• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB/SG Crimewatch

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: JB Crimewatch

Too many close shaves for comfort - Johor

I WASN'T angry to find my car shattered last Thursday. I had parked my car in front of a row of shophouses in Jalan Maju in Taman Maju Jaya.
It was dark but the street was abuzz with activities that night because of an event nearby. Perhaps the event had served as a useful distraction for the criminal.
It was the first time such a thing had happened to me. Ok, I was guilty of leaving a bag in the car, but there was nothing valuable in it. There were some documents inside, they can always be re-printed. Ok, so the thief missed the netbook that was also in the car. I had forgotten all about it because I was thinking only about getting to my assignment that night,
That's why I wasn't angry at all. I was grateful my netbook was spared. The most valuable thing that I lost that day was my handphone charger, which happened to be in the bag, and RM270, the cost of replacing the window.
The most important thing was that I wasn't hurt.
Anyway, the lesson here is to never leave anything inside the car at any time.
A 54-year-old friend of mine, who did not want to be named, was not so lucky on Sunday. He and his wife was leaving their house in Permas Jaya to go to church, when men armed with parang suddenly got out of a white Toyota Estima multipurpose van outside. One put a parang to the wife's neck.
"One snatched the gold chain around my wife's neck, while the other also threatened me with a parang," said my friend.
"When my wife started screaming, all my neighbours came out and the men turned to me. I fell down while backing away from them. I defended myself by kicking one of them in the chest.
"I managed to kick my assailant twice before I felt a sharp pain in my right arm," he said.
The assailant had slashed at his arm with the parang and blood was gushing out of the wound.
The men ran off after that.
I was visiting him at the hospital. He said the doctor had told him that there had been five victims of robbery in just the last few days, "The Johor police kept saying Iskandar Malaysia was safe. My wife and I were attacked right outside our house. It was 7pm. If they're going to say, don't wear gold chains, then Johor Baru is not really a safe city, is it?" he said, seething in anger.
As the doctor was back to show my friend the X-ray of his rib that was fractured in the fall he took, I walked over to the adjacent bed, on which a man in his 20s was sitting up.
He looked fine until he turned to his side. I saw that his head had been shaved where a cut there had been stitched up.
"I got 10 stitches for this," said the man, when he saw me looking at him.
He told me he had been working as a technician in Singapore in the last two years.
"I was returning home to Taman Sentosa in Johor Baru at around 10.30pm on Monday, when I saw a two men on a motorcycle. One was carrying a parang, the other a wooden stick.
"Without a word, the one with the parang slashed me at the back and across my head. However, they did not get anything. They sped off after I fell down.
"I am not sure if that was because they had noticed some passersby. I only know that some kind-hearted person rushed me to the hospital," he said.
He told me he was glad he was alive and the thieves did not take his wallet or his motorcycle.
Although crime is still happening in the city, that does not mean the Johor police, state government and private corporations are not exactly not doing anything to fight crime.
It is normal to feel anger after something terrible has happened to you. Some automatically lash out at the police and the government. The police's latest effort to combat crime is the Community Alert application for smartphones, which lets the user alert the police immediately after a crime is committed.
Yes, there is still more to be done. Let's work together with the police to make things as difficult as possible for the criminals.
Let's start by not leaving things in the car and being mindful of our surroundings. Don't take it for granted that we are safe from crime.
Together, we can make Johor a safer place to live in.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Watch this interesting video..

Hi Lattner, regardless of whether or not you are in G&G, some will still insist on having grilles just in case or when they planned to be away for long periods of time.

For my new home in JB, I'm thinking of a few kiasu ideas.

How about install solid walls with glass shards at the top to prevent intruders? Would that be effective? I'm also considering getting a few big dogs to roam free inside the compound at night.

cestlavie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi all bros and sis, I am moving over to Taman Universiti area, can anyone comment how safe it is in that area? The town is supposed to be a campus town, so not sure how safe it is comparatively.... Grateful for any advice for a retiring man:smile:

Hit by robbery thrice in JB

By Lynette Tan
The New Paper
Sunday, Mar 10, 2013

SINGAPORE - He knocked three times on the front passenger window of her car and gestured for her to wind it down.

When she ignored the man, he used a metal stick and smashed the window.

He then attacked and robbed Miss Serene Tay, 38, an events planner, before fleeing on his motorcycle.

The incident happened at Taman Sentosa in Johor Baru last Sunday while Miss Tay was waiting in her car for her cousin, Ms Verrin Lua, 32, outside Ms Lua's house.

It was the third time the Singaporean has been targeted by robbers in Malaysia in the last five years.

Miss Tay was waiting in her Mazda 3 for her cousin, who was in the front yard of the house, as they were planning to go out.

The doors of the car were locked. Then, Miss Tay saw a motorcycle approaching the car from the opposite direction.

"He had passed me earlier, I think he made a U-turn and came back," she told The New Paper on Thursday.

He stopped on the passenger side and knocked on the window while gesturing for her to roll it down.

"I initially thought that he was asking for directions," she said.

When she did not respond because she didn't feel comfortable winding down the window, he knocked on the window two more times and she became suspicious.

The man then took out the metal rod from a sports bag slung behind him and smashed the window.

An alarmed Miss Tay got out of the car to try to escape.

She said: "I threw my handbag into my cousin's yard so he would not get it and I tried to run into the house."

But her handbag was unzipped and her wallet and mobile phone fell out onto the ground.

Miss Tay then got into a scuffle with the man as she scrambled to pick up her belongings.

The robber punched Miss Tay in the chest and she fell to the ground. He then fled with her mobile phone and wallet, which contained about RM1,500 (S$600).

"We shouted for help, but no one came as the road was deserted at the time," said Ms Lua.

Miss Tay, who suffered abrasions on her arms and legs, and chest pains from the attack, said of the robber: "He is in his 30s with a round face. If I saw him again, I would recognise him."

She reported the incident to the Malaysian police.

Earlier incidents

Miss Tay said that her car window had also been smashed in the previous incidents.

The first time, in early 2009, she had parked her car at Century Garden in Johor Baru. She returned to find a smashed window. Her friend's bag, which had been left on the back seat, was gone.

Then, about 21/2 years ago, her car window was smashed by two men on a motorcycle when she was stuck in traffic in Taman Ungku Tun Aminah in Johor Baru.

The incident happened in broad daylight and the men made off with her handbag which contained her passport and IC.

Though shaken, she said she still drives to Malaysia as her job requires her to make weekly trips there.

But, she said: "Since then, I have been more careful. I no longer keep my passport and IC in the same bag. I am also more wary of being approached by strangers."

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi all bros and sis, I am moving over to Taman Universiti area, can anyone comment how safe it is in that area? The town is supposed to be a campus town, so not sure how safe it is comparatively.... Grateful for any advice for a retiring man:smile:

I don't know exactly which area do you stay, generally after dusk, the place is very quiet. My friend is staying in Pulai indah. I used to visit him a few times till late (about 9 pm plus), i felt like midnight. I notice the residents once reach home seldom come out, and they sleep very early before 10pm. Heard from my friend that some tamans near the area always encounter thief and housebreaking. Is your house gated and guarded?if so, it is much safer.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old pay scale RM1400 to RM3000.
New pay scale RM2000 to RM5000

I doubt with this type of pay scale you can get police like John McCain. (Die Hard)

$2000 RM can is a good start for a young couple. $5000 RM is very good for feeding a family. You can expect them focus more on the job rather than distracted by kopi money.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old pay scale RM1400 to RM3000.
New pay scale RM2000 to RM5000

I doubt with this type of pay scale you can get police like John McCain. (Die Hard)

In the M'sian context, it's significant. The potential benefits are 2 fold - existing officers may be more focused on doing their jobs, while more new applicants will be attracted to join the force. There have been many stories of officers telling crime victims bluntly that their case is "low profile" or they're "short handed" etc etc, when these victims lodge reports. So it's a good start hopefully.

Justinlim

Crime in Iskandar

Hi everyone,

I am planning to invest in a residential property in Iskandar some time this year. Many friends of mine have strongly suggested against due to multiple reasons and one of them is safety. His car was stolen a couple of months ago in JB even though the car was parked within a gated community.

Wondering if anyone experienced any crime, like car jacking, in the Iskandar region?

cestlavie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks Stevewish, I will be staying in Jalan Kebangsaan. Although gated but looks like the security post is man by BOYS wearing over sized uniform. Although hourly patrol on bike but I am quiet skeptical about the effectiveness. According to the previous owner staying for past 6 years, there were no incidents but really cannot take their words for it.

I have read that Mas Selamat was arrested when he was hiding in Taman U..

I don't know exactly which area do you stay, generally after dusk, the place is very quiet. My friend is staying in Pulai indah. I used to visit him a few times till late (about 9 pm plus), i felt like midnight. I notice the residents once reach home seldom come out, and they sleep very early before 10pm. Heard from my friend that some tamans near the area always encounter thief and housebreaking. Is your house gated and guarded?if so, it is much safer.

thmejlfm

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last Saturday nite, my car got break in. They smashed my car's front passenger window. Took away my wallet and Ipad which I had hide it under my car seat. That area was a public car park near the seafood shop opposite the Nusa Duta. My car was parked at one corner which was quite dark (regretted) The theft took away all my cash, Sin & Ring and ipad. They threw back all my VISA cards. Before, I parked my car, I didn't even take out or show out my bag.

Had already made the police report, to claim insurance. Very disappointed about the area.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last Saturday nite, my car got break in. They smashed my car's front passenger window. Took away my wallet and Ipad which I had hide it under my car seat. That area was a public car park near the seafood shop opposite the Nusa Duta. My car was parked at one corner which was quite dark (regretted) The theft took away all my cash, Sin & Ring and ipad. They threw back all my VISA cards. Before, I parked my car, I didn't even take out or show out my bag.

Had already made the police report, to claim insurance. Very disappointed about the area.

OMG , sorry to hear abt that ... dun tell me they now aiming nusajaya area liao coz so far this is the first time i heard the break in case for car ....

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sounds bad. Newspaper also splashed out thefts in JB. Thanks for e alert. I think it is organised crimes. Someone must b hidden somewhere to make sure owner doesn't return tt early to e car.

terencetan1981

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sorry to hear it. The alarm didn't do the work? I heard people were talking about armour shield for car screen. Wonder if anyone has used it before?
Btw thanks for sharing this news, will be more alert next time.