• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Jesus was not real, them the story of Jesus and Christianity must be the mystery of mysteries! How could a 'fake' story lasted so long - for more than 2000 years with the huge number of books printed that there is no close second. If one could stack all the books about Jesus and Christianity and one could stack up right to the top of Mt. Everest.

So, it worth for all of us, every of us to continue to read this mysterious story!

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That I May Know Him
For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.

He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

Colossians 1:9-18

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.”

Psalm 31:5

These words have been frequently used by holy men in their hour of departure. We may profitably consider them this evening. The object of the faithful man's solicitude in life and death is not his body or his estate, but his spirit; this is his choice treasure—if this be safe, all is well. What is this mortal state compared with the soul? The believer commits his soul to the hand of his God; it came from him, it is his own, he has aforetime sustained it, he is able to keep it, and it is most fit that he should receive it.

All things are safe in Jehovah's hands; what we entrust to the Lord will be secure, both now and in that day of days towards which we are hastening. It is peaceful living, and glorious dying, to repose in the care of heaven. At all times we should commit our all to Jesus’ faithful hand; then, though life may hang on a thread, and adversities may multiply as the sands of the sea, our soul shall dwell at ease, and delight itself in quiet resting places.

“Thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.” Redemption is a solid basis for confidence. David had not known Calvary as we have done, but temporal redemption cheered him; and shall not eternal redemption yet more sweetly console us? Past deliverances are strong pleas for present assistance. What the Lord has done he will do again, for he changes not. He is faithful to his promises, and gracious to his saints; he will not turn away from his people.

“Though thou slay me I will trust,
Praise thee even from the dust,
Prove, and tell it as I prove,
Thine unutterable love.
Thou mayst chasten and correct,
But thou never canst neglect;
Since the ransom price is paid,
On thy love my hope is stay'd.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God's Special Instrument

Sailors poured onto the rocky beach as their small craft landed. Nearby cliffs echoed with a shout: "Grab that short one before he gets away!" The Indian boy felt a sailor's callused hands grasp his shoulders. Though he thrashed and jerked, Squanto (SKWAN- to) couldn't break free. As fibers from a coarse rope cut into his wrists he finally decided that struggle was useless. He was dragged into a longboat, then carried aboard a three-masted English ship anchored offshore.

Squanto had been fishing along the rugged coast when his friend had looked up and pointed, "Great boats with white wings." They had scrambled over the boulders to meet the strange white-faced intruders. Now Squanto was their captive.

Weeks later, a pale Squanto wobbled down the gangplank from that lurching deck onto firm land. He and other Indians were taken to the elaborate mansion of Sir Ferdinando Gorges who had financed many expeditions to the New World. For the next three years, the Indian youths were taught English. At first Squanto found the new tongue awkward, but eventually he surprised himself: "My name is Squanto. I have come from America."

His English host was eager for the Indians to master the language. One day Gorges called them to his quarters. "Young braves, you have studied hard. Now you will be sent as guides on new explorations of America. I will miss you."

"Another ship? How can I stand that constantly rolling deck?" Squanto thought. But in time he gained his sea legs. His knowledge of the rivers and natural harbors, of the tribes and chieftains of his homeland proved very helpful to the English explorers.

For years he had longed to see his beloved bay and village again. One day, as his ship sailed along the New England coast, he spotted it. Squanto ran to the captain. "May I go ashore, sir? That's my village. That's my home!"

"Yes, young man. You have served us well. Now you can return to your people."
As soon as he heard the pebbles crunch under the longboat's hull, Squanto jumped out and ran to embrace his parents. He was home!

But his homecoming didn't last long. Within weeks Squanto spotted new sails on the horizon. No longer afraid of English ships, he proudly led a band of young braves to greet the sailors. Armed seamen seized Squanto and nineteen other Patuxet (paw-TUX-et) Indians.

Once again he was imprisoned aboard a British merchant ship. Rats scampered across the damp hold where the Indians were chained. Scarce provisions, a stormy trip, and continual seasickness took their toll. Several Indians were buried at sea. By the time they reached the Spanish slave-port of Malaga (MA-la-ga), Squanto was very weak.

One by one the surviving braves were pushed up onto the auction block to be sold. Finally it was Squanto's turn. He could barely stand. "Senores (sen-YOR-es), what will you bid for this strong Indian?" the slave trader rasped. A brown-robed monk nodded and the auctioneer grinned. "Sold to the brothers of the monastery."

A heavy pouch of coins exchanged hands and the monk led Squanto home. At last his wrists were untied. A friar brought fresh water and plenty of food, though Squanto could only eat a little.

"Estas libre (es-TAS LEE-bray)! You are free." Squanto looked into the clear eyes of this man of God. Though he knew no Spanish, he understood. Over the next few weeks he pieced it together. Their love for Jesus had prompted these Christian brothers to buy Indian slaves and teach them the Christian faith. As the monks nursed him back to health, Squanto began to love this Jesus, too.

Squanto eventually made his way to England and worked in the stables of a man named John Slaney. Slaney sympathized with Squanto's desire to return home, and he promised to put the Indian on the first vessel bound for America.

It wasn't until 1618-ten years after Squanto was first kidnapped-that a ship was found. The day finally came when he saw the familiar coastlands of home. Once more he was granted permission to go ashore.
No one greeted Squanto at the beach. He ran to his village. The bark-covered round-houses were empty. Not even a dog barked. Graves outside the village told the story. Samoset (SAM-o-set), his friend from a neighboring tribe, could bring little comfort. "A whiteman's sickness struck your people. One week, all dead. Many villages lie silent like Patuxet."

Squanto's emptiness overwhelmed him. Parents, brothers, sisters, forever gone. He wandered the forests for weeks in his grief.

We can only imagine what must have gone through Squanto's mind: Why had God allowed him to return home, against all odds, only to find his loved ones dead?

Finally he went to live with his friend Samoset.

One cold December morning, six months after he returned, Squanto watched the white sails of a ship grow on the stormy horizon. This time he hid as the men came ashore. Their clothes looked different from those worn by sailors and the fancy English officers he had seen on other ships. Broad hats and great black capes shielded them from the biting wind. He could glimpse white caps and long dresses of women aboard the ship anchored in the bay. Often he saw children playing on deck. As green leaves came to clothe barren trees, the settlers began to build houses on the very place where his village had stood. Day after day Squanto watched intently, never seen.

Samoset urged him to meet these settlers. A cry went up as the Indians strode into the settlement. Men grabbed for their muskets.

The Indians lifted their hands in greeting. "My name is Squanto. This is Samoset. We come in peace." The settlers were astounded. An Indian who spoke clear English? The Pilgrims lowered their muskets and invited the Indians to share their meager food.

The sun had set by the time Samoset got up to leave, but Squanto hesitated. Many of the settlers had already died from disease and winter's bitter cold. There was little food. Yet they weren't giving up. He thought of his old village's battle with death. "You go," Squanto told his friend in their Indian tongue, "I'm staying. This is my home, my village. These will be my new people."

Squanto turned to the leaders. "May I stay with you? I can help you. I know where you can find foods in the forest."

The white men studied the Indian carefully. Could he be trusted? Still, the struggling colony was in no position to refuse help. "Yes. Please stay."

That spring and summer Squanto proved his worth many times over. He led them to brooks alive with herring beginning their spring migration upstream. He showed the settlers how to fish with traps. He taught them where to stalk game in the forest. The children learned what berries they could pick for their families. Twenty acres of corn grew tall after Squanto showed the Pilgrims how to plant fish with the native corn seeds from a local tribe.

Once, a hostile tribe captured Squanto. "If he is killed," shouted their chief, "the English have lost their tongue." A small Pilgrim force arrived just in time, firing their muskets in the air. The terrified chief released his captive and fled. Squanto repaid the Pilgrims' favor. His bargaining skills kept neighboring tribes from attacking the small Plymouth colony.

In the fall the Pilgrims planned a feast to celebrate God's merciful help. Squanto was sent to invite friendly Chief Massasoit (MASS-a-soit) and his braves.

They gathered around tables spread with venison, roast duck and goose, turkeys, shellfish, bread, and vegetables, with woodland fruits and berries for dessert. Before they ate, the Pilgrim men removed their wide-brimmed hats and Indians stood reverently as the governor led them in solemn prayer.

"Thank You, great God, for the bounty You have supplied to us. Thank You for protecting us in hardship and meeting all our needs. . ." Towards the end of the long prayer, Squanto was startled to hear his own name. "And thank You for bringing to us the Indian Squanto, your own special instrument to save us from hunger and help us to establish our colony in this new land." Squanto stood proudly. It was a day to remember.
Two years passed. Squanto lay mortally ill, struck by a raging fever while scouting east of Plymouth. He turned over in his mind the events of his strange life. It almost seemed that a plan had led him. The first time he was captured he learned English. The second time, he was freed by gentle Christians who taught him to trust in Jesus. And though his own people had died of sickness, God had sent him to a new people who built their colony where his old village once stood.

According to the diary of Pilgrim Governor William Bradford, Squanto "became a special instrument sent of God for [our] good . . . He showed [us] how to plant [our] corn, where to take fish and to procure other commodities . . . and was also [our] pilot to bring [us] to unknown places for [our] profit, and never left [us] till he died."

Pilgrim leader William Bradford knelt at his bedside. "Pray for me, Governor," the Indian whispered. Then Squanto breathed his last. November 1622, gone from the New World, but entering a heavenly one.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Amen to that bro!

If Jesus was not real, them the story of Jesus and Christianity must be the mystery of mysteries! How could a 'fake' story lasted so long - for more than 2000 years with the huge number of books printed that there is no close second. If one could stack all the books about Jesus and Christianity and one could stack up right to the top of Mt. Everest.

So, it worth for all of us, every of us to continue to read this mysterious story!

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His plan for you is good
'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.

'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 NASB

Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.

Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.

The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

Psalm 40:4,5 NIV

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;

And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Psalm 23:5,6 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Sing, O barren.”

Isaiah 54:1

Though we have brought forth some fruit unto Christ, and have a joyful hope that we are “plants of his own right hand planting,” yet there are times when we feel very barren. Prayer is lifeless, love is cold, faith is weak, each grace in the garden of our heart languishes and droops. We are like flowers in the hot sun, requiring the refreshing shower. In such a condition what are we to do? The text is addressed to us in just such a state. “Sing, O barren, break forth and cry aloud.”

But what can I sing about? I cannot talk about the present, and even the past looks full of barrenness. Ah! I can sing of Jesus Christ. I can talk of visits which the Redeemer has aforetimes paid to me; or if not of these, I can magnify the great love wherewith he loved his people when he came from the heights of heaven for their redemption. I will go to the cross again. Come, my soul, heavy laden thou wast once, and thou didst lose thy burden there. Go to Calvary again.

Perhaps that very cross which gave thee life may give thee fruitfulness. What is my barrenness? It is the platform for his fruit-creating power. What is my desolation? It is the black setting for the sapphire of his everlasting love. I will go in poverty, I will go in helplessness, I will go in all my shame and backsliding, I will tell him that I am still his child, and in confidence in his faithful heart, even I, the barren one, will sing and cry aloud.

Sing, believer, for it will cheer thine own heart, and the hearts of other desolate ones. Sing on, for now that thou art really ashamed of being barren, thou wilt be fruitful soon; now that God makes thee loath to be without fruit he will soon cover thee with clusters. The experience of our barrenness is painful, but the Lord's visitations are delightful. A sense of our own poverty drives us to Christ, and that is where we need to be, for in him is our fruit found.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Time to Move Out of Smallville

Did you admire Superman when you were a kid? It's sort of difficult not to look
up to one of the great superheroes of all time. For over 75 years the Man of
teel has captivated and thrilled fans young and old as he fights for truth, justice,
and the American way.

But...it wasn't always that way. Before Clark Kent was Superman, he was
Smallville. At least that's what Lois Lane considered him to be. And what
started as a nickname has become a modern retelling of the Superman
mythology now in its eighth season.

Viewers and critics alike seem to love the CW show Smallville. More than
just great effects and compelling storylines draw folks into the Clark Kent
early years, though. I believe that there's just something about the idea of
a person with superpowers gaining enough confidence and concern about
the world around him to fulfill his destiny and become the hero that Metropolis
so desperately needs.

Wouldn't it be great to have superpowers? Flying, lifting cars like they were
a feather, and being bulletproof wouldn't be so bad, right?

And what would you do with your powers? As many people have stated -
"with great power comes great responsibility."

Maybe you consider yourself 'smallville.' Just an ordinary person with no
extraordinary abilities. But I have exciting news for you! God Himself has
given you a 'superpower' called 'spiritual gifts' or 'spiritual abilities.' Here's
how the Bible describes this concept:

Now, dear brothers and sisters, regarding your question about the special
abilities the Spirit gives us. I don't want you to misunderstand this. A spiritual
gift is given to each of us so we can help each other (1 Corinthians 12:1, 7).

This spiritual gift is a God-given ability that you didn't have before you
trusted in Jesus Christ as your only hope of salvation. According to the Bible,
at the moment of salvation a spiritual 'superpower' was deposited into your
life so you could help others and make a difference for eternity.

Not only that, but your spiritual gift is something God uses as a weapon
in the fight against the forces of darkness.

I'm really not kidding here, check out what Jesus Christ said:

I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it (Matthew 16:18b).

Jesus states plainly that it is His plan and purpose to mobilize an army
called the church to exchange blows with the 'powers of hell.'

So what does all this look like? Well, don't picture some freaky sci-fi scene
that looks more like a scene from Hellboy 2 than real life. Using your gift to
fight evil really does look like real life. The 'powers of hell' is the reason behind
poverty, injustice, racism, prejudice, violence, and most of all the spiritual
blindness that ultimately lands people in hell forever.

And that's where we come in with our supernatural ability. We use our gifts
to help build up the church so that the church can go out and conquer the enemy.

OK, so now you know you have this spiritual superpower, and like Superman,
you need to discover which one you have so you can fulfill your destiny!
Fortunately, you don't have to guess on this one. The Bible contains several
lists of spiritual gifts (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4) so you
can read and pray through them, then get busy in the universal battle.

The bottom line is that you have a super ability and you have a super critical
choice. There are many, many Christians who are distracted by their own
little battles - so they sit themselves out of combat and let the powers of
hell have victory in their corner of the world. Make the choice today to get
out of spiritual 'smallville' and join the fight.

In the words of Timo Cruz in the film Coach Carter:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our dark that most
frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is
nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people don't feel
insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not
just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine,
we unconsciously give other people to do the same. As we are liberated
from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. Sir, I just
wanna say thank you . . . You saved my life.

May you overcome your many fears and save many lives.

Head: What you need to know about this truth

At the moment of salvation, each Christian is given a supernatural ability
to help others and build up the church so that the powers of hell can be defeated.

Heart: What you need to feel about this truth
Feel like a superhero with superpowers, because in reality, you are.

Hands: What you need to do about this truth

For a great web site that will help you discover your gifting and fulfill your destiny, visit:
http://mintools.com/gifts-list.htm

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His Ways are Wonderful!
Grain for bread is crushed,
Indeed, he does not continue
to thresh it forever.

Because the wheel of his cart and
his horses eventually damage it,
He does not thresh it longer.

This also comes from the LORD of hosts,
Who has made His counsel wonderful and His wisdom great.

Isaiah 28:28,29 NASB

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;

and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called

Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 ESV

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and
knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments
and His ways past finding out!

"For who has known the mind of the LORD?
Or who has become His counselor?"

"Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?"

For of Him and through Him
and to Him are all things,
to whom be glory forever. Amen.

Romans 11:33-6 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.”

Numbers 6:4

Nazarites had taken, among other vows, one which debarred them from the use of wine. In order that they might not violate the obligation, they were forbidden to drink the vinegar of wine or strong liquors, and to make the rule still more clear, they were not to touch the unfermented juice of grapes, nor even to eat the fruit either fresh or dried. In order, altogether, to secure the integrity of the vow, they were not even allowed anything that had to do with the vine; they were, in fact, to avoid the appearance of evil.

Surely this is a lesson to the Lord's separated ones, teaching them to come away from sin in every form, to avoid not merely its grosser shapes, but even its spirit and similitude. Strict walking is much despised in these days, but rest assured, dear reader, it is both the safest and the happiest. He who yields a point or two to the world is in fearful peril; he who eats the grapes of Sodom will soon drink the wine of Gomorrah. A little crevice in the sea-bank in Holland lets in the sea, and the gap speedily swells till a province is drowned.

Worldly conformity, in any degree, is a snare to the soul, and makes it more and more liable to presumptuous sins. Moreover, as the Nazarite who drank grape juice could not be quite sure whether it might not have endured a degree of fermentation, and consequently could not be clear in heart that his vow was intact, so the yielding, temporizing Christian cannot wear a conscience void of offense, but must feel that the inward monitor is in doubt of him. Things doubtful we need not doubt about; they are wrong to us. Things tempting we must not dally with, but flee from them with speed. Better be sneered at as a Puritan than be despised as a hypocrite. Careful walking may involve much self-denial, but it has pleasures of its own which are more than a sufficient recompense.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
DO-IT-YOURSELF SPIRITUALITY
Increasingly, people seeking religious input draw more from the
Internet than from church history, more from their own intuition
than formal study. When you wed the American independent
streak with a postmodern skepticism toward institutions, you
set the stage for what theologians call syncretism, which is the
blending of elements from various faiths into a new form of
spirituality.

Like grazing at the buffet table at an all-you-can eat
cafeteria, syncretists adopt doctrines that seem appropriate to them
and leave behind others they regard as offensive or outdated. What
emerges is a Jesus customized for their worldview--a designer Jesus.

A 2005 survey by CBS disclosed that 36 percent of Americans combine
the teachings of more than one religion into their own faith. Thus, Los
Angeles Lakers basketball coach Phil Jackson calls himself "a Zen Christian,"
while a well-known actress once identified herself as a Christian who is "into
goddess worship."

One Presbyterian minister described how he was taken
aback when a woman introduced herself to him by saying, "I'm a Presbyterian Buddhist."
The attitude of many Americans is that they like Jesus but not the church,
which they see as exclusionary, condemning, intolerant, and intent on
strapping people into a straitjacket of rigid beliefs.

But the Jesus they
like may look very different from the historical Jesus. If the traditional
church imagines Jesus as a finely painted portrait, then syncretists
often render him as abstract art--many times to the point where he's
unrecognizable from the Jesus of ancient creeds.

For syncretists, that's okay. Many of them find their Jesus more satisfying
than the judgmental Jesus they learned about in Sunday school. Besides,
they assert, who's to say which Jesus is more "real" than the others? If history
is all based on someone's interpretation, they reason, then nobody can be
certain who Jesus was and what he taught anyway. In this age when "you
have your truth, and I have mine," the important issue becomes what "works"
for each individual life.

INTERVIEW #6: PAUL COPAN, PHD
My wife, Leslie, and I were chatting about these sorts of issues in my
office one Saturday afternoon. The title of a book, crowded among many
others on my shelves, caught her eye: True for You, But Not for Me. She
pulled it out. "Maybe you ought to talk to the person who wrote this," she
suggested as she handed the book to me.

I was familiar with the author, Paul Copan. When Leslie mentioned him,
I remembered he's among the leading experts in this area. "That's a good
idea," I said, and within days I'd made arrangements to fly to Florida and
meet with him in his offices in West Palm Beach.

Copan and I sat down at a round wooden table in the corner of his office,
flanked by floor-to-ceiling shelves teeming with books. I started with a
broad question to lay the foundation for our discussion. As I did so, I thought
of Pontius Pilate's question two millennia ago: "What is truth?"

IT'S ALL RELATIVE
"We're living in a postmodern era in which concepts like 'truth' and 'morality'
are more elastic than in the past," I said to Copan. "How do you define postmodernism?"
"First, it's helpful to know what modernism involves," Copan said. "Modernism
can be traced back to René Descartes, the 17th-century French philosopher
who is famous for his pursuit of certainty. Descartes said that one thing he
couldn't doubt was that he was thinking, so his starting point for knowledge
became, 'I think, therefore, I am.'

There was a sense in which you had to have
100 percent certainty or you couldn't know something," Copan continued.
"So postmodernism is a reaction to Descartes' quest for certainty and to the
creation of systems like rationalism, romanticism, Marxism, Nazism, and
scientism. These systems tend to oppress people who disagree with those
in power--the Jews under Nazism and the capitalists under Marxism, for
example.

French philosopher Jean-François Lyotard said that, simplifying
to the extreme, postmodernism is suspicion toward a 'metanarrative'--a
'big-picture' view of the world--that's taken to be true for all people in all
cultures and which ends up oppressing people."
I was thinking through the implications as he was talking. "The idea,
then, is that certainty leads to oppression?" I asked.

"When people are so certain that they've got the truth and believe their
system explains everything, then people who disagree with them are on
the outside. They end up in Auschwitz or the Soviet gulags," he said. "So
instead of 'meta-narratives,' postmodernism emphasizes 'mini-narratives.'
In other words, each person has his or her own viewpoint or story."
"And each viewpoint is as valid as any other," I said, more of an
observation than a question.

"That's the postmodern view, yes. There's a suspicion toward sweeping-truth
claims, which are seen as power grabbing: Whoever is in charge can say
'This is true' and then back it up by oppressing those who disagree."
"And suspicion of truth can contribute, in some cases, to relativism,"
I commented.

"Right. To the relativist, no fact is true in all times and all places. The beliefs
of a person are 'true' for him, but not necessarily for anyone else. This means
that one person's 'truth,' which really amounts to his or her opinion, can
directly conflict with another person's 'truth' and still be valid.
"To the relativist, no religion is universally or exclusively true. You can have
your kind of Jesus, and I can have mine; it doesn't matter if our views contradict
each other. There's no universal right and wrong.

Moral values are true--or
'genuine'--for some, but not for others. Since there are different expressions
of morality in the world, there's no reason to think that one viewpoint is any
more true than another."
I searched my mind for an example. "So adultery can be okay for some
people but not for others?" I asked.

"In the view of the relativist, yes," he replied. "Something is wrong only if
you feel it's wrong. Now, relativists may not approve of adultery, and they
may even have strong reservations about it. But they'll say, 'Who am I to
say someone else is wrong?'"
"What are the greatest shortcomings of relativism?" I asked.
"Relativism falls apart logically when you examine it. As a worldview, it
simply doesn't work," he said.
I was looking for specifics. "Tell me why," I said.

"For instance, relativists believe that relativism is true not just for them but
for every person. They believe that relativism applies to non-relativists
('true for you'), not just to themselves ('true for me'). The relativists find
themselves in a bind if we ask them, 'Is relativism absolutely true for
everyone?' To be consistent, the relativist must say, 'There's no reason
to take seriously the claim that every belief is as good as every other
belief, since this belief itself would be no better than any other.'"
Even so, I knew there must be reasons why postmodernism has
taken root. "Are there aspects of postmodernism that make sense
to you?" I asked.

"Despite some of its own incoherencies, yes, there are some lessons
we can learn from it," he said. "For example, we do have our limitations,
biases, and perspectives. We should admit that.
"Also, those with cultural or political power--even those with religious
power--many times do try to spin the truth to suit their own agenda.
And meta-narratives often do alienate and marginalize outsiders--although
I should note that Christianity teaches the intrinsic value of every
individual, including the disfranchised."

Taken from "The Case for the Real Jesus" by Lee Strobel and Jane
Vogel, copyright 2008 Youth Specialties/Zondervan. Used by permission.
Order the book here: http://www.youthspecialties.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=418

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Friendship with the World?
Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"?

But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

James 4:4-7 NASB

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.

1 Peter 5:5b-9 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed.”

Jeremiah 17:14

“I have seen his ways, and will heal him.”

Isaiah 57:18

It is the sole prerogative of God to remove spiritual disease. Natural disease may be instrumentally healed by men, but even then the honor is to be given to God who gives virtue unto medicine, and bestows power unto the human frame to cast off disease. As for spiritual sicknesses, these remain with the great Physician alone; he claims it as his prerogative, “I kill and I make alive, I wound and I heal;” and one of the Lord's choice titles is Jehovah-Rophi, the Lord that heals thee. “I will heal thee of thy wounds,” is a promise which could not come from the lip of man, but only from the mouth of the eternal God.

On this account the psalmist cried unto the Lord, “O Lord, heal me, for my bones are sore vexed,” and again, “Heal my soul, for I have sinned against thee.” For this, also, the godly praise the name of the Lord, saying, “He healeth all our diseases.” He who made man can restore man; he who was at first the creator of our nature can new create it. What a transcendent comfort it is that in the person of Jesus “dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily!” My soul, whatever thy disease may be, this great Physician can heal thee. If he be God, there can be no limit to his power.

Come then with the blind eye of darkened understanding, come with the limping foot of wasted energy, come with the maimed hand of weak faith, the fever of an angry temper, or the ague of shivering despondency, come just as thou art, for he who is God can certainly restore thee of thy plague. None shall restrain the healing virtue which proceeds from Jesus our Lord. Legions of devils have been made to own the power of the beloved Physician, and never once has he been baffled. All his patients have been cured in the past and shall be in the future, and thou shalt be one among them, my friend, if thou wilt but rest thyself in him this night.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whatever Happened to God the Father?

Recently an Anglican theologian asked me, “Have you noticed how few theological books have been published in the last decades on God the Father? Can you name even one?”
He was right. The Father has been lost from view—of both theology and the Church.
In the evangelical world since World War II, Jesus has been the focus of most thinking and worship. There were good reasons for this. Liberal theology in the 20th century had reduced the gospel to the fatherhood of God, the brotherhood of man, and social ethics. Salvation, liberals implied, was the reward for being a nice person.
Evangelicals were right to say, No, the gospel is about Jesus and the cross. They were partly right.

Then in the 1970s there was a new focus on the Holy Spirit. This was in response to the dryness and intellectualism of much of evangelicalism.
We needed more of the spontaneity and power of the Holy Spirit. So now, we heard from pulpits and books, we need to focus on Jesus and the Spirit. Full gospel ministry was about Word and Spirit.
They were partly right. At least two of the three Persons of the Trinity were being taught and preached and prayed.

Then there was feminism. It arose in the 1960s as a major social force, but it wasn’t until the late 70s and early 80s that it started to affect the society and church in visible ways. At first it pleaded simply for equal representation. Then some feminists started suggesting that women are better—not only spiritually but morally—and that men are naturally sexist and stupid. And fathers and husbands are naturally oppressive to both their wives and children. In fact, they have a natural tendency to abuse. The system of the male’s traditional roles in family and society was called “patriarchy,” and it came to be assumed that this was naturally abusive.

Not all theological feminists took it further, but some proceeded to argue that orthodox Christianity’s view of God the Father was abusive. The Father, they charged, abused his Son by sending him to bleed and die in order to forgive people. These feminist theologians said that even using the phrase “God the Father” is hurtful and oppressive.
Now we have the transgender movement. It wants us to believe that sexual differentiation between men and women is not only unimportant but false, and is itself oppressive.

The media have not helped. Long ago TV sitcom and movie writers decided that Father does not know best (younger readers might be shocked to learn that a popular TV show in the ancient world of the 1960s was titled “Father Knows Best”). Fathers are typically depicted as bumbling idiots and/or abusive. They are ridiculed and laughed at. As a result, men are afraid to assert themselves as men—and as fathers and husbands. They are especially afraid to suggest that they might be called to be heads of their families, no matter what “head” might mean. They have been persuaded that the idea of headship is theologically wrong and even immoral.
Let’s turn from our confused (and confusing) culture to the Real World portrayed by Scripture.

In the Bible God is presented overwhelmingly as Father. In the Old Testament, God is the Father of Israel. In the New Testament, the great revelation that Jesus brings is of the Father: “Whoever has seen me, has seen the Father” (Jn 14.9). To be saved is to become one with the Son through faith and baptism, and thus to share in Jesus’ sonship. We become the Son’s brothers, as we worship the Father by our being in the Son (Heb 2.9-11). Jesus makes the spectacular promise that by being in Him we can experience the love that the Father has for him (Jn 14.21; 17.26)!

Nearly every time Jesus prayed, it was to the Father. The only exception was his prayer of dereliction on the cross (“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). Yet his other famous prayer from the cross was to the Father: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
When Paul prays, it is almost always to the Father. Both of the great prayers of Ephesians are addressed to the Father: “I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation . . . . For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father (Eph 1.17; 3.14). He tells the Colossians, “In our prayers for you, we always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (Col 1.13).

Throughout the New Testament, whenever the Trinitarian God is referred to as simply “God,” it almost always refers to God the Father. The Father is the head of the Trinity: “The head of Christ is God [the Father]” (1 Cor 11.3). That is why the historic church has always taught that our prayer is to the Father, in the Son, by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit joins us to the Son so that we have the authority to pray the Lord’s prayer to the Father.

What does this mean for us? For one thing, it answers one of the most difficult questions today—What does it mean to be a man? To be a man is to be called to be a father—either biologically, or by adoption, or spiritually. Paul was a spiritual father to Timothy and Titus, and to all his churches. He referred to both Timothy and Titus as “my son” (1 Tim 1.2; 2 Tim 1.2; Tit 1.4) and told the Thessalonian Christians that he was their spiritual father: “We cared for you as a father cares for his own children, urging and encouraging you and pleading that you lead a life worthy of God, who calls you into his own Kingdom and glory” (1 Thess 2.11-12).

But what does it mean to be a spiritual father? Scripture suggests that we can learn what this means by watching how God is our Father. “Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5.48). If our heavenly Father forgives us, we should likewise forgive others (Matt 6.14-15). Since God is compassionate, we should be compassionate. Just as we learn about the Father by submitting to his authority over us, we also learn about his Fatherhood by submitting to the human authorities he has placed over us (Eph 6.1-3; Rom 13.1-7; 1 Pet 5.5). In other words, we cannot be good fathers unless we have learned how to be good sons.
This connection between our human and church families on the one hand, and God’s family on the other, is taught by Scripture. Paul says that “every family on heaven and earth takes its name” from the Father (Eph 3.14).

What else does God the Father teach us about being a man who is called to be a father? First, we are to take responsibility for the spiritual welfare of those God has entrusted to us. Job offered sacrifices on behalf of his children (Job 1.5). Joshua took leadership of his household so that as a household they served the Lord (Josh 24.15).

Taking spiritual responsibility involves teaching. The books of Deuteronomy and Proverbs say a father is a teacher. “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction” (Prov 1.8; Dt 6.4-9). If you’re a father and feel unfit to teach, make sure your kids get to Sunday School at an orthodox church. Ask your wife to teach if she is better at it.
Taking responsibility also means bringing our family’s needs to God in prayer. The good fathers in the gospels came to Jesus for their children’s needs (e.g., Mt 9.18-26).
Scripture teaches that the husband is the head of the home (Eph 5.22ff; Col 3.18f; 1 P 3.1-2). What does that mean? Paul says the husband is head as Christ is head of the church, for which he laid down his life. Therefore being head does not mean bossing or domineering or making all the decisions. It means serving the family and laying down our lives for them in self-denial every day. It means praying for them every day, and making sure they get to an orthodox church each week for worship and learning. It means digging into God and his Word on a continual basis. Set the example by going to adult Sunday School with your wife.

I don’t have space to elaborate on these, but being a spiritual head who imitates God as Father also means 1) providing materially (or caring for the kids so that your wife can provide materially), 2) giving good gifts (Jesus said a good father gives an egg and not a snake), 3) working with your wife to administer discipline to your children (“God disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in” Prov 3.12), 4) covering regularly with love (“How great is the love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; 1 Jn 3.1), thus being 5) an all-round agent of blessing.

In conclusion, we men are called to worship God the Father as we are joined to the Son by the Spirit. We are called to be spiritual fathers to our biological and adopted children, and to others in the church who need mentoring. We learn how to be fathers by imitating how God treats us as our heavenly Father, and this happens as we grow as disciples of Christ the Son. Growth takes place as we pray daily, read the Scriptures, and take advantage of the means of grace at church, especially the sacraments.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God Is Able!
Though the LORD is on high,
he looks upon the lowly,
but the proud he knows from afar.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against
the anger of my foes,
with your right hand you save me.

The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O LORD , endures forever-
do not abandon the works of your hands.

Psalm 138:6-8 NIV

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 3:20,21 NASB

Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him-- to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Romans 16:25,26 NIV

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

2 Corinthians 9:8 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“If we walk in the light, as he is in the light.”

John 1:7

As he is in the light! Can we ever attain to this? Shall we ever be able to walk as clearly in the light as he is whom we call “Our Father,” of whom it is written, “God is light, and in him is no darkness at all?” Certainly, this is the model which it set before us, for the Saviour himself said, “Be ye perfect, even as your Father who is in heaven is perfect;” and although we may feel that we can never rival the perfection of God, yet we are to seek after it, and never to be satisfied until we attain to it.

The youthful artist, as he grasps his early pencil, can hardly hope to equal Raphael or Michael Angelo, but still, if he did not have a noble beau ideal before his mind, he would only attain to something very mean and ordinary. But what is meant by the expression that the Christian is to walk in light as God is in the light? We conceive it to import likeness, but not degree. We are as truly in the light, we are as heartily in the light, we are as sincerely in the light, as honestly in the light, though we cannot be there in the same measure.

I cannot dwell in the sun, it is too bright a place for my residence, but I can walk in the light of the sun; and so, though I cannot attain to that perfection of purity and truth which belongs to the Lord of hosts by nature as the infinitely good, yet I can set the Lord always before me, and strive, by the help of the indwelling Spirit, after conformity to his image. That famous old commentator, John Trapp, says, “We may be in the light as God is in the light for quality, but not for equality.” We are to have the same light, and are as truly to have it and walk in it as God does, though, as for equality with God in his holiness and purity, that must be left until we cross the Jordan and enter into the perfection of the Most High. Mark that the blessings of sacred fellowship and perfect cleansing are bound up with walking in the light.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
HOW SHOULD CHRISTIANS THINK ABOUT MEDIA?

Scripture teaches that believers have always had to be discerning
when it comes to the things people create. In the Old and New
Testaments, artisans were often involved in creating objects of worship.
They built ornate temples so people could come together and worship
false gods. They also forged statues of those gods--called "idols"--so
people could worship them in their homes.

Rather than honor the true living God, the artists used their creative
skills to glorify imaginary deities. It's likely that some of the pieces
they created were awe-inspiring--perhaps even masterpieces. But
they violated the first and second commandments:
"You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for
yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth
beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them
or worship them." (Exodus 20:3-5)

One of the best-known examples of idolatrous art can be found
in Daniel 3. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon ordered the construction
of a golden statue that was 90 feet tall and 9 feet wide. Then he
summoned all of the leaders in the region to attend the unveiling
ceremony. To guarantee a positive reaction to his creation, Nebby
decreed that when he gave the signal, everyone had to fall down
and worship the statue. Those who didn't, he warned, would be thrown
into a furnace and burned to death.

Among the invited guests were three Israelites: Shadrach, Meshach,
and Abednego. They worshipped the one true living God, which
meant they couldn't bow down to an idol. So when the signal was
given, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stood their ground. And
true to his word, the king had the men thrown into the furnace. You
probably know how the story goes from there: God protected them
from the flames, and King Neb was so impressed by their Divine
rescue that he declared the God of Israel to be the only God.

But that's not the point I want to make here. You see, Shadrach,
Meshach, and Abednego could have just skipped the whole dedication
ceremony. They could have refused to have anything to do with the
creative work of idol worshippers. Their fate would have been the
same either way.

However, Shadrach and his friends chose to attend the ceremony
because they were active members of the government. They probably
admired the artistic aspects of the statue and the craftsmanship that
went into making it. Yet while the three men chose not to honor the
creative work with their lives (by bowing down to it), they didn't ignore
it or boycott it, either.

What's more, earlier in the book of Daniel we learn that Shadrach,
Meshach, and Abednego had been schooled in the Babylonian
language and literature (Daniel 1:3-4). Because the young men
excelled in those areas, the king placed them in positions of influence
and authority where they were able to help others learn about
God and come to know him.

That should also be our goal in learning about our own culture.
Movies, television, and music (along with art and literature) reveal
the heart and soul of who we are as people. When we understand
the culture we live in, we can apply that knowledge as we introduce
others to God. The more we know about what people are really
connecting with, the better prepared we'll be to introduce God
in a context they can relate to.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God will supply all your needs
And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Philippians 4:19,20 NASB

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written:

"He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever."

Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

2 Corinthians 9:8-11 NIV

And as ye go, preach, saying,

"The kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers,
raise the dead, cast out devils:
freely ye have received, freely give.

Matthew 10:7,8 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Trust in him at all times.”

Psalm 62:8

Faith is as much the rule of temporal as of spiritual life; we ought to have faith in God for our earthly affairs as well as for our heavenly business. It is only as we learn to trust in God for the supply of all our daily need that we shall live above the world. We are not to be idle, that would show we did not trust in God, who worketh hitherto, but in the devil, who is the father of idleness. We are not to be imprudent or rash; that were to trust chance, and not the living God, who is a God of economy and order. Acting in all prudence and uprightness, we are to rely simply and entirely upon the Lord at all times.

Let me commend to you a life of trust in God in temporal things. Trusting in God, you will not be compelled to mourn because you have used sinful means to grow rich. Serve God with integrity, and if you achieve no success, at least no sin will lie upon your conscience. Trusting God, you will not be guilty of self-contradiction. He who trusts in craft, sails this way to-day, and that way the next, like a vessel tossed about by the fickle wind; but he that trusteth in the Lord is like a vessel propelled by steam, she cuts through the waves, defies the wind, and makes one bright silvery straightforward track to her destined haven.

Be you a man with living principles within; never bow to the varying customs of worldly wisdom. Walk in your path of integrity with steadfast steps, and show that you are invincibly strong in the strength which confidence in God alone can confer. Thus you will be delivered from anxious care, you will not be troubled with evil tidings, your heart will be fixed, trusting in the Lord. How pleasant to float along the stream of providence! There is no more blessed way of living than a life of dependence upon a covenant-keeping God. We have no care, for he careth for us; we have no troubles, because we cast our burdens upon the Lord.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Understanding the Enemy's schemes

MAIN SCRIPTURES: "Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the
Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking

for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him, and be strong
in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over
the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are." (1 Peter 5:8-9, NLT)

"He was a murderer from the beginning and has always hated the truth.
There is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character;
for he is a liar and the father of lies." (John 8:44, NLT)

OTHER SCRIPTURES: Psalm 143:3-4; John 10:10; Acts 10:38; 2 Corinthians
2:11; 2 Corinthians 11:14; 1 John 3:8; Revelation 12:17

WHAT JESUS MIGHT SAY TO YOU:

Satan will press you...he knows exactly which buttons to push. He'll do
anything to keep you from all that is worthy of your attention. He will attack
your heart, the core of who you are. If anything is good or beautiful or
life-giving, he'll try to take it from you. Why? Because he's afraid of you.
He knows exactly who I have created you to be. You're a threat to him!

Please understand how Satan works. His schemes may seem complex
and twisted, but they're actually quite childish and simple. He is just
waving his arms around, shouting, "Look over here!" to distract you,
scare you, and get you to take your eyes off me. He'll do anything to
keep you from the unfathomable love and great adventure I have for you.

He knows your weaknesses and insecurities. Does this sound familiar?
"I can't do that because..." or "I'm terrible at this..." or "They're trying to
hurt my feelings..." or "I'm not good enough," etc.? Do NOT listen or
agree! That's Satan! He strikes at the very core of your emotions, your
insecurities, your identity.

Never respond by giving him your time or attention. Recognize the lies.
Turn your eyes back to me. Remember who you are, who I made you
to be. Don't let him fool you. I will help you fight! We have already won
the war. We can take him.

Your Defender, Jesus

SUMMARY CHALLENGE: Keep your eyes open...don't let Satan
get the best of you.