• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He is watching over us!
For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled.

1 Peter 3:12-14 KJV

On the day the LORD gives you relief from suffering and turmoil and cruel bondage, you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon: How the oppressor has come to an end! How his fury has ended! The LORD has broken the rod of the wicked, the scepter of the rulers, which in anger struck down peoples with unceasing blows, and in fury subdued nations with relentless aggression.

Isaiah 14:3-6 NIV

Then you will walk in your way securely
And your foot will not stumble.

When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Proverbs 3:23,24 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time that thine ear was not opened.”

Isaiah 48:8

It is painful to remember that, in a certain degree, this accusation may be laid at the door of believers, who too often are in a measure spiritually insensible. We may well bewail ourselves that we do not hear the voice of God as we ought, “Yea, thou heardest not.” There are gentle motions of the Holy Spirit in the soul which are unheeded by us: there are whisperings of divine command and of heavenly love which are alike unobserved by our leaden intellects. Alas! we have been carelessly ignorant—“Yea, thou knewest not.” There are matters within which we ought to have seen, corruptions which have made headway unnoticed; sweet affections which are being blighted like flowers in the frost, untended by us; glimpses of the divine face which might be perceived if we did not wall up the windows of our soul.

But we “have not known.” As we think of it we are humbled in the deepest self-abasement. How must we adore the grace of God as we learn from the context that all this folly and ignorance, on our part, was foreknown by God, and, notwithstanding that foreknowledge, he yet has been pleased to deal with us in a way of mercy! Admire the marvellous sovereign grace which could have chosen us in the sight of all this!

Wonder at the price that was paid for us when Christ knew what we should be! He who hung upon the cross foresaw us as unbelieving, backsliding, cold of heart, indifferent, careless, lax in prayer, and yet he said, “I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour ... Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life!” O redemption, how wondrously resplendent dost thou shine when we think how black we are! O Holy Spirit, give us henceforth the hearing ear, the understanding heart!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jesus’ Shocking Words at Hanukkah

Hanukkah is only mentioned once in the Protestant Bible, in John 10:22-33, where it is called the “Feast of the Dedication.” And Jesus was there, celebrating! Only, the words that he speaks that day are enough to make jaws drop, on the occasion and in the place where he speaks them.
Hanukkah was never commanded by God in Scripture. Let’s take a look at the back-story on this holiday.
Jesus-Shocking-Words-at-Hanukkah-300x208.jpg
Hanukkah celebrates the Jewish victory over the guy who went into the Temple and claimed to be God. So what happens when Jesus walks in and makes the same claim? Picture: Tom Hobson.
Back around 175 BCE, the Jews were being ruled by a Greek king of Syria named Antiochus IV, who begins a bold new program to turn the Jewish nation into Greeks. As time goes on, Antiochus begins to have delusions of grandeur. He sets up statues of the Greek gods made to look like himself. He gives himself the title “Epiphanes,” which means “God on display”. Finally, Antiochus makes a move so shocking, no Greek ruler had ever went so far before: religious persecution.
In the past, others had tried to get Jews to worship additional gods. Antiochus is the first who tries to actually exterminate Judaism. He orders the Jewish religion to be replaced with Greek religion. He orders an end to the Sabbath and the Jewish feasts. He orders an end to circumcision. He orders hogs to be offered in sacrifice. And he orders Greek idols to be set up throughout the land. The word goes out: “Whoever does not obey the command of the king shall die.”

The king’s commands are carried out. In mid-December 167 BCE, the Jewish temple gets rededicated to the Greek god Zeus. A statue of Zeus (made to look like the Greek king) gets set up in the Temple. Pigs are offered in sacrifice, and the sacred courts are filled with Greeks partying and having orgies, defiling the sacred ground. (This was the first defiling of the Temple spoken of by the prophet Daniel.) Possession of the Scriptures becomes a crime punishable by death. One congregation is burned alive for secretly observing the Sabbath. Finally, the entire population is lined up and forced to eat pork. Most choose to live and do so. Some refuse, and are brutally beaten to death.

At last, some people in one small village resist the king’s orders. An official from the king comes to town to force them to perform a Greek sacrifice. He invites an old priest named Mattathias to do the honors. When the priest refuses, another Jew steps forward to perform the sacrifice. But before he can do so, the old priest rises up and kills both the Jew who tries to take his place, and the official from the king. He tears down the Greek altar and cries, “Let everyone who is zealous for the Law of God follow me!” And he and his sons flee into the hills to fight a guerilla war against the Greeks.

One of the old man’s sons named Judah takes over as leader of the rebels. Judah proves to be so powerful in battle that they nickname him Judas Maccabeus, “Judas the Hammer,” from which we get the name Maccabee. After a number of surprising victories where he and his men were the underdogs, Judas Maccabeus drives the Greeks out of the Temple and recaptures the holy city. Then they cut down the bushes that had grown up in the Temple courtyard, repair the ruined chambers of the priests, get rid of the idols, and rebuild the altar of the Lord.

Finally, one morning in mid-December of 164 BCE, exactly three years after the Greeks had defiled the Temple, Judas and his followers offer sacrifice on the new altar and rededicate the newly cleansed Temple. They hold an eight-day celebration, now called the Feast of the “Dedication,” which is what the word Hanukkah means. Today, the Jews light candles for each of the eight days of this holiday. They also exchange presents, much as we do at Christmas.

So Hanukkah was a patriotic holiday, an Independence Day, a day the Jews gave thanks that God had set them free from the guy who tried to exterminate their faith. At a festival like Hanukkah, where people were asking, “When will our Messiah appear?”, it only makes sense for the crowd to ask Jesus, “Are you the Messiah? If you are, tell us in plain words.”
Jesus finally makes it perfectly clear: “I and the Father are one.”

You can hear the crowd gasp! They asked him a question; he gave them an answer! Only the answer to them sounds downright blasphemous. Whatever you do at Hanukkah, don’t claim to be God, unless you want to get used for target practice! John brings out the utmost in irony: on that day when they’re celebrating their victory over that villain who sets up his image in the Temple and claims to be a god, Jesus stands in the Temple and claims to be God!
“I and the Father are one.” No, Jesus doesn’t mean one with God in some metaphoric or symbolic sense. He means that he IS God, and his audience understands him correctly, which is why they pick up stones to throw at him. Jesus asks them why. They answer, “Because you, being a man, make yourself God.”
Jesus doesn’t say, “I’m sorry, guys. You misunderstood me. I wasn’t really claiming to be God.” No, Jesus defends himself. But his argument fails to convince the crowd, and only by slipping out of their hands does Jesus escape a violent end.

Jesus neither trashes nor disrespects anyone. He merely claims to be the real “God on display,” as opposed to the fake one driven out by the Maccabees. On this day when the nation celebrates its independence and freedom from idolatry, Jesus confronts them with the claim that he is their true deliverer, the one who will truly set them free.
What Jesus says at Hanukkah is the clearest expression in all the Gospels that Jesus and his Father are one God. Our response to him makes all the difference in the world. Jesus is either an idol, an imposter like that Greek king from Syria, or else Jesus is who he said he was: the One who is God on display, the only One who can save us from sin and death.

In this season when Israel celebrates their victory over the guy who tried to stamp out their faith, as they celebrate the Feast of Re-Dedication, let us rededicate ourselves to Jesus, the Messiah, God on Display, the One who has come to set us free. Let us remove the idols from the temples of our hearts. Let us resist the world’s attempts to stamp out what we believe, to mold us into their image. Let us welcome Jesus as the One who has come to rule us with justice, with wisdom, and with love, the One who has come to save us and put us right with God.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Three Ways to Take the Cross to Heart During Holy Week

Holy Week focuses us on the cross of Christ. Paul said that the only thing he would boast of is the cross, “by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world” (Galatians 6:14). The cross was the center of his knowledge (1 Corinthians 2:2). He bore the “marks of Jesus” (Galatians 6:17) and spoke of carrying “the death of Jesus” in his body so that “the life of Jesus may also be made visible” in his body as well (2 Corinthians 4:10). Paul took the power and message of the cross to heart.
Holy Week is a season for taking the cross to heart. But how? Here are three practices:

1. Read the gospel story. Pick a gospel and read from the triumphal entry to laying Jesus in the tomb (Matthew 26-27; Mark 14-15; Luke 22-23; John 13-19). What strikes you? What is Jesus drawing you to see and understand?

2. Meditate on the events of Holy Week. Don’t just read the story, but pray your way through it. Imagine yourself breaking bread with Jesus in the upper room. Go out into the cold night and wait with the disciples in the garden. See the torches of the soldiers wavering as they circle around the path to arrest Jesus. Witness his trial, his mistreatment, his carrying the cross through the streets, his crucifixion beside the criminals. See Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea lay out Jesus’ body, slack and pale, on the tomb’s stone slab.

3. Receive communion. Maundy Thursday is the night that the church remembers and celebrates the sacred meal that Jesus gave his church. Many congregations observe communion that night. Communion is not just a mental exercise in reminiscence. It’s about receiving Christ into our lives, body and blood. There’s nothing like communion for internalizing Jesus’ cross and passion.
The whole of Jesus’ life and mission points to the cross. We cannot know him, follow him, or love him unless we embrace Jesus’ cruciform heart. Nor can we grasp the significance of the resurrection.

Jesus, show us your heart during this most Holy Week.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Our Heritage - Eternal Life!
Jesus said to her,

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

John 11:25,26 NIV

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

1 Corinthians 15:20-22 KJV

Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

John 5:28,29 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Thou, O God, hast prepared of thy goodness for the poor.”

Psalm 68:10

All God's gifts are prepared gifts laid up in store for wants foreseen. He anticipates our needs; and out of the fulness which he has treasured up in Christ Jesus, he provides of his goodness for the poor. You may trust him for all the necessities that can occur, for he has infallibly foreknown every one of them. He can say of us in all conditions, “I knew that thou wouldst be this and that.”

A man goes a journey across the desert, and when he has made a day's advance, and pitched his tent, he discovers that he wants many comforts and necessaries which he has not brought in his baggage. “Ah!” says he, “I did not foresee this: if I had this journey to go again, I should bring these things with me, so necessary to my comfort.” But God has marked with prescient eye all the requirements of his poor wandering children, and when those needs occur, supplies are ready. It is goodness which he has prepared for the poor in heart, goodness and goodness only. “My grace is sufficient for thee.” “As thy days, so shall thy strength be.”

Reader, is your heart heavy this evening? God knew it would be; the comfort which your heart wants is treasured in the sweet assurance of the text. You are poor and needy, but he has thought upon you, and has the exact blessing which you require in store for you. Plead the promise, believe it and obtain its fulfilment. Do you feel that you never were so consciously vile as you are now? Behold, the crimson fountain is open still, with all its former efficacy, to wash your sin away. Never shall you come into such a position that Christ cannot aid you. No pinch shall ever arrive in your spiritual affairs in which Jesus Christ shall not be equal to the emergency, for your history has all been foreknown and provided for in Jesus.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Lord Lives!

Praise be to my Rock!
Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 18:46 NIV

And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.

Isaiah 49:26 KJV

Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Acts 13:23 RSV

He shall receive a blessing from the LORD And righteousness from the God of his salvation.

Psalms 24:5 NASB

We need a Savior because we are sinners,
and the wages of sin is death...

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift:
is the object of our faith;
the only faith that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“My people shall dwell in quiet resting places.”

Isaiah 32:18

Peace and rest belong not to the unregenerate, they are the peculiar possession of the Lord's people, and of them only. The God of Peace gives perfect peace to those whose hearts are stayed upon him. When man was unfallen, his God gave him the flowery bowers of Eden as his quiet resting places; alas! how soon sin blighted the fair abode of innocence.

In the day of universal wrath when the flood swept away a guilty race, the chosen family were quietly secured in the resting-place of the ark, which floated them from the old condemned world into the new earth of the rainbow and the covenant, herein typifying Jesus, the ark of our salvation. Israel rested safely beneath the blood-besprinkled habitations of Egypt when the destroying angel smote the first-born; and in the wilderness the shadow of the pillar of cloud, and the flowing rock, gave the weary pilgrims sweet repose.

At this hour we rest in the promises of our faithful God, knowing that his words are full of truth and power; we rest in the doctrines of his word, which are consolation itself; we rest in the covenant of his grace, which is a haven of delight. More highly favoured are we than David in Adullam, or Jonah beneath his gourd, for none can invade or destroy our shelter. The person of Jesus is the quiet resting-place of his people, and when we draw near to him in the breaking of the bread, in the hearing of the word, the searching of the Scriptures, prayer, or praise, we find any form of approach to him to be the return of peace to our spirits.

“I hear the words of love, I gaze upon the blood,
I see the mighty sacrifice, and I have peace with God.
’Tis everlasting peace, sure as Jehovah's name,
’Tis stable as his steadfast throne, for evermore the same:
The clouds may go and come, and storms may sweep my sky,
This blood-sealed friendship changes not, the cross is ever nigh.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LIVING OUT YOUR COURAGE

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the think which you think you cannot."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962), U.S. Political leader and human-rights activist

Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is when you choose to acknowledge your fear, and look it in the face.

What are you afraid of? Everyone is afraid of something. Are you afraid of failure? Afraid of what might happen if everyone knew that you, Mr. Perfect, got an F in Science? Are you afraid you might be shunned if everyone knew that your parents were divorced, or your dad was an alcoholic, or you're not really what you say you are? What are you afraid of? If you don't face your fear head-on, it will never go away.

Often, it's our fear that keeps us where we are and prevents us from getting close to God and to others. God can use our fear to remind us of our need for him. We need to forget about ourselves and focus on others. If you have a fear of the unknown, go on a mission trip to a country where you've never been. If you are afraid of failure, try something new that you may not be good at. It's important to acknowledge and confront our fears so we can move past them.

Breaking free from fear is one of the most liberating feelings in the world. By liberating yourself from fear, you open the door of your mind, allowing the room once occupied by fear to be filled with creativity and passion. And when creativity and passion come in and clean things out, you are able to care about more than yourself and your own fears. And that is a good thing.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
- Joshua 1:9

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God Is My Savior!
The LORD lives!
Praise be to my Rock!
Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 18:46 NIV

But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

1 Corinthians 11:31,32 NIV

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Romans 5:3-5 KJV

For all things are for your sakes, so that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.

For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2 Corinthians 4:15-18 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Ye serve the Lord Christ.”

Colossians 3:24

To what choice order of officials was this word spoken? To kings who proudly boast a right divine? Ah, no! too often do they serve themselves or Satan, and forget the God whose sufferance permits them to wear their mimic majesty for their little hour. Speaks then the apostle to those so-called “right reverend fathers in God,” the bishops, or “the venerable the archdeacons”? No, indeed, Paul knew nothing of these mere inventions of man. Not even to pastors and teachers, or to the wealthy and esteemed among believers, was this word spoken, but to servants, aye, and to slaves.

Among the toiling multitudes, the journeymen, the day labourers, the domestic servants, the drudges of the kitchen, the apostle found, as we find still, some of the Lord's chosen, and to them he says, “Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.” This saying ennobles the weary routine of earthly employments, and sheds a halo around the most humble occupations.

To wash feet may be servile, but to wash his feet is royal work. To unloose the shoe-latchet is poor employ, but to unloose the great Master's shoe is a princely privilege. The shop, the barn, the scullery, and the smithy become temples when men and women do all to the glory of God! Then “divine service” is not a thing of a few hours and a few places, but all life becomes holiness unto the Lord, and every place and thing, as consecrated as the tabernacle and its golden candlestick.

“Teach me, my God and King, in all things thee to see;
And what I do in anything to do it as to thee.
All may of thee partake, nothing can be so mean,
Which with this tincture, for thy sake, will not grow bright and clean.
A servant with this clause makes drudgery divine;
Who sweeps a room, as for thy laws, makes that and the action fine.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sea Storm or Seesaw

I was swimming in the ocean getting my exercise.

The wind was rather high and so were the waves.
I was swimming parallel to the beach.

As I stroked, I turned my head towards the waves to breathe with
each stroke. Since the waves were rather high, I didn't want to
be caught by surprise when a big one came.

The big waves smashed into my face and every so often, part of
that wave went down my throat. After I had gulped about three
mouthfuls of seawater, I knew I needed a new tactic.

I started facing the beach instead of the waves.
I was concerned that a big wave would come, and I wouldn't see
it and I would get swamped.

That didn't happen. I rose and fell smoothly with the waves,
and the waves hit the back of my head. The water stayed in the
ocean and out of my throat. Instead of feeling like a sea storm,
it felt like a seesaw.

We all have waves in life.

Too often, we stand defiantly facing the problem with our mouths
wide open,

and we get swamped and choked.

Sometimes, if you just turn your cheeks the other way, ride the
waves, and keep your mouth shut, things go a lot smoother

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"My Grace Is Sufficient For You"
Proclaim the power of God,
whose majesty is over Israel,
whose power is in the skies.

You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary;
the God of Israel gives power and
strength to his people.

Praise be to God!

Psalm 68:34,35 NIV

In that day shall the LORD defend
the inhabitants of Jerusalem;
and he that is feeble among them
at that day shall be as David;
and the house of David shall be as God,
as the angel of the LORD before them.

Zechariah 12:8 KJV

For all things are for your sakes, so that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 4:15 NASB

They will see the glory of the LORD, The majesty of our God. Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. Say to those with anxious heart, "Take courage, fear not. Behold, your God will come with vengeance; The recompense of God will come, But He will save you."

Isaiah 35:3,4 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Whose heart the Lord opened.”

Acts 16:14

In Lydia's conversion there are many points of interest. It was brought about by providential circumstances. She was a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, but just at the right time for hearing Paul we find her at Philippi; providence, which is the handmaid of grace, led her to the right spot. Again, grace was preparing her soul for the blessing — grace preparing for grace. She did not know the Saviour, but as a Jewess, she knew many truths which were excellent stepping-stones to a knowledge of Jesus.

Her conversion took place in the use of the means. On the Sabbath she went when prayer was wont to be made, and there prayer was heard. Never neglect the means of grace; God may bless us when we are not in his house, but we have the greater reason to hope that he will when we are in communion with his saints. Observe the words, “Whose heart the Lord opened.” She did not open her own heart. Her prayers did not do it; Paul did not do it. The Lord himself must open the heart, to receive the things which make for our peace. He alone can put the key into the hole of the door and open it, and get admittance for himself. He is the heart's master as he is the heart's maker.

The first outward evidence of the opened heart was obedience. As soon as Lydia had believed in Jesus, she was baptized. It is a sweet sign of a humble and broken heart, when the child of God is willing to obey a command which is not essential to his salvation, which is not forced upon him by a selfish fear of condemnation, but is a simple act of obedience and of communion with his Master. The next evidence was love, manifesting itself in acts of grateful kindness to the apostles. Love to the saints has ever been a mark of the true convert. Those who do nothing for Christ or his church, give but sorry evidence of an “opened” heart. Lord, evermore give me an opened heart.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A KID LIKE YOU

Zach Hunter is a fifteen-year-old abolitionist and activist, spending much of his time working to end slavery around the world. He's the student spokesperson for The Amazing Change Campaign, which is inspired by the film "Amazing Grace". Last year he spoke to almost a half a million people and is educating and inspiring students everywhere to make a change in the world. He also founded Loose Change to Loosen Chains, a student run effort to help raise money to free slaves. Other than that, he's just your average, typical teenage guy.

His new book, "Be the Change," will be the focus of the next few weeks of devotionals. He is doing amazing things to help change the world, and you can do amazing things in our world, too.

LIVING OUT INFLUENCE TODAY

Another way to look at influence is to consider what marketers call "branding." You're familiar with the brands you buy and can recognize them easily by their logos. When you see the "swoosh" you think Nike, just as when you see the little white apple you think Mac. Millions of dollars are spent to get you to remember these brands and their slogans. And, as we've mentioned, connecting celebrity to brands makes them even more powerful and memorable.

But have you ever considered your brand? Well, each one of us has his or her own brand--even if we're still in school. Whether you're geek, jock, or emo (or, to be more politically correct, academic, athlete, artistic), everyone has a brand. Your brand is who people know you to be. It's your reputation.

Now these brands aren't always a good thing. It's true they can lead to prejudice or a cliquish environment in which we hang out only with people who have the same brand as us. This is wrong. Instead of using our brands to exclude others, why don't we use them to help others? Whatever our brands give us access to, let's utilize it. Just because we're young doesn't mean our voices don't matter and our brands don't carry power and influence. The Bible says, "even a child is known by his actions" (Proverbs 20:11). This means we can't be let off the hook just because we are young. We can't just sit back and expect our elders to do all the work.

I'm hopeful because I really believe our generation has the power and passion to change things. This past summer I met a group of really great guys in a new band called Leeland from a small town in Texas. They started out leading worship in their church, but they've come a long way since then. Lately they have been touring with Third Day, and playing at some of the Christian music festivals I have been going to. These young guys are men of God, and are way more mature than many people older than them. They are some of the most talented, godliest guys I know.

Last summer, I was speaking at a music festival, leading seminars on justice and abolition. The lead singer of the band, Leeland Mooring, was listening. He and the other guys in the group (Jack, Jake, Mike, and Jeremiah) had never heard about modern-day slavery. It blew them away that something as heinous as slavery is still going on today, especially when they found out many of the slaves are children and teens like us! That day, I told the story of a teenager who worked as a slave in a rock quarry and ended up having her finger amputated. (She and her family were later rescued, along with many other slaves, through the efforts of an organization I support through Loose Change to Loosen Chains. I also talked about some of the many passages like Isaiah 1:17 that speak of how God calls us to seek justice and rescue the oppressed.

The guys from Leeland began exploring further what God says about justice in Scripture and got involved. They didn't second-guess their convictions; they stepped up and began using their influence to help kids held in slavery, speaking from the stage to urge people to get involved.

I think that's what our generation should be about. We can be what so many generations before us were too scared to be. Lots of people have tried to label our generation. Well, I'd like to see us known as the "Justice Generation" or JGEN. If we can harness the power of our individual brands, strengths, and passions, and use them for good, just imagine what we could get done working together with God. Let's get busy!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Morality Doesn’t Need a Modifier

Two related habits of thought will render a Christian useless to his neighbors more quickly than just about any others. The first is the idea that our blessed hope is a disembodied existence strumming harps on clouds somewhere East of Mount Olympus for eternity. “This world is not my home, I’m just a’passing through,” as Jim Reeves sang. The other is that Christians are not citizens of this world in any moral sense, but live by an alien law from a different city.
I don’t mean this in the way Augustine did. His “city of man,” which was founded when Adam ate the fruitand established when Cain fled with the blood of his brother on his hands, has always been at war with the City of God. I am talking about a view that identifies the city of man with everything that is not the Church. In this view, anything not explicitly Christian becomes suspect, and our non-Christian neighbors are seen as moral cripples incapable of walking any road but Romans.

Anyone who is in the business of “engaging the culture” has either encountered this habit of thought or will very soon. There’s an obvious tension between any effort to restore and redeem our shared public life with unbelievers and the notion that unbelievers are incompetent for that shared public life. After all, what’s the use in trying to influence government, commerce, the academy, medicine, or entertainment for good if no one is going to understand what “good” means until they’ve given their lives to Jesus? In that case, we should be preaching the Gospel, not engaging the culture!

When morality becomes the exclusive province of Christians and Christianity, it collapses our mission in this world to evangelism, and turns all our efforts at good citizenship into a branding exercise. It leaves us with a Christian way of living and a non-Christian way of living, and nary the twain shall meet.
Depending on their personality and zip-code, believers who accept the idea that Jesus came to found a revolutionary new way of life alien to this world will adopt one of two postures. Either they will cordon off most of life as “secular” or “public,” and reserve a little private corner for their religion and its moral beliefs, or they will declare all of life sacred and go about attempting to set up a theocracy on their block. I’ll tackle the second group, first.

You’ve probably read a book or article in which the author so emphasized the unique contribution of Christianity in the world (for instance, in ending infanticide, elevating the status of women, or giving rise to the concept of human rights), that he or she leaves the impression that Christianity invented right and wrong. Those who want to emphasize how good Christ’s religion is for the world (and it is!) often come dangerously close to denying Paul’s teaching in Romans 1-2 that all of mankind has access to a culpable knowledge of God and the requirements of His moral law. For them, the Greeks and Romans weren’t exposing baby girls in defiance of a universal and natural law against murder, which they were suppressing. They simply had not received word from Jesus that baby-killing is wrong! Thus, Christianity becomes a replacement for nature, an ethical gnosis confined to the enlightened, a higher plane of existence—rather than the grace to restore the nature God put in His world at creation.

Then there are the apologetic battering rams, the type who use Van Tillian siege engines to tear down unbelievers’ pretensions of having any right to talk about good, evil, truth, or falsehood. “By what standard?” they demand of agnostics who think Christians are jerks for not baking gay-wedding cakes. The unbeliever often doesn’t have a very good answer, it’s true. That’s why the question keeps getting asked. And the apologist may come away from the exchange looking clever. But in my experience, the end result is rarely an unbeliever on his knees before the presuppositional kung fu master, asking “what must I do to be saved?” It’s usually an unbeliever who thinks of Christians from then on as high-strung con artists who won’t level with you and talk about the real world until you’re baptized.

Then there are the timid sorts, the ones I mentioned earlier who rope off a little nook of their lives for Christian standards and live everywhere else as if Bill Maher is lord. You will hear these Christians talk about their religious beliefs as “deeply personal” and they will frequently mention that Sunday school class they taught or how they were altar boys, before they pivot to the separation of church and state and assure all within earshot that they’re not interested in imposing their beliefs on anyone, goodness gracious!

You will often find them berating fellow Christians in blog posts, reminding us that we mustn’t hold the lost to a “Christian” standard, as if not dismembering children or engaging in same-sex relations were moral revelations given during the Sermon on the Mount. These incognito believers are especially common in my generation, who are quick (you have no idea) to explain that although they’re personally pro-life and think marriage in the church is between a man and a woman, they also accept a woman’s right to control her own body and are glad their gay friends can get married.

At first glance, these stealth Christians may seem like the opposite of the moral revolutionaries and the battering rams, but they actually share the foundational belief that “Christian morality” is a supernatural revelation that has little to do with those who don’t share our religion. For all three of these camps, our job as the Church isn’t really to persuade our neighbors of an ethical position or to write just laws, or to promote human flourishing, or even to be good citizens in general, but to overhaul worldviews.

It’s useless to try to convince pagans of Christian standards of behavior, this thinking goes, because such standards are foreign to them, blossoming as they do in the soil of beliefs revealed by Scripture—beliefs which no one can share until they submit to Christ. The real problem, say proponents of “Christian morality,” is upstream from opinions on babies and bedposts. They all see conversion as a prerequisite for discussions about right and wrong. The only thing they disagree on is how Jesus and Bill Maher will divvy up jurisdictions.

But what if morality doesn’t need a modifier? What if serious discussion of right and wrong is not the exclusive domain of religion, but part of living in this world? What if Jesus came not to introduce a new way of life, but to restore God’s original and good design, which has been broken? And what if this distinction makes Christianity more relevant to the world, not less?

One thing is certain: If morality is uniquely Christian, then “engaging the culture” is a fool’s errand. Jerusalem has nothing to do with Athens, or any other city, for that matter. But if right and wrong are intelligible concepts to the unbeliever—concepts the unbeliever is responsible for ignoring—and if there are natural reasons why marriage has a definition, why killing unborn children should be illegal, why boys cannot become girls, and why people should not be forced to say things they don’t believe, then Christians have something to do with this world. We are its moral citizens by birth, and its best citizens by rebirth. And we are here not only to announce that God is repairing human nature. We’re here to demonstrate what that looks like.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Blessed Correction from God
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Hebrews 12:9-11 KJV

Blessed is the man whom You chasten, O LORD, And whom You teach out of Your law; That You may grant him relief from the days of adversity, Until a pit is dug for the wicked.

For the LORD will not abandon His people, Nor will He forsake His inheritance.For judgment will again be righteous, And all the upright in heart will follow it.

Psalm 94:12-15 NASB

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. So you should not be like cowering, fearful slaves. You should behave instead like God's very own children, adopted into his family - calling him "Father, dear Father."

For his Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we are God's children. And since we are his children, we will share his treasures--for everything God gives to his Son, Christ, is ours, too. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.

Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will give us later. For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are.

Romans 8:14-19 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”

John 10:9

Jesus, the great I AM, is the entrance into the true church, and the way of access to God himself. He gives to the man who comes to God by him four choice privileges.

1. He shall be saved. The fugitive manslayer passed the gate of the city of refuge, and was safe. Noah entered the door of the ark, and was secure. None can be lost who take Jesus as the door of faith to their souls. Entrance through Jesus into peace is the guarantee of entrance by the same door into heaven. Jesus is the only door, an open door, a wide door, a safe door; and blessed is he who rests all his hope of admission to glory upon the crucified Redeemer.

2. He shall go in. He shall be privileged to go in among the divine family, sharing the children's bread, and participating in all their honours and enjoyments. He shall go in to the chambers of communion, to the banquets of love, to the treasures of the covenant, to the storehouses of the promises. He shall go in unto the King of kings in the power of the Holy Spirit, and the secret of the Lord shall be with him.

3. He shall go out. This blessing is much forgotten. We go out into the world to labour and suffer, but what a mercy to go in the name and power of Jesus! We are called to bear witness to the truth, to cheer the disconsolate, to warn the careless, to win souls, and to glorify God; and as the angel said to Gideon, “Go in this thy might,” even thus the Lord would have us proceed as his messengers in his name and strength.

4. He shall find pasture. He who knows Jesus shall never want. Going in and out shall be alike helpful to him: in fellowship with God he shall grow, and in watering others he shall be watered. Having made Jesus his all, he shall find all in Jesus. His soul shall be as a watered garden, and as a well of water whose waters fail not.

KumariSupriya

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Life Can Throw at You!

It is unbelievable what life can throw at you!

All my life I have grown up believing that life was fair and
beautiful. I had the best parents in the world. They are still
together after 57 years. What an inspiration!

The reason I am writing this is to let people know they could
always be worse off.

I am a married woman with three grown children.
My oldest son has AIDS.
I can't except it.
I can't let go and let God.

My other son has been bi-polar and takes heavy doses of meds
every day to keep him normal. He must be monitored daily.
He lives a block away in a place where they have apartments for
the disabled.

My youngest and only girl is a "drug addict."
She can't see her way out.

I pray for all of them every day. The pain is like no other
that I can describe. I ask myself, "What did I do wrong? Am I being punished? Why would God make all my children sick?"

It has taken its toll on my health, mentally and physically.
I have people tell me miracles happen. I don't believe that.

Why has God chosen me for all this heartache? They all live
close by and count on me for everything. All I do is cry and
cry. I have been married to their stepfather for 25 years.
He gives me no emotional support whatsoever. I read the Bible
daily and pray daily to keep HOPE. I will lie in bed all day
wishing I could make things better for them or I wish it was me
and not my children.

My question is... Why Me?

How can one person handle this alone?
I have no friends and do not belong to any church.
I do believe in God, but where is He?
I try to count my blessings, but can't seem to think of any.

Please pray for my children and me.

The reason I am writing this is to let people know they could
always be worse off.
After reading this, I can say that you are an amazing person and human being.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jesus’ Victory Doesn’t End on Easter. It Lasts Forever.

Matthias Grünewald, The Resurrection of Christ (right wing of the Isenheim Altarpiece)
Jesus’ victory doesn’t end on Easter. It lasts forever. Just ask the author of Hebrews who encouraged his congregation enduring suffering not to give up but persevere. Their reward awaits them and will last forever in view of Jesus’ lasting work on their behalf.
Hebrews 7-10 get at various aspects of how resilient and everlasting God’s saving work on their behalf really is. First, Jesus’ priesthood is eternal. It does not belong to the Aaronic order, but to the order of Melchizedek: “It is even more obvious when another priest arises, resembling Melchizedek, one who has become a priest, not through a legal requirement concerning physical descent, but through the power of an indestructible life. For it is attested of him, ‘You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek’” (Hebrews 7:15-17; NRSV).

Second, the New Covenant which Jesus inaugurates is eternal. It is not like the covenant established by Moses, which according to the author of Hebrews is “obsolete”: “‘For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.’ In speaking of ‘a new covenant,’ he has made the first one obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old will soon disappear” (Hebrews 8:12-13; NRSV).
Third, the heavenly temple in which Jesus serves presently is the eternal ideal. The earthly temple which was a copy of the eternal sanctuary has since been destroyed, but which was likely still standing at the time this epistle was written (See Hebrews 9:8-10). Regarding the copy and original temples or sanctuaries, the author of Hebrews writes, “For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a mere copy of the true one, but he entered into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf” (Hebrews 9:24; NRSV).

Fourth, Jesus’ sacrifice is priceless and never loses its value, whereas the bulls of blood and goats which can never cleanse us from sin had to be repeated indefinitely on behalf of the people. Now those sacrifices are no more, as the temple is no more. In contrast, Jesus’ sacrifice is finished, though its cleansing, saving and perfecting benefits are once and for all and last forever, just like his priesthood: “And every priest stands day after day at his service, offering again and again the same sacrifices that can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, ‘he sat down at the right hand of God’” (Hebrews 10:11-12; NRSV). Jesus achieves his lasting victory through the eternal Spirit through whom he offered himself unblemished to God (Hebrews 9:14).
All these points are summed up beautifully in the following passage in Hebrews 9:
But when Christ came as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation), he entered once for all into the Holy Place, not with the blood of goats and calves, but with his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls, with the sprinkling of the ashes of a heifer, sanctifies those who have been defiled so that their flesh is purified, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to worship the living God! For this reason he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, because a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions under the first covenant (Hebrews 9:11-15; NRSV).​

The Aaronic priesthood, Mosaic Law and Covenant, earthly temple and sacrifices of old all have important roles in God’s story of salvation, but they do not stand alone. Rather, they foreshadow and serve as copies and types of God’s perfect redemption made available to us in Jesus. And so, we must not go back to them or fall back never to return. Like the Hebrew Christians to whom the author of the epistle writes, we must press on to receive all that Jesus’ Easter victory anticipates.

In Hebrews 10:19-39, we find the author giving his congregation a stern warning, not out of spite, but out of sincere concern for his community of faith’s spiritual and eternal well-being. Members of his congregation are tempted to return to the copies and types and turn away from Jesus in the face of persecution. The warning regarding what awaits those who turn away from the one who alone can save them is real. However, in true pastoral form, the author of this epistle has confidence that his readers’ faith is real, and that they will remain true to Jesus, their faithful high priest: “But we are not among those who shrink back and so are lost, but among those who have faith and so are saved” (Hebrews 10:39; NRSV).

There are times when you and I may feel defeated, ready to give up and throw in the towel. During such times, it is easy to think that Easter is but one day of the year, and Jesus’ victory on Easter Sunday does not carry over to Monday morning. It’s almost as if Jesus went back to bed, or worse, the grave! When such feelings and thoughts arise, we need to step back and reconsider our spiritual surroundings, putting everything back in the broader context. We need to take note that such struggles, temptations and discouragements will not last forever. What will last forever is Jesus and his kingdom that conquered the grave, sin and guilt, and the ghastly devil on Easter morn. And so, we have every reason to get back up and run the race well to the end! I like how Thomas G. Long puts the matter in his discussion of Hebrews:
The Preacher knows that his congregation is tired, discouraged, and playing with injuries. The danger is that they will lose perspective and forget who they are, where they are, and the nature of the event, and simply quit. Losing sight of the goal, they will fear that they are merely running ragged rather than running in the great marathon of all time (see 12:1). So the Preacher tells them what they cannot see you are running in the supreme contest of humanity; the end of the race is near, and the victor’s prize of the ‘promised eternal inheritance’ awaits (10:36; see 9:15).[1]
I have had the privilege of sharing life with missionaries and ministry leaders from across the world this spring at the Overseas Ministries Study Center in New Haven, Connecticut. I have been struck by their perspective on numerous occasions. No doubt, God has used life circumstances and challenges to refine them, helping them to discern what really counts in light of what really lasts: Jesus and his Easter victory. These Christian leaders from Myanmar, South Korea, Malaysia, Nigeria and other countries understand that Jesus’ victory does not end on Easter but lasts forever. They are banking on Jesus in the midst of their disappointments and trials. They know he will come through and that they will receive their eternal reward. Their global and eternal perspective helps me see more clearly and focuses my eye on our eternal prize.

Long after we pick up the wrappings from chocolate Easter eggs and bunnies and clean up after Easter dinner, Jesus’ victory on Easter Sunday will continue—longer than an eternity of Mondays. Unlike the prize a child gets for winning the Easter egg hunt, which like everything else on earth perishes in due course, Jesus’ reward of life with God will last forever for us. Run the race well until the end.