• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Legend of the Fist is a comedy

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually Bruce Lee (as Chen Zhen) said:

这次叫你吃纸,下次要你连玻璃也吞下去。

To be honest, i have only watched Bruce lee's Fist of fury once and that was more than 15 years ago.

But I have seen Stephen chow's New fist of fury at least 50 times. That is my favourite remake.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be honest, i have only watched Bruce lee's Fist of fury once and that was more than 15 years ago.

But I have seen Stephen chow's New fist of fury at least 50 times. That is my favourite remake.

that's because you watch it about a decade too late. It's like watching a colour tv program now - no big deal right? But if you were watching b&w all along and suddenly you saw colour on your tv - WOW!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so what are you saying? They should make another 3D version of Fist of Fury? When Chen zhen does the flying kick, it will feel like he's leaping out of the screen?

god please no....

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah nothing of that high tech crap lah! What i am saying is that last time all those kungfu movies were pretty lame and fighting choreography rigid. Then Bruce Lee came along and revolutionised the entire industry with his speed, flying kicks, nanchaks and so on. Then came alot of mediocre copycats which is why now it is no longer fresh to see anymore.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes rambo. See the americans did create their own movie about them winning the viets despite losing the war in real life. Btw i heard there's rambo 5 recently?

Was it part 5? Other than viets who else did rambo fight? Nazis?

Never heard of Rambo 5. Watched up to 4.

Rambo only fought Viets in one movie- Rambo 2. The Americans do not need him killing VCs for all 4 movies to satisfy/ deceive themselves.

Interestingly, Rambo 2 was openly shown in Vietnam. The Vietnamese do not seem to have any issue watching Rambo killing their people. The eternally anal PRC or PAP/SAF will never allow that.

BTW, John Rambo was a character created by David Morrell in the novel "First Blood" and was never intended to be an imaginary hero killing America's enemies.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about just simply viewing it as fiction. Look the americans created captain america and hulk, superman etc etc and the japs created godzilla. All of these characters were metaphors for past US wars like the vietnam war and so on.

What does captain america signify for eg?

I am sure the americans created characters that defeated the viets instead. Don't you think so?

However, everyone should know that Hulk, Godzilla, etc are not real.

And the Americans did not remake Rambo killing VCs again and again and again and again. The American audience will probably get tired of watching Rambo killing VCs so many times. Strangely, the Chinese continue to enjoying watching remakes.

Thanks Bluebob for replying Jah. You are have hit the nail on the head.

I'll give you another example. The koreans hate the japs as much as the chinese. They also have a cultural icon for anti japanese movies. That guy was a real person who fought against Yakuza when korea was a jap colony. He stood up for the oppressed korean people. There was even a famous account of him defeating 20 yakuza swordsmen in a fight. The movies were based on his legendary exploits.

The person eventually became the godfather of the korean underworld and even became a right wing politician till his death. I can't remember his name but I will Google for it later.

I would rather chinese cinema make movies based on exploits of real heroes than fictional BS. It's like a double slap in the face.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are standing on quicksand. I wonder where the heck you get your knowledge from. Let me explain.

Nunchaku, originally called "da pan long kun"大盘龙棍, meaning great coiled dragon stick was invented by the first Song emperor Tai Zhu, Zhao Kuang Yin (宋太祖赵匡胤).

The weapon composed of one long stick and a short stick connected by horse hair. It was commonly used in wars against cavalry to trap horse legs. The weapon eventually evolved into a short range weapon as seen in our present day nunchaku.

The nunchaks were then introduced to Japan through Okinawa by immigrants from China. The Japanese word nun-cha-ku itself comes from the Hokkien (Min Nan) word nng-chiat-kun (two-section-baton).

Another proof that the nunchaks originate from China is that it's other name in Japanese called 'Shoshikon' came from the Chinese name '哨子棍', another name used for the weapon in ancient China.

That nunchaku was copied from a Chinese weapon brought to Okinawa by Chinese immigrants was even supported by experts such as Miyagi and Ikeda.

What you wrote is entirely possible although the Chinese version is different. It consist of 2 sections of different lengths.

The actual meaning of the word "nunchaku" is still debatable. It could be, like you said, a translation from Hokkien but it could also mean "2 equal length of about a foot each" in Japanese, which aptly describes the weapon.

Other than strong Chinese influence, the EXACT meanings and origins of many Okinawan martial arts and weapons are lost.

If Bruce Lee wanted to use the nunchaku's Japanese origins to humiliate the Japs (like Ramseth suggested), he picked the wrong weapon. The nunchaku was never a popular weapon even in Okinawa. It was deemed to be ineffective in combat, especially against other weapons. This view is cemented by the fact that unlike other weapons like the tonfa or sai, there is NO formalized traditional kata for the nunchaku.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'll give you another example. The koreans hate the japs as much as the chinese. They also have a cultural icon for anti japanese movies. That guy was a real person who fought against Yakuza when korea was a jap colony. He stood up for the oppressed korean people. There was even a famous account of him defeating 20 yakuza swordsmen in a fight. The movies were based on his legendary exploits.

The person eventually became the godfather of the korean underworld and even became a right wing politician till his death. I can't remember his name but I will Google for it later.

I would rather chinese cinema make movies based on exploits of real heroes than fictional BS. It's like a double slap in the face.

i thought in one of the earlier posts someone mentioned that this charcter was based on someone real or was a real person?

I think cheonglee posted it.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal

China in its long history has no lack of real heroes ancient and more recent like Huo Yuanjia (霍元甲),Huang Feihong (黃飛鴻),and Ye Wen (葉問).

Of course like all action movies, the directors and script writers have to spice up the stories to make them more exciting and worth watching. And really how many exploits and adventures can a person truthfully have in his/her life time?

Even more so of the hollywood movies, where not only the stories are make believe, the characters are mostly fictitious.

So if you only want to watch real exploits based on facts, I guess the only way is to watch a documentary.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China in its long history has no lack of real heroes ancient and more recent like Huo Yuanjia (霍元甲),Huang Feihong (黃飛鴻),and Ye Wen (葉問).

Of course like all action movies, the directors and script writers have to spice up the stories to make them more exciting and worth watching. And really how many exploits and adventures can a person truthfully have in his/her life time?

Even more so of the hollywood movies, where not only the stories are make believe, the characters are mostly fictitious.

So if you only want to watch real exploits based on facts, I guess the only way is to watch a documentary.

You know i feel that only chinese ppl critisize their race the most and the worst.

Take india fucking up the cw games for eg. I don't think many indians even feel ashamed about it in fact they are pretty indignant to their critisizers and would not hesitate to argue back at them despite the fact that they are the ones that screwed up so badly. Only the chinese would never be satisfied with their race and find ways and means to condemn them. You'll never see a malay do that to his own ppl and same as everyone else.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, I agree.

This is one reason why the Chinese are lagging behind the West or the Japs despite being a superpower in the past. TH

Do google for the Korean guy. This is new to me.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal

Of course China has no lack of real heroes. The problem is the way these heros are portrayed.

Look at movie adaptations of Ip Man, Huo Yuan Jia, and Cheng Zheng. How many times can you show them beating Japanese before one gets tired? Different heroes but same storyline, same foe. Only the Chinese will enjoy watching history being re- written IN THE SAME WAY so many times. It makes us Chinese look stupid and backward looking.

For Hollywood movies, the audience know that the heroes are fictitious. They watch it purely for entertainment and not to romanticize their failures. I doubt many Americans will be cheering when they see Rambo kill VCs on screen and no American will endure countless remakes of Rambo killing VCs. That's the critical difference between Hollywood and us.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rambo only fought Viets in one movie- Rambo 2. The Americans do not need him killing VCs for all 4 movies to satisfy/ deceive themselves.

Of course they don't need the Rambo character for all the movies, they just create new ones.

Interestingly, Rambo 2 was openly shown in Vietnam. The Vietnamese do not seem to have any issue watching Rambo killing their people.

How do you know the Vietnamese were not squeezing their balls when the film was showing there. Don't you know they did not have diplomatic relationship with the US for 20 years after the war? But since the opening up of their economy they had to let in movies from the US. Unlike China, it is not easy for them to say no if they want America's aid.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at movie adaptations of Ip Man, Huo Yuan Jia, and Cheng Zheng. How many times can you show them beating Japanese before one gets tired? Different heroes but same storyline, same foe. Only the Chinese will enjoy watching history being re- written IN THE SAME WAY so many times. It makes us Chinese look stupid and backward looking.

So when the Chinese used real characters and beat up the same villains it is a no-no. But when the Americans used different fictitious characters and beat up the same villains it is OK? How absurd does this sound.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course they don't need the Rambo character for all the movies, they just create new ones.

How do you know the Vietnamese were not squeezing their balls when the film was showing there. Don't you know they did not have diplomatic relationship with the US for 20 years after the war? But since the opening up of their economy they had to let in movies from the US. Unlike China, it is not easy for them to say no if they want America's aid.

I'd rather they create new ones with new storylines than re- hashing the same BS with real people.

I watched Rambo 2 with some Vietnamese friends in a Vietnamese cafe. Everyone looked cool about it. They have enough of the propaganda BS on their own home made programs anyway. They probably dun need a Hollywood movie reminding them of their victory when they can see that on their own programs all the time.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
So when the Chinese used real characters and beat up the same villains it is a no-no. But when the Americans used different fictitious characters and beat up the same villains it is OK? How absurd does this sound.

If you say that, you have totally missed the point.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
For Hollywood movies, the audience know that the heroes are fictitious. They watch it purely for entertainment and not to romanticize their failures. I doubt many Americans will be cheering when they see Rambo kill VCs on screen and no American will endure countless remakes of Rambo killing VCs. That's the critical difference between Hollywood and us.

Oh, you obviously have not been to an American movie theater and also naive to their culture. Your above statement might be made on pure ignorance but may be construed by others as the Pinkerton syndrome.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are absolutely correct to say that are many Chinese heroes in the last 200 years. But I think political sensitivities around the region are preventing them from being told. For example, there are many patriots on both Mao and KMT's sides who contributed to restoring Chinese pride.

Unfortunately, not many outside China would want to see the life story of Mao's vanguards Lin biao or Peng dehuai. The taiwanese and hongkies will spit at the movie posters.

If the Taiwanese make a movie of a KMT hero, it will not be screened at all in china.

So we are back to watching heroes against foreigners like Huo yuanjia, Huang fei hong and maybe Lin zhexu.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it's the typical worship ang mohs look down on own race scenerio at play here again. Whatever ang mohs do it's correct. Whatever chinese do it's wrong.

There are many many many cultures, ethnic groups the world over. That person is just talking about the US movie culture. I am sure many of those cultures say arabic ones for eg don't have fantasy characters like spiderman etc but they have their own arab heroes that fought the ang mohs in the crusades for eg. I can bet they won't feel ashamed or say it's boring if an arab movie maker makes another war film on the crusades. You see my pt?

I just have this feeling that only chinese ppl like him here would bash their own race and culture. Hey idiot of all the countries china has the biggest potential in replacing the US not only economically but culturally too. Yet would you support chinese films and movies? Of course at this point of time their sci-fi, heroes, fantasy may not be as fleshed out as those from the US but in time it most likely will be.

Actually i know your kind too well. No matter what china produces in the movies, it's never ever good enough.

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about Dr Sun Yat-Sen?

He's viewed as the Founding Father of modern China on both sides of the Straits.

You are absolutely correct to say that are many Chinese heroes in the last 200 years. But I think political sensitivities around the region are preventing them from being told. For example, there are many patriots on both Mao and KMT's sides who contributed to restoring Chinese pride.

Unfortunately, not many outside China would want to see the life story of Mao's vanguards Lin biao or Peng dehuai. The taiwanese and hongkies will spit at the movie posters.

If the Taiwanese make a movie of a KMT hero, it will not be screened at all in china.

So we are back to watching heroes against foreigners like Huo yuanjia, Huang fei hong and maybe Lin zhexu.