• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kovan market faces 'heat' after S$4m facelift

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kovan market faces 'heat' after S$4m facelift
By Wayne Chan | Posted: 12 November 2010 2312 hrs

phpziYbwJ.jpg

Kovan market

SINGAPORE : Stall-holders at a newly-upgraded market-cum-hawker centre at
Kovan are complaining about the heat. They said the nearly S$4 million
upgrading has made the centre hotter and affecting their business.
Hawkers at the Blk 209 Hougang Street 21 centre that
Channel NewsAsia spoke to said the new ceiling is the main cause.
Designed to allow natural light, it has made the place hotter.
The newly-fitted fans are also said to be smaller.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) said it has not received any
feedback from the public but will be working with
Aljunied Town Council to look into the problem.
A customer at the hawker said:
"It's too cramped, and very hot. I'm not the only one, many people come here to eat and then

(quickly leave)." - CNA /ls

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Corruption at destroying livelihoods .

Giving out stupid sky high contracts and destroying hawkers 's viability .

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kovan is not the only hawker centre with screwed up design.

In the name of upgrading, they are squeezing more of our hard earn money, by raising rentals of the stalls; who in return passes that to us.

If I am not mistaken Kovan was renovated in recent years with new wash basins etc..I was surprised that, they closed it again for upgrading.

Upgrading, upgrading & more upgrading...salaries did not go up & no minimum wage for SINgaporeans...:rolleyes:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's just poor design. Ditto the Boat Quay sun roofs, helix bridge, the Tiong Bahru market (before the present 3 storeyed building).

This could have been designed by somebody with great fantastic dreams of natural lighting wihtout practical considerations of the country's climate and weather. Esp if the designer has been trained and spent his life overseas. Sometimes we go overboard with exotic ideas. The old fashioned attap hut roof is the best.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's just poor design. Ditto the Boat Quay sun roofs, helix bridge, the Tiong Bahru market (before the present 3 storeyed building).

This could have been designed by somebody with great fantastic dreams of natural lighting wihtout practical considerations of the country's climate and weather. Esp if the designer has been trained and spent his life overseas. Sometimes we go overboard with exotic ideas. The old fashioned attap hut roof is the best.

Must have been designed by the same people who designed Tiong Bahru Market ( the new upgraded one), on a humid day, sitting down for a meal is so hot & the fans are not effective.

But we are sure they know how to collect more money at 'MARKET RATES"...and we are charged more to eat.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you sure? The present market is open, spacious, airy. Unless you are talking abt the glare, or go and sit in the sun outside the sheltered areas. I thought it is definitely an improivement over the last 2 attempts. The present TB mkt designer must be the same as the one who did the Zion Rd one - also airy, spacious and open.

Must have been designed by the same people who designed Tiong Bahru Market ( the new upgraded one), on a humid day, sitting down for a meal is so hot & the fans are not effective.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you sure? The present market is open, spacious, airy. Unless you are talking abt the glare, or go and sit in the sun outside the sheltered areas. I thought it is definitely an improivement over the last 2 attempts. The present TB mkt designer must be the same as the one who did the Zion Rd one - also airy, spacious and open.

The just upgraded Kovan Mkt I have not been yet, will go & see; but TB definitely I have been there quite many times, it is humid especially the food centre portion. The Kovan Market had recent years improved & that was all right, do not see the reason why they need to upgrade again?, for each upgrading prices of produce & food sold goes up.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not blame the designers. I blame the people who put out the tenders and those idiots that selected these designs.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been to the TB mkt only last Monday for lunch at high noon and the enviro was honky dorey. Maybe weather was cooler nowadays, but I have also been there when the days were hazier and hotter. Still I didnt find it humid.When was the last time you were there? I am really surprised you said it was humid beyond tahan.

The just upgraded Kovan Mkt I have not been yet, will go & see; but TB definitely I have been there quite many times, it is humid especially the food centre portion. The Kovan Market had recent years improved & that was all right, do not see the reason why they need to upgrade again?, for each upgrading prices of produce & food sold goes up.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
The upgrading is for the foreigners over there as I can see more n more of them streaming in. Some nites, u can see cynthia phua n her entourage "patrolling" the neighbourhood to ward off those street gangs! Haha..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. chomp2 is another fiasco. There's no way for the stalls and covered tables to be properly and adequately ventilated of those heat and oil fumes and smoke. You go home after a night out smelling like a kitchen.

what's new? last time chomp chomp open n airy... then came the reno and close up everything.

Dogsquare

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tiong Bahru market is also very hot. The stupid architect designed a circular building with limited cross air flow..breeze could not bring out the hot air generated by the cooking.
Many more HDB HC are less ventilated after upgraded.
These young architects need to take a lesson from Tay Kheng Soon..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
They shld take a leaf from Menangkerbau houses..plenty of cross flows and natural materials..

Ever stayed in Bali houses or hotels, you get the pic.

Tiong Bahru market is also very hot. The stupid architect designed a circular building with limited cross air flow..breeze could not bring out the hot air generated by the cooking.
Many more HDB HC are less ventilated after upgraded.
These young architects need to take a lesson from Tay Kheng Soon..

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
They shld take a leaf from Menangkerbau houses..plenty of cross flows and natural materials..

Ever stayed in Bali houses or hotels, you get the pic.

Yes, excellent architecture but our hawker centres are for peasants and those multi million dollars minister does not give a hoot about peasants.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe the same idiot who designed the new hougang polyclinic. The refurished polyclinic have a transparent roof that allow light to shine thru that allow natural light into the waiting area. But the downside was that it heat up the waiting area like a spa and a great place to get sun tan. But as a sick person waiting for more than an hour to see the FT GP, it really too uncomfortable. The designer is a cock and the committee is even more stupid to select the design.