• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kirsten Han is taking down Dr Chee with her feminist powers

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.facebook.com/kixes/posts/503923034243

There seems to be a widespread belief in Singapore that if you support (or even just prefer) a particular political party you have to endorse everything they say and do wholeheartedly.

People expect me to support Chee Soon Juan. In fact there are people out there who assume, and even insist, that I am a member/affiliate of SDP, and therefore some sort of representative of their positions, when I have never been (and don't intend to be) a member of any political party, and don't represent any of them.

I have a lot of respect for Dr Chee. We have had good conversations. He has a lovely family who came out to support our campaign for Yong Vui Kong in 2010, when I was just starting out in anti-death penalty activism. In my personal interaction with Dr Chee and his wife they have always been patient, compassionate and committed to their cause. And yes, when it comes to a choice between a PAP candidate and Dr Chee, I would say that a vote for Dr Chee would have more impact on Parliament and our desperate need for more robust debate.

But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with or support everything Dr Chee or the SDP says or does. I did not agree with their fielding of conservative candidates who did not support LGBT equality in GE2015; it was a slap in the face to SDP's position on human rights and also to all the LGBT Singaporeans who have supported them for years because of an understanding that the party would stand by them. I do not agree with some of their positions on immigration. And I certainly do not agree with how Dr Chee characterised the April detentions of Bangladeshi migrant workers as an immigration issue rather than about the ISA, even though that piece of opaque, unchecked legislation was precisely what was used against the workers (and a number of SDP members and supporters too).

Yes, the playing field is horrendously skewed. Yes, opposition politicians fight a long, uphill battle. And yes, I am willing to cut them *some* slack for that.

But if they want to be our elected representatives, then what they say and what policies they propose need to be held to a high standard. We shouldn't be handing out free passes, or assuming that all their supporters should slavishly agree with everything they say and do. Disagreement, even with someone you might generally agree with, is part of the democratic process.

I believe Dr Chee understands that. It's important that all Singaporeans do too.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I knew yesterday when he avoided answering the ISA issue by the press it will have repercussions. It looks like she decided to throw out the LGBT matter as well. I am sure Vincent W and the hostility he faced with Jufrie and team will come out of this. Note sure what Wong Souk Yee and Teo Soh Ling would make of this. He seriously could have handled he ISA issue batter.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reporters were trying to trap Dr Chee with controversial ISA questions which arrested eight Bangladeshis, Dr Chee did the right thing by calling it a lax immigration policy issue and wants further vetting of foreigners. As expected, the PAP / Shanmugam quickly uses these press articles to attack Dr Chee.

If Dr Chee had talked about ISA, PAP's smears and attacks on him would be much worse to badly damage his election. But as many Sinkies support reducing foreigners and tightening immigration, PAP / Shanmugam's attack on Dr Chee comes out a lot weaker.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kirsten Han is just a hypocrite and no better. Just ignore her.

Attachments

• Kirsten Han.jpg
    Kirsten Han.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 10603776_788236761243339_4641690298018749000_n.jpg
    10603776_788236761243339_4641690298018749000_n.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 308

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I knew yesterday when he avoided answering the ISA issue by the press it will have repercussions. It looks like she decided to throw out the LGBT matter as well. I am sure Vincent W and the hostility he faced with Jufrie and team will come out of this. Note sure what Wong Souk Yee and Teo Soh Ling would make of this. He seriously could have handled he ISA issue batter.

The reporters for all we know are PAP agent-provocateurs or if not, porlumpars! Imho, Dr. Chee was right to avoid the ISA questions as it was a set-up to entrap him and make him look so stupid, naïve, uninformed, ignorant and a complete political novice in security matters. It is nothing but a purely immigration matter. If you want to admit the sheer numbers, you have to be more vigilant and not sleep on the job sometimes. Obviously, the filter mechanism is not that great. Wake up ICA; wake up the relevant ministry as Hua Chun Ying would have said so eloquently!:biggrin:

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal

His past is catching up with him.

Anyway, the Bangladeshi arrests by ISD has nothing to do with lax immigration policy. If individuals want to be radicalised, any place will be fine and it has nothing to do with needing foreign workers here.

I often find CSJ making such connections leading him to trouble and perhaps for folks to label him as one without a clear thinking brain and being quite naive.

Anyway, it does not help if you are a target by MIW. All I can say is as an opposition leader, you should have learned your trade by now and should know how to say certain things now and then.

Personally I do not think it is an issue of being targeted. You need to be a willing or unwilling actor :o In this case, he provides many areas for others to target him on.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee side step the issue calling it as lax immigration. I applaud him. He is a brilliant Politician. Unless LKY turn from his grave, no one is capable enough to handle Dr Chee.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no way any party can win an election by peddling on liberal values. This is a minefield for sdp because they need to win the support of the conservative majority but are held hostage by a small but vocal liberal activists. An important segment a small party with it liberal roots can hardly afford to lose in the short run.

The best course of action for sdp at the moment is not to talk anything related to lgbt, isa, death penalty etc. these are not vote winning issues. confine those lines concerning these issues within the party constitution and treat it as internal matter. In other words paying lip service to liberal values while focusing entirely on bread and butter issues.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am in agreement with RandomNexus and 3M.

Chee needs to seriously reorganize his thinking. It is obvious little has changed on this front and that is disappointing. Even a staunch opposition supporter like me feels that he has paid lip service to the real issue of extremism and its consequence, terrorism.

The lgbt, anti death penalty, feminist groups will continue to support any opposition at the ballot box regardless of their intermediate criticism. That bloc is secure and small in number to begin with, so it is the height of folly to be held hostage to, or worse, to actually subscribe to their beliefs. Come on, Dr Chee. Surely you can be smarter than that if you so choose.

This incident is a classic example of connecting the issues in the wrong manner and consequently making a stand that is factually inaccurate and derived on flawed reasoning.

jw5

Loyal

Anyway, the Bangladeshi arrests by ISD has nothing to do with lax immigration policy. If individuals want to be radicalised, any place will be fine and it has nothing to do with needing foreign workers here.

I often find CSJ making such connections leading him to trouble and perhaps for folks to label him as one without a clear thinking brain and being quite naive.

Anyway, it does not help if you are a target by MIW. All I can say is as an opposition leader, you should have learned your trade by now and should know how to say certain things now and then.

Personally I do not think it is an issue of being targeted. You need to be a willing or unwilling actor :o In this case, he provides many areas for others to target him on.

The most important thing is not to be a coward. Understand that first and everything else will fall into place. :wink:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no way any party can win an election by pandering on liberal values. This is a minefield for sdp because they need to win the support of the conservative majority but are held hostage by a small but vocal liberal activists. An important segment a small party with it liberal roots can hardly afford to lose in the short run.

The best course of action for sdp at the moment is not to talk anything related to lgbt, isa, death penalty etc. these are not vote winning issues. confine those lines concerning these issues within the party constitution and treat it as internal matter. In other words paying lip service to liberal values while focusing entirely on bread and butter issues.

I do agree with it. Do not go beyond bread and butter issue. Other issue are just secondary. Terrorism and other issue are just distraction. You need more Intel and ammunition to look all these issue.

Singaporean need are very shallow. They just want to have enough to spend and eat.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reporters for all we know are PAP agent-provocateurs or if not, porlumpars! Imho, Dr. Chee was right to avoid the ISA questions as it was a set-up to entrap him and make him look so stupid, naïve, uninformed, ignorant and a complete political novice in security matters. It is nothing but a purely immigration matter. If you want to admit the sheer numbers, you have to be more vigilant and not sleep on the job sometimes. Obviously, the filter mechanism is not that great. Wake up ICA; wake up the relevant ministry as Hua Chun Ying would have said so eloquently!:biggrin:

SDP has to very careful, the PAP controlled MSM are now subtly fixing Dr Chee's campaign by derailing Dr's Chee's main campaign message to BB voters.

Dr Chee's main campaign message are focused on municipal issues such as TC management and the 4 social services to Bukit Batok residents, as well as bread and butter issues. But reading the MSM articles of the last 24 hrs, the MSM are now derailing Dr Chee's municipal message to voters with articles of ISA, immigration, debating ministers in parliament etc, and the MSM are painting Murali as the better municipal guy for Bukit Batok.

This whole day and in the rally, SDP must strongly restate their municipal message to Bukit Batok voters, don't let the voters be distracted and sidetracked by the MSM before polling day.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.facebook.com/kixes/posts/503923034243

There seems to be a widespread belief in Singapore that if you support (or even just prefer) a particular political party you have to endorse everything they say and do wholeheartedly.

People expect me to support Chee Soon Juan. In fact there are people out there who assume, and even insist, that I am a member/affiliate of SDP, and therefore some sort of representative of their positions, when I have never been (and don't intend to be) a member of any political party, and don't represent any of them.

I have a lot of respect for Dr Chee. We have had good conversations. He has a lovely family who came out to support our campaign for Yong Vui Kong in 2010, when I was just starting out in anti-death penalty activism. In my personal interaction with Dr Chee and his wife they have always been patient, compassionate and committed to their cause. And yes, when it comes to a choice between a PAP candidate and Dr Chee, I would say that a vote for Dr Chee would have more impact on Parliament and our desperate need for more robust debate.

But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with or support everything Dr Chee or the SDP says or does. I did not agree with their fielding of conservative candidates who did not support LGBT equality in GE2015; it was a slap in the face to SDP's position on human rights and also to all the LGBT Singaporeans who have supported them for years because of an understanding that the party would stand by them. I do not agree with some of their positions on immigration. And I certainly do not agree with how Dr Chee characterised the April detentions of Bangladeshi migrant workers as an immigration issue rather than about the ISA, even though that piece of opaque, unchecked legislation was precisely what was used against the workers (and a number of SDP members and supporters too).

Yes, the playing field is horrendously skewed. Yes, opposition politicians fight a long, uphill battle. And yes, I am willing to cut them *some* slack for that.

But if they want to be our elected representatives, then what they say and what policies they propose need to be held to a high standard. We shouldn't be handing out free passes, or assuming that all their supporters should slavishly agree with everything they say and do. Disagreement, even with someone you might generally agree with, is part of the democratic process.

I believe Dr Chee understands that. It's important that all Singaporeans do too.

This bitch ought to be spanked

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anyway, the Bangladeshi arrests by ISD has nothing to do with lax immigration policy. If individuals want to be radicalised, any place will be fine and it has nothing to do with needing foreign workers here.n.

You cannot deny the fact there is a connection with having more foreign agents working in Singapore than decades ago. Singapore has always been a breeding ground for many side effect things to happen, like riot, increase in Tuberculosis infection, and all sort of latest deadly virus, we have never heard before, into our tiny island. I completely agree with Dr Chee.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sidenote: The ISA can be abolished and replaced by a counter terrorism unit. Any non terror related intel functions can be relegated to black box unit within MHA or even within PMO. Just a thought. Not for election campaign or for any politician to bring up

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sidenote: The ISA can be abolished and replaced by a counter terrorism unit. Any non terror related intel functions can be relegated to black box unit within MHA or even within PMO. Just a thought. Not for election campaign or for any politician to bring up

This is one way of tackling the issue at different angle without being seen as too liberal leaning by the conservative majority and yet partially satisfy the liberals. Good strategist knows how to toe the fine line and devise policies that reconcile the difference between 2 conflicting forces and find a common ground. So instead of abolishing ISA, narrow it scope to counter terrorism law.

Other issues like
1. S377a, politician can argue from a legal ground rather from a liberal point of view of having a law without enforcement. Throw the ball back to the govt to either enforce it or abolish it.

2. death penalty, scale back on calls to abolish death penalty but instead advocate doing away with mandatory death penalty and make the appealing process more rigorous and stringent when it comes to death sentence.

Such compromise policies are unlikely able to 100% satisfy the hardcore of both liberal and conservative but it not about pleasing everyone . So long as the majority moderates most are able to live with it, then the party has position itself well within the center of political spectrum. Politics is after all an art of compromise.

Still I wouldn't want to place all the above issues as the core election topic. It something that a party can include in their manisfesto but will hardly get any mention during rallies. It still bread and butter issues that matters more.

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If we want to fight for a more open and free society, people should be allowed to voice their opinions as and when they want to.

I do not agree with Lina Chiam's timing of her statement, but she is well within her rights to do so.
Amos Yee may sound crazy to some, but he has the right to free speech.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue with Kirsten is that she does not think before she acts. She has been treated as a loose cannon for quite sometime. By her actions, she would know that Murali and the PAP would enjoy the fruits of her act. Why now plead with the PAP for leniency?