• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Job Credit Scheme working? :oIo:

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: The 48—year—old made the journey from her home in Boon Lay to an office in Middle Road for a job interview — only to be told she was "too old".

The job Ms Jennifer De Souza was applying for? A telemarketer.

"I was so angry I demanded my bus fare back," she told TODAY. "Age should not be a factor in this line of work. If I’m willing to work, what’s the problem?"

Mature workers, like Ms De Souza, have found it harder to get employment in the first quarter of the year, according to labour market figures released by the Manpower Ministry on Monday.

Nearly six in 10 who were unemployed for more than six months were such workers. Compared with the same period last year, the number of long—term jobless people has doubled from 7,500 to 16,600 this year. And familiar faces have been turning up at meet—the—people—sessions, Members of Parliament have stated.

These jobseekers cite a combination of age, skills and education qualifications as obstacles to their re—employment.

Those with secondary education or lower are the hardest hit. Ms De Souza, who has O—level qualifications, for example, sent out more than 600 job applications over six months before she finally landed a job as an administrator in April.

To help mature workers overcome any physical limitation, labour MP Halimah Yacob suggested employers consider reducing working hours — from eight to six or even to four hours — to allow flexibility.

However, even as various options — such as re—training, job matching and highlighting vacancies — have been made available to mature jobseekers, some have been adamant as to the kind of jobs they would do.

MP Cynthia Phua said some insist on being hired as security guards even though jobs as cleaners are readily available.

At Punggol Central, residents not matched with job offers are given other helping hands: The Sengkang Community Club lent out 14 pushcarts and also entrusted its car park to four elderly residents to manage. The residents take home any profits.

Mr Goh Cher Chye, 53, takes home between S$70 and S$300 a month selling toys from a pushcart. Even though he is grateful for the help provided, Mr Goh’s wife had to re—enter the workforce to supplement the family’s income.

Ms De Souza, who is single, is slightly better off — her S$800 monthly salary helps to cover the monthly S$500 HDB mortgage.

"It is not great, but it beats sitting around at home," she said.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
MP Cynthia Phua said some insist on being hired as security guards even though jobs as cleaners are readily available.

If you are a diploma or degree holder and being told as above, are you prepared to accept it.:rolleyes:

We can only lower our expectation by so much?!:mad:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To me, it's very clear that the Job Credit Scheme is not working. Why do I feel this way? Very simple, the defeaning silence of the media - no mention of the scheme anymore. If it's successful or just even worked a small degree, I'd expect trumpets.

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
logo_bt.png

<blink>Ngiam unimpressed by Jobs Credit scheme</blink>
By CHEW XIANG
Published July 17, 2009

BT_IMAGES_CXNGIAM17.jpg

Mr Ngiam: It's better to have methodical restructuring to upgrade skills and infrastructure, improve education

THE government's Jobs Credit scheme is 'one glaring example' of a misconceived stimulus programme, according to former top civil servant Ngiam Tong Dow.

Writing in the July issue of Inter Se, a magazine published by the Singapore Academy of Law, Mr Ngiam said: 'How a country like Singapore, which is a price taker, can sustain wage subsidies is beyond my comprehension.'

Mr Ngiam, now an adjunct professor at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), added: 'By whatever name policymakers may call 'job credit schemes', they are wage subsidies which an open economy like ourselves can never sustain.'

He also had harsh words in general for most stimulus programmes. 'In my view, many of the stimulus programmes are misconceived,' he said. 'What is even more puzzling is how bailouts can 'stimulate' an economy,' he said, noting that such programmes in the US prop up assets at inflated prices which would exacerbate the problem.

'Overleveraged financial assets should be allowed to decline in value to more realistic levels . . . only then would there be willing buyers for these toxic products.'

Better for Singapore than soft stimulus packages would be methodical restructuring to upgrade skills, beef up infrastructure and raise knowledge domains through higher education, Mr Ngiam said.

'Those who are not our friends are already pointing out that our export-oriented economic model will no longer work in the new, post-crisis global economy. As our costs rise, we will no longer be able to compete with the BRIC economies in the production of goods and services,' he said.

The solution is that we should not produce goods and services only in or from Singapore, he said. Mr Ngiam pointed to the success of Singapore Airlines in transcending the country's limitations in size and said Singapore should try to export knowledge and leverage on the resources of other countries to increase gross national product, rather than simply gross domestic product.

The country will also have to rely on itself. 'Enduring achievements have to be won by the people from within,' he said. 'We need to wean ourselves from our recently acquired habit of hiring outside consultants or foreign CEOs to do the job for us.'

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
This 48-year old is a loser, unlike many winners in her age group

Because she is 48 but behaves like 18, thinks world owes her a living, and show anger immediately

Don't burn bridges except with fraudulent Western bankers that young Pinkerton Singaporeans love to carry balls for

SINGAPORE: The 48—year—old made the journey from her home in Boon Lay to an office in Middle Road for a job interview — only to be told she was "too old".

"I was so angry I demanded my bus fare back," she told TODAY. "Age should not be a factor in this line of work. If I’m willing to work, what’s the problem?"

Mature workers, like Ms De Souza, have found it harder to get employment in the first quarter of the year, according to labour market figures released by the Manpower Ministry on Monday.

Nearly six in 10 who were unemployed for more than six months were such workers. Compared with the same period last year, the number of long—term jobless people has doubled from 7,500 to 16,600 this year. And familiar faces have been turning up at meet—the—people—sessions, Members of Parliament have stated.

These jobseekers cite a combination of age, skills and education qualifications as obstacles to their re—employment.

Those with secondary education or lower are the hardest hit. Ms De Souza, who has O—level qualifications, for example, sent out more than 600 job applications over six months before she finally landed a job as an administrator in April.

To help mature workers overcome any physical limitation, labour MP Halimah Yacob suggested employers consider reducing working hours — from eight to six or even to four hours — to allow flexibility.

However, even as various options — such as re—training, job matching and highlighting vacancies — have been made available to mature jobseekers, some have been adamant as to the kind of jobs they would do.

At Punggol Central, residents not matched with job offers are given other helping hands: The Sengkang Community Club lent out 14 pushcarts and also entrusted its car park to four elderly residents to manage. The residents take home any profits.

Mr Goh Cher Chye, 53, takes home between S$70 and S$300 a month selling toys from a pushcart. Even though he is grateful for the help provided, Mr Goh’s wife had to re—enter the workforce to supplement the family’s income.

Ms De Souza, who is single, is slightly better off — her S$800 monthly salary helps to cover the monthly S$500 HDB mortgage.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Jobs Credit Scheme helps me cut labour costs tremendously. With the extra cash, I can expand my business, go holiday, buy property, etc

This Ngiam sits in his ivory tower and comment comment comment like a typical academic

Come out into the real world and take action not talk cock

logo_bt.png

<blink>Ngiam unimpressed by Jobs Credit scheme</blink>
By CHEW XIANG
Published July 17, 2009

BT_IMAGES_CXNGIAM17.jpg

Mr Ngiam: It's better to have methodical restructuring to upgrade skills and infrastructure, improve education

THE government's Jobs Credit scheme is 'one glaring example' of a misconceived stimulus programme, according to former top civil servant Ngiam Tong Dow.

Writing in the July issue of Inter Se, a magazine published by the Singapore Academy of Law, Mr Ngiam said: 'How a country like Singapore, which is a price taker, can sustain wage subsidies is beyond my comprehension.'

Mr Ngiam, now an adjunct professor at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), added: 'By whatever name policymakers may call 'job credit schemes', they are wage subsidies which an open economy like ourselves can never sustain.'

He also had harsh words in general for most stimulus programmes. 'In my view, many of the stimulus programmes are misconceived,' he said. 'What is even more puzzling is how bailouts can 'stimulate' an economy,' he said, noting that such programmes in the US prop up assets at inflated prices which would exacerbate the problem.

'Overleveraged financial assets should be allowed to decline in value to more realistic levels . . . only then would there be willing buyers for these toxic products.'

Better for Singapore than soft stimulus packages would be methodical restructuring to upgrade skills, beef up infrastructure and raise knowledge domains through higher education, Mr Ngiam said.

'Those who are not our friends are already pointing out that our export-oriented economic model will no longer work in the new, post-crisis global economy. As our costs rise, we will no longer be able to compete with the BRIC economies in the production of goods and services,' he said.

The solution is that we should not produce goods and services only in or from Singapore, he said. Mr Ngiam pointed to the success of Singapore Airlines in transcending the country's limitations in size and said Singapore should try to export knowledge and leverage on the resources of other countries to increase gross national product, rather than simply gross domestic product.

The country will also have to rely on itself. 'Enduring achievements have to be won by the people from within,' he said. 'We need to wean ourselves from our recently acquired habit of hiring outside consultants or foreign CEOs to do the job for us.'

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anybody also would want to be security guard man. Cleaner is sai kang, and somemore pay so low also, cheh!

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal

So! This is the Swiss Standard 0f Living promised by the Pappies??!!! With this standard we can't even beat the Swaziland's Standard of the Dead!!!

P. A. P.................:oIo:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But Jobs Credit Scheme helps me cut labour costs tremendously. With the extra cash, I can expand my business, go holiday, buy property, etc

If you are a businessman then you would know that there are many costs that the PAP are responsible for pushing up: transport, rentals, utilities,...

Why don't you take your case with your friendly PAP MP.

While you're at it ask them to take a pay cut.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a businessman then you would know that there are many costs that the PAP are responsible for pushing up: transport, rentals, utilities,...

Why don't you take your case with your friendly PAP MP.

While you're at it ask them to take a pay cut.

How good is your French mate? :wink:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal

OLD-LADY-MIDDLE-FINGER.jpg

Old ppl cannot work as telemarketers?! CCB *&(#$%!!!

Nowadays many companies are f**king CCB. Job market bad, so they will purposely screw the unemployed.

There should be a list of these companies made public.

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually there are missing words in the Jobs Credit scheme name. It is Jobs Credited to PAP and more Bonuses for PAP Scheme. Every single job that is in Singapore is credited to the powers that be.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually there are missing words in the Jobs Credit scheme name. It is Jobs Credited to PAP and more Bonuses for PAP Scheme. Every single job that is in Singapore is credited to the powers that be.

BeijingBicycles.jpg

Ah Tiongs: Wo men lai qiang Xin Jia Po Ren de gong zuo le! :p
(We are here to snatch Sinkees' jobs le!) :p

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
5a70ecda.gif

Job losses double in Q2
July 31, 2009

JobSeekers-ST.jpg

Job seekers at a recruitment booth at Paya Lebar MRT station. Despite the economic situation, the construction sector is still going strong, adding 3,400 jobs to its workforce. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM

SOME 12,400 jobs in Singapore were lost in the second quarter, double the losses in the first three months when 6,200 workers were laid off, said the Ministry of Manpower on Friday.

This is the first time that employment has contracted for two consecutive quarters since the 2003 economic downturn.

On a non-seasonally adjusted basis, the overall unemployment rate rose from 3 per cent in March to 4.2 per cent in June.

Among the resident labour force, the non-adjusted unemployment rate was 6 per cent in June, higher than the 4.4 per cent in the previous quarter, reflecting the increase in job seekers as tertiary graduates entered the labour market and students sought employment during the mid-year school vacation.

An estimated 116,600 residents were jobless in June. The seasonally adjusted figure was 91,800.

Manufacturing again bore the brunt of job losses, shedding 17,600 workers.

The construction sector is still going strong, adding 3,400 jobs to its workforce, but the gains were lower than in earlier quarters - 8,300 in the first quarter and 22,400 in the same quarter a year ago.

Services added 2,100 workers, also showing lower gains than before - 7,500 in the first quarter and 38,300 in the same period last year.

According to preliminary estimates, 4,800 workers were retrenched and 700 contracts were terminated prematurely, resulting in a total of 5,500 workers made redundant in the second quarter. This is less than half the 12,760 redundancies in the earlier three months, comprising 10,900 workers retrenched and 1,860 workers whose contracts were terminated prematurely.

MOM said the overall unemployment rate stabilised at a seasonally adjusted 3.3 per cent in June, unchanged from a quarter ago.

Among the resident labour force, the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate fell from 4.8 per cent in March to 4.6 per cent in June.

"In the difficult job market, more people are deferring job searches and pursuing courses, including those supported under SPUR," said MOM, referring to the Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience (Spur) which covers worker training.

Jobless residents who attend Spur will not be counted in the unemployment pool, hence reducing the jobless rate.

The full report on the second quarter labour market will be released on Sept 15.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah lor, signapore population aging, but the employee still stuck in old thinking.
pap better make some law to make them change. if not. there will be trouble soon.