• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kenny Rogers & their Ribs

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few years back Kenny Rogers in Spore used to have honeyed ribs. However they stopped selling it.:( Interestingly Kenny Rogers in Malaysia never had it on their menu.

I've tried the ones being sold at the deli in Cold Storage but it's not the same. Can anyone recommend a place which has good ribs, similar to what was sold at Kenny Rogers:confused:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few years back Kenny Rogers in Spore used to have honeyed ribs. However they stopped selling it.:( Interestingly Kenny Rogers in Malaysia never had it on their menu.

I've tried the ones being sold at the deli in Cold Storage but it's not the same. Can anyone recommend a place which has good ribs, similar to what was sold at Kenny Rogers:confused:
kenny rogers msia cannot gif u ribs la ... tak halal ... :o

angmo ribs r all rips ...
offs ... :o

eat bak kut teh, man! ... goot ribs @ goot price! ...
icon14.gif

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used to frequent the one at Suntec until Pinoys took over the place.
The 100% Pinoy staff looked relaxed chatting with each other in Tagalog and I find it difficut to understand what they are saying in their weird accent.

I call on locals to unite to give preference to local staffed business.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kenny rogers msia cannot gif u ribs la ... tak halal ... :o

angmo ribs r all rips ...
offs ... :o

eat bak kut teh, man! ... goot ribs @ goot price! ... QUOTE]

Recently had to stay 1 night at JB & the only restaurant opened near the hotel was a bak Kut teh place. It was good but sometimes you want the westernised version:smile:

In Spore it is of course expensive, not like in the west where for the same price you get larger portions. I remember when I was staying in the dorm they would sometimes serve ribs. Considering it was cafeteria food, it wasn't too bad. :o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 100% Pinoy staff ......

I think it's also happening in JB. Was at Nandos at City Sq & I think I was served by a filipino which surprised me because it was in Malaysia & not Spore:eek:

Anyway I don't think I'll go back, because I didn't find the food that great. Got better food at the other restaurants in the same mall:smile:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like a bit of bite in my ribs. The angmo version either boil it to death first to tenderise it or use tenderiser. Either way it comes out tasteless save for the sauce. That's what you are eating. And they called it 'falling off the bone'. Sheesh!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fren:

BBQ ribs, I do it myself.

Full slab of baby back, remove the inner-liner (silver skin). Rub with whatever you like. I use a mustard rub. Once I didn't have, five-spice with cooking oil and pepper will do. Use a covered charcoal grill, half lay with coals. Sear both sides for a couple of minutes, then move the slab over to the indirect-heat of the grill. Smoke it for close to an hour, then lay on the sauce. Slow cook another ten to fifteen minutes. Total cook time one and quarter hours, just nice for a couple of beers before carving in.

Recently tried ribs at Smokey's at Joo Chiat Place. My view, it's better than Tony Romas. Smoked with hickory - real nice. Would go again.

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recently tried ribs at Smokey's at Joo Chiat Place. My view, it's better than Tony Romas. Smoked with hickory - real nice. Would go again.

Cheers!

I've found their site & menu:
http://www.smokeysbbq.com.sg/index.php?option=com_google&view=standard&id=1&Itemid=9

Smokeda Grin Fed Beef Rib Large ...
Tender grain fed beef ribs, mesquite smoked and slow roasted for over 20 hours, topped with our home made BBQ sauce. Knife not required!

Sounds like it's delicious. Will give it a try once I've confirmed my cholesterol is OK :smile:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
............................ Will give it a try once I've confirmed my cholesterol is OK :smile:

I`m at that age group where I have to be concerned about what I put in my mouth too!

However, moderate a little here and there, now and then. Go easy on the booze too. Stopped doing the medical tests, just accept that I`m a little high on everything, and take it from there. Gotta loose some weight too (been tellin`mahself dat for the last ten years).

Good deal on their smoked baby-back, full slab for below thirty-bucks. Plus, place is great for lots of watering holes within staggering distance though they have good beers on their own premises. Don`t forget to pick up some bak-chang from across the road for breakfast the next morn!

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I`m at that age group where I have to be concerned about what I put in my mouth too! ...

Cheers!

Ever since my heart attack I've been eating like a church mouse & taking alot of supplements. As a result I've lost quite alot of weight:smile:

Fortunately I don't drink or smoke, so it's easier to follow a healthier life style. Unless I travel of course where I'm tempted to break my diet with all the available yummy food :(

Such a rich meal requires some planning. Have to make sure that it's the only large meal for that month:o

I also don't do regular testing but that's because I'm being careful of what I eat. In my last test everything was ok except for my insulin levels. That's why I'm taking metformin. Normally I don't like taking medications but it's a better alternative than insulin injections :(

Cholesterol levels is not the only source of heart problems.
If your in your 40's & above I recommend you have a blood test for hormon(testerone, DHEA, etc) levels done. As we get older our hormon levels drop making us more susceptible to illnesses such as heart problems. My test showed a low DHEA level which can be easily remedied by taking DHEA supplements. These supplements are readily avaiilable without prescription but you need a blood test to determine if they are necessary.

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
A bit OT here. But have you ever tried the steaks from Long Horns in the states? Am still trying to find steaks in sg that is on par. Do you know of any?

Ever since my heart attack I've been eating like a church mouse & taking alot of supplements. As a result I've lost quite alot of weight:smile:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 100% Pinoy staff looked relaxed chatting with each other in Tagalog and I find it difficut to understand what they are saying in their weird accent.

I call on locals to unite to give preference to local staffed business.

That's also as effective as trying to get ants to understand what you are trying to say.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A bit OT here. But have you ever tried the steaks from Long Horns in the states? Am still trying to find steaks in sg that is on par. Do you know of any?

When I'm in the US I'm busy looking at gadgets & usually eat at places that are convenient. :smile: I'm not a big meat eater. I had a heart attack because I drank too much pepsi & coke on a daily basis & it caused a hormon imbalance causing arterial blockages:(

I'm not surprised you're having problems finding a decent steak house in Spore. Anything "big" would be expensive. Have you tried Lawry's?
http://www.lawrys.com.sg/index.php/home/

I remember seeing a Big Horn(not Long Horn) in Pattaya:smile: There's alot of angmo's there & some good westernised food. Remember seeing the sign outside about their 1kg steaks:
http://www.bighornsteakhouse.com/

Or you can visit all the steaks houses:biggrin::
http://www.pattaya-funtown.com/food_steakhouse.html

When I'm in Pattaya I always visit the Pig & Whistle for the fish & chips. Its good & the portion is generous. It will keep me full from breakfast to lunch:smile: