• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just an observation on hanging of National Day Flags

Alfrescian
Loyal
On returning to SG and visited one of my friend in Mi Casa condo at CCK this afternoon. On arrival was surprised to see that the condo has been well decorated with Singapore flags. Complimented him that his condo is now so colorful and nice. He told me that the SG flag was given and encouraged to hang it out the window even though he was a bit reluctant. I told him it is well meaningful and alright to do so because it is our country's National Day. It is not of any political party's Day.

However, when I look around the area I observed that most of the HDB flats it isn't any flags was hanged out, only those blocks that are decorated by the RC. I felt sadden comparative with last year and I think this year is bad and seem to me that the reflections of the people are loosing their interest. I hope is not, what you think leh :eek: :smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
i'm praying hard that there will be holiday when old fart dies.
6 months of holiday to commemorate his birth, 6 months of holiday to mark his passing. running consecutively for years on end. only a person of his grandeur is deserving of such commemoration :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

altogether now!!! HUAT AH!!!

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i'm praying hard that there will be holiday when old fart dies.
6 months of holiday to commemorate his birth, 6 months of holiday to mark his passing. running consecutively for years on end. only a person of his grandeur is deserving of such commemoration :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

altogether now!!! HUAT AH!!!

7 x 7 = 49 months of holidays lah.................:biggrin:

the whole country all must wear black armband.............all must go vegan...........all other holidays cannot celebrate..........:p

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
7 x 7 = 49 months of holidays lah.................:biggrin:

the whole country all must wear black armband.............all must go vegan...........all other holidays cannot celebrate..........:p

make that 7 x 7 = 49 years instead!

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last time have to pay for a flag. Nowadays, pump petrol also got free flags free decals. :kma:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, when I look around the area I observed that most of the HDB flats it isn't any flags was hanged out, only those blocks that are decorated by the RC. I felt sadden comparative with last year and I think this year is bad and seem to me that the reflections of the people are loosing their interest. I hope is not, what you think leh :eek: :smile:

obviously you did not notice enough. the Flag was placed by our neighborhoot ahneh cleaners under instruction from TC and it lasted 2 years under sun n rain, when it departed, it was left in tatters of tear and bits. it don't it's part for every cent worth of public money.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
the flag reminds me of pappies and cronies...:mad:

you should drap yourself in one if you wanna outdo the rest of the cronies

article-1290765054455-0c3b4164000005dc-762072_636x300.jpg

it will not only bring you jesus and recruitment manager for PAP, but hordes of aunties seeking out big rape banana

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On returning to SG and visited one of my friend in Mi Casa condo at CCK this afternoon. On arrival was surprised to see that the condo has been well decorated with Singapore flags. Complimented him that his condo is now so colorful and nice. He told me that the SG flag was given and encouraged to hang it out the window even though he was a bit reluctant. I told him it is well meaningful and alright to do so because it is our country's National Day. It is not of any political party's Day.

This is not something new or unique to CCK. It happens everywhere.

Basically, if the dwelling faces a main road, is near a MRT station or houses a RC, it will be plastered with flags and National Day decorations.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not only just flags and banners.

At the hotbeds of RC control, you'll also find a Soviet-style billboard erected for the occasion.

Do a Google search for 'Singapore national day billboard'.

Here is an example.

7674293502_c1a8767159_z.jpg

Compare:

the-toxic-uzbek-town-and-its-museum-of-banned-soviet-art-article-body-image-1398473738.jpg

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY said it before, PAP is Govt and Govt is PAP. Since sinkies are disgusted with Paps, many sinkies could not bother about flying the flags. The por-lan-pars RC go round asking sinkies to buy flags to hang but few obliged. RC forced to hang the flags free of charge.

Under the paps, the country is sliding down the drain

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY said it before, PAP is Govt and Govt is PAP. Since sinkies are disgusted with Paps, many sinkies could not bother about flying the flags. The por-lan-pars RC go round asking sinkies to buy flags to hang but few obliged. RC forced to hang the flags free of charge.

This always makes for good reading as August 9th approaches.

CONSUMING THE NATION: NATIONAL DAY PARADES IN SINGAPORE
http://www.nzasia.org.nz/downloads/NZJAS-Dec01/Leong.pdf

Contestations over the meaning of National Day have taken place in the
letters (‘Forum’) page of the news media (The Straits Times, 3 September
1994, 15 September 1994, 8 September 1995). The debates concerned the
representation of the national flag. One reader wrote that hanging the flag on
the patio or window-sill of an apartment is an expression of patriotism. Noting
that half of the population, especially those living in private housing, did not
display flags, he concluded that these Singaporeans had no love for their
country and urged the government to penalise these delinquents. In rebuttal, a
second reader charged that patriotic fervour could not be gauged by the flying
of the flag in one’s apartment.

The polysemic meanings of the national flag clearly depend on the
context of consumption. Part of the meaning of the flag is circumscribed by
the state, which stipulates the time of the year the flag can be displayed. The
differentials in flag display in public housing estates depend on the location of
apartment blocks. Residents of blocks that flank the main street are given free
flags, while residents of older housing estates and of blocks tucked away in
obscure corners do not receive the flags free. Those who belong to and
participate in the para-political institutions of the dominant political party
(PAP), like community centers and resident committees, also receive the flags
as gifts.

Because the ruling political party in Singapore is a dominant party, and
claims to represent ‘Singapore’, there is a conflation between Singapore and
the PAP. By association, the Singapore flag takes on the meaning of the PAP
too. The differential distribution of flags based on support for PAP institutions
reinforces this conflation. Thus, Singaporeans who resist the flag do so in
order to dissociate themselves from others who are PAP supporters or
sycophants (The Straits Times, 3 September 1994). Those who are able to
differentiate between loyalty to the nation and loyalty to the PAP thus refuse
to hang the flag.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Familee = PAP = Government = Singapore. Singapore money go where?

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the flag reminds me of pappies and cronies...:mad:

No chump, it reminds you that you are Singaporean, regardless whether you are a PAPpies, SDPies, WPies, Deform Party IB, NSPpies or neutrals.

Government come and go, but we are Singaporeans.

You can be lazy and don't bother to hang the flag.

That is fine. But please get your facts correct..