• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lecturer quits to become plumber........

Meteour

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/24/lecturerspay.highereducation

As strikes begin, lecturer quits to become plumber
Universities face brain drain and industrial action over pay while watchdog will ensure they keep promises to attract poorer students

As universities began a week of strikes over pay yesterday, a molecular biologist announced that he was quitting his lab for a new career as a plumber.

The Association of University Teachers, the lecturers' union, claims he is not alone: a second academic is throwing up her job to train greyhounds and a third is moving to Canada with no job arranged.

Karl Gensberg, a post-doctoral researcher who has had short-term contracts at the University of Birmingham, will begin his new career in the summer after completing a plumbing course at Sutton Coldfield College.

"I was chatting to the plumber who came to fit my new boiler," he said. "He remarked that, because I had a PhD, I must be earning lots of money. I had my pay slip on me and when I showed it to him, he said, 'I earn twice that'." Dr Gensberg, 41, has had a 13-year academic career and earns £23,000 a year.

"I expect when I am qualified as a plumber I will at first be earning pretty much what I am now," he added. "But I won't have to figure out how to find funding nor will I have to face a wall of bureaucracy."

His present contract ends in April and Dr Gensberg says the university has emailed him to ask if he would return to the campus to do plumbing work.

"By this time, I was hoping I would have had a permanent contract. Without that, you cannot do your own research because it is almost impossible to raise funding." If he could have found research money, Dr Gensberg would have explored his interest in electro-magnetic fields and their effects on human cells.

Wendy Richards, a lecturer in industrial relations who earns about £34,000 a year, is quitting the University of Keele after 16 years for a new life in Canada. "I have had enough of a 50-hour week and weekend working. My frustration has been building up over the last three or four years because the workload has got so much heavier. I like running my course but what I hate is the bureaucracy."

An academic working in the social science department of a northern university said she intended to rear racing greyhounds. "They say the only way to make a fortune in greyhound breeding is to start with a fortune. But the only way to make a fortune as an academic is to leave." She added that she could end up earning a vice-chancellor's salary.

"Some of our members are so desperate to escape that they are giving up higher education and going to work in fields which are completely unrelated and which do not have the same social standing," said an AUT spokesman.

The union forecast that leading universities would be "crippled" by the strikes over pay and claimed that university life in Wales had "ground to a halt" on the first day of action yesterday.

On Wednesday, the AUT will join the National Union of Students, which is protesting against planned top-up fees, to attempt to empty lecture halls and in effect shut down higher education institutions. The unions say their concerns are linked because fees and pay reforms both lead to the "marketisation" of higher education.
University employers said strike action taken by lecturers would be patchy. Fifty-three of the 166 higher education institutions had not been balloted by the AUT, while in another 40 membership of the union was too small for a strike to create a big impact, the Universities and Colleges Employers' Association said.

:cool::cool:

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
Plumbers earn more than lecturers, that's the reality.

50 bucks call-out fee and 60-100 dollars per hour depends on the severity of the problem.

Those who can do, do...And those who can't do, they teach. Get it ???

ps. even a courier driver earns more than a lecturer, nowadays...paiseh, but that is the reality in angmoh's world.

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is unacceptable in Asia where a day's sweaty hard labour job is frown upon!!!:biggrin:

IN Asia ? Frowned upon ? Right. someone got to do the shitty ones, ultimately

NO, that is just in Sinkapoor. You know how much those in construction earn against a bank teller ? At least 2 to 1.

Sinkinpoors unfortunately have a revulsions that such jobs are beneath them and are now suffering from their shortsightnees and arrogance.

Everybody wants to be a boss, who wants to be the water carriers ?

Sinkingpoors chopped off their own noses to spite their faces and now is the moment of truth...Sadly.

Singapore is not great in anything except in the self mastubatory classes and that was proved time and again by the MIW's increasing their own pays whilsy neglecting the man in the streets.

This is a good time for Singapore to show their mantle to say "FUCK OFF PAP !!!" and work with the Malaysian's oppositions to topple the mastubators of the PAP. 33% is a high numbers enough to topple or at least bruise the PAP blue and black.

Singapore is a first world wannabe without minimum pays and a comphrensive social welfare blanket. Swiss standard of living ? The Swiss just give the middle fingers...:oIo:

BTW, be nice to your coming 100,000 new neighbours. Hahahaha...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IN Asia ? Frowned upon ? Right. someone got to do the shitty ones, ultimately

NO, that is just in Sinkapoor. You know how much those in construction earn against a bank teller ? At least 2 to 1.

Sinkinpoors unfortunately have a revulsions that such jobs are beneath them and are now suffering from their shortsightnees and arrogance.

Everybody wants to be a boss, who wants to be the water carriers ?

Sinkingpoors chopped off their own noses to spite their faces and now is the moment of truth...Sadly.

Singapore is not great in anything except in the self mastubatory classes and that was proved time and again by the MIW's increasing their own pays whilsy neglecting the man in the streets.

This is a good time for Singapore to show their mantle to say "FUCK OFF PAP !!!" and work with the Malaysian's oppositions to topple the mastubators of the PAP. 33% is a high numbers enough to topple or at least bruise the PAP blue and black.

Singapore is a first world wannabe without minimum pays and a comphrensive social welfare blanket. Swiss standard of living ? The Swiss just give the middle fingers...:oIo:

BTW, be nice to your coming 100,000 new neighbours. Hahahaha...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

kensington, well said! i actually stand up and applaud for your speech!

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the free world, tradesmen ALWAYS earn more than academics

boss, u r right! its the tradesmen that make everybody's world go round. not the academics! one more thing is academics cant be management or gov. but thats what sg is doing! we are doom!!!

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the free world, tradesmen ALWAYS earn more than academics

These academics are just burning other people's money to do research only. Why should a PhD earn more than a plumber when the PhD does not provide a useful service or product to the consuminers? If they have discovered something useful that makes tons of money, I believe they will earn lots of money too.

In the free world, people don't throw money at academics and don't expect any results for another 20 years unlike Sinkeeland.

thomas87

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/24/lecturerspay.highereducation

As strikes begin, lecturer quits to become plumber
Universities face brain drain and industrial action over pay while watchdog will ensure they keep promises to attract poorer students

As universities began a week of strikes over pay yesterday, a molecular biologist announced that he was quitting his lab for a new career as a plumber.

The Association of University Teachers, the lecturers' union, claims he is not alone: a second academic is throwing up her job to train greyhounds and a third is moving to Canada with no job arranged.

Karl Gensberg, a post-doctoral researcher who has had short-term contracts at the University of Birmingham, will begin his new career in the summer after completing a plumbing course at Sutton Coldfield College.

"I was chatting to the plumber who came to fit my new boiler," he said. "He remarked that, because I had a PhD, I must be earning lots of money. I had my pay slip on me and when I showed it to him, he said, 'I earn twice that'." Dr Gensberg, 41, has had a 13-year academic career and earns £23,000 a year.

"I expect when I am qualified as a plumber I will at first be earning pretty much what I am now," he added. "But I won't have to figure out how to find funding nor will I have to face a wall of bureaucracy."

His present contract ends in April and Dr Gensberg says the university has emailed him to ask if he would return to the campus to do plumbing work.

"By this time, I was hoping I would have had a permanent contract. Without that, you cannot do your own research because it is almost impossible to raise funding." If he could have found research money, Dr Gensberg would have explored his interest in electro-magnetic fields and their effects on human cells.

Wendy Richards, a lecturer in industrial relations who earns about £34,000 a year, is quitting the University of Keele after 16 years for a new life in Canada. "I have had enough of a 50-hour week and weekend working. My frustration has been building up over the last three or four years because the workload has got so much heavier. I like running my course but what I hate is the bureaucracy."

An academic working in the social science department of a northern university said she intended to rear racing greyhounds. "They say the only way to make a fortune in greyhound breeding is to start with a fortune. But the only way to make a fortune as an academic is to leave." She added that she could end up earning a vice-chancellor's salary.

"Some of our members are so desperate to escape that they are giving up higher education and going to work in fields which are completely unrelated and which do not have the same social standing," said an AUT spokesman.

The union forecast that leading universities would be "crippled" by the strikes over pay and claimed that university life in Wales had "ground to a halt" on the first day of action yesterday.

On Wednesday, the AUT will join the National Union of Students, which is protesting against planned top-up fees, to attempt to empty lecture halls and in effect shut down higher education institutions. The unions say their concerns are linked because fees and pay reforms both lead to the "marketisation" of higher education.
University employers said strike action taken by lecturers would be patchy. Fifty-three of the 166 higher education institutions had not been balloted by the AUT, while in another 40 membership of the union was too small for a strike to create a big impact, the Universities and Colleges Employers' Association said.

:cool::cool:

Interesting. If only it works the same way in Singapore :P

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
24 000 pounds per year.

a family claiming welfare can top that figure, no one in that family have to work, just pretend to find job, and do nothing.this is welfare, if you give the poor, some will find a loop hole and misuse it.

what a welfare family in uk can get
------------------------------------
£450 a week child tax credits
£120 a week child benefit
£129 a week in housing benefit
FREE council tax
£70 per fortnight Jobseeker's Allowance
TOTAL: £38,324 A YEAR

if you dun believe check this out.....
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...adline-mum-got-60-inch-telly-on-benefits.html

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The British man, have not heard of a HEAVEN called SINgapore?, he should find falip Yeo, he will welcome him, with two open arms & ask "how much you want" & "member"? ha ha ha ha