• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.”

John 14:16

Great Father revealed himself to believers of old before the coming of his Son, and was known to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as the God Almighty. Then Jesus came, and the ever-blessed Son in his own proper person, was the delight of his people's eyes. At the time of the Redeemer's ascension, the Holy Spirit became the head of the present dispensation, and his power was gloriously manifested in and after Pentecost. He remains at this hour the present Immanuel — God with us, dwelling in and with his people, quickening, guiding, and ruling in their midst.

Is his presence recognized as it ought to be? We cannot control his working; he is most sovereign in all his operations, but are we sufficiently anxious to obtain his help, or sufficiently watchful lest we provoke him to withdraw his aid? Without him we can do nothing, but by his almighty energy the most extraordinary results can be produced: everything depends upon his manifesting or concealing his power. Do we always look up to him both for our inner life and our outward service with the respectful dependence which is fitting? Do we not too often run before his call and act independently of his aid?

Let us humble ourselves this evening for past neglects, and now entreat the heavenly dew to rest upon us, the sacred oil to anoint us, the celestial flame to burn within us. The Holy Ghost is no temporary gift, he abides with the saints. We have but to seek him aright, and he will be found of us. He is jealous, but he is pitiful; if he leaves in anger, he returns in mercy. Condescending and tender, he does not weary of us, but awaits to be gracious still.

Sin has been hammering my heart
Unto a hardness, void of love,
Let supplying grace to cross his art
Drop from above.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
3 Biblical Strategies To Help You Resist Sin

How can you fight off lust in a world where there’s so much sexually explicit images?
Turn
Jesus said “that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matt 5:48), so how can we possibly do that in a world where there’s sexually explicit images just about everywhere you look? It’s in public in the way people dress, on the Internet, TV, magazines, newspapers, and just about any place human eyes can see, so how can we keep our hearts from lusting after the images we see in the world? Job gave me an idea how to deal with the lusting eye, and for him, it was turn your heard, or don’t look. When we look at something that might make us lust, the best thing to do is to quickly look the other way. For me, it was Job’s covenantal eyes, saying, “I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin” (Job 31:1)?

Solomon’s wisdom tells us, “Do not desire her beauty in your heart, and do not let her capture you with her eyelashes; for the price of a prostitute is only a loaf of bread, but a married woman hunts down a precious life” (Prov 6:25-26), so if we don’t want to desire such beauty to the point of lusting, we should choose to look away. It is just not worth the grief it will bring in ruined or destroyed relationships if we allow ourselves to act on that lust. What enters the eye gate enters the heart. Jesus said, “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness” (Matt 6:22-23)! Just as what goes into the mouth, enters the body, whatever enters they eye gate, enters the heart…and often, finds a home.

Run
God’s will is clearly defined in Scripture, where the Apostle Paul writes, “by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Rom 12:1-2), so “this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor” (1 Thess 4:3-4). Sometimes that abstaining comes in the form of leaving the place or situation where you’re tempted. That means we should “flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart” (2 Tim 2:22). Several times the Bible says our response to avoiding sin is to run or to flee.

For example, Paul writes that we must “Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body” (1 Cor 6:18). Don’t think you can’t be tempted, because “each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death” (James 1:14-15). This is partly why the Apostle Peter wrote, “I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul” (1 Pet 2:11), and sometimes why it’s best to run when you’re tempted.

Read
After a believer has put their trust in Christ, they have just begun the battle…the battle against the flesh. That’s something the Apostle Paul was clearly aware of, writing, “For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing” (Rom 7:19). Even after conversion, we all still sin (1 John 1:8, 10), so we must “Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry” (Col 3:5), but what can help us do that, besides run from temptation and turn our eyes away?

How can you turn away from or run from your imagination? The psalmist gives us sage advice by writing, “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11). In effect, the psalmist is saying he memorized Scripture so that he might not sin against God. The seemingly insignificant word “that” in this verse, is the hinge on which the door of the Word of God turns and slams the door on temptation shut.

Hiding God’s Word in our hearts gives us ammo for times when we need to resist temptation. For Job, it was turning his eyes away when he looked at a woman. For others, it was running as fast as they can, but the Word of God has power (Isaiah 55:11; Rom 1:16; 1 Cor 1:18), and we need God’s power, which are found in His Spirit and in His Word. That’s because, “all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world” (1 John 2:16).

Conclusion
The best way to avoid lusting and temptation, which can carry us away into sin, is to immediately look away from anything that tempts you; remove yourself from a tempting situation; and hide God’s Word in your heart, because God’s Word has power where we do not (Rom 1:16; 1 Cor 1:18), and we need to tap that power in order to fight the temptation to lust, which could lead to a sin of sexual immorality.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Faithful He Remains!
In thy steadfast love spare my life,
that I may keep the testimonies of thy mouth.

For ever, O LORD, thy word
is firmly fixed in the heavens.

Thy faithfulness endures to all generations;
thou hast established the earth,
and it stands fast.

Psalm 119:88-90 RSV

Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will keep you strong right up to the end, and he will keep you free from all blame on the great day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns.

God will surely do this for you, for he always does just what he says, and he is the one who invited you into this wonderful friendship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 1:7-9 NLT

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“There is therefore now no condemnation.”

Romans 8:1

Come, my soul, think thou of this. Believing in Jesus, thou art actually and effectually cleared from guilt; thou art led out of thy prison. Thou art no more in fetters as a bond-slave; thou art delivered now from the bondage of the law; thou art freed from sin, and canst walk at large as a freeman, thy Saviour's blood has procured thy full discharge. Thou hast a right now to approach thy Father's throne.

No flames of vengeance are there to scare thee now; no fiery sword; justice cannot smite the innocent. Thy disabilities are taken away: thou wast once unable to see thy Father's face: thou canst see it now. Thou couldst not speak with him: but now thou hast access with boldness. Once there was a fear of hell upon thee; but thou hast no fear of it now, for how can there be punishment for the guiltless?

He who believeth is not condemned, and cannot be punished. And more than all, the privileges thou mightst have enjoyed, if thou hadst never sinned, are thine now that thou art justified. All the blessings which thou wouldst have had if thou hadst kept the law, and more, are thine, because Christ has kept it for thee. All the love and the acceptance which perfect obedience could have obtained of God, belong to thee, because Christ was perfectly obedient on thy behalf, and hath imputed all his merits to thy account, that thou mightst be exceeding rich through him, who for thy sake became exceeding poor. Oh! how great the debt of love and gratitude thou owest to thy Saviour!

“A debtor to mercy alone,
Of covenant mercy I sing;
Nor fear with thy righteousness on,
My person and offerings to bring:
The terrors of law and of God,
With me can have nothing to do;
My Saviour's obedience and blood
Hide all my transgressions from view.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Scripture’s Sexual Ethic will Outlast Progressive Ideals

In terms of progressive ideals, what we see is not a new or improved culture, but rather, an anti-culture. As a whole, the presuppositions of the movement are grounded upon that which is anti, or against, traditional, biblical norms. In this, the appeal to affirming sexuality as a fluid construct is wholly dependent upon one’s personal desires and completely dismisses the ideals set beforehand. It is anti-history, anti-religious, and more clearly, anti-Christian.

What makes this noteworthy is that the positive claims to moral relativism are not epistemologically rooted; they are squarely placed upon subjective grounds. This ultimately provides the fodder for its own undoing – as the criteria for progress is set within a victim narrative. If you rank higher within this caste system, you have the necessary currency to set the barometer determining truth. If you do not rank high within the caste system, but play the cards well enough to validate the victim class, you too will have currency to exchange.

The point I am driving toward here is that the locus of truth itself is bound within the framework of personal experience and feelings, and empathy to said experiences and feelings. Thus, moral truth is likewise bound within this framework whilst those deemed unfit are excluded from the table. This plays in heavily with the debate over sexual ethics in the modern age simply because the determinate for the morality of same-sex attraction, transgenderism, and sexual identity is bound within the constituents.

In other words – most converts to these progressive sexual ideals are not won on the grounds of intellectual rigor. To be sure, that is often the feigned argument, but in reality, it is an eclectic assortment of things appealing to the emotions. This is especially true of Progressive Christians, as there is absolutely no evidence of biblical, historical, or traditional fidelity found in their argument.

Rather than deal with the text at hand, the best example of “exegesis” one finds on the progressive sexual ethic is a plain denial of the text. There is no positive assertion being made, a victim-class is levied, and emotions are elicited rather than an appeal to the text. The reason for this is simple: there is, unequivocally, no biblical case for affirming the progressive sexual ethic.

A Personal Example
Self-dubbed Progressive Christians have long abandoned an understanding of God’s supreme holiness and justice, which plays out in virtually every sphere of ethics within their reach. Be it the church affirming homosexuality, the gay clergy blessing abortion clinics, or any other variation wherein they call evil “good” and good “evil” – it is set upon a foundation denying Scripture’s clear teaching on these things.

When someone comes along to say the historic church has unanimously agreed such teachings are clear, another rises up to sufficiently muddy the waters by appealing to a sort of pseudo-intellectualism. If you read this delightful little piece, you will see it is textbook Bulverism coupled with an appeal to authority. More clearly, it is a person touting his own credentials whilst simultaneously defaming the person he argues against, which happens to be me in this case, in order to discredit the whole argument.

I bring this up for the simple reason that I earnestly believe Progressives deal with such disagreements in terms of volume rather than logic. The man simply couldn’t resist in running a smear campaign – all because he was duty-bound, but duty-bound to what? Ultimately, I sense the duty he felt bound to was, in essence, seeking to shame me in front of as many people as his sphere of influence would allow.
Now, this is no new thing in the days of globalization; this is precisely how others have lost their jobs due to inappropriate tweets. Yet it remains important because the goal in this case wasn’t to defend one’s academic discipline (academics rarely resort to such gimmicks). It was the desire to lobby a mob, complete with pitchforks and torches, to decry the village idiot. Only a backwoods-inbred would think in such terms – and he was sure to make this point several times.

Slippery Slope, Meet the Ball Rolling Downhill
In many recent cases, progressive ideals are driven by the need to censor conservative voices on the issues of human sexuality and reproduction. One of the most familiar tactics in this is that unless you’ve attained status as a victim, you do not have the currency to enter into the discussion. Yet secondarily, it often involves another highly subjective aspect of personal experience: it doesn’t affect you, therefore, shut up. Progressive is a rather ironic moniker then, given the movement itself will invariably go down in infamy for being more totalitarian-driven than anything.

You don’t think human sexuality being up for negotiation is a good thing to be celebrated? Keep your mouth shut and toe the line; you aren’t affected by it at all. Well, except when you’re the CEO of a large company, a fire chief, or when your spouse
decides they would be suited a member of the opposite sex. Interestingly, it seems even having the audacity to say people should be confronted by contrary views within the university setting is enough to be subjugated to a lengthy tribunal.

Perhaps you believe abortion is fundamentally wicked and children have a right to live? Again, keep your mouth shut and toe the line; you don’t have the plumbing to make a statement like that. If there is a means where someone actually does agree that abortion is a problem, the solution lay in keeping abortion legal and teaching comprehensive sexual education. Right. So, are we speaking toward the comprehensive sex-ed. that encourages young girls to practice sodomy, how cuckolding can be beneficial for some couples, or just that incest can be portrayed in a positive light?

While it is certainly not a monolithic movement, as no movement is, the more interesting conundrum is found within those claiming Christ. For those professing Christians who affirm a progressive sexual ethic, they too are not actually making a positive case, but a negative one. The interesting point in this is that the line of acceptability is ever-shifting. The base of this argument? Place truth within the victim-class, appeal to emotion, jettison those particular “clobber-verses” to their historical context, and villainize the traditional crowd by highlighting their non-victimhood.

These are literally the cases conservative institutions were making against a liberal sexual and procreative ethic less than ten years previously. While not every prediction has come to fruition, there is little evidence to the contrary to suggest the concerns were entirely invalid, as many a progressive insisted then and still does now. There is, however, a growing acceptance of the “fringe” deviancies that progressives swore would never come to be.

Progressive Ideals are Already Dead
Despite the continued onslaught against Christian ideals in the realm of sexuality and procreation – the progressive movement will go belly up. It will flop for the same reason every movement counter to Christianity has flopped beforehand; Christ is Victor and His truth reigns supreme. Truth itself testifies against the lie on a continual basis, shedding light upon the contradictory nature of logic bound within such a set of ideals.
While we might be tempted to look upon anecdotal evidence, there is evidence enough within the Scriptures to demonstrate the nature of what is to come. There is perhaps no better place to go in this discussion than Romans 1:16 and following. It is incredibly interesting that for Paul, being unashamed of the gospel of Christ is what sets up his discussion on the wrath of God being revealed.

The gospel is the power of God for salvation to all those who believe, and it reveals the righteousness of God. Out of this focus, the wrath of God is now presently being revealed against the godlessness and wickedness of men, who suppress the truth by these same qualities. This goes hand in hand with what I was saying above; submitting to the truth is not the desire here, but rather, the thing they wish to conquer and subjugate.

Yet God has made His character and being readily apparent to all mankind so that they are without excuse. Rather than acknowledge God, embrace the truth, and give Him the thanks He is due, their hearts and minds became things of futility. To the one who has access to proper teaching, they are bound in even greater folly, for they are in greater measure, without excuse.

The greater indictment is that man exchanged the immortal God for the mortal things of this earth and because of this, they were given over to a depraved mind. In this depraved state, they not only know such things are worthy of death according to God’s decree, but actively sanction others doing such things. In other words, though progressivism is built around the notion of love – the love shown is no love at all.

Conclusion
The key here for us to see is that God’s wrath is very real, and the demonstration of that wrath is in the revelation of mankind’s debauchery. These agendas, though often moving at an alarming pace, only hasten to remind us that the Lord’s judgment is upon this world and His final judgment is drawing near. The more power, influence, and “progress” made – the more God’s wrath is being made self-evident upon the earth so that all men are without excuse. Deny as they might, all men are worshippers, and all men will be judged for the object of their affections.

People are often embarrassed over the wrath of God, yet the Scriptures paint this picture without any qualms. God is a vengeful God and His retribution will be fierce for the unrepentant. The book of Revelation describes eschatological judgment taking place on an epic scale – wherein millions of people die at the blink of an eye. God will “tread the winepress of His wrath so that the blood reaches the horse’s bridle (reigns)”.

Thus, the reason I say progressive ideals are already dead and that the biblical sexual ethic will outlast them is simple and clear. They will not be a part of the new heavens and the new earth. Yet even on a more immediate timetable, they are not really in power today. Surely, such tools are used to blind the eyes of unbelievers, yet the powers and principalities behind them have already been defeated at the cross. These enemies of the gospel shall undoubtedly continue to pull many people away (and willingly so), yet Christ continues to pull His own out of the thick of it, for His purposes and glory.

All we must do is continue to be a light in the darkness, preaching the fullness of the gospel. That is, we must preach the wrath of God as well as the salvation of God through Christ crucified. We must preach the fullness of sin, yet the fullness of the Savior who removes the stain of sin. We must likewise preach the penalty for sin, which is death, yet also the reward of the faithful, which is the resurrection from the dead. In all of this, we must emphatically preach Christ and His truth as it applies to all spheres of life – for there is not one thing in all of existence over which He has not declared jurisdiction.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fear the Lord and Live!
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, "Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere (fear) me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children."

Deuteronomy 4:9,10 NIV

Thus shall ye do in the fear of the LORD, faithfully, and with a perfect heart. And what cause soever shall come to you of your brethren that dwell in your cities, between blood and blood, between law and commandment, statutes and judgments, ye shall even warn them that they trespass not against the LORD, and so wrath come upon you, and upon your brethren: this do, and ye shall not trespass.

2 Chronicles 19:8,9 KJV

The precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;

The commandment of the LORD is pure,
enlightening the eyes;

The fear of the LORD is clean,
enduring for ever;

The ordinances of the LORD are true,
and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.

Psalm 19:8-10 RSV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“She was healed immediately.”

Luke 8:47

One of the most touching and teaching of the Saviour's miracles is before us to-night. The woman was very ignorant. She imagined that virtue came out of Christ by a law of necessity, without his knowledge or direct will. Moreover, she was a stranger to the generosity of Jesus’ character, or she would not have gone behind to steal the cure which he was so ready to bestow. Misery should always place itself right in the face of mercy.

Had she known the love of Jesus’ heart, she would have said, “I have but to put myself where he can see me — his omniscience will teach him my case, and his love at once will work my cure.” We admire her faith, but we marvel at her ignorance. After she had obtained the cure, she rejoiced with trembling: glad was she that the divine virtue had wrought a marvel in her; but she feared lest Christ should retract the blessing, and put a negative upon the grant of his grace: little did she comprehend the fulness of his love!

We have not so clear a view of him as we could wish; we know not the heights and depths of his love; but we know of a surety that he is too good to withdraw from a trembling soul the gift which it has been able to obtain. But here is the marvel of it: little as was her knowledge, her faith, because it was real faith, saved her, and saved her at once. There was no tedious delay — faith's miracle was instantaneous.

If we have faith as a grain of mustard seed, salvation is our present and eternal possession. If in the list of the Lord's children we are written as the feeblest of the family, yet, being heirs through faith, no power, human or devilish, can eject us from salvation. If we dare not lean our heads upon his bosom with John, yet if we can venture in the press behind him, and touch the hem of his garment, we are made whole. Courage, timid one! thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace. “Being justified by faith, we have peace with God.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Five Crowns In The Bible

The Bible speaks about casting our crowns before the Lord, but what are these crowns and who gets them?

Crowns for Believers
The Bible mentions crowns that believers will receive at Christ’s return, but what are the crowns mentioned in the Bible, and what crowns are given to each believer, and for what reason? Of course, we are not seeking the kingdom for crowns, but for His righteousness, so we do not seek the crown but the King of the kingdom, and pursue His righteousness first and foremost (Matt 6:33), so His righteousness must come first. It is not their own righteousness, or self-righteousness, because God will not accept that, and besides, none are righteous outside of Christ.

The righteousness of Christ is given to those who have trusted in Christ. The Apostle Paul says it was “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Cor 5:21), so unless you have Jesus’ very own righteousness, you cannot even be in the presence of God after death, or at Christ’s return, however, the invitation to eternal life is open to all. The free gift of eternal life (Eph 2:8-9) comes with Jesus’ own reassuring words: “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this” (John 11:25-26)? Everyone must ask themselves that question. Do you believe? Your answer determines your eternal state.

The Imperishable Crown
Most scholars believe there is a crown called, “the imperishable crown,” and one that the Apostle Paul mentioned to the church at Corinth, asking, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable” (1 Cor 9:24-25). Paul and most of his Corinth audience understood what a perishable crown was, having seen or heard of the crown given to athletes in the ancient Olympic Games.

These were perishable wreaths that would only last a day or so before they withered away, but the crown for those who have trusted in Christ will be imperishable. Today, everything in this universe is subject to decay, and someday will perish. The Apostle Peter wrote, “Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells” (1 Pet 3:11-13). The new heavens and the new earth come just prior to the coming of the New Jerusalem out of heaven (Rev 21:1-3). Like the kingdom itself, the imperishable crown is eternal.

The Crown of Rejoicing
The crown of rejoicing is another crown that is given to believers, and the reference is 1 Thessalonians 2:19 where the Apostle Paul wrote, “For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?” Later, in the Book of Philippians, Paul also writes that we are to “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice” (Phil 4:4), and why shouldn’t we? We’ve been redeemed, and so, “Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble” (Psalm 107:2). Undoubtedly, the “twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads” (Rev 4:4) would be rejoicing at the appearance of the Lord of Glory as they fell at His feet to worship Him (Rev 4:9-12).

The Crown of Righteousness
The so-called crown of righteousness is taken from Paul’s second epistle to Timothy, where Paul wrote at the time of his impending death, “Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing” (2 Tim 4:8). If you are one of those who long for his appearing, then this crown may be given to you. Not all believers will be filled with joy at His appearing. The Apostle John wrote “that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming. If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him” (1 John 2:28-29), so some indeed may shrink back in shame at His appearance in shame for dereliction of duty (Matt 25:35-36; 28:19-20; James 1:27). Whoever shrinks back from him at His appearing, obviously doesn’t love His appearing in the same way that the Apostle Paul described it in 2 Timothy 4:8.

“Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing” (2 Tim 4:8).

The Crown of Glory
Today, it’s possible today for believers in Christ to have the Spirt of glory abide on them. Let me explain. The Apostle Peter wrote, “If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you” (1 Pet 4:14), and who wouldn’t want that!? In the very next chapter, Peter writes, “And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory” (1 Pet 5:4). Even though this was written to the elders, there is good reason to believe that those who serve in the church will also receive this crown, possibly even those who serve in the nursery who have the next generation under their care.

In fact, the faithful ones who most people don’t’ notice, may outstrip us all at the judgment seat of Christ, but all can receive the Spirit of glory today. Most of us will never face severe persecution like our brothers and sisters around the world do, but that suffering does generally make a person long for Jesus’ appearing even more, however, the better we have it here, the less likely we might be to be living with eager expectation at the revelation of the Son of God.

The Crown of Life
Some believe the crown of life is for those who have been martyred for their faith, but this may not always be the case. The reference to the crown of life comes partly from the Book of Revelation, where the Apostle John wrote, “Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.” This crown is for martyrs, however, it may also be for those who have lost family, friends, jobs, home, and just about everything else in life, for their faith.

That still happens around the world, but most of us have never experienced that kind of persecution. If you’ve been publically ridiculed for your faith, been called just about every name you can think of, and the things people say or write about you are intentionally cruel, you may not be a martyr, but you are being tested. James also mentions the crown of life in James 1:12, writing, “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.”

Conclusion
At the end of this age, “the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, ‘Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created’”(Rev 4:10-11).

They may cast their crowns before the Lord because all credit is given to Him (John 15:5), but they will have to pick them up again, because someday it will be said of the children of God, God has “made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen” (Rev 1:16). Others will have authority over five cities, some ten (or more) (Luke 19:17-19), but “those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever” (Dan 12:3), and “many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt” (Dan 12:2).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Living in The Fear of the Lord
Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened; and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it grew in numbers, living in the fear of the Lord.

Acts 9:31 NIV

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Romans 12:1,2 NIV

(Renew your mind - Memorize Scripture!)

Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.

1 Peter 2:1-3 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Whereby they have made thee glad.”

Psalm 45:8

And who are thus privileged to make the Saviour glad? His church—his people. But is it possible? He makes us glad, but how can we make him glad? By our love. Ah! we think it so cold, so faint; and so, indeed, we must sorrowfully confess it to be, but it is very sweet to Christ. Hear his own eulogy of that love in the golden Canticle: “How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine!” See, loving heart, how he delights in you. When you lean your head on his bosom, you not only receive, but you give him joy; when you gaze with love upon his all-glorious face, you not only obtain comfort, but impart delight.

Our praise, too, gives him joy — not the song of the lips alone, but the melody of the heart's deep gratitude. Our gifts, too, are very pleasant to him; he loves to see us lay our time, our talents, our substance upon the altar, not for the value of what we give, but for the sake of the motive from which the gift springs. To him the lowly offerings of his saints are more acceptable than the thousands of gold and silver. Holiness is like frankincense and myrrh to him.

Forgive your enemy, and you make Christ glad; distribute of your substance to the poor, and he rejoices; be the means of saving souls, and you give him to see of the travail of his soul; proclaim his gospel, and you are a sweet savour unto him; go among the ignorant and lift up the cross, and you have given him honour. It is in your power even now to break the alabaster box, and pour the precious oil of joy upon his head, as did the woman of old, whose memorial is to this day set forth wherever the gospel is preached. Will you be backward then? Will you not perfume your beloved Lord with the myrrh and aloes, and cassia, of your heart's praise? Yes, ye ivory palaces, ye shall hear the songs of the saints!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Acceptance
==========

I believe life is about acceptance. We can sit back and moan
about the raw deal life has given us or we can accept the cards
we have been dealt and make the most of them.

So many times people have asked me how I cope, and truthfully I
have days when I wonder myself amongst the chaos and confusion
that life in our household involves.

I have three children. One is autistic; he is beautiful, smart,
and intuitive in a way that is unique, frustrating, difficult to
understand and I love him.

Another child is undergoing testing for a rare endocrine
disorder which may mean that he will be steroid-dependent to
stay alive. It has been a long time since I have been able to
see him glowing with the health and vitality that we took for
granted six months ago.

I could reject the cards that God has given me but to do that
would be to deny myself the part of me that I am most proud of,
my children. They may have problems that others see as too big
or too difficult, but they are mine. I see their beauty and
their love not just for their family but the greater world
around them. The way they look at the world, the beauty they
see and the gifts that they bring to my life daily make it very
easy to accept the cards dealt to me.

For anyone out there who is going through difficulty and having
trouble seeing the beauty that is there in all our lives, please
have hope and find some time even if for just a few minutes to
count the multitude of blessings that God has given us in so
many ways.

The issues that are concerning you may not go away; but by
accepting them into your life as a part of it and remembering
the multitude of blessings we receive in other ways helps you to
grow stronger.

It is so much easier to accept the blessings but strength and
peace comes from accepting both the blessings and the challenges
we are given.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Life Pleasing to God
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

Romans 14:17-19 NIV

Honor widows who are real widows. If a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn their religious duty to their own family and make some return to their parents; for this is acceptable in the sight of God.

1 Timothy 5:3-5 RSV

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Philippians 1:9-11 KJV

You may be saying, "What terrible people you have been talking about!" But you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you do these very same things.

And we know that God, in his justice, will punish anyone who does such things. Do you think that God will judge and condemn others for doing them and not judge you when you do them, too? Don't you realize how kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Or don't you care? Can't you see how kind he has been in giving you time to turn from your sin?

Romans 2:1-4 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Thy good Spirit.”

Nehemiah 9:20

Common, too common is the sin of forgetting the Holy Spirit. This is folly and ingratitude. He deserves well at our hands, for he is good, supremely good. As God, he is good essentially. He shares in the threefold ascription of Holy, holy, holy, which ascends to the Triune Jehovah. Unmixed purity and truth, and grace is he. He is good benevolently, tenderly bearing with our waywardness, striving with our rebellious wills; quickening us from our death in sin, and then training us for the skies as a loving nurse fosters her child. How generous, forgiving, and tender is this patient Spirit of God.

He is good operatively. All his works are good in the most eminent degree: he suggests good thoughts, prompts good actions, reveals good truths, applies good promises, assists in good attainments, and leads to good results. There is no spiritual good in all the world of which he is not the author and sustainer, and heaven itself will owe the perfect character of its redeemed inhabitants to his work. He is good officially; whether as Comforter, Instructor, Guide, Sanctifier, Quickener, or Intercessor, he fulfils his office well, and each work is fraught with the highest good to the church of God.

They who yield to his influences become good, they who obey his impulses do good, they who live under his power receive good. Let us then act towards so good a person according to the dictates of gratitude. Let us revere his person, and adore him as God over all, blessed for ever; let us own his power, and our need of him by waiting upon him in all our holy enterprises; let us hourly seek his aid, and never grieve him; and let us speak to his praise whenever occasion occurs. The church will never prosper until more reverently it believes in the Holy Ghost. He is so good and kind, that it is sad indeed that he should be grieved by slights and negligences.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In Love With the Darkness

Based on John 3:1-21

I can hear crickets jabbering in the shadows among the trees. Nearby in a clearing a campfire flickers. Jesus and his buddies are talking around the fire. I see them seated there in the dance of darkness and light. Someone laughs. Someone in the shadows coughs.

I've chosen to come at night when no one else can see me. No one else will even know I was here.

But I had to come. I had to meet him for myself. You see, I've heard him speak. I've seen his miracles. He's different. I know that much. There's something mysterious about him, yet something familiar, too--something that's both comforting and deeply unsettling.

I step on a twig, and it snaps underfoot. They all look up, silent now. I emerge from the shadows, and I'm sure they recognize by my clothes that I'm someone important, a teacher of the Jews. A couple of them smile and nod, obviously impressed that I would show up here to talk with their friend.

But before any of them can say a word, I clear my throat and address Jesus. "Rabbi," I say, bowing out of respect. "We know you are a teacher sent from God, for no one could possibly do the wonders you do unless God were with him."

I pause and wait for him to acknowledge the compliment.

But he doesn't say anything. He just studies my face. I can see the flicker of shadow and light on his features as the campfire leaps and twists a few feet away.

I expect him to say something like, "Gee, thanks. I appreciate that. So kind of you to mention it. Just trying to be faithful there. Just using the gifts and talents God has given me." But he doesn't, and that surprises me.

Instead he grunts, "So you think God's kingdom is proven by outward signs? Well, no one can even see God's kingdom unless he's born again."

Born again? What?

I try to wrap my mind around his words. Is he trying to tell me I've never even seen God's kingdom? Does he know who he's talking to?!

Everyone knows Jesus likes to use shocking images in his teaching, images of thieves and seeds and pigs and pearls, but . . . being born again? What's that supposed to mean?

My gaze drifts from Jesus to his disciples and then back to him. Finally, I say, "But how can that be, Jesus? How can someone be born again? You can't reenter the womb!" My words are alive with logic. I'm chuckling a little, but he isn't. Crickets chirp in the background.

"No one can enter God's kingdom unless he's born of water and the Spirit," answers Jesus, pushing a stick into the fire to reposition the coals. In the new light of the fire he must notice the bewildered look on my face because he motions for me to have a seat. I scrunch down on one of the logs they've pulled up beside the campfire. I see his wild features in the blazing light.

There's nothing tame about this man.

"We all know that humans have human babies. Well, God's Spirit produces spiritual babies." A cloud of sparks drifts skyward. "Your problem is that you think it's all explainable. But it's not supposed to be reasonable. The process is as mysterious as the wind. You can't even understand the direction of the wind--its origin or its destination. How can you expect to nail down spiritual birth? How are you gonna fit that into your neat little theological box?"

My heart is beating faster now. His words have an edge to them. He seems impatient with me, like he's talking to a child who hasn't been listening in school.

This guy doesn't beat around the bush, does he?

I watch the sparks rise into the darkness. They ride invisible currents of air, curling up into the night. Wind carries them along toward the stars?the wind of the fire, the breath of the flames. I watch them dance upward into the darkness and then disappear into the unknown. I'm trying to understand all that he's telling me. I really am. But I can't seem to make sense of it.

Finally, I shake my head. "I'm . . . I'm sorry. I don't understand."

And then Jesus loses his cool. He rises and steps toward me, filling the space between me and the fire. "You teach others, don't you? You teach the word of God . . . yet you don't understand it yourself?!"

I blink, unsure what to say. He sighs and shakes his head.

Then he speaks of purpose--the purpose of his life, the purpose of our lives, and the importance of faith at the center of it all. Over and over, in half a dozen ways, he tells me my problem isn't in my head, but in my heart. It isn't facts I need, he says, but faith. Not proof, but belief.

And he speaks to me of fear--the fear of being revealed. He tells me most people hide and are afraid to come into the light for fear that their evil deeds will be exposed.

Light and darkness. . . secrets and revelation . . . truth and lies . . . faith and fear . . . all of his words sail through my head.

He's saying I'm in love with the darkness! The words sting me. That's what he's saying. That's what he means!

The other men are silent. And then the truth hits me like a fist in the gut.

He's right, Nicodemus, you are afraid of the truth, you are in love with the darkness . . . Why else would you have come at night?

I swallow hard. How does he know? How can he see so deeply into my soul? How can he know my heart so well when we've only just met?

"But," he says at last, "whoever lives by the truth, Nicodemus, comes into the light."

His words don't sound like doctrine at all--more like an invitation.

Then Jesus is done. The fire crackles. There's nothing more to say. I nod to him. He nods back.

I look at the men sitting there, listening to all of this, studying me. I wonder how many of them have believed . . . have been reborn . . . have seen the kingdom . . . have stepped into the light.

Then I leave the fire and walk into the shadows again. And I wonder if I'm going into the shadows, or through them? Into or through . . .

His words snap at my heels as I stumble back home through the raven-black night.

Whoever lives by the truth comes into the light.

I notice stars flickering high above me like sparks from a thousand fires that finally found their way home through the night.

Am I walking into the night or through it to the other side?

"Through it," I say to myself. "I'm walking through it."

And I take a step forward.

Toward home.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pleasing God - Serving Others
Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.

Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

Philippians 2:1-4 NASB

Slaves, be obedient to those who are your earthly masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as to Christ; not in the way of eye-service, as men-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to men.

Ephesians 6:5-7 RSV

When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?

The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Matthew 25:39-40 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Whereas the Lord was there.”

Ezekiel 35:10

Edom's princes saw the whole country left desolate, and counted upon its easy conquest; but there was one great difficulty in their way — quite unknown to them — “The Lord was there”; and in his presence lay the special security of the chosen land. Whatever may be the machinations and devices of the enemies of God's people, there is still the same effectual barrier to thwart their design. The saints are God's heritage, and he is in the midst of them, and will protect his own.

What comfort this assurance yields us in our troubles and spiritual conflicts! We are constantly opposed, and yet perpetually preserved! How often Satan shoots his arrows against our faith, but our faith defies the power of hell's fiery darts; they are not only turned aside, but they are quenched upon its shield, for “the Lord is there.” Our good works are the subjects of Satan's attacks. A saint never yet had a virtue or a grace which was not the target for hellish bullets: whether it was hope bright and sparkling, or love warm and fervent, or patience all-enduring, or zeal flaming like coals of fire, the old enemy of everything that is good has tried to destroy it. The only reason why anything virtuous or lovely survives in us is this, “the Lord is there.”

If the Lord be with us through life, we need not fear for our dying confidence; for when we come to die, we shall find that “the Lord is there”; where the billows are most tempestuous, and the water is most chill, we shall feel the bottom, and know that it is good: our feet shall stand upon the Rock of Ages when time is passing away. Beloved, from the first of a Christian's life to the last, the only reason why he does not perish is because “the Lord is there.” When the God of everlasting love shall change and leave his elect to perish, then may the Church of God be destroyed; but not till then, because it is written, Jehovah Shammah , “The Lord is there.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Making Ourselves Available

A man was going up to bed, when his wife told him he'd left the
light on in the garden shed -- she could see it from the bedroom
window. But, he said that he hadn't been in the shed that day. He
looked himself, and there were people in the shed, stealing things.
He rang the police, but they told him that no one was in his area,
so no one was available to catch the thieves.

He said OK, hung up, counted to 30 and rang the police again.
"Hello. I just rang you a few seconds ago because there were people
in my shed? Well, you don't have to worry about them now, I've just
shot them all."

Within five minutes there were half a dozen police cars in the
area, an Armed Response unit, the works. Of course, they caught the
burglars red-handed. One of the policeman said to this man: "I
thought you said you'd shot them!"

He replied, "I thought you said there was no one available!"

The same thing happens frequently in my life. Someone asks me to do
something and I respond, "I don't have the time." Often, what I mean by
that is, "I don't regard this as important enough to do right now." The
truth is, we find (or make) the time to do whatever we regard to be
important.

Someone has said you can tell a person's priorities
by looking at his or her checkbook. There is a great deal of validity
to that. We are willing to spend money on the things we think are
important. But, perhaps a greater indicator of our priorities would be
our planning books -- a record of how our time is spent and our
intentions on how we plan to spend it.

Choices must be made by all of us and our use of time. We don't have
time to do everything, so we must choose those things which are of
greatest importance to us. Let's just be careful that our choices are
those things which are also most important to God. The greatest men and
women in the Bible were not those with the greatest resources or
talents. Instead, they were men and women who made themselves available
to be used by God whenever He called. May God never hear us say,
"Sorry, but I'm not available!"

Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise,
making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will
is. (Eph. 5:15-16, NIV)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be Thankful!
I will give thanks to the LORD
because of his righteousness
and will sing praise to the
name of the LORD Most High.

Psalm 7:17 NIV

And when ye will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving unto the LORD, offer it at your own will.

Leviticus 22:29 KJV

For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:4,5 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Father, I have sinned.”

Luke 15:18

It is quite certain that those whom Christ has washed in his precious blood need not make a confession of sin, as culprits or criminals, before God the Judge, for Christ has for ever taken away all their sins in a legal sense, so that they no longer stand where they can be condemned, but are once for all accepted in the Beloved; but having become children, and offending as children, ought they not every day to go before their heavenly Father and confess their sin, and acknowledge their iniquity in that character? Nature teaches that it is the duty of erring children to make a confession to their earthly father, and the grace of God in the heart teaches us that we, as Christians, owe the same duty to our heavenly Father.

We daily offend, and ought not to rest without daily pardon. For, supposing that my trespasses against my Father are not at once taken to him to be washed away by the cleansing power of the Lord Jesus, what will be the consequence? If I have not sought forgiveness and been washed from these offences against my Father, I shall feel at a distance from him; I shall doubt his love to me; I shall tremble at him; I shall be afraid to pray to him: I shall grow like the prodigal, who, although still a child, was yet far off from his father.

But if, with a child's sorrow at offending so gracious and loving a Parent, I go to him and tell him all, and rest not till I realize that I am forgiven, then I shall feel a holy love to my Father, and shall go through my Christian career, not only as saved, but as one enjoying present peace in God through Jesus Christ my Lord. There is a wide distinction between confessing sin as a culprit, and confessing sin as a child. The Father's bosom is the place for penitent confessions. We have been cleansed once for all, but our feet still need to be washed from the defilement of our daily walk as children of God.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If You Are Real

The small church was crowded. All around me people worshiped a god that I didn't believe existed. Why was I there? My neighbor asked me to come. To be honest, I thought they would leave me alone if I did.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I had attended services with my family a few times, but it was more of a ritual or a way to celebrate holidays. What I hadn't anticipated was the wetness pressed against my eyelids as I clenched them shut.

My motto? Never let them see you cry. I wasn't about to break down in front of people I didn't know. I wasn't crying because I felt the presence of God or that I sensed his love for me. I fought tears because I was mad, so angry that I shook inside. How dare the preacher stand there and talk about the love of God. It was easy for him and people like him to spout off about a God who existed, who had a purpose for every person. Well, maybe their God had taken a personal interest in them but he didn't live at my house.

The mother I am about to share with you is the not the mom I have now. You see, she had an encounter with God, and he brought her out of the darkness of emotional pain and healed her. In order to share my story, I have to share a little bit of hers as well.

My mom left home at 16 years old, pregnant and newly married to a boy who thought he was a man. She lost her first baby to cystic fibrosis when the toddler was less than two years old. She had her second child at 18 and left her husband at the age of 21. He came to visit her one night and forced her to have sex. She discovered two weeks later she was pregnant.

I was that baby.

Mom married a good man who loved her and the two little kids that came as a package deal. But in spite of this turn of events, my mom was fragile. Like stained glass, she was pretty on the outside, but the broken pieces of her life created the portrait.

Growing up, I never knew what to expect. Would it be the mom who brought home suckers to surprise us, or the woman who spouted horrific things as she ran out the door and threatened to kill herself? There was physical abuse and apologies. There were humiliating punishments, harsh words, and tearful requests for forgiveness.

Please don't get me wrong. It wasn't always bad in my home, but when it was it was loud and chaotic and frightening. I feared one day that my mom would pull the trigger or hurt herself. I hated the words that came out of her mouth when she was angry.

One day my mom chased me through the house, brandishing an umbrella as she screamed at me. I ran out the door and into the rain. I was wearing a T-shirt and jeans and no shoes. The cold rain pelted me as I ran down Latimer Street. I pushed through the wetness, pumping my arms as I ran as fast as I could. Finally I stopped, bending down to catch my breath as my tears meshed with the raindrops. I slowly turned around and walked home, sat on the curb, and wept until my throat closed.

I was stuck. I couldn't run away. I had no money, no place to go. I was 13 years old. Where could I go?

I started smoking at the bus stop, pushing boundaries with my teachers, and drinking with my best friend. My attempts to be tough must have appeared hilarious to others. I was skinny to a fault and looked younger than my age. Being tough didn't come natural. My heart was gentle and I hated conflict and fighting, yet every single time I let my guard down someone hurt me.

Angry words all sharp and pointy, a knife in my soul.

That's when the hardness crept in. Never let them see you cry. Never give them a chance to know you care.

One day it all came to a head. My mom pulled us around her in her bedroom. She put a gun to her head and threatened to shoot herself. I was scared, but not because I thought she would die, but because under my breath I whispered, "just do it".

Who was this person I was becoming?

Two years later I stood in the little church. The pastor sang, strumming on the guitar as people knelt at the altar. "He loves you," he said. "He has a plan for your life."

Yeah, right. I pointed my chin at the sky, my eyes closed, and I challenged this God of which he spoke. "If you are real," I whispered, "and I don't believe you are, but if you exist and you know me and you love me like he says, I need to know."

I expected nothing, yet I received everything as a tender touch reached past my hardened heart. I've had trouble explaining this moment to people over the years. "Did you see God?" No. "Did you feel God's presence?" Yes, but so subtle and deep inside of me, touching areas that I had closed long ago to anybody, that I knew it was God.

Tears broke and streamed down my cheeks and for the first time in a long time I wept. I felt as if He had wrapped me in a warm blanket, enclosing me in his love. I stumbled from the church. I ran home and told my mom that I had just got "saved", though I really didn't understand what had occurred.

Did everything magically change? No. My circumstances were still the same, but everything was different on the inside of me.

I made mistakes, huge blunders as I tried to learn what it meant to follow Jesus as my Savior. I wasn't perfect, but I understood his love. I knew I wanted to know more. The people of that little church ministered to me in ways they will never understand. There were times I wept at the altar and then went home to chaos. There were times I fell in my walk with Christ and their gentle encouragement helped me to keep going.

It is amazing what can happen when God restores a broken life. It can be beautiful like the portrait that my mom is now, the shattered pieces of her life assembled together in a beautiful picture of God's mercy.

Today I am a mom, an author, a speaker, and a wife. I have the opportunity to minister to teens and women across the nation, sharing the story of my life and the beauty of purpose and the fact that God loved us from the beginning. My mother and father were saved when I was in my junior year of high school. I found a note from my dad under my pillow one day. I still carry it with me, the tattered pieces a reminder of what God has done. My quiet father, who very rarely shared the depth of his emotions, said in that letter, "I have watched you and I see that you have something that is of great worth, a treasure. I know that it is real and I admire you for your faith and your love for God."

We have never spoken of that letter, but it came at a time when I prayed for a sign. "God, show me that you hear my prayers. Heal my family. Let me know that you are listening." The folded piece of paper under my pillow was heaven sent and priceless.

For years my mom and I have been best of friends. She is compassionate, loving, and whole, and the memories of our past are forgiven and forgotten.
Today I am still running after the same God that touched my life when I was 15. I always tell my teen audiences that one day I'll be an old woman running after God with my walker. You see, he's done a million things for me. He's been with me through difficult times, but my love for him will always be wrapped around that first moment when he reached down to an angry, hurting, skinny 15-year old teenager and silently whispered that he loved me.

I still can't help but whisper back, "I love you too".