• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Having The Mind Of Christ – Philippians 2

Philippians chapter 2 is a very special chapter, as it shows us the mind of Christ, and it all starts with humility.
The Mind of Christ
It’s impossible to know the Son of God without knowing the Word of God. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God (Rom 10:17), and by reading the Word of God. This pursuit of biblical knowledge often brings us closer to the mind of Christ. For example, Philippians 2 tells us of the great humility of Christ. With this in mind, the Apostle Paul writes to the church at Philippi, “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Phil 2:3-4), because that’s exactly what Jesus did in going to the cross, so he says, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped” (Phil 2:5-6). He had every right and authority to bring down legions of angels to stop the crucifixion, but instead, “When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly” (1st Pet 2:23).

Christ trusted the sure judgement of God so much that He raised not His voice, and even at the cross, prayed for those who were crucifying Him, so we must pray for our enemies, do good to them that hate us, and bless them that curse us. Besides, they bring us blessings, even inadvertently (Matt 5:10-12). I think part of praying for our enemies should include praying for their salvation. To love those who hate us and to bless those who curse us is not easy, but it is what someone with the mind of Christ would do (Phil 2:7-8), but even here, they could only do so with the help of Christ (Phil 4:13).

Minding like Christ
To have the mind of Christ we must have the humility of Christ, and we can learn of that humility through the gospels, particularly, the Gospel of John. In this gospel, we see His being honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable, and beyond measure in mercy and grace. He is also the truth, as well as the way and the life (John 14:6). In the gospels, you can read that Jesus’ mind was always fixated on doing the will of the Father (John 6:38), and His obedience was an outflow or by-product of His love for the Father. We don’t obey to be loved; we love…and out of that love for God, we naturally want to obey. It is our delight to obey, even though it’s still a struggle. Some of the most joyful people on the planet are those living in obedience to God. Jesus said, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15), and “If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love” (John 15:10).

The correlation is clear that “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him” (John 14:21). Want a definition of what the love of God is? The Apostle John gives us one: “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome” (1st John 5:3). It’s impossible to dwell on what is “honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable” when you’re living in disobedience. To have the mind of Christ is to be minding like Christ; minding the will of the Father, that is. That’s also called, following Christ.

Thinking of Christ
When Jesus came down and was born of a virgin and took upon Himself the flesh of humanity, He wasn’t thinking of Himself. Paul says that Jesus Christ “though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men” (Phil 2:6-7), so when we try to grab onto our “rights,” like someone else getting credit for something we did, or being bypassed for a promotion at work and the position goes to a co-worker who’s not been there as long as you are, think of Christ.

He had rights as God but He didn’t claim them at the cross; otherwise, we’d still be in our sins. If only in this life we seek to be elevated above others, we’re not having the mind of Christ, but rather, a carnal mind. It was because of Christ’s great humility and submission to the Father’s will that “God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name” (Phil 2:9).

Jesus warned that “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted” (Matt 23:12), and He was the supreme example of humbling Himself and later, being exalted to the highest degree. James, Jesus’ half-brother said, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6). The Bible is clear that “One’s pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor” (Prov 29:23), and Who has obtained more favor and honor than Jesus Christ? None! That’s not only because He is fully worthy of such glory and honor, but He humbled Himself and suffered shame, beatings, scourging’s, humiliations, illegal trials, and finally, an unjust crucifixion, but even with all this evil done against Him, He prayed,“Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34).

When we are persecuted because we believe in God and have put our trust in Christ, think of Christ and how He was treated infinitely worse than we will ever be, but Paul had the wisdom to know that this was a way of getting to know Christ better. It was so“that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death” (Phil 3:10). Paul believed that he could know Christ better by entering into the same kind of sufferings as He had, although not nearly to the same extent (Isaiah 53), but for Paul, to suffer like Christ, is to better know Christ. Paul knew the mind of Christ well enough to know, that he must not respond to His enemies in like manner.

Conclusion
If we desire to have the mind of Christ, we should be looking to Christ, or “looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb 12:2). To be like Christ includes the necessity of humility and submission to the Father’s will. God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6). I don’t believe God will use anyone mightily until they have first humbled themselves greatly. That’s what the mind of Christ is like.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All good gifts come from Him
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

James 1:17 NASB

"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

Luke 11:9-13 NKJV

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 1:5-7 ESV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“With thee is the fountain of life.”

Psalm 36:9

There are times in our spiritual experience when human counsel or sympathy, or religious ordinances, fail to comfort or help us. Why does our gracious God permit this? Perhaps it is because we have been living too much without him, and he therefore takes away everything upon which we have been in the habit of depending, that he may drive us to himself. It is a blessed thing to live at the fountain head. While our skin- bottles are full, we are content, like Hagar and Ishmael, to go into the wilderness; but when those are dry, nothing will serve us but “Thou God seest me.”

We are like the prodigal, we love the swine-troughs and forget our Father's house. Remember, we can make swine-troughs and husks even out of the forms of religion; they are blessed things, but we may put them in God's place, and then they are of no value. Anything becomes an idol when it keeps us away from God: even the brazen serpent is to be despised as “Nehushtan,” if we worship it instead of God. The prodigal was never safer than when he was driven to his father's bosom, because he could find sustenance nowhere else. Our Lord favors us with a famine in the land that it may make us seek after himself the more. The best position for a Christian is living wholly and directly on God's grace — still abiding where he stood at first — “Having nothing, and yet possessing all things.”

Let us never for a moment think that our standing is in our sanctification, our mortification, our graces, or our feelings, but know that because Christ offered a full atonement, therefore we are saved; for we are complete in him. Having nothing of our own to trust to, but resting upon the merits of Jesus — his passion and holy life furnish us with the only sure ground of confidence. Beloved, when we are brought to a thirsting condition, we are sure to turn to the fountain of life with eagerness.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just Go!

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of
the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And
behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." --MATTHEW 28:19-20 (ESV)

The world calls it proselytizing, and for all practical purposes, what they're referring to is not the
right way to disciple someone. Jesus didn't tell people to go out on the street corner and slander
people because of their sin in hopes that they'd come to repentance.

He didn't even ask you to argue with someone until he comes to a realization of salvation.

No, Jesus said, "Go." Go to all nations and make disciples.

Today, making disciples looks a lot different than it did even 15 or 20 years ago. People aren't as
compelled to listen to someone ranting and raving about sin in the world and prophecy of doom
and destruction.

We've moved into a time period when the general public is longing for someone to live what she
says. They want to check you out personally and make sure you're the real deal before they let
you into their spiritual worlds. Some people don't think they need God, while others are simply
ignorant of the fact that God exists.

Some Christians think you have to be an old, wise sage to speak into the lives of others. Don't
be fooled--you don't have to be 60 years old to start discipling someone; you can start today.
Paul told Timothy, "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in
speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of
Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by
prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things; devote yourself
to them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching.
Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers" (1 Timothy 4:12-16, ESV).

When you set out to disciple someone, all you need is simply to be one step ahead of the
person you're teaching. As you go through this book, each chapter is dedicated to preparing you
to take one step forward. You'll have plenty to talk about if you simply look up the Scriptures and
combine your reading with a little study on that particular issue.

Go and find someone who respects you. Find someone who looks up to you. Find someone who
would be excited to sit down over a cup of coffee, or a slice of pizza, and talk about how to know
God's will in his life. It's the most rewarding part of being a Christian, because it's true to Jesus'
commandment.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lonliness?
"Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."

2 Corinthians 6:17,18 NIV

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

John 14:18-20 KJV

"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done that of which I have spoken to you."

Genesis 28:15 RSV

The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade at your right hand.

The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.

The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.

The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.

Psalm 121:5-8 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He shall gather the lambs with his arm.”

Isaiah 40:11

Our good Shepherd has in his flock a variety of experiences, some are strong in the Lord, and others are weak in faith, but he is impartial in his care for all his sheep, and the weakest lamb is as dear to him as the most advanced of the flock. Lambs are wont to lag behind, prone to wander, and apt to grow weary, but from all the danger of these infirmities the Shepherd protects them with his arm of power.

He finds new-born souls, like young lambs, ready to perish — he nourishes them till life becomes vigorous; he finds weak minds ready to faint and die—he consoles them and renews their strength. All the little ones he gathers, for it is not the will of our heavenly Father that one of them should perish. What a quick eye he must have to see them all! What a tender heart to care for them all! What a far-reaching and potent arm, to gather them all!

In his lifetime on earth he was a great gatherer of the weaker sort, and now that he dwells in heaven, his loving heart yearns towards the meek and contrite, the timid and feeble, the fearful and fainting here below. How gently did he gather me to himself, to his truth, to his blood, to his love, to his church! With what effectual grace did he compel me to come to himself! Since my first conversion, how frequently has he restored me from my wanderings, and once again folded me within the circle of his everlasting arm!

The best of all is, that he does it all himself personally, not delegating the task of love, but condescending himself to rescue and preserve his most unworthy servant. How shall I love him enough or serve him worthily? I would fain make his name great unto the ends of the earth, but what can my feebleness do for him? Great Shepherd, add to thy mercies this one other, a heart to love thee more truly as I ought.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Games We Play

When I was in my teens, many years ago, I wanted more than anything, to be beautiful and popular. While I may have had some beauty, popularity seemed to allude me. I was too smart, often very shy, and I had no idea how to hold my peer's attention long enough to find my hands, much less hold their attention. At least, not until that one night, long ago.

I was at a Friday gathering with other teens and budding twenty-somethings. I was uncomfortable, out of place, and I wondered if there was still time to run home and catch the beginning of a Friday movie, with my mother. I did not belong where I was. I did not drink, nor smoke, and I simply hated the "party games" that everyone played. At that moment, someone insisted that each of us tell a secret about ourselves - something we had never revealed to a single soul. Well, I was pretty much an open book, and I could think of nothing interesting about myself, that everyone did not already know. So, I waited until it became my turn. I was sweating like horse, and I had hoped they would skip me.

"So, come on, Jaye, tell us your deepest, darkest secret."

"I - I don't have any secrets, I think." Well, of course I was not believed. With much pressure and persuasive words, I was cajoled to come up with something. Right before the words came spilling out, I felt a godly pressure on my heart. I ignored it. Popularity beckoned, and I could not resist.

"I read palms!" The words blurted out from between my lips.

"Really!"

"How wonderful!"

"Read mine!"

"No, read mine!"

For the first time in my life, I felt important. And as hand after hand reached out to me, I felt something truly scary: I felt power. Power over others. Their desires. Their hopes. And their needs.

So, I began "reading" palms, and I continued this for several Fridays. I was good at it. Heck, I was great at it. I saw the look of hope, in the eyes of another, as I told them exactly what they wanted to hear. I did not see how much I was manipulating each of them, as the gatherings became larger and larger. I was like Santa Claus, promising futures that I had no power to give.

I began to believe the lies that I was telling them. I began to believe that I really did have power. I began to believe that God had truly given me a "gift." I could help people. And when dollars were shoved into my hands, I thought, I could make money. I feel shame to even remember, and I could not, nor would not take the money, using the excuse that "money would only weaken my powers."

You see, I knew it was wrong. We always do, no matter what lie we tell ourselves. We know, just as the Apostle Paul said we would know, in Romans 1:20:

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse..."

I was without excuse. So, I can honestly say, I knew; but the power of finally being popular, was heady to my young heart. This might have gone on forever, except for one event, that changed this course in my life. One day, one of my new "friends" came running up to me, in a store. He was out of breath, and he urgently wanted my advice. Oh, look at me! I'm so popular, I thought. People want my advice! Inside I smiled. I thought I was happy.

"I love Loren!" The words tumbled out of his mouth, like a torrent. "Please tell me. Should I marry her??!"

Oh, my gosh! This was no game! He was serious! He had a kind of gleam in his eyes. Almost like he was half-mad. All of a sudden, I saw something evil in his eyes, and I realized that it was my reflection that I saw. I felt incredible shame, and a terrible dread.

"I DON'T DO THIS!" I shouted.

"Oh, I know," he said, grabbing my arm with tightly clenched fingers. "It's your power! You're magical power!" The gleam in his eyes was terrifying.

"IT'S JUST A GAME!!!" I shouted, almost screaming. I wrenched my arm free, and I ran, out of the store, and out of the lives of my new-found false friends.

At home, I fell to my knees, begging God's forgiveness; and I promised that I would never knowingly do such a thing again. I have kept my promise. Now, I want to tell you what all of this means.

Psychic powers. It's a lie. Yes, there are those, who can fool others, Those who want easy answers are easily fooled. It's evil. It is evil because the devil is the manipulator, and he is the father of all lies. There are those, who have a capacity to see what is subliminal (something unintentionally revealed) - a trick of the mind, and no more. Outside of the Holy Scriptures, and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, this is a very dangerous game. It is very dangerous to a person's faith, and even an immortal soul. If you think it would be fun to dabble, RUN! If you think it is harmless, know that it is not. It is a temptation to sin. I know that television and movies seem to celebrate psychics and witchs; but look into their eyes and you will see their hollow, empty souls.

One man claims to pray before each "reading," yet he has said he doesn't believe in God. Who is he praying to? And why should he bother? Another, rather hefty woman, claims to talk to the dead, for grieving parents, children, spouses, and sweethearts. The only thing dead, that I have seen, are her eyes. Look at their eyes, and you will see their empty souls. This is no place for you to play.

I know it is hard to be a teen. I was one, and it was very hard for me. However, I began to understand, just what a relationship with Jesus means. I began to understand just what "power" is, in Him. Now, I am growing old, and my time is shorter; but I have never seen, nor experienced, anything that can compare to the warmth, affection, affirmation and grace of our living God. Nothing compares to Him. I pray for you, in this world that has become more weary.

I wish that I had been blessed with Michael and Kristi Powers. They have a special calling. Remember that you are the sons and daughters of the One, and Only King. Nothing on this earth will ever be greater than that.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Give Him Glory!
Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Phillipians 2:9-11 NIV

These words spake Jesus, and lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify Thee:

As Thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as Thou hast given Him. And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent.

John 17:1-3 KJV

All the kings of the earth will give thanks to You, O LORD, When they have heard the words of Your mouth. And they will sing of the ways of the LORD, For great is the glory of the LORD. For though the LORD is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly, But the haughty He knows from afar.

Psalm 138:4-6 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice.”

1 Samuel 15:22

Saul had been commanded to slay utterly all the Amalekites and their cattle. Instead of doing so, he preserved the king, and suffered his people to take the best of the oxen and of the sheep. When called to account for this, he declared that he did it with a view of offering sacrifice to God; but Samuel met him at once with the assurance that sacrifices were no excuse for an act of direct rebellion. The sentence before us is worthy to be printed in letters of gold, and to be hung up before the eyes of the present idolatrous generation, who are very fond of the fineries of will-worship, but utterly neglect the laws of God.

Be it ever in your remembrance, that to keep strictly in the path of your Savior's command is better than any outward form of religion; and to hearken to his precept with an attentive ear is better than to bring the fat of rams, or any other precious thing to lay upon his altar. If you are failing to keep the least of Christ's commands to his disciples, I pray you be disobedient no longer. All the pretensions you make of attachment to your Master, and all the devout actions which you may perform, are no recompense for disobedience. “To obey,” even in the slightest and smallest thing, “is better than sacrifice,” however pompous.

Talk not of Gregorian chants, sumptuous robes, incense, and banners; the first thing which God requires of his child is obedience; and though you should give your body to be burned, and all your goods to feed the poor, yet if you do not hearken to the Lord's precepts, all your formalities shall profit you nothing. It is a blessed thing to be teachable as a little child, but it is a much more blessed thing when one has been taught the lesson, to carry it out to the letter. How many adorn their temples and decorate their priests, but refuse to obey the word of the Lord! My soul, come not thou into their secret.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/preve...tter&utm_campaign=Evangelical&utm_content=46#

Knowledge Isn’t Power In A Sexually Depraved World

I must admit to a certain measure of alarm this morning. After what appears to be nearly a week, the Harvey Weinstein story is still playing strong. The outrage du jour is lasting ages past the jour part and almost into the semaine. Are you seriously expecting me to keep thinking about One kind of scandal for more than forty-eight hours?
It’s almost like the deep incoherent hypocrisy of this culture has finally been brought enough into the light to show the truth about the human person, every human person–that he, and maybe sometimes she, is a sinner, a person who does bad things while professing to do good ones.

Sin is kind of a drag. Especially as we’ve been training ourselves since the dawn of time to think of ourselves as upright, holy, pure, doing good rather than evil. Go look at that ghastly song of praise that Lamech sings to himself in Genesis, rejoicing in the strength of his own arm, the glory of his own vengeance. The song isn’t a song of repentance–oh no! I killed a child, oh no! May God have mercy!–but of boasting. And how can you pass over the awful reality that he has taken two wives, as Matt pointed out in his sermon on Sunday. Lamech is the first, the primordial polygamist. His wives have to rally round and listen to his ugly song. There the world is all fresh and new, and within a matter of minutes the corruption has run so deep that no one can even vaguely recall the serenity of the garden.

Men are sinners. All of them. So has shown the hashtag burgeoning on Facebook and Twitter–#metoo. I think there’s a total of three women in my various feeds who haven’t used it. And those three have gotten into fights about whether or not they’re deluding themselves. But now that all the Twitter users of the west have seen the enormity and scope of Man’s bad behavior, his wrong posture towards the other half of humanity, what are we to do? He is a sinner. We can see it. We know it. We’re not any longer trying to say that he is good. What next?

The problem with our post modern selves is that we think that knowledge is power. We think that just by knowing more information we’ll be able to put right what we destroyed. Unhappily, though, it is not. It isn’t even a little bit. Knowledge is knowledge, and power is power. But we always say to ourselves, to know is to be able to turn around, to fix everything, to change the world.

But really, look back at Adam and Eve. They were world changers. They took the goodness and beauty of God and changed it into such a corrupt idolatry that it altered everything. They destroyed the deep coherence of God’s creation, bringing the strong power of death not only to the body and the created order, but to the mind and heart. And having made this change, they then had all the knowledge they that moment had grasped for. They stood there and looked at their naked sorry selves, seeing everything. Unfortunately, that knowledge brought with it no power to do anything. They plucked some leaves, and the wind blew cold along the bareness of their unclothed skin.

Knowledge isn’t power. The human person, finally seeing his sin, is helpless, unable to climb out, unable to remedy anything. He can’t fix it. He can’t go back. He can’t undo the ugly deed.
It has to be God who comes in and does something. For the thousands of woman hash-tagging #metoo there isn’t a human, a man’s remedy for that. More education, more knowledge isn’t the answer. Indeed, the power was the problem in the first place. It was used to twist and pervert knowledge, it was used to block the cold wind of conviction.
No, there has to be a miracle. There has to be a God who comes in with his own power, his own perfect knowledge to restore what was broken and lost. His solution has to be accepted, has to be grabbed onto, clung to after the false and ridiculous grab at human flesh. This God offered his own body, his own blood in the place of the one who sinned.

The trouble is, having for many a year chucked over the concept of sin, we threw out the deep and total remedy that God provided in his own blood, even in that awful moment in the garden–the gracious and healing balm of forgiveness. For all the years that we’ve been corrupting ourselves and each other with power and half truths, God has been using it to unwind the confusion, mend the brokenness, heal the wounds. If you thought the garden was lovely, you will be overcome by the richness of God’s more perfect gift of forgiveness to the repentant sinner.
Whoever you are, go to him and learn about it. Lay down your knowledge and your power. It isn’t enough. It won’t clothe you. Go learn about the mercy of grace. There is no other way.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Telling the Truth
"Do not lie. Do not deceive one another.
Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane
the name of your God. I am the LORD."

Leviticus 19:11,12 NIV

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Revelation 21:8 KJV

In your hearts you devise wrongs; your hands deal out violence on earth. The wicked go astray from the womb, they err from their birth, speaking lies.

Psalm 58:2,3 RSV

Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor," for we are members of one another.

Ephesians 4:25 NKJV

So get rid of all malicious behavior and deceit. Don't just pretend to be good! Be done with hypocrisy and jealousy and backstabbing.

1 Peter 2:1 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“God, my maker, who giveth songs in the night.”

Job 35:10

Any man can sing in the day. When the cup is full, man draws inspiration from it. When wealth rolls in abundance around him, any man can praise the God who gives a plenteous harvest or sends home a loaded argosy. It is easy enough for an Aeolian harp to whisper music when the winds blow — the difficulty is for music to swell forth when no wind is stirring. It is easy to sing when we can read the notes by daylight; but he is skilful who sings when there is not a ray of light to read by — who sings from his heart.

No man can make a song in the night of himself; he may attempt it, but he will find that a song in the night must be divinely inspired. Let all things go well, I can weave songs, fashioning them wherever I go out of the flowers that grow upon my path; but put me in a desert, where no green thing grows, and wherewith shall I frame a hymn of praise to God? How shall a mortal man make a crown for the Lord where no jewels are? Let but this voice be clear, and this body full of health, and I can sing God's praise: silence my tongue, lay me upon the bed of languishing, and how shall I then chant God's high praises, unless he himself give me the song? No, it is not in man's power to sing when all is adverse, unless an altar-coal shall touch his lip.

It was a divine song, which Habakkuk sang, when in the night he said, “Although the fig-tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labor of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.” Then, since our Maker gives songs in the night, let us wait upon him for the music. O thou chief musician, let us not remain songless because affliction is upon us, but tune thou our lips to the melody of thanksgiving.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
YOU DON'T HAVE TO GUESS!

Many Christians stress out about making a decision because they wrongly believe they have to find God's one "right" answer to the problem. They spend countless hours struggling to determine God's "perfect will" for their lives--something God never told them to do.

"Perfect will"--the idea that God has a specific plan for us and that if we miss it, then we're living "Plan B"--is not a concept that's supported by Scripture. Our responsibility is to make sure we follow God's moral standards. Beyond that, we're free to choose the path for our life.

That's a difficult concept for many Christians to grasp. We want to believe that God must green-light all of our decisions--that he has a perfect will for each of us--one that we must find for ourselves. But is that really consistent with God's character and his interactions with us?

Throughout Scripture God presents himself using the analogy of a good father. Even if you don't have the best biological dad in the world, you know what a good father should be like.

I feel blessed because I do have a great father. My dad is an architect by trade, and his personality suits his chosen career. He's a very orderly, structured, and intentional person. If he weren't, then it would be hard for him to get anything built. (And if he weren't meticulous, then the buildings he designed would most likely fall down.) I see my dad as a significant creator who possesses many of God's attributes of orderliness, purpose, and imagination.

Yet as good a father as he is, my dad doesn't expect me to depend on him to make every decision for me. Can you imagine what my life might be like if he did?

"Hi, Dad, it's me. My friends want to go to lunch. Should I go with them?"

"Yes, son, you should."

"Where should we go?"

"You should go to Wendy's."

"What should I order?"

"You should order a Spicy Chicken Sandwich meal."

"Should I biggie-size it?"

"No, son, you must not biggie-size it."

I think you get the idea. It would be ridiculous to expect my father to have a firm opinion on all of those decisions. My father taught me how to tell right from wrong and how to make good choices. Therefore, I'm free to make decisions within those parameters without getting into trouble.

God, the best Dad we could ever hope for, has done the same thing for us. He's given us the boundaries of his moral standards and the freedom to make our own decisions within those boundaries.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Loving Him
Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.

Deuteronomy 7:9 NIV

Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.

Ephesians 6:23,24 KJV

Because he has loved Me,
therefore I will deliver him;

I will set him securely on high,
because he has known My name.

He will call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.

Psalm 91:14,15 KJV

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Matthew 22:36-40

Jesus is quoting from Deuteronomy:

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.

Deuteronomy 6:4-6 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Keep not back.”

Isaiah 43:6

Although this message was sent to the south, and referred to the seed of Israel, it may profitably be a summons to ourselves. Backward we are naturally to all good things, and it is a lesson of grace to learn to go forward in the ways of God. Reader, are you unconverted, but do you desire to trust in the Lord Jesus? Then keep not back. Love invites you, the promises secure you success, the precious blood prepares the way. Let not sins or fears hinder you, but come to Jesus just as you are. Do you long to pray? Would you pour out your heart before the Lord? Keep not back. The mercy-seat is prepared for such as need mercy; a sinner's cries will prevail with God. You are invited, nay, you are commanded to pray, come therefore with boldness to the throne of grace.

Dear friend, are you already saved? Then keep not back from union with the Lord's people. Neglect not the ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper. You may be of a timid disposition, but you must strive against it, lest it lead you into disobedience. There is a sweet promise made to those who confess Christ—by no means miss it, lest you come under the condemnation of those who deny him. If you have talents keep not back from using them. Hoard not your wealth, waste not your time; let not your abilities rust or your influence be unused.

Jesus kept not back, imitate him by being foremost in self-denials and self-sacrifices. Keep not back from close communion with God, from boldly appropriating covenant blessings, from advancing in the divine life, from prying into the precious mysteries of the love of Christ. Neither, beloved friend, be guilty of keeping others back by your coldness, harshness, or suspicions. For Jesus’ sake go forward yourself, and encourage others to do the like. Hell and the leaguered bands of superstition and infidelity are forward to the fight. O soldiers of the cross, keep not back!

Tweet It - Facebook It

Sponsor

Have you or a member of your family served our country? We believe Veterans deserve affordable home loan benefits.
Benefits include:
  • 0% Down (No Down Payment)
  • Competitive Interest Rates
  • Easy to Qualify for
Click here to get started

Morning by Morning Devotional for Tomorrow, October 21
Charles H. Spurgeon

“The love of Christ constraineth us.”

2 Corinthians 5:14

How much owest thou unto my Lord? Has he ever done anything for thee? Has he forgiven thy sins? Has he covered thee with a robe of righteousness? Has he set thy feet upon a rock? Has he established thy goings? Has he prepared heaven for thee? Has he prepared thee for heaven? Has he written thy name in his book of life? Has he given thee countless blessings? Has he laid up for thee a store of mercies, which eye hath not seen nor ear heard?

Then do something for Jesus worthy of his love. Give not a mere wordy offering to a dying Redeemer. How will you feel when your Master comes, if you have to confess that you did nothing for him, but kept your love shut up, like a stagnant pool, neither flowing forth to his poor or to his work. Out on such love as that! What do men think of a love which never shows itself in action? Why, they say, “Open rebuke is better than secret love.” Who will accept a love so weak that it does not actuate you to a single deed of self-denial, of generosity, of heroism, or zeal!

Think how he has loved you, and given himself for you! Do you know the power of that love? Then let it be like a rushing mighty wind to your soul to sweep out the clouds of your worldliness, and clear away the mists of sin. “For Christ's sake” be this the tongue of fire that shall sit upon you: “for Christ's sake” be this the divine rapture, the heavenly afflatus to bear you aloft from earth, the divine spirit that shall make you bold as lions and swift as eagles in your Lord's service. Love should give wings to the feet of service, and strength to the arms of labor. Fixed on God with a constancy that is not to be shaken, resolute to honor him with a determination that is not to be turned aside, and pressing on with an ardor never to be wearied, let us manifest the constraints of love to Jesus. May the divine loadstone draw us heavenward towards itself.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
EVALUATE YOUR MOTIVES

Proverbs 12:15 says, "The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice."

Motives are tricky. They're often deceptive and difficult to uncover. Ten people can do the same thing, but they might do it for ten different reasons. Yet motives are tremendously important. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus encouraged his followers to pray, fast, and give-but not so that anyone else would know they were doing those good things (see Matthew 6:1-18). He knew that too often we do things--even good things--for selfish reasons.

Human beings are masters at rationalization. A song from a few years ago tried to rationalize a person's desire for sex with these words: "How can love be wrong when it feels so right?" We often assume something is right just because we want to do it. But that attitude is no different from animal instinct. We just have prettier words to describe it, such as passion and romance and desire.

Some people think they can get away with anything as long as they attach God to it. I've talked to teenagers who tried to tell me, "I know God wanted me to have sex."

So I asked, "How do you know that?"

"I just know," came the reply.

Sometimes reason takes a backseat to raw selfishness. I've talked to young people who've stolen things, and when they were caught, they came up with this brilliant explanation: "I needed it more than he did." That's deep.

All of our decisions seem right to us initially. It's only later that we realize just how stupid or short-sighted they really were. What's more, many of us are masters at twisting words to make our actions sound reasonable. If you're uncertain about your motives for making a certain decision, ask yourself these questions:

* How strongly do I feel about one solution over another?

* Am I so biased toward one decision that I'm not open to other ideas?

* Do I know deep inside that my desire is wrong?

While it's difficult to uncover every bias, it's good to force yourself to think about some of the ways in which you're influenced. If you're not sure how strong your biases are, answer the following questions:

1. Do you typically favor one political party? If so, then in just one sentence, explain why.

2. Are there people in your life whose side you'd take even if they're wrong?

3. List the five worst sins a person can commit.

4. What quality do you admire most in people?

5. Why do you dress in the style you do? With what look do you identify the most?

6. Which is more important to you: finishing a task or interacting with someone?

7. Do you typically prepare in advance or do you wait until the last minute?

8. If you're supposed to meet someone, how late can the person be before you get annoyed with her?

9. What kinds of people make you cringe inside?

10. What do you think about people from other ethnic backgrounds?

11. Which groups do you admire and which do you not respect? Explain your attitude in one sentence.

Once you answer these questions, you'll find that you definitely have opinions on some matters--sometimes strong, emotionally driven opinions. Take a moment to reflect on how that might bias you in a given situation.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Humility
And He said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

Matthew 18:3-5 NIV

When men are cast down, then thou shalt say,
There is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.

Job 22:29 KJV

But he gives more grace; therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you men of double mind.

James 4:6-8 RSV

For though the LORD is exalted,
Yet He regards the lowly,
But the haughty He knows from afar.
Psalm 138:6 NASB

The greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:11,12 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?”

Luke 24:38

“Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest O Israel, my way is hid from the Lord, and my judgment is passed over from my God?” The Lord cares for all things, and the meanest creatures share in his universal providence, but his particular providence is over his saints. “The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him.” “Precious shall their blood be in his sight.” “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” “We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are the called according to his purpose.”

Let the fact that, while he is the Savior of all men, he is specially the Savior of them that believe, cheer and comfort you. You are his peculiar care; his regal treasure which he guards as the apple of his eye; his vineyard over which he watches day and night. “The very hairs of your head are all numbered.” Let the thought of his special love to you be a spiritual pain-killer, a dear quietus to your woe: “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” God says that as much to you as to any saint of old. “Fear not, I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.” We lose much consolation by the habit of reading his promises for the whole church, instead of taking them directly home to ourselves.

Believer, grasp the divine word with a personal, appropriating faith. Think that you hear Jesus say, “I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not.” Think you see him walking on the waters of thy trouble, for he is there, and he is saying, “Fear not, it is I; be not afraid.” Oh, those sweet words of Christ! May the Holy Ghost make you feel them as spoken to you; forget others for awhile — accept the voice of Jesus as addressed to you, and say, “Jesus whispers consolation; I cannot refuse it; I will sit under his shadow with great delight.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
GIVING MY TIME

It seems as though people are busier today than ever--especially middle school students. When we were in middle school, there really wasn't much else happening. We'd come home from school and sit around, hoping to find something fun to pass the time. But life for you gets really busy really easily. You play sports all year round, you're in a couple of after-school clubs, you have tons of homework, and you probably go to church once or twice a week. When you do find yourself with a little free time, you probably spend it hanging out online, playing video games, or reading really cool books about middle school life! None of that stuff is bad. Heck, both of us enjoy going online, playing video games, and reading books, too!

But when you look around, it's pretty easy to see that lots of people are using some of their free time to do stuff that helps others and makes the world a little bit better. When a disaster like a hurricane or tsunami happens, people from all over the world chip in to help out. In the inner city, caring volunteers tutor and mentor children. Volunteers who enjoy sports and spending time with kids coach the sports teams you play on.

You're probably good at lots of stuff. In fact, take two minutes and make a mental list of everything you're good at. It'll probably take more time than that, but two minutes should give you a good start. God gave you those gifts and abilities for a reason: So you can use them! Not so you can use them just for your own fun and excitement, but so you can make a difference!

Are you good at sports? Then maybe you can help coach a team of younger kids.

Are you good at math? How about asking your math teacher if he knows of anybody who needs extra help?

Do you like little children? The children's department at your church is probably looking for extra help!

Life keeps us really busy. But most of our time is taken up being busy doing stuff that only helps ourselves. What if you slowed down just enough to spend some of your time doing something that makes a difference in someone else's life?

GIVING MY TALENTS

If you're reading this book in order, you'll probably notice that this chapter is a lot like the last one. In fact, this chapter is almost like part 2 of the last chapter. So you may want to read the chapter on giving your time before you read this one.

Jesus told a story about a landowner who was going away on a long trip. Before he left, he pulled aside three of his servants and gave them each some money to take care of while he was gone. He was gone for a really long time, and when he finally came home, he called his servants to see what they had done with his money (in the Bible, this money was called "talent"). Two of the three servants had used the money in creative ways to make even more money for the landowner. He was super excited and thankful. The third servant didn't do so well, though. He played it safe and did nothing with the money. Instead of using it to make more money for the master, he just dug a hole in the ground and hid it. In his way of thinking, it was better to play it safe than to take a chance and risk losing the landowner's money.

That doesn't sound terrible, does it? Well, it must have been, because the master was totally ticked off! He called the servant evil and lazy because he didn't try to use the money he had been given. The story doesn't say this, but it seems as though the landowner just wanted the three servants to do something...anything...with the money he left them. It would have been better for the third servant to take a risk and lose the money than to just bury it and not use it at all.

God has given you lots of gifts. You are good at lots of stuff. If you're a Christian, you are God's servant, and God gave you these talents to make a difference in our world. He doesn't care if you try and fail. He understands that using your talents for him feels a little risky. He's okay with all that. In fact, part of growing in your Christian faith is practicing using the gifts, talents, and abilities God has given you. When you start using your talents, you'll find out pretty quickly that things won't always work out exactly the way you think they should. The truth is you'll probably make lots of mistakes. But that's okay, because the biggest mistake is playing it safe, taking no risks, and doing nothing with what God has given you.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He is Our Guide
For this God is our God for ever and ever;
He will be our guide even to the end.

Psalm 48:14 NIV

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying,
This is the way, walk ye in it,
when ye turn to the right hand,
and when ye turn to the left.

Isaiah 30:21 KJV

I will lead the blind by a way they do not know,
In paths they do not know I will guide them.

I will make darkness into light before them
And rugged places into plains.
These are the things I will do,
And Iwill not leave them undone.

Isaiah 42:16 NASB

He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 23:3b-4 NKJV

Feed the hungry and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as day. The LORD will guide you continually, watering your life when you are dry and keeping you healthy, too. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring. Your children will rebuild the deserted ruins of your cities. Then you will be known as the people who rebuild their walls and cities.

Isaiah 58:10-12 NLT