• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lack of discipline in schools is MOE's own undoing

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So what exactly has happened over the years and decades? Why are students not respecting authority anymore? Arguments with teachers are common. Disrespect for school authority too. Headmasters, principals are not feared anymore, let alone teachers.

I recall some years back, a principal of over twenty years' service, was sacked because he disciplined a girl by hitting her with a school text book. That was his first and only misdemeanour. MOE felt that his action warranted his removal, yet hardly anything was reported about the girl's lack of discipline, which was the reason why she had to face the principal in the first place.

Now wasn't that case an example for many ill-discipline students, as well as their over protective parents to cite, whenever a student is called to face punishment?

Today, it's a mayhem in schools. No shouting at students. No using harsh words. No banging of the table to quieten the class. If the teacher cannot get the class to be quiet, it is because he/she is not able to control the class. Bad class management. All the bad behaviour on the part of the students is because of the teacher's incompetence, not because of student's ill-discipline, or because their parents never taught them about discipline and respect for school authority.

- http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.sg/2012/09/lack-of-discipline-in-schools-is-moes.html

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are absolutely correct. They have overdone with all that liberalism. It cause high turnover of teachers, big mistake.
However, not all schools are like that. Schools are smarter nowadays.

I advocate harsh punishment for students who are rude. Send them for heavy detention(1 week at least, two hours daily), heavy n boring work during detention(copy pages of National Geographic magazine), no need to shout and scream. After just one week sure kwai kwai after that. Guaranteed.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... However, not all schools are like that. Schools are smarter nowadays ...
ya, man! ... nowadays, skools oso got blain 1 ...

... Send them for heavy detention(1 week at least, two hours daily), heavy n boring work during detention(copy pages of National Geographic magazine), no need to shout and scream. After just one week sure kwai kwai after that. Guaranteed.
parens wil b suing u 4 making their ah boys n ah gir stay back @ skool 2 do stoopig, meaningless wok n make their hands all painful ...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what exactly has happened over the years and decades? Why are students not respecting authority anymore? Arguments with teachers are common. Disrespect for school authority too. Headmasters, principals are not feared anymore, let alone teachers. .....................

Not a big concern. It is like that in schools all over the world. People are no longer isolated in their own little world. They are exposed. With kids learning how to speak up for themselves, being more expresssive, people no longer believe in harsh punishment, having an attitude is considered "cool" and so on - the authorities will just have to accept they no longer hold the ace. Just accept that the times have changed. Just be a fair and just human being - the kids will respond accordingly.

BTW, I was a student during the early seventies and there were just as many (in fact more) kids who resorted to violence to settle problems. I had classmates carrying knives to school (I had a nunchak, but never used it,- it would not have worked), teachers punching students (and vice versa). For me, any teacher that mistreated me, I'd vandalise his car.

Cheers!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are absolutely correct. They have overdone with all that liberalism. It cause high turnover of teachers, big mistake.
However, not all schools are like that. Schools are smarter nowadays.

I advocate harsh punishment for students who are rude. Send them for heavy detention(1 week at least, two hours daily), heavy n boring work during detention(copy pages of National Geographic magazine), no need to shout and scream. After just one week sure kwai kwai after that. Guaranteed.

National Geographic...you kidding! what sort of punishment is that? write 500 lines of " I must behave", rude...make that person, stand in front of the school porch in the morning for 1 hour, "bow & greet every one who appear"...this will teach that person not to be rude...

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
ya, man! ... nowadays, skools oso got blain 1 ...

parens wil b suing u 4 making their ah boys n ah gir stay back @ skool 2 do stoopig, meaningless wok n make their hands all painful ...

School detention is not an offence. You ever attended school in Singapore before?

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
See one middle aged joker misbehaving like a baboon in the heat, probably hailing the the useless 1960s generation. That probably explain why the present screw up in MoE's schools.

hxxp://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?127410-Shophouse-owner-says-parking-lot-belongs-to-him-and-even-points-middle-finger&

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I suggest that these errant students draw a potrait of Lee Wei Ling during their 2 hr detention class..

I bet you, these students will change for the better and they'll never ever want to step into a detention class again.. MOE should consider my suggestion seriously.. My idea is worth implementing..

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have heard of really exotic forms of punishments parents and teachers mete out to ill-disciplined kids in the good old days.

1) Rub chilli onto eyes.
2) Use a very thin rotan that has been coated with salt and oil, and whip the same spot to open up the skin.
3) Twisting of ear.
4) Make the kid go without food.
5) Use laundry clips to clip the fingers, earlobes and nose.
6) Walk around the school while wearing a placard scribbled with an insulting message.
7) Stand on the table.
8) Solitary confinement inside the toilet overnight.
9) Hard smack on the head with a chalkboard duster.
10) Stand outside the classroom holding two full buckets of water.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
whatever happened to the metre-long thick wooden ruler which our ol' school teachers used on our palms and knuckles?? painful but effective! :*:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cutting hair also resentment, then don't cut la, let hair gro la.

Cutting hair itself is not resentment. It is a matter of keeping tidy and looking good.

Copying pages of National Geography does not promote anything else other than resentment.

Hey, you have not answered my question: "Happened to you before?"

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cutting hair itself is not resentment. It is a matter of keeping tidy and looking good.

Copying pages of National Geography does not promote anything else other than resentment.

The haircut obviously caused resentment. That's why yu have police report in blowout. Since there is resentment don't cut hair la

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cutting hair also resentment, then don't cut la, let hair gro la.

The haircut obviously caused resentment. That's why yu have police report in blowout. Since there is resentment don't cut hair la

We are talking about cutting hair in general and suddenly you started talking about THE haircut. You are twisting here.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So what exactly has happened over the years and decades? Why are students not respecting authority anymore? Arguments with teachers are common. Disrespect for school authority too. Headmasters, principals are not feared anymore, let alone teachers.

I recall some years back, a principal of over twenty years' service, was sacked because he disciplined a girl by hitting her with a school text book. That was his first and only misdemeanour. MOE felt that his action warranted his removal, yet hardly anything was reported about the girl's lack of discipline, which was the reason why she had to face the principal in the first place.

Now wasn't that case an example for many ill-discipline students, as well as their over protective parents to cite, whenever a student is called to face punishment?

Today, it's a mayhem in schools. No shouting at students. No using harsh words. No banging of the table to quieten the class. If the teacher cannot get the class to be quiet, it is because he/she is not able to control the class. Bad class management. All the bad behaviour on the part of the students is because of the teacher's incompetence, not because of student's ill-discipline, or because their parents never taught them about discipline and respect for school authority.

- http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.sg/2012/09/lack-of-discipline-in-schools-is-moes.html

he was "transferred" immediately after the incident and later "resigned" on his own accord. :biggrin: