I have been including fish/seafood and/or eggs and/or dairy products in the remaining roughly one-quarter or one-third of all my meals), eating unhealthy food (mainly meat and sugary food) even "in moderation" (let's say one-third of all your meals) would significantly decrease your chances of dying even later; so instead of dying peacefully (i.e. probably because of a simple heart failure due to extreme old age) in your sleep in the comfort of your home and without any major illness at the ripe old age of 85 or even 95 or even over a 100:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_men
you might end up dying because of some major illness (usually cancer or heart disease) in the discomfort of a hospital at the not-so-ripe age of 75 or even earlier:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy#List_by_the_World_Health_Organization_(2015)

sammyboy.com/posts/2733083
@musashi is a disciplined chap. I doubt I can do it like him. I just tell myself to eat more vegetables everyday .. that's the best I can do. :biggrin:
Actually, it's not too difficult to be disciplined enough to be a vegan, simply because the key thing is motivation, and the thing that motivates me is the fact that I simply hate the feeling of falling sick, especially if it's because of some preventable sickness (which would cause me to hate myself even more!
), as has happened when I was much younger (even though it was not life-threatening).

I also hate seeing certain members of my immediate and extended family contracting some serious disease, usually because of eating too much meat and sugary food, and usually starting from middle age onwards; but believe it or not, one of my cousins contracted Stage FOUR cancer when she was in her mid-teens, after being pampered for years by her parents with too much meat and sugary food; she manged to recover, probably because she was still very young and after taking a "gap year" shortly after she started her final (Secondary Four) year of secondary school, but that really scared the whole extended family! :eek:
sammyboy.com/posts/2733388
One very important, or even necessary, thing to remember to do if you really become a vegan one day (and, of course, for the rest of your life) is to consume enough:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12
hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-vitamin-b12-tablets-100ug-60001170
hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-vitamin-b12-tablets-500ug-60001370?skuid=001370
everyday, which you can buy from health supplement stores, such as:
hollandandbarrett.com.sg/our-store-locations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland & Barrett

I discovered the importance and necessity of Vitamin B12 even for vegans two years ago after watching the following informative (yet entertaining) talk by Dr Michael Greger in 2003 (when he was only in his early 30s, even though he was already balding back then):
youtube.com/watch?v=q7KeRwdIH04

Basically, the only good thing about eating meat is that it has Vitamin B12, which is not found in plant-based food, but which is required to prevent:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhomocysteinemia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homocysteine#Elevated_homocysteine
which can cause heart disease and other diseases.
The above video was published in early 2013, which I first watched in early 2016, a few months after my paternal grandmother (father's mother) died from:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_myeloma
a kind of:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_cancer
which caused her kidney to fail:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_myeloma#Kidney_failure
most probably because she was addicted to sugary food all her life. :(
But because of her good genes, she managed to live until the ripe old age of 91 (nearly 92); but if she had started abstaining from sugary food at least ten years before she died, there is a good chance she might have lived past 100.

Anyway, the above video (which has over a million views) is the low-quality version; here's the high-quality version which was published last year:
youtube.com/watch?v=5ibPqDPEF4U