• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Last night, I dreamt about Singapore hit by a Typhoon

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the dream, many places were flooded, including my home. We realized that we never bothered to have plans in place to face a flood.
In the dream, computer servers were down and we cannot access our money in banks.
In the dream, Singapore Airlines took the opportunity to declare their planes destroyed to claim from insurers.

Logically, I don't think we will have a massive flood because we are near equator where temperature is more stable.
But seriously, it possible for us to be hit by Typhoon?

Last edited:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the dream, many places were flooded, including my home. We realized that we were never bothered to have plans in place to face a flood.
In the dream, computer servers were down and we cannot access our money in banks.
In the dream, Singapore Airlines took the opportunity to declare their planes destroyed to claim from insurers.

Logically, I don't think we will have a massive flood because we are near equator where temperature is more stable.
typhoon specifically not sure.

but what you point out is flooding risk. Given current trends that is essentially inevitable in Singapore. Reason is that most of Singapore is at sea level. Well, we all know about global warming and sea level rise right? A good portion of Singapore is at risk. I'm sorry I can't find the map right now, but funnily enough, the areas most at risk are Jurong Port, Changi Airport and downtown CBD. A good chunk of East coast too. Even with mild estimates, they will be affected. With worse estimates, those areas will be inaccessible to regular traffic. But of course this is 2100. You may not care by then.

Also back to typhoons, storms pick up more energy as global temperatures rise. It's not inconceivable that the NE monsoon that hits us from the South China Sea will pick up energy and become typhoon force.

1606273865294.png

(source : http://www.weather.gov.sg/learn_winds/)

You don't have to worry about SW monsoon. Sumatra will take that.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have seen hailstones dropping from the sky in Sinkieland.

You can see water spouts off the coast of East Coast Park now and then, they are 'imitation' tornados.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
typhoon specifically not sure.

but what you point out is flooding risk. Given current trends that is essentially inevitable in Singapore. Reason is that most of Singapore is at sea level. Well, we all know about global warming and sea level rise right? A good portion of Singapore is at risk. I'm sorry I can't find the map right now, but funnily enough, the areas most at risk are Jurong Port, Changi Airport and downtown CBD. A good chunk of East coast too. Even with mild estimates, they will be affected. With worse estimates, those areas will be inaccessible to regular traffic. But of course this is 2100. You may not care by then.

Also back to typhoons, storms pick up more energy as global temperatures rise. It's not inconceivable that the NE monsoon that hits us from the South China Sea will pick up energy and become typhoon force.

View attachment 96872

(source : http://www.weather.gov.sg/learn_winds/)

You don't have to worry about SW monsoon. Sumatra will take that.

I don't believe in global warming because the earth's temperature goes up and down every few years on its own. I think priority for environmentalism should be in waste management because it's ruining the lives of the poor.

As for flooding, if heavy rain during high tides, lower-lying areas will be more prone to flood. This is the map that you might be refering too
https://www.floodmap.net/?ct=SG
Just key-in a water-height increment to know if your area is safe.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't believe in global warming because the earth's temperature goes up and down every few years on its own. I think priority for environmentalism should be in waste management because it's ruining the lives of the poor.

As for flooding, if heavy rain during high tides, lower-lying areas will be more prone to flood. This is the map that you might be refering too
https://www.floodmap.net/?ct=SG
Just key-in a water-height increment to know if your area is safe.
just for the record, I'm not an environmentalist as they define themselves. I also believe that waste management is underdone and easily addressed, but politically unpopular.

But for me personally, I started noticing changes in the rainfall and frequency and severity of flooding.

yes! it certainly looks like that map. If you choose for argument's sake to instead assume the earth drifts into a closer orbit to the sun and global warming occurs from that, you will have arrived at the scene in your dream.

That was the original question wasn't it? To see if it was possible? :smile:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is one factor almost all overlook ,underwater table

Sinkiland unique positioning right at the tip of malusia plus plenty of rainfall added to MRT continuous tunnelling force water table underground diversion

which means even when rainfall stops ,there may be flooding

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the dream, many places were flooded, including my home. We realized that we never bothered to have plans in place to face a flood.

IMG-20181002-WA0003.jpg

earthquake and typhoons.
We are basically on the most boring part of the planet.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinkiland unique positioning right at the tip of malusia plus plenty of rainfall added to MRT continuous tunnelling force water table underground diversion

I heard about this from a civil engineer too. The JV for two stations went bust in recent years, he told me one of it is not due to financials but because the JV realized the terrain's risk.

Hanslesley73

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you an insurance agent?

Hanslesley73

Alfrescian
Loyal

Other than flash flooding, I do not recall any real flooding in Singapore, unlike in India (yes, I was there when it was flooding - and that was a Real Flood). It was Amazing though seeing the common Indians there, I really could not stop admiring their tenacity and resistance. When God gave them flood, they were swimming and celebrating in the rain. Love that about India. Now, if only they can remove the bribes and corrupt govt there and implement loads of change to their hygiene and mindset and the rape/denigrating women culture, there is actually a lot of untapped potential in India. Even the water from the tap felt dirty there currently.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
some gal pretending to be guy ,simply talking cock here

where do you have floods ? always in tropical hemishpere where it rains cats and dogs

anyone here ,old enough ,will remember sinkies regular flooding ,until PWD starts building huge drainage

its a regular occurance across the causeway and jakarta as well

must be a stupid fuck to deny flooding is part and parcel of our habitat here