• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whole again

I tried so hard to walk beside you
But when I looked up, You were hardly in view.

It wasn’t because You were walking too fast,
But I turned around and begin to look back.
At things I thought would quench my thirst,
I made them my gods, and put them first.
So once again I looked away,

But thank You Lord, You refused me to stray.
Wallering down in the pit of filth,
Your loving hand began to sift.
Through all my sin cleansing my soul,
Once again Lord, You’ve made me WHOLE.

Broken once, then broken again,
How faithful You are my God, my friend.
Searching my heart You only find sin,
But you knock like before and ask to come in.

As I slowly look up with tears in my eyes,
You assure me gently that I am Your child.
“But God not once, not twice, but everyday
My selfish heart wants things now, my own way.”

“Patience and time, keep seeking me,
You’ll grow my child, just trust and you’ll see.”
“But sin has filled my heart and its deep,
But you OH LORD make me strong when I’m weak.”

Give me the strength of Job through the trials,
Give me the song of David as He looked to the skies.
Give me the faithfulness that Ruth had within,
Give me perserverance as Paul’s, when people condemn.
Give me love as Hosea’s for his unfaithful wife,
Give me forgiveness as You had when Peter denied.
So grab my hand, I don’t want to let go,
I want to walk with you Lord, each day help me grow.

Redeeming love you’ve shown to me,
You’ve released me from sin, into Your arms I flee.

In Your hands I place all my cares,
Your peace surrounds me as I feel You there.
Your promises are faithful, Your covenant true,
You’ve brought me out of the pit Lord, and I am walking with You!!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“That those things which cannot be shaken may remain.”

Hebrews 12:27

We have many things in our possession at the present moment which can be shaken, and it ill becomes a Christian man to set much store by them, for there is nothing stable beneath these rolling skies; change is written upon all things. Yet, we have certain “things which cannot be shaken,” and I invite you this evening to think of them, that if the things which can be shaken should all be taken away, you may derive real comfort from the things that cannot be shaken, which will remain.

Whatever your losses have been, or may be, you enjoy present salvation. You are standing at the foot of his cross, trusting alone in the merit of Jesus’ precious blood, and no rise or fall of the markets can interfere with your salvation in him; no breaking of banks, no failures and bankruptcies can touch that. Then you are a child of God this evening. God is your Father. No change of circumstances can ever rob you of that. Although by losses brought to poverty, and stripped bare, you can say, “He is my Father still. In my Father's house are many mansions; therefore will I not be troubled.”

You have another permanent blessing, namely, the love of Jesus Christ. He who is God and Man loves you with all the strength of his affectionate nature — nothing can affect that. The fig tree may not blossom, and the flocks may cease from the field, it matters not to the man who can sing, “My Beloved is mine, and I am his.” Our best portion and richest heritage we cannot lose.

Whatever troubles come, let us play the man; let us show that we are not such little children as to be cast down by what may happen in this poor fleeting state of time. Our country is Immanuel's land, our hope is above the sky, and therefore, calm as the summer's ocean; we will see the wreck of everything earthborn, and yet rejoice in the God of our salvation.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Apprehended

As I ran from God I was pursued and overtaken by the Almighty
He took my hand turned me around
Wrapped in His arms He called me son
and lifted me upon high
I sat at His banqueting table ate my fill
and became a partaker of the promise
The wonder of it all the Love of God

Pursuing the likes of me
Did He not know what I had done
He said all is forgiven
the price has been paid you are free
I saw His glory abound Holiness all around
Learned to pray and found a Friend
He showed me the world thru the eyes of his Word

The pastures are green and the waters are still
All is well for it’s Him that I see
The one that Apprehends the runner

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Exodus And Christian Conversion

How is the Exodus from Egypt like a Christian’s conversion? Are there similarities?
The Exodus
When God heard the cries of His people under their harsh bondage to the Egyptians, God told Moses that He was going to free His people. After a series of plagues, and Pharaoh’s persistent refusal to free the Israelites, God promised that every firstborn, both man and beast would die. Only the firstborn of those who would take a spotless lamb’s blood and apply it to their doorposts would live.

We read of this account where it says, “The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt…that on the tenth day of this month every man shall take a lamb according to their fathers’ houses, a lamb for a household” (Ex 12:1, 3), but it was critical that “Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male a year old. You may take it from the sheep or from the goats” (Ex 12:6). Naturally, the reference to a lamb without spot or blemish foreshadows Jesus Christ by whom we were ransomed (1 Pet 1:18), so it was only “with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot” (1 Pet 1:19)

Egypt and Sin
It’s not that the Egyptians themselves represented sin, but some have seen the Israelites coming out of Egypt as symbolic for the Christian coming out of sin. Jesus said “everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin” (John 8:34). The Apostle Paul asked, “Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness” (Rom 6:16), so whoever is held captive by sin is under the bondage of sin.

The only way the Israelite’s firstborn could survive was to “take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses in which they eat it” (Ex 12:7), so essentially, that lamb’s blood on the door posts was a public profession of faith in God. It gave them the assurance that God would pass overthat house, meaning they would avoid God’s judgment, so the Lord will pass over those with the blood publically displayed.

God will not pass through but pass over them, but He will not pass over, but pass through those who reject the blood of Christ, and that lamb’s blood looked ahead to the substitutionary death of Christ on the cross. Whoever had the lamb’s blood would live, and God’s judgment would pass over them. Today, whoever trusts in Christ will cause God’s wrath to pass over them. “Whoever” applied the blood in Egypt would not die, and that is very much like an invitation to come to Christ and be saved, because “whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16b).

Passing Over
The Passover comes from the simple idea of God passing over the Israelites (with the lambs blood), but not over those who refused to believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. When the unleavened bread is to be eaten with bitter herbs, the unleavened bread may have served to remind them of their bitter enslavement in Egypt, and the New Testament is replete with references to sin being like leavening. It puffs up, it grows, and it expands. And leavening works the very quickest in lukewarm water (Rev 3:14-22).

When the Passover Lamb is sacrificed, it is a total sacrifice, which is why God commanded that, “They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted on the fire; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it” (Ex 12:8), and if “anything that remains until the morning you shall burn. In this manner you shall eat it: with your belt fastened, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. And you shall eat it in haste. It is the LORD’s Passover. For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD. The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt” (Ex 12:11-13).

A Cleansing
In Exodus 12:21-22, “Moses called all the elders of Israel and said to them, “Go and select lambs for yourselves according to your clans, and kill the Passover lamb. Take a bunch of hyssop and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and touch the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin. None of you shall go out of the door of his house until the morning.” Why was hyssop used? Hyssop is an herb in the mint family. It has cleansing, medicinal, and flavoring properties, but in ancient times, hyssop was used for ceremonial cleansing of people and houses.

David mentions hyssop in Psalm 51:7, writing, “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” David does not refer to physical cleansing, but rather, God cleansing him as he confessed his sins of adultery and murder. In the Old Testament, blood and hyssop purified a defiled person (Heb 9:19), so Jesus’ shed blood purifies us from the defilement of our sin, and perhaps why it’s no coincidence that the Apostle John writes that at the cross, “A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth” (John 19:29).

The ancient Israelites displayed the lamb’s blood on their doorposts; today, believers are to display their trust in Christ publically. Those who don’t receive Christ, and have the precious blood of the Lamb atone for their sins, will not have God’s wrath pass over them, but there is only a fearful expectation of falling into the hands of the living God (Heb 10:31) when judgment comes after death (Heb 9:27), or at Christ’s return; whichever comes first . Jesus Himself said, “I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him” (Luke 12:5)!

Conclusion
There are many more similarities between the Exodus and the gospel. For example, the Passover Lamb could not have any bones broken (Ex 12:46), which was also prophesied of Christ (Psalm 34:20), and fulfilled in the first century by Christ (John 19:31-36). Then, there’s the symbolism of coming out of Egypt, which represents our coming out of sin and the world. The Exodus also reminds us that God alone can bring us out of the world (John 15:5), just as He did with the ancient Israelite’s who were powerless to escape from Egypt on their own.

And finally, have you ever noticed that Pharaoh’s crown had a serpent on it? Since Egypt is symbolic of sin, surely Pharaoh represents Satan, and like the old serpent deceiver, he desires to keep us in bondage to sin, however, God has made a way (John 3:16-17; Acts 4:12). First of all, God demands a sacrifice, but it’s a sacrifice we can’t provide, so God provided a Lamb for Himself, just as “Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb” (Gen 22:8a), and it was provided in Himself in the spotless Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, Who is God. From Genesis (Gen 3:15) to Revelation (22), it’s all about Jesus Christ.

The late Dr. J. Vernon McGee (Through the Bible Ministries) said, “The Bible is a Him book…it’s all about Him,” and of course He’s right. You can see shadows and images in the Old Testament of Jesus’ coming atoning work on the cross. He is the spotless Lamb that makes even the vilest of sinners clean. It is just the Apostle Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 5:21: “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” That’s why none of us can boast (Eph 2:8-9).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Glorious Ressurection
And many of them that sleep
in the dust of the earth shall awake,
some to everlasting life,
and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Daniel 12:2

Therefore my heart is glad,
and my glory rejoiceth:
my flesh also shall rest in hope.

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell;
neither wilt thou suffer thine
Holy One to see corruption.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 16:9-11 KJV

Thy dead men shall live, together with
my dead body shall they arise.

Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust:
for thy dew is as the dew of herbs,
and the earth shall cast out the dead.

Isaiah 26:19 KJV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Forgiveness of Sin and Healing...
He forgiveth all thine inquities;
he healeth all thy diseases.

Psalm 103:3 KJV

And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.

Jeremiah 33:8 KJV

None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him.

Ezekiel 33:16a KJV

Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever. Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God.

Jeremiah 3:12,22 KJV

I will heal their backsliding,
I will love them freely:
for mine anger is turned away from him.

Hosea 14:4 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said ... Be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods.”

Daniel 3:16, 18

The narrative of the manly courage and marvellous deliverance of the three holy children, or rather champions, is well calculated to excite in the minds of believers firmness and steadfastness in upholding the truth in the teeth of tyranny and in the very jaws of death. Let young Christians especially learn from their example, both in matters of faith in religion, and matters of uprightness in business, never to sacrifice their consciences. Lose all rather than lose your integrity, and when all else is gone, still hold fast a clear conscience as the rarest jewel which can adorn the bosom of a mortal.

Be not guided by the will-o’-the-wisp of policy, but by the pole-star of divine authority. Follow the right at all hazards. When you see no present advantage, walk by faith and not by sight. Do God the honour to trust him when it comes to matters of loss for the sake of principle. See whether he will be your debtor! See if he doth not even in this life prove his word that “Godliness, with contentment, is great gain,” and that they who “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, shall have all these things added unto them.” Should it happen that, in the providence of God, you are a loser by conscience, you shall find that if the Lord pays you not back in the silver of earthly prosperity, he will discharge his promise in the gold of spiritual joy.

Remember that a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of that which he possesseth. To wear a guileless spirit, to have a heart void of offence, to have the favour and smile of God, is greater riches than the mines of Ophir could yield, or the traffic of Tyre could win. “Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and inward contention therewith.” An ounce of heart's-ease is worth a ton of gold.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pansy

Pansy was her name; Garbage was her game,
she made each can in town most every day –
She rode each alley there. She took what e’er she’d care,
then hopped her bike and quickly rode away.

She sang a funny tune and often acted like a loon;
the boys would taunt and call her awful names.
With sticks she chased and cried, and yelled that they had lied;
with shouting she would hurl back their profanes!

They teased her through the years, and often brought forth tears;
‘the story told’ in sin she slipped and fell.
They told her young heart broke, and caused her mind to stroke,
but never of her lover would they tell.

She’d braved the storms of life alone in poverty and strife;
her mind seemed gone when all was said and done.
Each day she picked the trash – ‘midst teasing verbal rash –
I’m sad to say of them, that I was one!

I chanced one day to find: a photo left behind –
it fell from in her purse – she’d often look.
It was of he and she -her beauty I could see –
but now so strange to view the toll time took!

From that day forth I vowed: her peace to be allowed;
I’d have this taunting, teasing, vigil stopped!
And by this simple act there came an-un-spoken pact –
between us distant friendship soon out-cropped.

We spoke but only twice, of how she’d paid the price:
to live alone this life that seemed so sad.
But memories of him, although sometimes so grim,
were all she had and made her heart feel glad.

I watched as time went by; with what she had she’d try,
to help the poor and sick – the needy old.
She gave as best she could: their simple needs she would
attend with food and clothes, and Heart of Gold.

She brought them laughs and cheer; when sick she’d hover near
and bring them aid if they had friend or kin.
In time I came to know, although it didn’t show,
to many she brought Love where none had been!

Now only memories bring . . . the way she used to sing
and heaven’s portals she has surely crossed.
The Lord forgave her sin and I pray that in the end –
She too forgave the sin . . . at her we tossed!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The dove found no rest for the sole of her foot.”

Genesis 8:9

Reader, can you find rest apart from the ark, Christ Jesus? Then be assured that your religion is vain. Are you satisfied with anything short of a conscious knowledge of your union and interest in Christ? Then woe unto you. If you profess to be a Christian, yet find full satisfaction in worldly pleasures and pursuits, your profession is false. If your soul can stretch herself at rest, and find the bed long enough, and the coverlet broad enough to cover her in the chambers of sin, then you are a hypocrite, and far enough from any right thoughts of Christ or perception of his preciousness.

But if, on the other hand, you feel that if you could indulge in sin without punishment, yet it would be a punishment of itself; and that if you could have the whole world, and abide in it for ever, it would be quite enough misery not to be parted from it; for your God — your God — is what your soul craves after; then be of good courage, thou art a child of God. With all thy sins and imperfections, take this to thy comfort: if thy soul has no rest in sin, thou are not as the sinner is! If thou art still crying after and craving after something better, Christ has not forgotten thee, for thou hast not quite forgotten him.

The believer cannot do without his Lord; words are inadequate to express his thoughts of him. We cannot live on the sands of the wilderness, we want the manna which drops from on high; our skin bottles of creature confidence cannot yield us a drop of moisture, but we drink of the rock which follows us, and that rock is Christ. When you feed on him your soul can sing, “He hath satisfied my mouth with good things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's,” but if you have him not, your bursting wine vat and well-filled barn can give you no sort of satisfaction: rather lament over them in the words of wisdom, “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity!”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Judge Me by the Footprints I Leave Behind

A story is told about a soldier who was finally coming home after having fought in Vietnam.
He called his parents from San Francisco.
“Mom and Dad, I’m coming home, but I’ve got a favor to ask. I have a friend I’d like to bring with me.”
“Sure,” they replied, “we’d love to meet him.”

“There’s something you should know the son continued, “he was hurt pretty badly in the fighting. He stepped on a land mined and lost an arm and a leg. He has nowhere else to go, and I want him to come live with us.”
“I’m sorry to hear that, son. Maybe we can help him find somewhere to live.”
“No, Mom and Dad, I want him to live with us.”

“Son,” said the father, “you don’t know what you’re asking. Someone with such a handicap would be a terrible burden on us. We have our own lives to live, and we can’t let something like this interfere with our lives. I think you should just come home and forget about this guy. He’ll find a way to live on his own.”
At that point, the son hung up the phone. The parents heard nothing more from him.

A few days later, however, they received a call from the San Francisco police. Their son had died after falling from a building, they were told. The police believed it was suicide. The grief-stricken parents flew to San Francisco and were taken to the city morgue to identify the body of their son. They recognized him, but to their horror they also discovered something they didn’t know, their son had only one arm and one leg.
The parents in this story are like many of us. We find it easy to love those who are good-looking or fun to have around, but we don’t like people who inconvenience us or make us feel uncomfortable. We would rather stay away from people who aren’t as healthy, beautiful, or smart as we are.

Thankfully, there’s someone who won’t treat us that way. Someone who loves us with an unconditional love that welcomes us into the forever family, regardless of how messed up we are.
Tonight, before you tuck yourself in for the night, say a little prayer that God will give you the strength you need to accept people as they are, and to help us all be more understanding of those who are different from us!!!

There’s a miracle called -Friendship- that dwells in the heart. You don’t know how it happens or when it gets started. But you know the special lift It always brings and you realize that Friendship Is God’s most precious gift!
Friends are a very rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they always want to open their hearts to us.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

2 Peter 1:4

Vanish for ever all thought of indulging the flesh if you would live in the power of your risen Lord. It were ill that a man who is alive in Christ should dwell in the corruption of sin. “Why seek ye the living among the dead?” said the angel to Magdalene. Should the living dwell in the sepulchre? Should divine life be immured in the charnel house of fleshly lust? How can we partake of the cup of the Lord and yet drink the cup of Belial?

Surely, believer, from open lusts and sins you are delivered: have you also escaped from the more secret and delusive lime-twigs of the Satanic fowler? Have you come forth from the lust of pride? Have you escaped from slothfulness? Have you clean escaped from carnal security? Are you seeking day by day to live above worldliness, the pride of life, and the ensnaring vice of avarice? Remember, it is for this that you have been enriched with the treasures of God. If you be indeed the chosen of God, and beloved by him, do not suffer all the lavish treasure of grace to be wasted upon you.

Follow after holiness; it is the Christian's crown and glory. An unholy church! it is useless to the world, and of no esteem among men. It is an abomination, hell's laughter, heaven's abhorrence. The worst evils which have ever come upon the world have been brought upon her by an unholy church. O Christian, the vows of God are upon you. You are God's priest: act as such. You are God's king: reign over your lusts. You are God's chosen: do not associate with Belial. Heaven is your portion: live like a heavenly spirit, so shall you prove that you have true faith in Jesus, for there cannot be faith in the heart unless there be holiness in the life.

“Lord, I desire to live as one
Who bears a blood-bought name,
As one who fears but grieving thee,
And knows no other shame.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
24 Things to Always Remember. . .
and One Thing to Never Forget
your presence is a present to the world.
You’re unique and one of a kind.
Your life can be what you want it to be.
Take the days just one at a time.

Count your blessings, not your troubles.
You’ll make it through whatever comes along.
Within you are so many answers.
Understand, have courage, be strong.

Don’t put limits on yourself.
So many dreams are waiting to be realized.
Decisions are too important to leave to chance.
Reach for your peak, your goal, and your prize.

Nothing wastes more energy than worrying.
The longer one carries a problem, the heavier it gets.
Don’t take things too seriously.
Live a life of serenity, not a life of regrets.

Remember that a little love goes a long way.
Remember that a lot . . . goes forever.
Remember that friendship is a wise investment.
Life’s treasures are people . . . together.

Realize that it’s never too late.
Do ordinary things in an extraordinary way.
Have heath and hope and happiness.

Take the time to wish upon a star.
And don’t ever forget . . .
For even a day . . .
How very special you are.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Waiting for the adoption.”

Romans 8:23

Even in this world saints are God's children, but men cannot discover them to be so, except by certain moral characteristics. The adoption is not manifested, the children are not yet openly declared. Among the Romans a man might adopt a child, and keep it private for a long time: but there was a second adoption in public; when the child was brought before the constituted authorities its former garments were taken off, and the father who took it to be his child gave it raiment suitable to its new condition of life.

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be.” We are not yet arrayed in the apparel which befits the royal family of heaven; we are wearing in this flesh and blood just what we wore as the sons of Adam; but we know that “when he shall appear” who is the “first-born among many brethren,” we shall be like him, we shall see him as he is. Cannot you imagine that a child taken from the lowest ranks of society, and adopted by a Roman senator, would say to himself, “I long for the day when I shall be publicly adopted. Then I shall leave off these plebeian garments, and be robed as becomes my senatorial rank”? Happy in what he has received, for that very reason he groans to get the fulness of what is promised him.

So it is with us today. We are waiting till we shall put on our proper garments, and shall be manifested as the children of God. We are young nobles, and have not yet worn our coronets. We are young brides, and the marriage day is not yet come, and by the love our Spouse bears us, we are led to long and sigh for the bridal morning. Our very happiness makes us groan after more; our joy, like a swollen spring, longs to well up like an Iceland geyser, leaping to the skies, and it heaves and groans within our spirit for want of space and room by which to manifest itself to men.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I got down on my knees today,
And said a prayer for you,
For you are always in my heart,
And I often think of you,

I asked the Lord to send his angels,
To protect my dearest friend,
I prayed that all the joy and happiness,
You have will never end,

I asked the Lord to comfort you,
When you are feeling blue,
And when you have a tear,
He’ll wipe away that too,

I asked the Lord to bless our friendship,
So our ways will never part,
For true friends always stick together,
For we’re in each others hearts.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.”

1 Corinthians 7:20

Some persons have the foolish notion that the only way in which they can live for God is by becoming ministers, missionaries, or Bible women. Alas! how many would be shut out from any opportunity of magnifying the Most High if this were the case. Beloved, it is not office, it is earnestness; it is not position, it is grace which will enable us to glorify God.

God is most surely glorified in that cobbler's stall, where the godly worker, as he plies the awl, sings of the Saviour's love, aye, glorified far more than in many a prebendal stall where official religiousness performs its scanty duties. The name of Jesus is glorified by the poor unlearned carter as he drives his horse, and blesses his God, or speaks to his fellow labourer by the roadside, as much as by the popular divine who, throughout the country, like Boanerges, is thundering out the gospel. God is glorified by our serving him in our proper vocations.

Take care, dear reader, that you do not forsake the path of duty by leaving your occupation, and take care you do not dishonour your profession while in it. Think little of yourselves, but do not think too little of your callings. Every lawful trade may be sanctified by the gospel to noblest ends. Turn to the Bible, and you will find the most menial forms of labour connected either with most daring deeds of faith, or with persons whose lives have been illustrious for holiness.

Therefore be not discontented with your calling. Whatever God has made your position, or your work, abide in that, unless you are quite sure that he calls you to something else. Let your first care be to glorify God to the utmost of your power where you are. Fill your present sphere to his praise, and if he needs you in another he will show it you. This evening lay aside vexatious ambition, and embrace peaceful content.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Friendship is a priceless gift
that cannot be bought or sold,
But its value is far greater
than a mountain made of gold.

For gold is cold and lifeless,
it can neither see nor hear
And in the time of trouble
it is powerless to cheer.

It has no ears to listen
nor heart to understand,
It cannot bring you comfort
or reach out a helping hand.

So when you ask God for a gift
Be thankful if He sends
Not diamonds, pearls, or riches
But the love of real true friends.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What The Bible Teaches About Loving Our Enemies

It’s easy to love those we know, but to even love our enemies? That’s what Jesus’ taught us to do, so here are some of the best Bible verses about loving our enemies.
You Have Heard it Said
In what must have amounted to a stunning teaching to the religious leaders of Jesus’ day, He said, “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy,’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matt 5:43-44). Did this mean the Jews who were under Roman rule should love their captives? Was what they “have heard” part of the Old Testament Law? What did Jesus mean by saying, “You have heard it said,” and who is it that said this? Was this part of the civil law of ancient Israel?

Modern scholarship believes that this saying wasn’t from in the Law but from the Scribes who interpreted the Law. There is no Old Testament Law anywhere that teaches we are to hate our enemies. God hated the pagan nation’s religions, which often included child sacrifice, but aliens were able to join themselves to Israel, provided they kept the Laws of God, and when Israel came out of their Egyptian bondage, there was a great, mixed multitude, likely containing of Israelites and some Egyptians, perhaps those who had witnessed the mighty miracles of God.

There might have even slaves from other nations, but when Jesus said, “You have heard that it was said,” we know hating your enemies was not part of the Law of God. More likely, He was referring to Jewish tradition, or a spurious law that was added by the Scribes in their translation of the Law. Regardless of the original source, it was not taught in the Old Testament, and it was not taught by Jesus Christ. He said to love our enemies, not hate them

Shattering the Norms
When Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman, He shattered the cultural norms of the day (John 4). He spoke with a woman in public and He spoke with a Samaritan woman which would have been unheard of in Jesus’ day. The Jews despised the Samaritans for various reasons, regarding them as a half-breed and traitors. The Samaritans were the remnants of the Northern Kingdom or ten Tribes of Israel, most of which had been taken away into captivity.

The few that remained intermarried with the pagans, so the Jews would never talk to a Samaritan, especially a woman, and would go out of their way to avoid traveling through Samaria, even if it meant having to travel an additional twenty miles, but Jesus, turning the cultural norms upside down, said Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you” (Luke 6:27-28). The Apostle Paul must have understood this principle taught by Jesus because he instructed the Christians in Rome to never avenge themselves against their persecutors, but, “To the contrary, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head” (Rom 12:20).

Good for Bad
Doing good to an enemy is a godly response to hatred. Remember that even “while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly” (Rom 5:6), “but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom 5:8). Even more astounding, while we were still yet “enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son” (Rom 5:10a). That is contrary to human nature because “one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die” (Rom 5:7), but to die for one’s enemy, and an ungodly, wicked one at that?!

Since God showed that much love toward us, then we ought to do the same for those who don’t know Christ yet. Paul doesn’t want us to have spiritual amnesia about our own past and get puffed about God saving us but not others. And God also doesn’t want us to judge those outside the church which are not yet saved, so in order to keep our salvation in perspective, he reminds us that “such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” (1 Cor 6:11). We are not better than the lost…just better offJames and John where called the Sons of Thunder, and we can see why when they actually wanted to call down fire down from heaven and have the village which rejected Jesus consumed by fire (Luke 9:54), but Jesus rebuked them for that (Luke 9:56). Had the disciples already forgotten that Jesus said, “whatever you wish that others would

do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets” (Matt 7:12)? I’m sure they wouldn’t want that for themselves. Had they not remembered Jesus’ saying, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God”(Matt 5:9)? Even in the Old Testament Proverbs they must have been familiar with the proverb that said, “If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink, for you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you” (Prov 25:21-22). We do not love our enemies in exchange for rewards from God.

We are told, “love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil” (Luke 6:35). Loving God and loving neighbor are the essence of the Law and the Prophets, so when Jesus gave the disciples a new commandment, it also had to do with loving others. Jesus said, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another” (John 13:34-35). We must love our enemies first, not expecting to be loved in return, because remember, “We love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19).

Conclusion
We do not give our enemies what they deserve….we give them what they need, and that is love. To love your enemies is to be more like God Who died for us while still His enemy (Rom 5:10), so take these Bible verses about loving your enemies to heart, and read them over a few times, or at least, mark them in your Bible. And, please share these with someone so they too can see how we are commanded to love our enemies.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Friendship is a priceless gift
that cannot be bought or sold,
But its value is far greater
than a mountain made of gold.

For gold is cold and lifeless,
it can neither see nor hear
And in the time of trouble
it is powerless to cheer.

It has no ears to listen
nor heart to understand,
It cannot bring you comfort
or reach out a helping hand.

So when you ask God for a gift
Be thankful if He sends
Not diamonds, pearls, or riches
But the love of real true friends.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Answers Our Prayers
Glorious Blessings Are Ours:
God our Creator Hears & Answers Prayer

For they will be a people blessed by the LORD, they and their descendants with them. Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.

Isaiah 65:23b,24 NIV

Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:12,13 NIV

They will call on My name,
And I will answer them;

I will say,
"They are My people,'

And they will say,
"The LORD is my God.'

Zechariah 13:9 NASB