• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Cleanses Us and we must walk in His Light.
Now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

1 John 3:2,3 NIV

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Titus 2:11-14 KJV

Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.

1 Timothy 6:17 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Encourage him.”

Deuteronomy 1:38

God employs his people to encourage one another. He did not say to an angel, “Gabriel, my servant Joshua is about to lead my people into Canaan—go, encourage him.” God never works needless miracles; if his purposes can be accomplished by ordinary means, he will not use miraculous agency. Gabriel would not have been half so well fitted for the work as Moses. A brother's sympathy is more precious than an angel's embassy. The angel, swift of wing, had better known the Master's bidding than the people's temper. An angel had never experienced the hardness of the road, nor seen the fiery serpents, nor had he led the stiff-necked multitude in the wilderness as Moses had done.

We should be glad that God usually works for man by man. It forms a bond of brotherhood, and being mutually dependent on one another, we are fused more completely into one family. Brethren, take the text as God's message to you. Labor to help others, and especially strive to encourage them. Talk cheerily to the young and anxious enquirer, lovingly try to remove stumbling blocks out of his way. When you find a spark of grace in the heart, kneel down and blow it into a flame. Leave the young believer to discover the roughness of the road by degrees, but tell him of the strength which dwells in God, of the sureness of the promise, and of the charms of communion with Christ.

Aim to comfort the sorrowful, and to animate the desponding. Speak a word in season to him that is weary, and encourage those who are fearful to go on their way with gladness. God encourages you by his promises; Christ encourages you as he points to the heaven he has won for you, and the spirit encourages you as he works in you to will and to do of his own will and pleasure. Imitate divine wisdom, and encourage others, according to the word of this evening.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Parable Of The Tenants: A Bible Commentary

What does the Parable of the Tenets mean? To whom was it written, and what are the applications for us today?
The Owner
The Parable of the Tenants might be one of the parables that most afflicted the religious leaders of Jesus’ day, and we know it was given to the chief priests and scribes since it is “to them” He spoke, and so Jesus “began to speak to them in parables. “A man planted a vineyard and put a fence around it and dug a pit for the winepress and built a tower, and leased it to tenants and went into another country” (Mark 12:1), so this parable was a provocation of the religious leaders of the day, and they knew full well it was about them (Mark 12:12). The parable was directed at the self-proclaimed “holy men” and all of Israel’s leadership who had been persecuting and murdering the true prophets of God since the nation began.

The Jews should have known that the vineyard was a picture of Israel because God often referred to them as such, and they knew about God’s desire to have them produce fruit. God had originally established the nation of Israel to be kings and priests and be a witness to the world (Ex 19:6), but of course they failed miserably and were eventually taken into captivity by the Babylonians, and eventually, in 70 A.D., the Jews would face the utter destruction of Jerusalem where thousands upon thousands of Jews would die with the siege and destruction of Jerusalem when the Jews when the Roman armies came in 70 A.D.

The Tenants
Next, Jesus says, “When the season came, he sent a servant to the tenants to get from them some of the fruit of the vineyard. And they took him and beat him and sent him away empty-handed. Again he sent to them another servant, and they struck him on the head and treated him shamefully. And he sent another, and him they killed. And so with many others: some they beat, and some they killed” (Mark 12:2-5). The prophets of God were often called His servants (Ex 14:31; 2nd Chron1:3; Isaiah 0:3; Amos 3:7), so the servants that came to the vineyard were the prophets that God sent to preach repentance and turning back to God in obedience, but instead of listening to God’s prophets, they would often kill them to silence their message because it afflicted them so much. You can read about many of these men who died in this fashion in Hebrews 11.

The Heir
Jesus, speaking directly to the religious Jews, said the owner of the Vineyard (God), “had still one other, a beloved son. Finally he sent him to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ But those tenants said to one another, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.’ And they took him and killed him and threw him out of the vineyard” (Mark 12:6-8). In the synoptic gospels, Jesus is sometimes referred to as God’s “beloved Son” (Mark 1:11, 9:7; Matt 16:16), so the Jews knew exactly who this referred to (Jesus), so they understood that the heir was Jesus and the tenants were the Jews, and it wouldn’t be that long until the Jews would in fact kill the heir and throw him out of the vineyard, signifying how Jesus would be rejected and murdered by His own people, and just as the parable indicated.

We know that it was out of envy that the Jews delivered Jesus to be killed (Matt 27:18) because Jesus’ popularity was overshadowing their own ruler-ship over the Jews. In the people’s eyes, they looked at the religious leaders as holy men, and they feared that more would be following Jesus than would be following them, so they crucified Jesus after an illegal trial, thinking, “the inheritance would be ours.”

The Rejection
Next, Jesus said, “What will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the tenants and give the vineyard to others” (Mark 12:9), and that’s exactly what happened to most of them in 70 A.D. when the Romans came and destroyed Jerusalem and killed thousands of Jews after they rebelled against the empire, so God did “destroy the tenants” and God did “give the vineyard to others.” Those “others” would be Jews and Gentiles who repented and put their trust in Christ, and so it was to them that God gave the vineyard, or the kingdom.

The Judgment
Jesus quotes Psalm 118:22, 23 when referring to the Jews rejection of the “heir,” saying, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone” (Mark 12:10). We know this is true because the Jews “were seeking to arrest him but feared the people, for they perceived that he had told the parable against them. So they left him and went away” (Mark 12:12). The tragic thing is, they rejected their only hope of salvation and since they refused to acknowledge Jesus as the chief cornerstone, Jesus warned them, “Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him” (Luke 20:18).

That day is coming when all of the unsaved will be judged before Christ (Rev 20:12-15), and the Rock that is our salvation, will be a stumbling block for them and all who reject Christ, and that same stone that believer’s stand upon, will smash to pieces all who refused to trust in Him. Notice that whoever “falls on the stone will be broken to pieces and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him” (Luke 20:18), indicating God’s sure and certain judgment.

Conclusion
Even though this parable was given directly to the Jews, the implications are for all who reject Christ. That rock of offense is the Rock, Jesus Christ, and you are either for Him or against Him. You either believe and have eternal life, or reject Him and have the wrath of God abiding on you (John 3:36), so whoever refuses to repent and trust in Christ, will have this Rock fall upon them and break them into pieces, and that means they will forever be separated from God, while those who received Christ will be given the vineyard and rule with, but under the heir, Jesus Christ.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I Encountered the Devil on 42!
===============================

I had to share this story because it reinforced my faith and
the reason that this 42 day cleanse is so important.

I live in New York City. I was on my way to work on the local
train. The express train arrived across the platform. I said,
"Thank you, Jesus, I will get to work early today." I did not
find a seat.

As I looked down, I encountered pure evil as I looked into this
woman's eyes. She was seated in front of me. She immediately
started talking to me as if she knew me. She started making fun
of my makeup and my eyes. I got a chill because it was a strange
tone of voice.

I am getting the chills now just writing this. She asked a man
if the next stop was Pacific Street and he replied, “Yes.”

She proceeded to antagonize me. She said how she saw me at Coney
Island and how she was going to get me, because she knew where I
lived. Somehow I believed her.

A heat started to rise in me and my adrenaline started pumping
to the point of fight or flight. I almost lost my religion.

She kept saying to look at her. I closed my eyes and prayed to
Jesus. I said, “Jesus please help me not to destroy my life in
a quick moment of anger.”

I prayed to make myself still. I prayed for help. I thought she
was crazy at first or on drugs, but she had a tone of voice
that said otherwise. It was the devil.

She said to stop closing my eyes (I was praying) and to look at
her or else she was going to spit on me and hit me. I was in
shock. I prayed, “Jesus, help me not to become angry, help me,
make her stop.”

Remember the man who she asked about the next stop, he spoke.
The man told her to stop making everyone’s train ride
unpleasant. He told her that her stop was approaching. She did
not utter a word, she put her head down and got off the train,
almost ashamed.

I would have not believed this could be happening and I would
not have prayed or remained silent if this happened prior to
42. This guy was a regular skinny, Caucasian man in his mid
thirties. When I looked into his eyes, I not only saw goodness,
but I felt it.

All I could say was, “Thank you.” He said that it was okay.
I think he was an angel, because he got off two stops later on
my stop, and he disappeared in the crowd a little too fast
because he was taller than everyone else.

I faced opposition as I started 42, from my family, spouse, and
work, but this was the only one who took me by surprise, scared
me, and let me know that I was not alone.

God had my back, and I gave thanks.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walk in His Light & He gives us more Light
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Philippians 4:8,9 KJV

Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

1 Peter 2:11,12, NASB

Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.

Matthew 7:24,25 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And they follow me.”

John 10:27

We should follow our Lord as unhesitatingly as sheep follow their shepherd, for he has a right to lead us wherever he pleases. We are not our own, we are bought with a price—let us recognize the rights of the redeeming blood. The soldier follows his captain, the servant obeys his master, much more must we follow our Redeemer, to whom we are a purchased possession. We are not true to our profession of being Christians, if we question the bidding of our Leader and Commander.

Submission is our duty, cavilling is our folly. Often might our Lord say to us as to Peter, “What is that to thee? Follow thou me.” Wherever Jesus may lead us, he goes before us. If we know not where we go, we know with whom we go. With such a companion, who will dread the perils of the road? The journey may be long, but his everlasting arms will carry us to the end. The presence of Jesus is the assurance of eternal salvation, because he lives, we shall live also. We should follow Christ in simplicity and faith, because the paths in which he leads us all end in glory and immortality. It is true they may not be smooth paths — they may be covered with sharp flinty trials, but they lead to the “city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.” “All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant.”

Let us put full trust in our Leader, since we know that, come prosperity or adversity, sickness or health, popularity or contempt, his purpose shall be worked out, and that purpose shall be pure, unmingled good to every heir of mercy. We shall find it sweet to go up the bleak side of the hill with Christ; and when rain and snow blow into our faces, his dear love will make us far more blest than those who sit at home and warm their hands at the world's fire. To the top of Amana, to the dens of lions, or to the hills of leopards, we will follow our Beloved. Precious Jesus, draw us, and we will run after thee.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walk in His Light & He gives us more Light
Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:19,20 NASB

For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.

Romans 2:13 RSV

As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:9,10 NASB

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror.

For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

James 1:22-25 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“For this child I prayed.”

1 Samuel 1:27

Devout souls delight to look upon those mercies which they have obtained in answer to supplication, for they can see God's especial love in them. When we can name our blessings Samuel, that is, “asked of God,” they will be as dear to us as her child was to Hannah. Peninnah had many children, but they came as common blessings unsought in prayer: Hannah's one heaven-given child was dearer far, because he was the fruit of earnest pleadings. How sweet was that water to Samson which he found at “the well of him that prayed!” Quassia cups turn all waters bitter, but the cup of prayer puts a sweetness into the draughts it brings.

Did we pray for the conversion of our children? How doubly sweet, when they are saved, to see in them our own petitions fulfilled! Better to rejoice over them as the fruit of our pleadings than as the fruit of our bodies. Have we sought of the Lord some choice spiritual gift? When it comes to us it will be wrapped up in the gold cloth of God's faithfulness and truth, and so be doubly precious. Have we petitioned for success in the Lord's work? How joyful is the prosperity which comes flying upon the wings of prayer!

It is always best to get blessings into our house in the legitimate way, by the door of prayer; then they are blessings indeed, and not temptations. Even when prayer speeds not, the blessings grow all the richer for the delay; the child Jesus was all the more lovely in the eyes of Mary when she found him after having sought him sorrowing. That which we win by prayer we should dedicate to God, as Hannah dedicated Samuel. The gift came from heaven, let it go to heaven. Prayer brought it, gratitude sang over it, let devotion consecrate it. Here will be a special occasion for saying, “Of thine own have I given unto thee.” Reader, is prayer your element or your weariness? Which?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thoughts and Prayers Are Great {But We’re Called to Something Much, Much More}

I just got back from Houston and I may soon be deployed to Florida. I’ve got hurricane stories to tell but that will come later. Someone asked me if I was a storm chaser. Another shook their head and said with a smile that I was a fool. Maybe I’m all of that and that’s okay.
Catching up on emails and my social media feeds I’m seeing all kinds of news about the big storms. Watching television live streams is addictive isn’t it? With breathless reporters looking for victims and at the same time scared half to death themselves. We can’t stop with see-saw of shock and fear and dismay.
We all want to do something, but most of us feel helpless. So we offer our thoughts and prayers.
I’ve done that, offered the words when I don’t know anything else to say. But now I’m wondering.

There’s a place for that
Now don’t get me wrong. When we send our thoughts to the needy, to the suffering, the hurting they are important. When my father died and then my mother in a short amount of time, the idea that people were thinking of me was tremendously helpful. The emails, texts, and actual cards and letters that poured in me proved to be of great comfort.
And the prayers are those silent weapons that actually do change things. Of this I believe. And to tell someone that you are praying for them, and actually mean it, has marvelous influence. When tragedy hits, we turn to God, looking for answer, looking for hope. And prayer to find some meaning in it all is of great comfort. Even the prayers of those who do not believe, who think it’s a big bunch of hogwash are welcome. Just pray. Please.
Of course politicians and leaders have to say something in the face of tragedy. To Tweet out “thoughts and prayers” is almost automatic these days.
Everyone from the 7-11 convenience stores to Queen Elizabeth II to Beyonce have issued statements using the phrase.

As a professional corporate communicator, I know the pressure for the boss to say just the right thing. You want to be sensitive and yet take into account all the factors.

But then there’s more
But for me, I’m at the point in my life where I’m no longer satisfied with just Thoughts and Prayers. If that’s all I’m offering, I am no longer in the service of love, of compassion, of change. I have hung up my uniform and ceded the fight to another.
I don’t want you to stop thinking and praying for those who are impacted by Hurricanes Irma and Harvey. I saw first-hand the devastation of Harvey and know that hundreds of thousands of people have had their lives upended. To see row after row of homes with all their worldly possessions scooped out onto the front of the house was humbling and sad.

And don’t give up sending thoughts to victims of terror, or violence, or devastation. Don’t quit praying for those who have cancer or have lost a loved one or been fired from a job.
Yes. Think. Yes. Pray.
But I believe we all need to add one more word. “Do.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Our Help in Trouble
Consider the blameless, observe the upright;
there is a future for the man of peace.

But all sinners will be destroyed;
the future of the wicked will be cut off.

Psalm 37:39,40 NIV

The LORD is good,
A stronghold in the day of trouble,
And He knows those who take refuge in Him.

Nahum 1:7 NASB

Thou who hast made me see many
sore troubles wilt revive me again;
from the depths of the earth
thou wilt bring me up again.

Thou wilt increase my honor,
and comfort me again.
I will also praise thee with
the harp for thy faithfulness, O my God;
I will sing praises to thee with the lyre,
O Holy One of Israel.

Psalm 71:20-22 RSV

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth should change

And though the mountains slip
into the heart of the sea;

Psalm 46:1,2 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Gather not my soul with sinners.”

Psalm 26:9

Fear made David pray thus, for something whispered, “Perhaps, after all, thou mayst be gathered with the wicked.” That fear, although marred by unbelief, springs, in the main, from holy anxiety, arising from the recollection of past sin. Even the pardoned man will enquire, “What if at the end my sins should be remembered, and I should be left out of the catalogue of the saved?” He recollects his present unfruitfulness — so little grace, so little love, so little holiness, and looking forward to the future, he considers his weakness and the many temptations which beset him, and he fears that he may fall, and become a prey to the enemy. A sense of sin and present evil, and his prevailing corruptions, compel him to pray, in fear and trembling, “Gather not my soul with sinners.”

Reader, if you have prayed this prayer, and if your character be rightly described in the Psalm from which it is taken, you need not be afraid that you shall be gathered with sinners. Have you the two virtues which David had — the outward walking in integrity, and the inward trusting in the Lord? Are you resting upon Christ's sacrifice, and can you compass the altar of God with humble hope? If so, rest assured, with the wicked you never shall be gathered, for that calamity is impossible.

The gathering at the judgment is like to like. “Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.” If, then, thou art like God's people, thou shalt be with God's people. You cannot be gathered with the wicked, for you are too dearly bought. Redeemed by the blood of Christ, you are his for ever, and where he is, there must his people be. You are loved too much to be cast away with reprobates. Shall one dear to Christ perish? Impossible! Hell cannot hold thee! Heaven claims thee! Trust in thy Surety and fear not!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Survey Of First Timothy

Here is a look at the Apostle Paul’s Book of 1st Timothy and why he wrote it and to whom.

Paul’s Opening Argument
The Apostle Paul’s argument or explanation to Timothy in 1st Timothy and the church at Ephesus is a clear explanation of showing the difference between the gospel of God being solely of grace and which false ideas or teachings are opposed to this. Paul tells how a person is justified by faith (1:15-16). This is opposed to the false teachings that the Law can redeem a person and put them into a right relationship with God (1:4-9, 4:1-5).

The false teachers and their teachings are not in agreement with the true doctrine from God which is by grace alone in faith alone in Christ alone (4:7, 10), so Paul tells Timothy that it’s urgent to immediately refute these falsehoods (1:3, 4) and explains that they are based upon human reasoning and not based upon the objective truth that is from God (1:6, 7, 10). Paul gives further explanations as to how the church membership should behave (3:14, 15) in the event that he is delayed in coming (3:15). Paul argues from the standpoint that false teachers are bringing in human arguments and reasoning’s and that these false teachings are leading some astray (1:6, 4:1-3), which is the very thing that is happening today.
First Timothy’s Organization
Paul’s letter to Timothy and the church at Ephesus is organized in five different ways.

False Doctrines
The false doctrines at Ephesus are first introduced at the beginning which sends the message that it is of great importance or urgency (1:3-11), then Paul’s doctrine of justification is juxtaposed with the false teachings to show how a person is truly justified (1:12-17).

Instructions for the Church
Paul gives Timothy direct instructions for how the church membership should act (2:1-3:16). Paul gives the proper format and reasons for prayer, both corporately and privately (2:1-8). The proper role of women in the church, and by extension, in the home, is also covered by Paul in his instructions to Timothy and the church at Ephesus (2:9-15). He also lays out the qualifications for church leadership probably due to the false teachers who are not qualified according to God (3:1-13). The proper conduct of widows and the elders both at home and in the household of God are given to Timothy by Paul (5:1-21), and so he states his specific purpose for writing his letter to Timothy, telling him that this is “how one ought to behave in the household of God” (3:14, 15). Paul next addresses Timothy in how to deal with false teachers and how to identify them by what they teach (4:1-3), and by what they forbid (4:3), in contrast to what God has blessed (4:4-16).

Pastoral Responsibilities
Pastoral responsibilities come next with how Timothy should deal with open sinning in the church (5:1-2), how slaves should live as an example for the gospel (6:1-2), what Timothy has to do behind the pulpit (5:6, 6:2, 13), and how to fight for the truth that Paul delivered to Timothy (6:12, 13).

Dealing with False Teachings
A final admonition near the end of the letter is given to Timothy in how to deal with false teachings (6:3-5), the kinds of evil that the love of money brings (6:6-10), the character of a godly man of faith (6:11-16), how to guard the objective truth of God given to Timothy’s charge (6:20, 21). Why does Paul often repeat warnings about false teachers? It’s because of the damage that false teachers have already done in the church at Ephesus (3:14-16, 4:1, 2), so he begins the letter with warnings about false teacher’s teachings (1:3-11), covers the false teachers again in the middle of the letter (4:1-5), and ends the letter with yet another warning that concludes the letter (6:3-5). This is indicative of the reason that he wrote this letter. Paul is addressing the seriousness of the false teachings that have infiltrated the church, so the organization of the letter speaks well to this fact and tells Timothy in no uncertain terms that he is to take care of himself because it must have been stressful on the young pastor (5:22).

Crucial Terms
By the sheer volume and repeated uses of warnings about false teachers and their false teachings, which dominate the entire letter, Paul stresses two terms alone are frequently emphasized: to watch for false teachers and to watch for their false teachings. These warnings are repeated more often than anything else, but as we know, it was not only in Ephesus that false teachers were creating problems, but in nearly every church that Paul had established or wrote to. The Jews were following Paul around and bringing in elements of the Law which are not related to the gospel that Paul had taught Timothy and in the New Testament churches (1:4, 9, 4:1-5).

In fact chapter one, four, and six are primarily dedicated to the issue of false teachers who have brought in false teachings. Even the church leadership qualifications in chapter three were likely intended to ensure godly leaders would be installed in the church that were actually qualified and to oppose those false teachers that may have already been in positions of leadership (3:1-13). This makes sense because Paul follows the church leadership qualifications (3:1-13) with the reasons that he wrote the letter to Timothy and the church at Ephesus saying that he hopes to “come to [Timothy] soon…so that if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God (the church)…” (3:14-15).

Primary Points
I believe that Paul does move to a climax about the primary focus of this letter to Timothy. After two previous warnings about false teachers and their false teachings, and the result of these ungodly teachings (1:3-11, 4:1-16), he moves on to the peril of the results of those who have been affected (6:4, 5, 9). This is particularly noted where Paul says that they “plunge people into ruin and destruction” and that the love of power and money is at the “root” of the problem (6:9, 10). Paul concludes the letter by warning Timothy that their teachings are both godless and “swerve from the faith” which is a dangerous position to be in if you are a teacher (6:20).

Paul tells Timothy with urgency to keep false teachers from teaching their false teachings which are not what Paul personally taught him and to not deviate from these teachings (1:3). Paul also tells Timothy to restrain these false ministers from teaching their mythological, empty teachings (1:4). Paul insists that what they teach they don’t even understand, even though they are sure of themselves and their teachings (1:5), and that they ought to be only teaching those things that are in “accordance with the gospel” (1:11).

Conclusion
Paul commands Timothy like a general would a commanding officer that he’s got a fight on his hands and to gird his loins with the truth (1:18-19). This type of warfare necessitates the dire need for prayer (2:1). To ensure that godly teachers are ordained in the church, Paul lists qualifications that cannot be compromised (3:1-13), but Paul already knows that some will depart form the gospel of God (4:1). They will use doctrines that are straight out of hell and not from God and teach things not ordained by God (4:2-5), so Paul gives this imperative command to Timothy to teach the church that our only hope is found in the Savior (4:10, 11) and to teach the congregation this same truth (4:13).

Timothy is also told to keep the church in line by making sure that those who are trying to take advantage of their position are not allowed to do so. For example the widows who are not truly widows and families who are able, are to take care of their own household (5:3, 4, 8). Paul gives final instructions for Timothy which is also the main theme of this letter; teach the truth from God (6:2) and stop any false teachings dead in their tracks (6:3). Paul admonishes Timothy to fight with all his might and to guard the truth with his life (6:2), just as you would a treasure, because these are the great and precious promises.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Witnessing - Stay at It
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Galatians 6:9,10 NIV

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

John 15:7,8 KJV

Those who sow in tears
shall reap with joyful shouting.
He who goes to and fro weeping,
carrying his bag of seed,

Shall indeed come again
with a shout of joy,
bringing his sheaves with him.

Psalm 126:5,6 NASB

And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Matthew 28:18-20

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“In the evening withhold not thy hand.”

Ecclesiastes 11:6

In the evening of the day opportunities are plentiful: men return from their labour, and the zealous soul-winner finds time to tell abroad the love of Jesus. Have I no evening work for Jesus? If I have not, let me no longer withhold my hand from a service which requires abundant labour. Sinners are perishing for lack of knowledge; he who loiters may find his skirts crimson with the blood of souls.

Jesus gave both his hands to the nails, how can I keep back one of mine from his blessed work? Night and day he toiled and prayed for me, how can I give a single hour to the pampering of my flesh with luxurious ease? Up, idle heart; stretch out thy hand to work, or uplift it to pray; heaven and hell are in earnest, let me be so, and this evening sow good seed for the Lord my God.

The evening of life has also its calls. Life is so short that a morning of manhood's vigour, and an evening of decay, make the whole of it. To some it seems long, but a four-pence is a great sum of money to a poor man. Life is so brief that no man can afford to lose a day. It has been well said that if a great king should bring us a great heap of gold, and bid us take as much as we could count in a day, we should make a long day of it; we should begin early in the morning, and in the evening we should not withhold our hand; but to win souls is far nobler work, how is it that we so soon withdraw from it?

Some are spared to a long evening of green old age; if such be my case, let me use such talents as I still retain, and to the last hour serve my blessed and faithful Lord. By his grace I will die in harness, and lay down my charge only when I lay down my body. Age may instruct the young, cheer the faint, and encourage the desponding; if eventide has less of vigorous heat, it should have more of calm wisdom, therefore in the evening I will not withhold my hand.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Abraham: Forerunner Of The Faithful

Why does Paul spend so much time writing about faith and then mentioning Abraham? It’s because, just like Abraham, we too can be justified by believing God.

Abraham Went
Perhaps more than most of the patriarchs, Abraham personified the statement that “the just shall live by faith,” and he was the prototype of living by faith, however God expected Abraham to be obedient before blessing him. Obedience would come first and only then would the blessings come. Here was Abram’s first introduction to God: “the LORD said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing” (Gen 12:1-2). So did Abram (later changed to Abraham) stop and think about it? Did he consult with his family or father-n-law about leaving his nation, his old pagan religion, and all that was familiar to him? No, we read, “Abram went, as the LORD had told him” (Gen 12:3). He went to a place he’d never seen before, to go near people who he met, and to live serve a God he never knew before. Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness, so who were those who were blessed by this and those who were cursed by this statement of God where it said that God would bless those who bless Abraham and would curse those who cursed him (Gen 12:3)?

Those who believed God would have the curse removed in Christ, but those who rejected Him, shall live under and die under the curse. I understand that obedience precedes understanding and that blessing comes only after obedience, which is what Abraham showed when he left family, country, and everything that was familiar to him, so even after thousands of years, Abraham remains a supreme example of faith, and why he was so very blessed by God. I hope to show that Paul successfully linked Abraham with the present in writing to the Galatians writing that the blessings of Abraham are not only for “those who claimed to be his children” (Gal 3:7-8), but for those who trust in the Promised Seed of his. It is grace and not race, so like Abraham, we must believe God in order to be justified.

Separated from God
Paul clearly revealed that the boundary markers that inevitably provoke divisions between the Jews and the Gentiles are broken down in Christ, and that is this blessing spoken of, because we who were once afar are now reconciled to God through Christ. Romans 5:10 and Ephesians 2:13 say that we who were once the enemies of God, and alienated from him by our sins, were separated from God, but not by our race but by our unbelief, but now we are accepted by God through this Promised Seed. As it is written; “we are reconciled [and] shall…be saved by his life” (Rom 5:10b). This is the blessing of God given to Abraham, because after the fall in Eden, mankind was separated from God by sin. Isaiah 59:2 wrote; “your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear” however “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree” (Gal 3:13)

Nations Blessed
The blessings that God promised Abraham will come to all nations and all people who put their trust in the Promised Seed, but those who reject Him are still under the curse. This is what Paul meant when he wrote that “the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed” (Gal 3:8).

Notice that the gospel was preached even in the Old Testament, and in the Scriptures (the Pentateuch precisely) the promise is given by God to Abraham, but also to all who will believe in Christ. Paul even quotes Genesis 12:3 in writing Galatians 3:8, therefore there can be no mistake about it. The gospel is the message or good news of this blessing and this blessing is the Promised Seed, Jesus Christ. That is how the nations or all people who trust in Christ will be blessed. It is more than land, it is more than wealth, it is more than children…it is eternal life in the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Promised Seed
The story of Abram in Genesis 12 is a story that is interwoven throughout the Old Testament and the New Testament (Gen. 18:18, 22:18, 26:4, 28:15; Acts 3:25; Gal. 3:8). Abram’s obedience to go from his country, his kindred, and his father’s house was a covenantal promise that was unconditional. The blessings are still being received today by those who repent and put their trust in Christ. These blessings are to continue into eternity, which means they will have no end. Jesus Christ’s obedience resulted in blessings that have I implications for us today, and for all time, and this blessing was given as a royal grant-type of covenant, and is the golden thread stitching together the whole fabric of Scripture.

Even today, this “golden thread” of blessings is reaching the families of the earth…from every tongue and every nation. For those who have yet to be born, they too can become the children of God and into the endless tomorrows of eternity. Matthew addressed the Jewish people and was very much interested in the historicity of Abraham’s Promised Seed, writing that “the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham” (Matt 1:1), indicating that the unconditional fulfillment of that Promised Seed was in Jesus Christ. If only more would believe.

Conclusion
Just as Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” (Gal 3:6), so you can believe God and be justified, since “it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham” (Gal 3:7). Clearly, “the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed” (Gal 3:9). This means that “those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith” (Gal 3:9), “so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith”(Gal 3:14).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Is Faithful!
Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.

Deuteronomy 7:9 NIV

He is the LORD our God:
his judgments are in all the earth.

He hath remembered his covenant for ever,
the word which he commanded to a thousand generations.

Psalm 105:7,8 KJV

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;

Hebrews 10:23 NASB

I prayed to the LORD my God and made confession, saying,
"O Lord, the great and awesome God,
who keeps covenant and steadfast love with
those who love him and keep his commandments."

Daniel 9:4 ESV

God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

I Corinthians 1:9

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.”

Psalm 61:2

Most of us know what it is to be overwhelmed in heart; emptied as when a man wipeth a dish and turneth it upside down; submerged and thrown on our beam ends like a vessel mastered by the storm. Discoveries of inward corruption will do this, if the Lord permits the great deep of our depravity to become troubled and cast up mire and dirt. Disappointments and heart-breaks will do this when billow after billow rolls over us, and we are like a broken shell hurled to and fro by the surf.

Blessed be God, at such seasons we are not without an all-sufficient solace, our God is the harbour of weather-beaten sails, the hospice of forlorn pilgrims. Higher than we are is he, his mercy higher than our sins, his love higher than our thoughts. It is pitiful to see men putting their trust in something lower than themselves; but our confidence is fixed upon an exceeding high and glorious Lord. A Rock he is since he changes not, and a high Rock, because the tempests which overwhelm us roll far beneath at his feet; he is not disturbed by them, but rules them at his will. If we get under the shelter of this lofty Rock we may defy the hurricane; all is calm under the lee of that towering cliff.

Alas! such is the confusion in which the troubled mind is often cast, that we need piloting to this divine shelter. Hence the prayer of the text. O Lord, our God, by thy Holy Spirit, teach us the way of faith, lead us into thy rest. The wind blows us out to sea, the helm answers not to our puny hand; thou, thou alone canst steer us over the bar between yon sunken rocks, safe into the fair haven. How dependent we are upon thee—we need thee to bring us to thee. To be wisely directed and steered into safety and peace is thy gift, and thine alone. This night be pleased to deal well with thy servants.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Christian, You Are Not Suffering Alone

There is something inherently lonely about suffering. As much as others try to be empathetic, they cannot fully understand. Your own suffering is unique to you, even if it does have similarities to others.
One of the dangers of social media like Facebook is that if you are having a difficult time, the lives of others can seem perfect, and you can convince yourself they have no problems to face. As I said in my last post, however, the truth is that EVERYBODY does experience suffering of different kinds of sufferings at different times.
Knowing that you are part of a suffering community can be encouraging. But what is more encouraging still is knowing that you are still a child of God, and that he has made certain promises to you. I wanted to share with you today one promise that I have come back to time and again in the last 18 months since a friend sent me these words as a form of prophetic encouragement:
…the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you (1 Peter 5:9-10)
Lets begin to focus on some of the key words in these verses.
  • ‘the same kinds of suffering’ Honestly, its true. And one thing that I found particularly important to cling onto as I lay in hospital with pneumonia, was how fortunate I was. I kept thinking of others who had experienced similar things to me, but to a much greater extent. It is true that I was the sickest I have ever been. But I tried not to allow myself to feel too sorry for myself, but to be grateful that I had escaped such suffering till now, and that I was still being spared from far worse.

• ‘a little while’ Time can seem to stand still when you are really suffering. I know I lost track of time altogether. Hours merged into days and weeks. And I am still nothing like as strong as I was pre-pneumonia several months later. Its easy to get frustrated, and discouraged, and to think that it will never end. But, get some perspective, I tell myself. Even measuring time by comparing it to my lifespan, this has been just a little time. And just knowing that whatever suffering you are going through comes with an expiry date is incredibly encouraging. For the Christian, even if ‘a little while’ means for the rest of our natural life, our Christian hope is that we will have an eternity to appreciate that our troubles really were “light and momentary” and that in some mysterious way our troubles play a role in producing for us “an eternal glory that far outweighs them all” (2 Corinthians 4:17)

• The God of all grace’ This means that God isn’t sitting in heaven weighing up how well you are doing to determine how much he will bless you. He is not ‘part grace’ and ‘mostly law’. He has determined that he WILL bless you not because of what you have done, but because he has decided to do it because he loves you! This is an amazing truth when you find yourself unable to do what you used to do ‘for’ God (as though he needed anything!). You can come to him confident, no matter what you have done, that he remains full of Grace to cover you.

• ‘Called you to his eternal glory in Christ’ As we have already alluded, there is an eternal glory coming. There really is a day when all our troubles will be wiped away.
This passage also gives us hope I believe for the present, as it ends in a string of one-word promises of what God will do for us. But, that should be the subject of another article, since, as I like to imagine it, you may have just about finished that coffee you made for yourself just before you started to read these words. I hope this has been as encouraging for you to read as it was for me to write. God’s Word really is full of gems that he left to bless us and lift us up!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Concerning Honesty
You shall not have in your house two kinds of measures, a large and a small. A full and just weight you shall have, a full and just measure you shall have; that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you. For all who do such things, all who act dishonestly, are an abomination to the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 25:15,16 RSV

Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Colossians 3:9,10 KJV

You must display a new nature because you are a new person, created in God's likeness--righteous, holy, and true. So put away all falsehood and "tell your neighbor the truth" because we belong to each other.

Ephesians 4:24,25 NLT

You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Leviticus 19:11 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
''Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe.”

Mark 9:23

A certain man had a demoniac son, who was afflicted with a dumb spirit. The father, having seen the futility of the endeavors of the disciples to heal his child, had little or no faith in Christ, and therefore, when he was bidden to bring his son to him, he said to Jesus, “If thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us.” Now there was an “if” in the question, but the poor trembling father had put the “if” in the wrong place: Jesus Christ, therefore, without commanding him to retract the “if,” kindly puts it in its legitimate position.

“Nay, verily,” he seemed to say, “there should be no ‘if’ about my power, nor concerning my willingness, the ‘if’ lies somewhere else.” “If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.” The man's trust was strengthened, he offered a humble prayer for an increase of faith, and instantly Jesus spoke the word, and the devil was cast out, with an injunction never to return.

There is a lesson here which we need to learn. We, like this man, often see that there is an “if” somewhere, but we are perpetually blundering by putting it in the wrong place. “If” Jesus can help me—“if” he can give me grace to overcome temptation—“if” he can give me pardon—“if” he can make me successful? Nay, “if” you can believe, he both can and will. You have misplaced your “if.” If you can confidently trust, even as all things are possible to Christ, so shall all things be possible to you.

Faith standeth in God's power, and is robed in God's majesty; it weareth the royal apparel, and rideth on the King's horse, for it is the grace which the King delighteth to honour. Girding itself with the glorious might of the all-working Spirit, it becomes, in the omnipotence of God, mighty to do, to dare, and to suffer. All things, without limit, are possible to him that believeth. My soul, canst thou believe thy Lord to-night?