• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB/SG Crimewatch

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Living in JB 3 (Johore)

...Psycho went around leaving corrosive liquid on MRT/bus-stops.......suspect apprehended.
Cyclist/pedestrian get mowed down every other day......
Civil services Chiefs/lecturer/teachers/ abused position of authority/power to get sex favors......
Tens of underaged prostitute's clients charged and facing charges.....

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

...Psycho went around leaving corrosive liquid on MRT/bus-stops.......suspect apprehended.
Civil services Chiefs/lecturer/teachers/ abused position of authority/power to get sex favors......

These are normal citizens. Government is still very clean and well-behaved. (Sorry, ex-MPs and Speaker of Parliament not counted hor!)

LordEthan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi, hope you guys are not fighting for this title. I give this title a walkover. Singapore can have this one :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Bro Wuqi

Oh come on! That is not going to lead to Singapore usurping Johor's position as a dangerous location! The island is very safe! Our Government has told us so.

Unfortunately, people only see crime from afar but not aware that it is happening on their own doorsteps.
Sadly, the recent rape at Kallang Bahru (not Johor Bahru) proved the Exchange Student (below) right.

Older one: http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/s..._at_clarke_quay_after_girl_shouts_molest.html

Newer one, unfortunately no one did anything:
http://therealsingapore.com/content...d-me-when-i-got-molested-publicly-clarke-quay

Hey, I am a female exchange student who has been in Singapore for a term now. I have managed to fall in love with this country on so many levels during this time. Everything from the food to the and I have come to point where I feel like Singapore is my second home.

Yesterday however and incident occurred that made me pity Singapore and its people. Me and three of my girlfriends where hanging out in Clarke Quay. We were sober and was having a good time. At this point an older very large white man shows up and starts to talk very disrespectfully with us. Initially we ignore him and following I tell him to go away. The incident later escalates and the man starts approaching me. He keeps touching me and I keep pushing him off and at one point I tell him to move back and leave us alone or I would punch him. At this point the man literally has his chest at my head level and says "what are you going to do?". I push him away as hard as I can and start screaming at the top of my voice. I tell him to leave me alone and to stop following me and stop touching me. My friends are screaming at this point too and pulling me off from the scene.

What bothers me is that this happened in the middle of Clarke Quay. We were surrounded by grown men and people and NOT ONE PERSON REACTED!!! One guy even took out his phone to film the situation.

I am not expecting people to act like a night in shining armour, or to come and punch this guy. I am expecting people to have the balls to stand up for you opinions. To react to injustice, to make your voice heard. I expect that weather its men or women to take a stand.

You read about incidents of violence and abuse and even rape happening in public and people not reacting to it. Yesterday I witnessed it. Singapore is a country where a girl could be raped/abused/harassed in the middle of street and nobody would react even though she screams for help on top of her voice.

There may be some of you that will think that I should just have walked away and that I brought this on my self. If had only walked away I would be the victim. I refuse to be the victim. Unlike most girls I made myself heard and hopefully next time the asshole tries to harass girl he will think twice.

I dont feel like a victim, but I feel pity for you Singapore. You pride yourself in artificial decor. You make mandatory millitary service for the men in your country, yet you have failed to build MEN in your country.

I ask of you admin to post this, not as complaint on this country, but an indicator for people to start standing up. To remember to treat your women as your peers because in the end, to quote Mr. Brown "This IS a mans world, but it would be nothing without a women..."

Disappointed Exchange Student

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I dont feel like a victim, but I feel pity for you Singapore. You pride yourself in artificial decor. You make mandatory millitary service for the men in your country, yet you have failed to build MEN in your country.

Though to certain extent i do agree Sporean man NO BALLS.

But having said, with the influx of thousands and thousands of FTs and migrants from all over the world, those grown men surrounding her could be well FTs. Not necessarily Sporeans.

Last edited:

pockaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think there is any public statistics about the crime situation in SG. Even if there is, depends on who publishes it, you might need to discount those numbes. Statistics do lie, we all know that.

I think the key difference in crime between the 2 cities is really down to the potential degree of violence in crimes.

Also I also think the white collar crime situation in SG - those abuse of power/position and what now - is a lot more serious than the media leads us to believe. It is not just the top decks anymore. It would appear to me this culture of abuse infected the middle decks too.

pockaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal

You read about incidents of violence and abuse and even rape happening in public and people not reacting to it. Yesterday I witnessed it. Singapore is a country where a girl could be raped/abused/harassed in the middle of street and nobody would react even though she screams for help on top of her voice. [/U]
[/B]

Ok that is a bit of an exaggeration. However I can fully empathise with her feelings. And I certainly hope no such thing will befall on any woman here or anywhere in the world.

She summed it up succinctly what we already know. Despite all the grandeur and illusion of a first world city state, the country has no soul.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

To be fair, actually there is one but not really highlighted:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/stats/stats_doc/stats_selected_areasconcern08.pdf

There is even an infomap based on the type of crime committed.
http://www.spf.gov.sg/infomap/infomap_index.htm

Orchard:
http://www.spf.gov.sg/infomap/orchard.htm

Crime Statistics (July - September 2011)

Crime Cases
Robbery 2
Housebreaking 4
Snatch Theft 2

Motor Vehicle Theft 0
Outrage of Modesty 27

Jurong West:

Crime Cases
Robbery 3
Housebreaking 2
Snatch Theft 2
Motor Vehicle Theft 14
Outrage of Modesty 10

Pasir Ris:

Crime Cases
Robbery 2
Housebreaking 3
Snatch Theft 1
Motor Vehicle Theft 5
Outrage of Modesty 12

Sengkang:

Crime Cases
Robbery 0
Housebreaking 0
Snatch Theft 2
Motor Vehicle Theft 5
Outrage of Modesty

Bukit Merah East:

Crime Cases
Robbery 2
Housebreaking 3
Snatch Theft 4
Motor Vehicle Theft 3
Outrage of Modesty 12

Seems Bukit Timah quite safe, only 1 case of house breaking and 5 motor vehicle thefts:

Crime Cases
Robbery 0
Housebreaking 1
Snatch Theft 0
Motor Vehicle Theft 5
Outrage of Modesty 3

Latest:

Key Crime Concerns Of 2012

Phone Scam cases drop but amount cheated remains significant

Although there is good news that phone scams have dropped, it is still a major concern as the total amount of money cheated remains high and significant.

Lucky Draw Scams

For lucky draw phone scams involving money cheated, there was a drop of 2 cases from 183 cases in 2011 to 181 cases in 2012. However, the total amount of money cheated increased by about $1 million - from $6.4 million in 2011 to $7.4 million in 2012. Although the number of cases has fallen, the large amounts cheated in lucky draw phone scams remain a concern.

In creating awareness and educating the community on preventive measures against Kidnap scams, Police have disseminated advisories to highlight the modus operandi of these scammers as well as published advertorials through various media channels. An episode on kidnap scams was also featured on Crimewatch to reach out to the public. It has also been uploaded on the Police Youtube Channel. We encourage the public to visit our channel to know more about crime prevention. (please refer to Annex D for details)

Kidnap scams

On a more positive note, the situation on ‘kidnap’ phone scams has improved. There was a drop of 21 cases (-48%), from 44 cases in 2011 to 23 cases in 2012. The total amount of money cheated has also decreased from $255,638 in 2011 to $131,928 in 2012. Nevertheless, Police will continue to alert the public of such trends.

More Outrage of Modesty cases on Buses and Trains

Outrage of Modesty cases reported have increased by 18 cases (+1%) from 1,396 cases in 2011 to 1,414 cases in 2012. More Outrage of Modesty cases were reported on board buses and trains, with an increase of 39 cases (+34%) reported from 114 cases in 2011 to 153 cases in 2012.

Police will continue to remind the public to adopt preventive measures to avoid falling prey to Outrage of Modesty . Public education materials - including posters, banners and advertorials - have been prominently put up in places with large crowds such as train stations, bus stops and entertainment spots where culprits may take the opportunity to strike. (refer to Annex E for details)

http://www.spf.gov.sg/stats/stats2012_concerns.htm

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Ok that is a bit of an exaggeration. However I can fully empathise with her feelings. And I certainly hope no such thing will befall on any woman here or anywhere in the world.

She summed it up succinctly what we already know. Despite all the grandeur and illusion of a first world city state, the country has no soul.

Rape/forced oral sex has happened to people i know in their own HDB block. Shattered my illusion of safety totally.

By Maureen Koh
The New Paper
Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013

SINGAPORE - He calls her "love" and she responds with "my baby".

She is, he says, both his mother and father. He is, she says, her light out of the darkness.

But beneath this love which mother and son share lies a sordid secret that few, except for immediate family and very close friends, know.

He is no love child, but one who was conceived after she was raped by at least three men. She was so drunk that she cannot remember exact details.

Not that she wants to.

It's a past that Alexis tries not to revisit, she admits readily in an interview with The New Paper on Sunday.

"I have moved on with my life," says the 49-year-old administrator and part-time security guard. Her son is now 20.

We are not using the woman's real name to protect her identity, and that of her son. It is also against the law to identify rape victims in Singapore.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/slw...-gets-14-years-jail-for-rape-and-robbery.html

Man gets 14 years' jail for rape and robbery Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email
Source
Straits Times
Date
25 Apr 2013
AuthorSelina Lum
He went after victim with knife while she was on her way home

A JOBLESS man who raped and robbed a woman at knifepoint as she made her way home was sentenced to 14 years in jail and 24 strokes of the cane yesterday.

Tan Jun Hui, 30, pleaded guilty in the High Court last week to one count each of armed robbery, aggravated rape and attempted aggravated sexual assault.

Two other charges - aggravated outrage of modesty and possession of uncensored films - were taken into consideration.

Tan had spotted the victim, a 21-year-old civil servant, at the lift lobby of her block of flats in the early hours of Nov 16, 2010, after she got out of a taxi.

He decided to rob her and went back to his car, parked near the block in the western part of Singapore, to get a 21cm knife.

Before the lift door closed, Tan dashed in with the woman and pressed the lift button for the ninth floor, the highest level in the block.

When the lift reached the second floor, where she lived, she was about to walk out but Tan pulled her back in.

She handed over $200 after he threatened her with the knife.

When the lift door opened on the ninth floor, he dragged her to a staircase and robbed her of two mobile phones.

Tan then tried to force her to perform oral sex on him but she resisted.

He then raped her at the staircase landing.

After he left, she dressed herself, picked up the knife he left behind and went home to tell her parents what happened.

Police later found Tan by tracking the mobile phones which he got someone to help him sell.

The prosecution had sought a jail term of 15 years, arguing that Tan's "heinous offences" had traumatised the victim.

But Tan's lawyer, Mr B. Mahtani, had argued that his client, who is married with a five-year-old daughter, had acted in a "moment of foolishness".

He said Tan was "highly intoxicated" as he had drinks while celebrating his wife's birthday with the family and after that, with his friends at a karaoke lounge.

The lawyer said it was a one-off incident and Tan was sorry.

[email protected]

Source: Straits Times © Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Permission required for reproduction.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
[video=youtube;acjojR4jrWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acjojR4jrWg[/video]

A long ago case that some of my friends were involved in. RIP Vignes.

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal

To be fair, actually there is one but not really highlighted:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/stats/stats_doc/stats_selected_areasconcern08.pdf

There is even an infomap based on the type of crime committed.
http://www.spf.gov.sg/infomap/infomap_index.htm

Orchard:
http://www.spf.gov.sg/infomap/orchard.htm

Crime Cases
Robbery 2
Housebreaking 4
Snatch Theft 2

Motor Vehicle Theft 0
Outrage of Modesty 27

Jurong West:

Crime Cases
Robbery 3
Housebreaking 2
Snatch Theft 2
Motor Vehicle Theft 14
Outrage of Modesty 10

Pasir Ris:

Crime Cases
Robbery 2
Housebreaking 3
Snatch Theft 1
Motor Vehicle Theft 5
Outrage of Modesty 12

Sengkang:

Crime Cases
Robbery 0
Housebreaking 0
Snatch Theft 2
Motor Vehicle Theft 5
Outrage of Modesty

Bukit Merah East:

Crime Cases
Robbery 2
Housebreaking 3
Snatch Theft 4
Motor Vehicle Theft 3
Outrage of Modesty 12

Seems Bukit Timah quite safe, only 1 case of house breaking and 5 motor vehicle thefts:

Crime Cases
Robbery 0
Housebreaking 1
Snatch Theft 0
Motor Vehicle Theft 5
Outrage of Modesty 3

Latest:

Key Crime Concerns Of 2012

Phone Scam cases drop but amount cheated remains significant

Although there is good news that phone scams have dropped, it is still a major concern as the total amount of money cheated remains high and significant.

Lucky Draw Scams

For lucky draw phone scams involving money cheated, there was a drop of 2 cases from 183 cases in 2011 to 181 cases in 2012. However, the total amount of money cheated increased by about $1 million - from $6.4 million in 2011 to $7.4 million in 2012. Although the number of cases has fallen, the large amounts cheated in lucky draw phone scams remain a concern.

In creating awareness and educating the community on preventive measures against Kidnap scams, Police have disseminated advisories to highlight the modus operandi of these scammers as well as published advertorials through various media channels. An episode on kidnap scams was also featured on Crimewatch to reach out to the public. It has also been uploaded on the Police Youtube Channel. We encourage the public to visit our channel to know more about crime prevention. (please refer to Annex D for details)

Kidnap scams

On a more positive note, the situation on ‘kidnap’ phone scams has improved. There was a drop of 21 cases (-48%), from 44 cases in 2011 to 23 cases in 2012. The total amount of money cheated has also decreased from $255,638 in 2011 to $131,928 in 2012. Nevertheless, Police will continue to alert the public of such trends.

More Outrage of Modesty cases on Buses and Trains

Outrage of Modesty cases reported have increased by 18 cases (+1%) from 1,396 cases in 2011 to 1,414 cases in 2012. More Outrage of Modesty cases were reported on board buses and trains, with an increase of 39 cases (+34%) reported from 114 cases in 2011 to 153 cases in 2012.

Police will continue to remind the public to adopt preventive measures to avoid falling prey to Outrage of Modesty . Public education materials - including posters, banners and advertorials - have been prominently put up in places with large crowds such as train stations, bus stops and entertainment spots where culprits may take the opportunity to strike. (refer to Annex E for details)

http://www.spf.gov.sg/stats/stats2012_concerns.htm
....looks like Molest is a daily occurrence all over Sg....

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear all, please for your own safety, even for those who insists on SG being safe (i don't want to argue) but for the sake of your own safety, please
avoid Geylang at least for now. Too many fights going on for my liking:

blood.jpg

http://www.tnp.sg/content/2-fights-geylang

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Earlier in Jan:
http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...y/man-injured-apparent-fight-geylang-20130104

By Lim Yi Han
A man, in his 40s, is lying in hospital, recovering from what was an apparent fight that left a bloody scene on a Geylang road at about 1.15am on Friday.

He is now believed to be in a stable condition at Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

Police said they received a call for assistance at about 1.15am at Geylang Lorong 17. When the officers arrived, they found the victim lying injured, but conscious.

A spokesman for the Singapore Civil Defence Force said that an ambulance was dispatched to the scene, and the man had "sustained serious injuries".

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Older news, please guys, this did not happened last year but back in 2007. For the benefit of those who told me that it was an urban legend, sharing this as someone just sent this to me:

http://reallife.stomp.com.sg/stomp/...id_crowd_threw_rocks_and_bottles_at_cops.html

Geylang raid: Crowd threw rocks and bottles at cops
26 Mar 2010

THE four policemen went undercover to look for illegal activities in a Geylang backlane.

But the operation quickly turned ugly when they arrested one person at a makeshift gambling stall.

A crowd of about 200 people gathered around the officers and threw whatever they could lay their hands on, such as beer bottles and glasses, rocks and even rubbish.

They became so unruly that one officer pulled out his gun, turned on its laser guide and aimed it at them.

They calmed down, but became aggressive again when one of the men in the crowd, Foong Yuen Kuang, 28, charged aggressively towards one of the officers and challenged him.

Speaking in a mixture of English and Hokkien, he openly challenged the undercover officer to a “one-on-one” fight with him.

He then shouted at the crowd in Hokkien: “Mai kia mata (Don’t be afraid of the police).”

The mob resumed throwing things at the officers and dispersed only when police reinforcements arrived 15 minutes later. By then, the four officers were bruised and bloodied.

One was bleeding from being kicked in the jaw, while the other three had abrasions on their heads and back injuries.
They received treatment at Changi General Hospital.

The dramatic details of the confrontation were revealed at the trial of Foong, a Singapore permanent resident, who faced one charge each of rioting and using threatening words at a police officer.

The court was told that four officers from Bedok Police Division’s crime control unit went to the backlane between Geylang Lorong 14 and Lorong 16 at 9.30pm on 11 Jun 2007.

Hot spot for illegal gambling

The backlanes from Geylang Lorong 14 to Lorong 18 are a known hot spot for illegal gambling.

Statistics on the number of people caught for illegal gambling in Geylang are not available.

But figures from the police show a rise in the number of offenders caught for illegal gambling and betting islandwide – 1,797 were arrested last year compared to 1,566 in 2008 and 992 in 2007.

In the first two months of this year, the police, Central Narcotics Bureau, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority, Customs and other government agencies also conducted two multi-agency raids in Geylang.

In the first raid on 22 Jan, more than 170 people were arrested for illegal gambling, secret society involvement, vice-related activities and other offences. The 14-hour operation involved more than 200 officers.

The second raid, on 6 Feb, saw more than 300 officers from the various agencies nab 158 people for gang-related activities, immigration offences, illegal employment and other offences in the Geylang and Orchard Road areas.

In the June 2007 raid, the court heard how that night, the policemen saw five makeshift gambling stalls amid a throng of people in the backlane.
Two officers moved in to arrest an operator, Muhammad Said Sulaiman Dres.

Meanwhile, the other two officers, Staff Sergeant Tay Zhong Hao and Staff Sgt Kenneth Chia Sok Poon, went to the other tables.

Staff Sgt Tay told the court that things started turning ugly when he arrested Lim Teck Ann for possession of gambling implements.

A group of seven men surrounded the officers and demanded they release Lim. One of them even tried to snatch Staff Sgt Tay’s baton.

By then, a big crowd of about 200 had gathered. They jeered and some threw objects at the police officers.
Fearing for his life, Staff Sgt Tay said he then drew his revolver and pointed the laser guide at the men.

That’s when Foong charged towards Staff Sgt Tay and challenged him to a one-on-one fight.

The crowd dispersed after police reinforcements arrived.

Foong, Lim, Muhammad Said and Poh Yi Ming, who was one of the seven men, were arrested and taken into custody. Ong Kim Choon, who was also among the seven men, had left the scene. He was arrested about three weeks later.

‘He stirred up crowd’

In his defence, Foong said he had gone to Geylang that night to have dinner with a friend. When his friend went to take a look at the fight and returned with a head injury, Foong assumed that Staff Sgt Tay was responsible for it as he saw the latter standing nearby “holding a baton aggressively”.

That was why he scolded Staff Sgt Tay and used vulgarities on him.

Foong’s lawyer, Mr S S Dhillon, argued that Foong was not part of the group of seven men who had obstructed the officers from arresting Lim as he had arrived at the scene much later.

Mr Dhillon also said that the crowd acted on their own accord and became disorderly when Staff Sgt Tay hit Lim with a baton.
But District Judge Hamidah Ibrahim disagreed that Foong’s role in the incident was minor.

“In stirring up the crowd and instigating them to be defiant towards the police officers, the accused must be deemed to be indirectly responsible for the acts of the crowd when they threw the objects at the police officers,” she stated in her written judgement.

She noted that the situation “could have got uglier and become out of hand... It was a matter of time before a crowd of this nature turned into a mob on the streets and the results would have been unimaginable”.

The judge viewed that police officers should be allowed to perform their duties with little interference from the public “or else it will lead to the breakdown of law and order”.

She added that such behaviour “shows a defiance towards authority and misplaced bravado which the courts should not condone”.

She jailed Foong a total of 15 months.

Foong, who is out on bail, is appealing against his conviction and sentence.

Ong was jointly tried with Foong on the same charges and received the same sentence.

Lim pleaded guilty to four charges of threatening and assaulting police officers, and was jailed 18 months.

Poh, who pleaded guilty to one count of rioting and offences under the Common Gaming Houses Act and the Misuse of Drugs Act, was sentenced to the reformative training centre in August 2007.

Court papers did not mention how Muhammad Said was dealt with.

For rioting, Foong could have been jailed five years and caned. For using threatening words against a police officer, he could have been jailed one year.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand these fights occur once every few weeks in Geylang. Some resulted in deaths. Just not reported only.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I understand these fights occur once every few weeks in Geylang. Some resulted in deaths. Just not reported only.

Looks like one does not need to cross the causeway to get into violent trouble, no matter how safe we (still) believe Singapore to be, please exercise due caution as crime is everywhere. There is no crime free place, even our SPF says "Low crime doesn't mean no crime"

To dear detractors,
The country dynamics have changed greatly in recent years. You may win the argument online but in reality when offline, please be careful. We may disagree on things but i never want to see anyone being hurt in real life no matter what they believe.

Last edited: