• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Kuan Yew Face Stone Stone and Open Mouth Big Big Again

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The video shows areas that were used by the Ang Moh overlords and their servants. Ordinary Singaporean peasants had to live in fishing villages and attap huts with no toilets, no electricity and no running water. I should know I grew up in one of those shacks in the Telok Kurau area. It was nothing like what is shown on that video. The filth and squalor had to be seen and smelt to be believed.

Whilst the distribution of wealth may have been uneven under the British, the main point is that Singapore was NOT a fishing village when PAP took power in 1959. It was already the most prosperous city in Southeast Asia in 1959 and the second wealthiest on a per capita basis in Asia behind only Japan. What the PAP did was merely to maintain the status quo and yes in the modern world you have to run in order to stay on the same spot in the league tables because other nations are developing quickly. However, it still does not change the fact that Singapore was NOT a fishing village in 1959 PERIOD.

From another thread:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Fortunately, I did not have to live under such conditions except during army training in Taiwan. The bucket toilet was so smelly that rather than use it, I went to the bushes to do it. Better to have a few mosquito bites on my bum than to tolerate that foul smell.

However, I disagree that all these achievements can be attributed to one man. We would have done it in the global trend of modernisation with or without him.

From Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_housing_in_Singapore):

"The first public housing built were in SIT Estates, usually located just outside the fringe of Downtown Singapore, such as Tiong Bahru in the Bukit Merah area. SIT estates also appeared in Queenstown such as the Princess Margaret Estate where construction began in July 1952. In SIT's early plans for the Estate, the new town planning concept was evident with their plans to build housing estates around a commercial centre.

When the HDB took over in 1960, they fully adopted the new town planning concept on a large scale, building entire towns from scratch in locations all around Singapore. Queenstown thus became the HDB's model of its version of a New Town, and they developed this further in Toa Payoh which was the first town to be built entirely from the ground up by the HDB. ...."

So, public housing for the masses was something that was started by the British colonial administration. Even the new town concept originated with them. The civil servants that did it for the SIT Estates under the British were probably just transferred to the HDB which continued the good work that the British had started. The British couldn't finish what they had started because the colonised wanted independence. Would the PAP have been able to continue the public housing program if the British colonial administration did not leave them large financial reserves with which to do it, similar to what the British did when they left Hong Kong? Would our industrialisation have been so rapid if the retreating British military forces did not leave behind facilities which were the best in the region and could be easily converted to civilian use?

In Hong Kong, the British had more time to finish their good work. Here, public housing started in 1953, about the same time as Singapore and continued right through to 1997. Sure the Hongkies themselves took over and continued with the program after 1997, but did Tung Chee Hwa or any of the other Chief Executives try to claim credit for what the British had started?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_housing_in_Hong_Kong

Those same civil servants who did the SIT estates would have done what they are trained by the British to do, regardless of whether the government of the day was lead by the PAP or the BS.

Can't say anything about the triads, except that any government responsible to its electorate would have done it regardless of whether the majority party is PAP or BS. Besides, LKY alone can't do it, he needs a police force. If we need to thank anybody for the elimination of the triads, it is the police force of the mid to late 60s and its chiefs.

Last edited:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
The video shows areas that were used by the Ang Moh overlords and their servants. Ordinary Singaporean peasants had to live in fishing villages and attap huts with no toilets, no electricity and no running water. I should know I grew up in one of those shacks in the Telok Kurau area. It was nothing like what is shown on that video. The filth and squalor had to be seen and smelt to be believed.

LKYs strength was being able to identify talent and providing the leadership to implement policies. Nobody else could have done what he did during those turbulent times because nobody could touch him when it came to charisma and single minded determination to make Singapore a success. Winsemius was nothing more than a consultant. He did not have to govern the country.

I am forever indebted to LKY for making my life so wonderful.

1] you always like to bring up the bucket system.
ok , so IT built a modern toilet and provided electricity for you.
the question is : is it for you and few others like kopiuncle only ?
i am sure escher, gingerlyn and others also got them.
so why you keep praising IT while others don't ?
2] you said : IT's strength was being able to identify talent and providing the leadership.
others see IT's strength in being able to manipulate and awarding those who were obedient
and executing those who opposed.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore was NOT a fishing village in 1959 PERIOD.

From another thread:

Proof that Singapore was a fishing village :

A picture paints a thousand words.

kampong-jurong-tanjung-balai-at-choa-chu-kang-1956.jpg

kampong-teban-by-jurong-river-1958.jpg

coastal-kampong-at-pasir-panjang-1950.jpg

sg01_02a.jpg

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
these are first class scenery and resort.
sinkie paid millions for these every year to stay in resort in Phuket and Bali.
lifes are relax and less stressful.

sg01_02a.jpg

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2016 is not too far away from now....

I hope after 2016, ppl like u wouldn't come back to the forum n give excuses like wait for another 5 years... 2021!!!

No ending please!!!

win or lose, everybody is entitled to come here to TCSS.
barring people for coming here is as good as Lee Kuan Yew iron fist policy

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal
His secretary prints out the posts to him everyday. Each negative post hurts him abit ...bit by bit, he will die a bitter man.

Everyone will die... By laughing at LKY ripe old age purely shows the level of mentality that you n your gang in this forum have...

In chinese there's a saying, when a person lives above the age of 80, during his funeral no one should be crying coz it's consider a "White Happiness / 白喜"

When i see ppl like u especially that Eunuch Escher laughing so happy on an 90 years old man just becoz his health is deterorating, i'm just simply laughing on how childish n idiotic ppl like u are!!!

If i'm Low Thia Kiang or any other opposition leader, I would be crying back home for having kids supporters like you guys!!!

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

sg01_02a.jpg

wow, bro. sam, these are such idyllic and tranquil images of old Singapore!

Pasir Panjang used to be my neck of the woods a decade ago - it always has a special place in my heart and memory :smile:

Did not know that there were coastal kampongs at Pasir Panjang in the 1950s, before my time.

And now, instead of serene kampongs at the coast, we have the noisy West Coast Highway.

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal
He where got secretary? He is low level IB...must share a workstation with likes of kopisai.....

Only ppl like u who have seen an "ELEPHANT PEE" have ALOT of secretary...

And I believed your secretary are those who can be sex harass by you even during office hour right coz they are as an old hag as your mum... Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal
I notice there are many PAP IB behaving this way:
1) they never praise their papa and mama for taking care and feeding them when they were young
2) instead they praise Lee Kuan Yew.

these are the people that may abandon their own parents but continue to praise Lee Kuan Yew.

Just like Money Not Enough story:
They abandoned their own parents but cried when Princess Diana died

Similar sentence i would luv to reply to you as well...

Many COWARDS here who are Anti-PAP will never praise their mother who give birth to them like how they praise the Low Thia Kiang or WP n etc...

Many here thinks highly of Low Thia Kiang compare to their own father as well...

Many Crows n Cowards here can also abandon their parents but when they own selfish individual need is not being met by the govt, they ACT n PRETEND they are so patriotic n have the nation interest at heart n swear at the govt when they dun even have their parent in their heart...

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal
win or lose, everybody is entitled to come here to TCSS.
barring people for coming here is as good as Lee Kuan Yew iron fist policy

:biggrin: :biggrin:I think you've mistaken, we're not so childish as to those Crows n Cowards when we talk about the positives of PAP, all those Crows comes out cursing n swearing....

I hope n I pray that 2016 is the downfall of PAP n not another humiliation day for WP or Low Thia Kiang... Their excuses for defeat after every GE are nothing new!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
wow, bro. sam, these are such idyllic and tranquil images of old Singapore!

Yeah I loved it too. Singapore was a great place until the PAP destroyed the places I cherished in the name of "progress".

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2016 is not too far away from now....
I hope after 2016, ppl like u wouldn't come back to the forum n give excuses like wait for another 5 years... 2021!!!
No ending please!!!

many here are looking forward to a happy ending (better if it came with hugs and tugs) and hopefully, game over!

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

BWAHAHAHA. This post proves that you are a TWIT.

Even today, one can go to remote parts of Hong Kong or Tokyo or Bangkok or whatever city close to the sea you care to name and take pictures like these.

Singapore was already the richest and MOST DEVELOPED country in Southeast Asia and second richest per capita in Asia (second only to Japan) which proves per capita GDP means nothing for as you say the wealth was not evenly distributed. Some remote parts of Singapore were fishing villages and may be some parts (like Pulau Ubin or whatever) still are, but that does not change the fact that Singapore as a country was not undeveloped when PAP took power. It was the industrial powerhouse of Southeast Asia in 1959 you TWIT. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Singapore was already the richest and MOST DEVELOPED country in Southeast Asia and second richest per capita in Asia (second only to Japan)

That's because the rest of the countries in SEA weren't developed at all.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's because the rest of the countries in SEA weren't developed at all.

Not true. This was Manila in 1938. Singapore was already ahead of Manila in 1938.

[video=youtube;dvpbsyNcI3I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvpbsyNcI3I[/video]

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal
many here are looking forward to a happy ending (better if it came with hugs and tugs) and hopefully, game over!

Ya it's just like when so many idiots claimed that 2012 was the end of the world but alas, to our disappointment!!!

Hope 2016 is not the day for WP or Low Thia Kiang for their excuses again