• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Crucified with Christ
Look on the Crucified One...

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Galatians 2:20 NASB

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Galatians 6:14 KJV

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law.

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

Galatians 5:22-24 NIV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.”

Psalm 35:3

What does this sweet prayer teach me? It shall be my evening's petition; but first let it yield me an instructive meditation. The text informs me first of all that David had his doubts; for why should he pray, “Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation,” if he were not sometimes exercised with doubts and fears? Let me, then, be of good cheer, for I am not the only saint who has to complain of weakness of faith. If David doubted, I need not conclude that I am no Christian because I have doubts.

The text reminds me that David was not content while he had doubts and fears, but he repaired at once to the mercy-seat to pray for assurance; for he valued it as much fine gold. I too must labour after an abiding sense of my acceptance in the Beloved, and must have no joy when his love is not shed abroad in my soul. When my Bridegroom is gone from me, my soul must and will fast. I learn also that David knew where to obtain full assurance. He went to his God in prayer, crying, “Say unto my soul I am thy salvation.” I must be much alone with God if I would have a clear sense of Jesus’ love. Let my prayers cease, and my eye of faith will grow dim. Much in prayer, much in heaven; slow in prayer, slow in progress.

I notice that David would not be satisfied unless his assurance had a divine source. “Say unto my soul.” Lord, do thou say it! Nothing short of a divine testimony in the soul will ever content the true Christian. Moreover, David could not rest unless his assurance had a vivid personality about it. “Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.” Lord, if thou shouldst say this to all the saints, it were nothing, unless thou shouldst say it to me. Lord, I have sinned; I deserve not thy smile; I scarcely dare to ask it; but oh! say to my soul, even to my soul, “I am thy salvation.” Let me have a present, personal, infallible, indisputable sense that I am thine, and that thou art mine.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Four Great Benefits Of Reading Your Bible Every Morning

It’s important to start your day off on the right foot by reading the Word of God, and to see why it’s so important, here are four blessings of reading your Bible every morning.
Rejoice in Word
I start my day off by reading the Word of God…every day, whether I feel like it or not…and the times when I don’t feel like it, is the very time I need it the most! I’m reading a chronological Bible right now and I read some out of the Old Testament and then some out of the New Testament every morning. Amazingly, the subject matter is sometimes related to one another, but for me, the biggest thing is it helps me live with the end in mind. I am living today, not for this world, but the next. I know I’m not the only believer who is living with the end in mind, and like me, they have eternity in their heart. That makes our perspective a bit different from those who don’t know Christ, so reading the Bible in the context of eternity helps me better comprehend what God is telling me in His Word. That’s why I need that daily bread or manna from heaven. Once a person is brought to repentance and they put their trust in Christ, suddenly the sovereignty of God makes a lot more sense of things. I don’t mean perfect sense, because we cannot figure God out, but this I know. When I get up, I know that “This is the day that the LORD has made [so] let us rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).

Meditation
Meditating on the Word of God is not mentioned much in biblical teaching, and I think that’s too bad because meditating on the Word of God is what the psalmist did. He prayed: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14). Right now, especially during this time of the year, I can agree with Solomon in prayer that “the winter is past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land” (Song of Solomon 2:11-12). As I sit here drinking my coffee and reading this verse, it makes sense to meditate on the Word of God, and on the creation of God. In the quiet of the early morning, I can pray, “Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” (Psalm 73:25-26). Even if all I had was Christ, I believe I would have all I need in Christ.
Mind of Christ
Jesus sought to always glorify the Father by the works that He did, and that is our calling too (Psalm 115:1). We are to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, and forever starts right now for those who trust in Christ. A mind that is a brand new creation of God (2 Cor 5:17) will seek the good of others and not self, which is why Jesus came (Mark 10:45), so I strive to have that mind of Christ, though I fall miserably short. Even so, the Apostle Paul admonished us to “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men” (Phil 2:5-7). When we confess sin (Joshua 7:19), we glorify God. When we praise God, we glorify God (Psalm 50:23). When we attribute anything we do to God, we glorify God (1 Cor 4:7), and I believe the psalmist would agree, as he wrote, “I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol” (Psalm 86:12-13).

Peace of Mind
One of my favorite verses, although written expressly to the nation of Israel, is Zephaniah 3:17 which says, “The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” No, it wasn’t written to us, but those things are written for us, and I think God would feel no differently about His own children. What parent wouldn’t repeat such a phrase? To “quiet you by his love” gives me a mental image of a mother tenderly comforting her child as they’re crying. Love has a way of stilling our hearts, and not just in infancy. Isaiah the Prophet wrote, “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you” (26:3).

This is not much different than the psalmist decree that “I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure” (Psalm 16:8-9), however, no one can have the peace of God until they are first at peace with God (Rom 5:1), but for Christ followers, there is peace of mind in knowing that “The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary. Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught” (Isaiah 50:4).

Conclusion
There are several other “anxiety killers” in the Word of God, like Philippians 4:6-7 where Paul commands, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

How must the Israelites have felt after reading such precious promises like those which Isaiah wrote, including in Isaiah 43:2 which says, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you,” and since we know God does not change, we can rejoice in song and prayer, saying, “The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (Lam 3:22-23). Of course, I end my day by reading again out of the Old Testament and the New Testament, so in this way, I can pillow my head at night, knowing that this was the day that the Lord had made, so I will “rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24c), and thank God that He “gives to his beloved sleep”(Psalm127:2c).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“It is better to trust in the Lord, than to put confidence in man.”

Psalm 118:8

Doubtless the reader has been tried with the temptation to rely upon the things which are seen, instead of resting alone upon the invisible God. Christians often look to man for help and counsel, and mar the noble simplicity of their reliance upon their God. Does this evening's portion meet the eye of a child of God anxious about temporals, then would we reason with him awhile. You trust in Jesus, and only in Jesus, for your salvation, then why are you troubled? “Because of my great care.” Is it not written, “Cast thy burden upon the Lord”? “Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication make known your wants unto God.”

Cannot you trust God for temporals? “Ah! I wish I could.” If you cannot trust God for temporals, how dare you trust him for spirituals? Can you trust him for your soul's redemption, and not rely upon him for a few lesser mercies? Is not God enough for thy need, or is his all-sufficiency too narrow for thy wants? Dost thou want another eye beside that of him who sees every secret thing? Is his heart faint? Is his arm weary? If so, seek another God; but if he be infinite, omnipotent, faithful, true, and all-wise, why gaddest thou abroad so much to seek another confidence?

Why dost thou rake the earth to find another foundation, when this is strong enough to bear all the weight which thou canst ever build thereon? Christian, mix not only thy wine with water, do not alloy thy gold of faith with the dross of human confidence. Wait thou only upon God, and let thine expectation be from him. Covet not Jonah's gourd, but rest in Jonah's God. Let the sandy foundations of terrestrial trust be the choice of fools, but do thou, like one who foresees the storm, build for thyself an abiding place upon the Rock of Ages.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Persevering in Prayer
If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Matthew 21:21,22 KJV

"Because he has loved Me,
therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him securely on high,
because he has known My name.

He will call upon Me,
and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.

With a long life I will satisfy him
And let him see My salvation."

Psalm 91:14-16 NASB

The righteous cry out,
and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all.

Psalm 34:17-19 NIV

Offer unto God thanksgiving;
and pay thy vows unto the most High:

And call upon me in the day of trouble:
I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

Psalm 50:14,15 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Oh, Sweet PEA!

How about a kiss? Or a semi-sweet morsel? Or a malted milk ball? Or a Special Dark? We're talking chocolate here. One of the basic food groups if I ever saw one. Essential eating. Mandatory munching. Tongue-tickling treats.

Pardon me if you're allergic to the conquistador of candies, but if you're an M&M muncher like I am, you'll enjoy knowing researchers have discovered a scientific reason chocolate makes you feel great. It's not just the taste. Apparently, chocolate contains a tiny bit of phenylethylamine (PEA). PEA is a natural substance in your body that is released by your brain during moments of emotional euphoria.

So, it seems to me, eating chocolate can cause the same happiness as say, watching your team win the NCAA tournament! Only in smaller doses.

It's important to say that scientists aren't convinced the sweet PEA of chocolate has the same reaction as the natural PEA in your brain. (No! I did not just call you a pea-brain.) But those of us who know and love chocolate are sure there's something really good inside those calories.

Okay, let's get serious for a moment. I just went to great lengths to justify my love for chocolate. Even though the facts above are true, there is in reality no correlation between eating it and making your brain happier. Indeed, chocolate can cause negative effects because of the caffeine.

I rationalize about sin the same way I do about chocolate. So do you. We go to great lengths to justify an activity that's really not good for us. Each time we talk ourselves into doing those things, we threaten our relationship with God--who hates sin.

The next time we think about an activity that's questionable, let's seriously ask, "What good is it? What biblical principles are at work? Will this activity get me closer to God or put distance between me and him?"

Don't sugarcoat the answers!

"You say, 'I am allowed to do anything'--but not everything is helpful. You say, 'I am allowed to do anything'--but not everything is beneficial." (1 Corinthians 10:23).

Here are some questions to ask yourself:
~ Am I a justifier? Do I like to do questionable stuff and then say, "There's nothing wrong with that"?
~ What specific activities do I often justify?
~ Do I need to ask the "What good is it?" question more often?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Seek Humility...
He who ignores discipline despises himself,
but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom,
and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 15:32,33 NIV

Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before stumbling.
It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly
Than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Proverbs 16:18,19 NASB

A man's pride shall bring him low:
but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Proverbs 29:23 KJV

What do you think the Scriptures mean when they say that the Holy Spirit, whom God has placed within us, jealously longs for us to be faithful? He gives us more and more strength to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say,

"God sets Himself against the proud,
but He shows favor to the humble."

So humble yourselves before God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.

Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, you hypocrites. Let there be tears for the wrong things you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy.

When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on him, He will lift you up and give you honor.

James 4:5-10 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“She called his name Benoni (son of sorrow), but his father called him Benjamin (son of my right hand).”

Genesis 35:18

To every matter there is a bright as well as a dark side. Rachel was overwhelmed with the sorrow of her own travail and death; Jacob, though weeping the mother's loss, could see the mercy of the child's birth. It is well for us if, while the flesh mourns over trials, our faith triumphs in divine faithfulness. Samson's lion yielded honey, and so will our adversities, if rightly considered. The stormy sea feeds multitudes with its fishes; the wild wood blooms with beauteous florets; the stormy wind sweeps away the pestilence, and the biting frost loosens the soil.

Dark clouds distil bright drops, and black earth grows gay flowers. A vein of good is to be found in every mine of evil. Sad hearts have peculiar skill in discovering the most disadvantageous point of view from which to gaze upon a trial; if there were only one slough in the world, they would soon be up to their necks in it, and if there were only one lion in the desert they would hear it roar.

About us all there is a tinge of this wretched folly, and we are apt, at times, like Jacob, to cry, “All these things are against me.” Faith's way of walking is to cast all care upon the Lord, and then to anticipate good results from the worst calamities. Like Gideon's men, she does not fret over the broken pitcher, but rejoices that the lamp blazes forth the more. Out of the rough oyster-shell of difficulty she extracts the rare pearl of honour, and from the deep ocean-caves of distress she uplifts the priceless coral of experience. When her flood of prosperity ebbs, she finds treasures hid in the sands; and when her sun of delight goes down, she turns her telescope of hope to the starry promises of heaven. When death itself appears, faith points to the light of resurrection beyond the grave, thus making our dying Benoni to be our living Benjamin.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bible Verses For Those In Prison

Today, thousands of prisoners are turning to Christ by different ministries and Bible studies, and many prisoners are being set free while behind bars, so here are some great Bible verses for those who are in prison to study that might be helpful to them.

Remembering
Our church has a prison ministry where we write letters, bring meals to some, do visitation, and provide biblical articles and Bible studies for each individual prisoner that is custom written just for them, but there is no real power in what we do because the real power is in the Word of God, so we use the Word of God and pray for the Spirit of God to create more children of God, and all for the glory of God. Mostly, prisoners are out of sight and out of mind, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t hurting, and their families aren’t hurting. We don’t only minister to the prisoners, but to their families as well, so by all means, we must “Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body” (Heb 13:3).

Clearly, the Lord doesn’t forget them (Matt 25:36), because we know that “the LORD hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners” (Psalm 69:33). The way Jesus sees it is when “I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me” (Matt 25:36). Why? It’s because, “as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me” (Matt 25:40). Our mission is closely associated with Jesus’ mission while He was here on earth, and that was “To open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness” (Isaiah 42:7).

Set Free
When we share the gospel of Jesus Christ, we are not depending on our own strength or convincing arguments but rather, “is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek” (Rom 1:16), so even though “the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing…to us who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Cor 1:18), so it is the Lord “Who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets the prisoners free” (Psalm 146:7), not us, and many are being freed indeed…and in many cases, they are freer than those who are outside of prison walls. Some believers around the world suffer from being imprisoned for their faith and not actually breaking the law, but for those who serve with us, we know that they “had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding on” (Heb 10:34).

No matter how dark or hopeless they might feel, we can say for sure that “For those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” (Rom 8:28). Just as Joseph was unfairly thrown into prison, many are being imprisoned around the world for no more reason that trusting in Christ, but like Joseph, they realize that even though it was “meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today” (Gen 50:20).

Called
Not many people have been called into a prison ministry, comparatively speaking, and our church’s prison ministry was not what we had planned…it just happened as God opened door after door to the prisons so we can walk in and preach the gospel. That allows us to fulfill what Isaiah the Prophet wrote about what Christ’s mission would be, where “the Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound” (Isaiah 61:1). Jesus quoted Isaiah when He said, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed” (Luke 1:18). When we receive letters from these prisoners, it’s as if we “Let the groans of the prisoners come before [us, and we pray] according to your great power, preserve those doomed to die” (Psalm 79:11).

Conclusion
Even though we minister to prisoners, we also teach Romans 13, which among other things, says to “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment” (Rom 13:1-2). It’s not as if these guards and law enforcement authorities were placed there by accident, but rather they are “God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience” (Rom 13:4-5). Most of us can only imagine what it’s like to live behind prison walls, so if you know someone who is, why not send these Bible verses for those in prison to study…and give them hope, as only God’s Word can do.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

1 Timothy 4:7,8 NIV

Be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

Titus 1:7-9 NASB

Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that He might present it to Himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Ephesians 5:25-27 KJV

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 3:12-17 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Abide in me.”

John 15:4

Communion with Christ is a certain cure for every ill. Whether it be the wormwood of woe, or the cloying surfeit of earthly delight, close fellowship with the Lord Jesus will take bitterness from the one, and satiety from the other. Live near to Jesus, Christian, and it is a matter of secondary importance whether thou livest on the mountain of honour or in the valley of humiliation. Living near to Jesus, thou art covered with the wings of God, and underneath thee are the everlasting arms. Let nothing keep thee from that hallowed intercourse, which is the choice privilege of a soul wedded to the well-beloved.

Be not content with an interview now and then, but seek always to retain his company, for only in his presence hast thou either comfort or safety. Jesus should not be unto us a friend who calls upon us now and then, but one with whom we walk evermore. Thou hast a difficult road before thee: see, O traveller to heaven, that thou go not without thy guide. Thou hast to pass through the fiery furnace; enter it not unless, like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, thou hast the Son of God to be thy companion. Thou hast to storm the Jericho of thine own corruptions: attempt not the warfare until, like Joshua, thou hast seen the Captain of the Lord's host, with his sword drawn in his hand. Thou art to meet the Esau of thy many temptations: meet him not until at Jabbok's brook thou hast laid hold upon the angel, and prevailed.

In every case, in every condition, thou wilt need Jesus; but most of all, when the iron gates of death shall open to thee. Keep thou close to thy soul's Husband, lean thy head upon his bosom, ask to be refreshed with the spiced wine of his pomegranate, and thou shalt be found of him at the last, without spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing. Seeing thou hast lived with him, and lived in him here, thou shalt abide with him for ever.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Winter Storm Watch-Witnessing

I'm on Interstate 40 just west of Knoxville, Tennesse. It's late, and the snow is coming down so hard I can barely see the taillights of my friend's Jeep. I'm supposed to be following him to Gatlinburg, a popular mountain resort, but I'm having trouble keeping up.

In less than 24 hours I'll be standing in front of 6,000 winter-retreating teenagers. I'm here to co-host a glitzy New Year's Eve celebration with big names like Josh McDowell and dc Talk. (That is, if I make it.)

Suddenly, my rental car hits a patch of ice and veers right, dangerously close to a dropoff. I twist the wheel into the slide, then turn left -- correcting the spinout and avoiding disaster. But just as my heart rate returns to normal, I discover that I'm separated from my friend.

He's probably pulling into Gatlinburg right now, I tell myself. I've had enough of this ice-road craziness. Time to call it a night.

I spot a sign for a roadside diner and decide to make a detour. A quick meal, directions to a motel, a good night's sleep -- my plan is set. Little do I realize God has another purpose for my unexpected pit stop.

"You're smart for pulling in," a young waiter assures me as he slides a coffee across my table. "You'd never make it tonight -- the roads are bad."

I nod and stir cream into my hot drink. The waiter pauses, then sits down at my booth.

"Can I ask you a question?" he says with a serious tone.

"Uh - sure," I respond.

"I overhead you talking to another waiter," he says. "You mentioned that you're speaking at the youth event in Gatlinburg. It's a big deal every New Year's. It's always advertised on the radio."

I nod my head again, taking a sip of coffee.

"It's a Christian event," he continues, "so I assume you're a Christian."

"Yes, I am."

"Why?" he asks, looking me in the eyes. "I mean, I'm not religious -- and I don't plan to be. But I've got to know something. How has being a Christian changed your life?"

Slightly shocked, slightly overjoyed, I nearly spit coffee on the table. I swallow hard, then clear my throat.

"Well, uh -- do you have all night?!" I say. The young man smiles and folds his arms. I take another sip of coffee and begin.

"First of all, I'm not religious, either. I have a relationship. A relationship with Jesus Christ. He's changed my life in lots of ways: He's given me hope, purpose -- eternity. He's forgiven me for all the stupid things I've ever done or thought. He's shown me what love -- real love -- is all about..."

As I talk, and as this young waiter listens, I forget about the snow piling up outside - and tomorrow's big youth event. The only thing that seems to matter right now is this moment - and this person.

I talk, he listens - it's as simple as that. I don't use big words or debate lofty doctrines or worry about impressing this guy. I merely tell my story and let him glimpse my heart.

About 30 cups of coffee later, the waiter points to his watch. "It's getting late, and the weather looks pretty bad," he says. "I'll let you go so you can find a motel for the night. Thanks for talking with me. I've got a lot to think about."

I smile and shake his hand. "You asked some good questions. Don't stop doing that."

As I head out the door and trudge through the snow, hoping I said all the right things, I experience a kind of ice-road awakening. Lord, I get it. It's not just about "winning" someone's salvation. It's about genuinely loving my neighbors. It's about keeping my heart on fire for You, so You can work through me. It's especially about living in a way that points others to eternity.

I believe God put me on that highway and in that snowstorm - and eventually in that restaurant - just so I could share my faith with that young man. And I believe He orchestrated that whole scene so I could learn three essential keys to being His witness:

1. Have compassion for others - instead of treating nonbelievers as a project. "Jesus replied: ' "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself" ' " (Matthew 22:37-39).

2. Be prepared to speak up - instead of keeping quiet. "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have" (1 Peter 3:15).

3. Allow the Holy Spirit to touch the world through you - instead of blending into the crowd. "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15).

And to be effective witnesses Christians need to KNOW what we believe and why by plugging into the Holy Bible daily. (We can't share with others what we don't know.)
BELIEVE what we know by trusting Jesus Christ daily. (We can't convince others of something we doubt.)

LIVE what we know and believe by consistently "practicing what we preach." (We can't say one thing, then live another way.)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Amen - So be it!
He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Revelation 22:20,21 KJV

For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea.

For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

2 Corinthians 1:19,20 KJV

The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot."

Revelation 3:14,15

Get Hot for The AMEN! Amen!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Man ... is of few days, and full of trouble.”

Job 14:1

It may be of great service to us, before we fall asleep, to remember this mournful fact, for it may lead us to set loose by earthly things. There is nothing very pleasant in the recollection that we are not above the shafts of adversity, but it may humble us and prevent our boasting like the Psalmist in our morning's portion. “My mountain standeth firm: I shall never be moved.” It may stay us from taking too deep root in this soil from which we are so soon to be transplanted into the heavenly garden.

Let us recollect the frail tenure upon which we hold our temporal mercies. If we would remember that all the trees of earth are marked for the woodman's axe, we should not be so ready to build our nests in them. We should love, but we should love with the love which expects death, and which reckons upon separations. Our dear relations are but loaned to us, and the hour when we must return them to the lender's hand may be even at the door. The like is certainly true of our worldly goods. Do not riches take to themselves wings and fly away? Our health is equally precarious. Frail flowers of the field, we must not reckon upon blooming for ever. There is a time appointed for weakness and sickness, when we shall have to glorify God by suffering, and not by earnest activity.

There is no single point in which we can hope to escape from the sharp arrows of affliction; out of our few days there is not one secure from sorrow. Man's life is a cask full of bitter wine; he who looks for joy in it had better seek for honey in an ocean of brine. Beloved reader, set not your affections upon things of earth: but seek those things which are above, for here the moth devoureth, and the thief breaketh through, but there all joys are perpetual and eternal. The path of trouble is the way home. Lord, make this thought a pillow for many a weary head!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Here's a brief reflection on the song "I Believe" by Third Day

"Give me something that I can believe and then I'll
Share it with the world for everyone to see."

Give me something to believe in. I think that is the cry of every heart. We want heroes to believe in. We want governments we can believe in. We want friends and family we can believe in. But what does it mean to believe in something? It means to trust it.

What do you trust? The news is filled with stories of people who have betrayed the trust others have placed in them. Government officials, managers of corporations, spouses, parents, children all have failed this trust. Has anyone ever failed the trust you placed in him?

I have a friend who really cares for me. He has proven that time and time again, but he has also failed me. There have been times when he has broken promises or just forgotten that he made them.

I have been left standing somewhere waiting for him or have had to complete a project on my own or even had to go to someone and break my promise because I was counting on his help to fulfill it.

But as many times as he has failed me, I am certain I have failed him just as often. I am sure I have forgotten promises and missed appointments. I am sure I have disappointed him time and time again.

But we are friends in the Lord. And our ultimate trust is not in each other, but in the One who died for us. We have each received his forgiveness and because we are forgiven, we can forgive each other.

The bottom line is this: when you have something to trust in that will never fail you, you are not destroyed by the failures of others or yourself.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

If you are having trouble forgiving yourself or others today, ask yourself where your trust lies. If we truly learn to trust in the Lord with all our hearts, then the failures of others will not destroy us. Meditate on this verse today. Ask yourself if all your trust is in the Lord. Get to the heart of what you believe and you will find the forgiveness that you need.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who Is the Lord?
And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Exodus 3:13,14 KJV

I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

Isaiah 45:5-7 NIV

But my name is honored by people of other nations from morning till night. All around the world they offer sweet incense and pure offerings in honor of my name. For my name is great among the nations," says the LORD Almighty.

For I am a great king," says the LORD Almighty, "and my name is feared among the nations!

Malachi 1:11, 14b NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Thou shalt be called, Sought out.”

Isaiah 62:12

The surpassing grace of God is seen very clearly in that we were not only sought, but sought out. Men seek for a thing which is lost upon the floor of the house, but in such a case there is only seeking, not seeking out. The loss is more perplexing and the search more persevering when a thing is sought out. We were mingled with the mire: we were as when some precious piece of gold falls into the sewer, and men gather out and carefully inspect a mass of abominable filth, and continue to stir and rake, and search among the heap until the treasure is found.

Or, to use another figure, we were lost in a labyrinth; we wandered hither and thither, and when mercy came after us with the gospel, it did not find us at the first coming, it had to search for us and seek us out; for we as lost sheep were so desperately lost, and had wandered into such a strange country, that it did not seem possible that even the Good Shepherd should track our devious roamings. Glory be to unconquerable grace, we were sought out! No gloom could hide us, no filthiness could conceal us, we were found and brought home. Glory be to infinite love, God the Holy Spirit restored us!

The lives of some of God's people, if they could be written would fill us with holy astonishment. Strange and marvellous are the ways which God used in their case to find his own. Blessed be his name, he never relinquishes the search until the chosen are sought out effectually. They are not a people sought to-day and cast away to-morrow. Almightiness and wisdom combined will make no failures, they shall be called, “Sought out!” That any should be sought out is matchless grace, but that we should be sought out is grace beyond degree! We can find no reason for it but God's own sovereign love, and can only lift up our heart in wonder, and praise the Lord that this night we wear the name of “Sought out.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Is Wisdom? A Biblical Definition of Wisdom

The Bible teaches us that wisdom comes from above but it begins with the fear of the Lord, so here is the biblical definition of wisdom in the hopes that you might gain it.
True Wisdom
When I was young, I thought I knew so much more than the rest of the world, and certainly my parents and grandparents, but I found out that the wisdom of mankind is foolishness to God, but a godly wisdom is above all wisdom of this world. The Lord’s Word plainly tells us that “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction” (Prov 1:7). There is a starting point in finding godly wisdom, and it’s the fear of the Lord.

For the Christ follower, it isn’t a fear of being struck dead or the fear of hell, but a reverential holy fear, respect, and having a high regard for God and His Word. Where there is a deep reverence for God and His Word, you’ll find wisdom, but if you still lack wisdom after all this, then do what James tells us: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him” (James 1:5). The fact that I asked for godly wisdom when faced with some very difficult decisions resulted in most of them working out well for me. I can’t imagine what would’ve been different if I had not asked!

Godly Wisdom
The Bible shows what I have learned from experience, and that is “Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days. “With God are wisdom and might; he has counsel and understanding” (Job 12:12-13). For me, wisdom came from making some very foolish decisions, however, the more mistakes I made, the more I learned. In my Christian life, I didn’t understand that godly “wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere” (James 3:17).

I was still seeking the wisdom of this world and godly wisdom, but worldly wisdom “is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic” (James 3:15). Godly wisdom seems foolish to the world, when in reality, the wisdom of man is foolishness to God. The Apostle Paul put it perfectly, writing that “the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men” (1 Cor 1:25), so “Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold”(Prov 3:13-14).

Wise Behavior
Paul tells us in Ephesians 5:15-17 to “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is,” since “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice” (Prov 12:15). Even being a senior pastor, I need correction, and I get it…from my mentor.

He’s a disabled pastor who is now retired, but this man has a lot of experience, and the wisdom to go with it. He recommends that we “Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future” (Prov 19:20). One example is, he knows when to speak, what to speak, or when not to speak at all. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing than to say something you’ll regret, as “Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent” (Prov 17:27-28). I would rather be silent on some things than speak and reveal my ignorance publically.

When two machinists were talking before Bible study, I could only understand parts of what they were saying, so for me to try and speak to them intelligently about their work would be like a seven year old trying to tell them how to do their job. I knew when to speak…and when to listen, and I’ve discovered that I only learn things when I’m listening, not when I’m talking.

Conclusion
There is great wisdom in keeping God’s law. Of course, striving to obey God or keeping the law won’t save us, and we can’t keep the law perfectly anyway, but just as I occasionally drift over 65 mph on the interstate, I generally do not speed. I like to obey the speed limit. The consequences of breaking it are just not worth it. Besides, none but Christ could ever keep the law with perfection. He the perfection we need to stand before God. The Apostle Paul writes that it was “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Cor 5:21).

Even though we are declared righteous before God in Christ, we should still live in obedience to God’s commands. I don’t mean perfection, because that’s not possible for us this side of the veil, but we should “Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people” (Deut 4:6). I hope that you’ll share these with someone who is also seeking to find the wisdom of God so that they can understand what it is, and how to receive it, so seek the wisdom of God which comes from above to the children of God and for the glory of God.

Truly, the wisest decision you’ll ever make is to put your trust in Christ. To reject Christ is the most foolish thing a person could ever do because it is their only way to the Father (John 6:44). There is absolutely no other way at all (Acts 4:12). He is “the” truth, “the” life, and “the way,” not one of many ways. There is only one way across the Royal Gorge. That sound narrow-minded to you, but at least it is a way, and a way is certainly better than no way.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Keeps Us and Commissions Us
To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy -- to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Jude 24,25 NIV

"It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

Acts 1:7,8 NASB

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Isaiah 55:8,9 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“To whom belongest thou?”

1 Samuel 30:13

No neutralities can exist in religion. We are either ranked under the banner of Prince Immanuel, to serve and fight his battles, or we are vassals of the black prince, Satan. “To whom belongest thou?”

Reader, let me assist you in your response. Have you been “born again”? If you have, you belong to Christ, but without the new birth you cannot be his. In whom do you trust? For those who believe in Jesus are the sons of God. Whose work are you doing? You are sure to serve your master, for he whom you serve is thereby owned to be your lord. What company do you keep? If you belong to Jesus, you will fraternize with those who wear the livery of the cross. “Birds of a feather flock together.” What is your conversation? Is it heavenly or is it earthly? What have you learned of your Master? — for servants learn much from their masters to whom they are apprenticed. If you have served your time with Jesus, it will be said of you, as it was of Peter and John, “They took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.”

We press the question, “To whom belongest thou?” Answer honestly before you give sleep to your eyes. If you are not Christ's you are in a hard service — Run away from your cruel master! Enter into the service of the Lord of Love, and you shall enjoy a life of blessedness. If you are Christ's let me advise you to do four things. You belong to Jesus — obey him; let his word be your law; let his wish be your will. You belong to the Beloved, then love him; let your heart embrace him; let your whole soul be filled with him. You belong to the Son of God, then trust him; rest nowhere but on him. You belong to the King of kings, then be decided for him. Thus, without your being branded upon the brow, all will know to whom you belong.