• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lance Armstrong's first ride at Tour de France: neither bad nor great

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Lance Armstrong's first ride at Tour de France: neither bad nor great
By John Leicester – 3 hours ago

MONACO — The nervous plainclothes policeman scrutinized the frenzy, the cameramen elbowed and sweated in the Mediterranean sun and that dead-shark look of determination was back in the eyes of the bike racer everyone came to see.

Yup, no doubt about it, Lance Armstrong is back at the Tour de France. Weirdly, give-or-take a few grey hairs, it was almost as if he'd never been away. With each push of his aluminum pedals, the 37-year-old rolled back the years - almost.

The seven-time champion's first ride in four years at the race he used to dominate threw out three essential pieces of information:

-Armstrong is no longer the Tour's top dog. He still looks good, really good, but no longer quite as awesome as he did when he was "le Boss" around these parts.

-For someone who spent so long away, living a celebrity lifestyle, knocking back beers and growing his family, he has done an impressive job of whipping himself back into shape. Those muscular thighs, sunken cheekbones and wiry frame don't lie. His Tour comeback is not just the ill-prepared whim of a celebrity kidding himself that he's still a pro cyclist. He may no longer be the fastest of the 180 riders, but he's nowhere near the slowest, either.

-Alberto Contador, Armstrong's teammate, really seems to be the man to beat. The Spaniard looked, well, more Amstrong-ish than Armstrong on Saturday. The way he powered around the hilly, twisting and difficult course was reminiscent of how Armstrong would have done it when he was at his peak. No wonder Armstrong wanted Contador on his team, not racing against him. It's that old mafia thing - keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

The bottom line: on Saturday, Armstrong rode his worst time trial at the Tour since the cancer-survivor first took the race by the scruff of the neck in 1999.

He placed - gasp! - 10th. There's dozens of guys at the Tour who would give their paycheques to be that good and 170 of them - most of them years his junior - finished behind him.

Armstrong was only 40 seconds slower than the winner, Fabian Cancellara, the Olympic champion in this intense, technical discipline of racing against the clock.

In building his record string of seven Tour wins from 1999-2005, Armstrong competed in 19 time trials and won 11 of them. He placed no worse than third in all the others except one - a short clock-race in Paris at the start of the 2003 Tour, where he was seventh.

The last time he raced Cancellara over a similar distance at the Tour, in 2005, the Texan was a minute faster than the Swiss. Contador was nearly two minutes slower than Armstrong that day. On Saturday, Contador was 22 seconds quicker - but he is 11 years younger, too.

Basically, the rust wasn't glaring Saturday but it showed. Armstrong never looked 100 per cent comfortable in the saddle. He acknowledged as much afterward. At times, he weaved across the road. He looked a trifle hesitant on fast downhills.

At the finish, Armstrong sat exhaustedly on an ice cooler outside his team's bus, using a towel to soak up the sweat pouring down his face. When his manager gave Armstrong his time - 20 minutes 12 seconds - all he could do was nod his head. Words seemed beyond him.

But a quick breather and change of clothes later, Armstrong perked up and spoke to the writhing mass of reporters and cameramen desperate to hear how he felt.

"I was a little all over the place, just because the course wasn't consistent. It was up, flat, it was down, it was a technical course," he said. "But I think overall, I felt good."

Not too much should be read into this first day's performances. They were just enough to whet the appetite, not make firm predictions on how the next three weeks of racing and drama might pan out.

Contador still needs to leave more daylight between him and Armstrong if he is going to become the undisputed leader of their Astana team. If that happens, Armstrong has said that he would ride for the Spaniard, basically sacrificing his own ambitions.

Even if that happens, it wouldn't be the end of Armstrong's world. Bottom line is that riding this Tour sure seems to beat watching it on TV - as he did last year.

"I have a lot of other things that I could be doing," Armstrong said. "But I want to do this."

John Leicester is an international sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jleicester(at)ap.org

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Allegations of drug use
Armstrong has continually denied using performance-enhancing drugs and has described himself as "the most tested athlete in the world".[23] A 1999 urine sample showed traces of corticosteroid in an amount that was not in the positive range. A medical certificate showed he used an approved cream for saddle sores which contained the substance.[24]

In 2004, reporters Pierre Ballester and David Walsh published a book alleging Armstrong had used performance-enhancing drugs (L. A. Confidentiel - Les secrets de Lance Armstrong). It contains allegations by Armstrong's former masseuse, Emma O'Reilly, who claimed Armstrong once asked her to dispose of used syringes and give him makeup to conceal needle marks on his arms.[24] Another figure in the book, Steve Swart, claims he and other riders, including Armstrong, began using drugs in 1995 while members of the Motorola team, a claim denied by other team members.[30] Allegations in the book were reprinted in the UK newspaper The Sunday Times in a story by deputy sports editor Alan English in June 2004. Armstrong sued for libel and the paper settled out of court after a High Court judge in a pretrial ruling stated that the article "meant accusation of guilt and not simply reasonable grounds to suspect."[31] The newspaper's lawyers issued the statement: "The Sunday Times has confirmed to Mr Armstrong that it never intended to accuse him of being guilty of taking any performance-enhancing drugs and sincerely apologised for any such impression." (See also[32] in The Guardian). Armstrong later dropped similar lawsuits in France.[33]
On March 31 2005, Mike Anderson filed a brief [34] in Travis County District Court in Texas, as part of a legal battle following his termination in November 2004 as an employee of Armstrong. Anderson worked for Armstrong for two years as a personal assistant. In the brief, Anderson claimed that he discovered a box of Androstenine while cleaning a bathroom in Armstrong's apartment in Girona, Spain.[35] While Androstenine is not on the list of banned drugs, the substances androstenedione and androstenediol are listed. However, Anderson stated in a subsequent deposition that he had no direct knowledge of Armstrong using a banned substance. Armstrong denied the claim and issued a counter-suit.[36] The two men reached an out-of-court settlement in November 2005, the terms of the agreement are undisclosed.[37]
On August 23, 2005, L'Équipe, a major French daily sports newspaper, reported on its front page under the headline "le mensonge Armstrong" ("The Armstrong Lie") that 6 urine samples taken from the cyclist during the prologue and five stages of the 1999 Tour de France, frozen and stored since at "Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry" (LNDD), had tested positive for EPO in recent retesting conducted as part of a research project into EPO testing methods.[38][39] For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen carrying red blood cells. The world governing body of cycling, Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001, two years after the samples were taken. This claim was based on an investigation in which they claimed to be able to match samples from the 1999 Tour that were used to hone the EPO test to Armstrong.[40] To establish a link between Armstrong and the samples, the LNDD matched the tracking numbers on the samples with those on Armstrong's record with the UCI during the 1999 Tour. Armstrong immediately replied on his website, saying, "Unfortunately, the witch hunt continues and tomorrow’s article is nothing short of tabloid journalism. The paper even admits in its own article that the science in question here is faulty and that I have no way to defend myself. They state: 'There will therefore be no counter-exam nor regulatory prosecutions, in a strict sense, since defendant’s rights cannot be respected.' I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance enhancing drugs."[41]
In June 2006, French newspaper Le Monde reported claims by Betsy and Frankie Andreu during a deposition that Armstrong had admitted using performance-enhancing drugs to his physician just after brain surgery in 1996. The Andreus' testimony was related to litigation between Armstrong and SCA Promotions, a Texas company attempting to withhold a $5-million bonus; this was settled out of court with SCA paying Armstrong and Tailwind Sports $7.5 million, to cover the $5-million bonus plus interest and lawyers' fees. Armstrong suggested Betsy Andreu may have been confused by possible mention of his post-operative treatment which included steroids and EPO that are taken to counteract wasting and red-blood-cell-destroying effects of intensive chemotherapy.[42] The Andreus' allegation was not supported by any of the eight other people present, including Armstrong's doctor Craig Nichols, [43] or his medical history, although according to Greg LeMond (who has been embroiled with his own disputes with Armstrong), there exists a recorded conversation in which Stephanie McIlvain, Armstrong's contact at Oakley Inc., told LeMond, "You know, I was in that room. I heard it."[44]
In July 2006, the Los Angeles Times published a story on the allegations raised in the SCA case.[45] The report cited evidence at the trial including the results of the LNDD test and an analysis of these results by an expert witness.[46] From the LA Times article: "The results, Australian researcher Michael Ashenden testified in Dallas, show Armstrong's levels rising and falling, consistent with a series of injections during the Tour. Ashenden, a paid expert retained by SCA Promotions, told arbitrators the results painted a "compelling picture" that the world's most famous cyclist "used EPO in the '99 Tour." [47] Ashenden's finding were disputed by the Vrijman report, which pointed to procedural and privacy issues in dismissing the LNDD test results. The LA Times article also provided information on testimony given by Armstrong's former teammate, Swart, Andreu and his wife Betsy, and Instant messaging conversation between Andreu and Jonathan Vaughters regarding blood-doping in the peloton. Vaughters signed a statement disavowing the comments and stating he had: "no personal knowledge that any team in the Tour de France, including Armstrong's Discovery team in 2005, engaged in any prohibited conduct whatsoever." Andreu signed a statement affirming the conversation took place as indicated on the Instant messaging logs submitted to the court. The SCA trial was settled out of court, and the LA Times reported: "Though no verdict or finding of facts was rendered, Armstrong called the outcome proof that the doping allegations were baseless." The L.A. Times' article provides a review of the disputed positive EPO test, allegations and sworn testimony against Armstrong, but notes that: "They are filled with conflicting testimony, hearsay and circumstantial evidence admissible in arbitration hearings but questionable in more formal legal proceedings."[48]

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the great 3-time winner Greg Lemond knows Lance Armstrong's 7 tour de france victories are drug-tainted.:mad:

Lance Armstrong
In July 2001, LeMond criticized Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong for continuing to associate with Michele Ferrari, an Italian physician and sports trainer who has at various times admitted to practicing blood doping, advocated the controlled use of banned substance EPO by athletes, and accused by professional cyclists of providing banned substances.[7][8][9][10]

When Lance won the prologue to the 1999 Tour I was close to tears, but when I heard he was working with Michele Ferrari I was devastated. In the light of Lance's relationship with Ferrari, I just don't want to comment on this year's Tour. This is not sour grapes. I'm disappointed in Lance, that's all it is.[11]

A month later, LeMond issued an apology for this comment, calling Armstrong "a great champion... I believe his performances are the result of the same hard work, dedication and focus that were mine 10 years ago."[6]

LeMond spoke out again three years later, after additional Tour de France wins by Armstrong. "If Armstrong's clean, it's the greatest comeback. And if he's not, then it's the greatest fraud." He also described the fallout of his 2001 statement, alleging that Armstrong had threatened to defame him, and that his business interest had also been threatened.

[Armstrong] basically said 'I could find 10 people that will say you took EPO'... The week after, I got multiple people that were on Lance ... Lance's camp, basically saying 'you better be quiet,' and I was quiet for three years. I have a business ... I have bikes that are sold ... and I was told that my sales might not be doing too well if ... just the publicity, the negative publicity.[12]

The same month, LeMond also stated to newspaper Le Monde: "Lance is ready to do anything to keep his secret. I don't know how he can continue to convince everybody of his innocence."[13]

In a 2007 interview, LeMond accused Amstrong of trying to sabotage his relationship with Trek bicycles, and described him by saying "I just think he's not a good person and that's all I can say. I mean, he's a facade, if you knew the real Lance Armstrong that I know. I think he fronts himself as a guy who is loving and caring. From my experience, he's not a nice guy and I've had some very difficult periods with him. And I don't believe he'll finish up having any friends in cycling."[14]

Bike_Tyson

Alfrescian
Loyal
It may be early days, but, sorry I still think Lance will not be on the podium. There are currently so many other better riders.

During stage 1 ITT, Lance finished above last year's TdF winner, but below 3 of his team mates. He is number 22, the number 21 went to Contador, which says much of his position in Astana.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
OVERALL STANDING ON TIME

Result after stage 5

Total distance covered: 634.5 km

1. CANCELLARA Fabian 15h 07' 49"
2. ARMSTRONG Lance 15h 07' 49" + 00' 00"
3. CONTADOR Alberto 15h 08' 08" + 00' 19"
4. KLÖDEN Andréas 15h 08' 12" + 00' 23"
5. LEIPHEIMER Levi 15h 08' 20" + 00' 31"
6. WIGGINS Bradley 15h 08' 27" + 00' 38"
7. ZUBELDIA Haimar 15h 08' 40" + 00' 51"
8. MARTIN Tony 15h 08' 41" + 00' 52"
9. ZABRISKIE David 15h 08' 55" + 01' 06"
10. MILLAR David 15h 08' 56" + 01' 07"

Top 10 after 5 stages,how wrong we are to assume that Lance is just playing a supporting role. He is currently second.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No changes in Top 5 after Sixth stage.
Quite a number of Astana's rider in top ten.
Lance Armstrong will win a stage and the yellow jersey

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stage 9
1.NOCENTINI R.ALM34h 24' 21"
2.CONTADOR A.AST00' 06"
3.ARMSTRONG L.AST00' 08"
4.LEIPHEIMER L.AST00' 39"
5.WIGGINS B.GRM00' 46"
6.KLÖDEN A.AST00' 54"
7.MARTIN T.THR01' 00"
8.VANDE VELDE C.GRM01' 24"
9.SCHLECK A.SAX01' 49"
10.NIBALI V.LIQ01' 54"

Stage 7 CONTADOR did attack climbing the mountain
Armstrong did not persue.
Was hoping that he will attack again and see how Armstrong
will react this time, but he did not.
Stage 8 and 9 mostly calm accept few break away riders
which they did not border as they do not pose any threat.
Still think Armstrong will win a stage, He is just like
M. Indurian, calm, steady, consistently but surely.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remembered one event vividly,
Armstrong was riding along with a teammate(formerly DSC team)
and was closing in to the finishing line.
Armstrong: How bad are you to win a stage?"
Teammate: Bad, real bad.
Then he asked him to go and he held the other riders back.
Armstrong won many stages already and was wearing the yellow jersey.
But one rider chased his teammate down, he was so furious,
he followed and made sure that rider did not win that stage.
He won that stage.

Last edited:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Contador will not attack as freely as he wants to,
Armstrong was furious, Contador did not adhere to
team's order.

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still not convinced that somebody like Lance Armstrong could been so physically super human to have beaten every single doper like
Basso who was a doper,
Ullrich who was a doper,
Virenque who was a doper,
Pantani who was a doper.

And then many of you still think he is clean. :rolleyes:
Really laughable