• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ivan Heng scold 154 till bo chun...

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore theatre director slams MediaCorp New Year countdown show for being too ‘cheena’

630sharpenedivanhengfbpost.jpg

From: http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/b...countdown-programme-goes-viral-090946821.html

A Facebook post by local theatre maven Ivan Heng criticising MediaCorp Channel 5’s countdown programme is gaining a lot of traction online.

In the post shared around 9am on Wednesday, Heng criticised the national broadcaster for a show which he felt was not inclusive of Singaporeans from different races and cultures.

Describing the programme as “cheena”, the Singaporean theatre actor and director also said in the post that he “kept flipping channels to double-check to see if I was watching Channel 8 or CTV (referring to China Central Television)".

He also mentioned that “Malays, Indians, Eurasians, Peranakans and not to mention the dozens of other races and nationalities who today call Singapore their country and home” were left out.

In less than 48 hours, the status received over 8,000 likes and close to 3,000 shares. Hundreds also left comments on the post, lauding Heng for his observation.

Over a phone interview with Yahoo Singapore, Heng revealed that he wrote the post because he was angry about how the programme “excluded people”.

“I was angry when I saw it. Then I went to sleep, and when I woke up, I realised I was still angry. That was when I decided to share my thoughts online,” he said.

“The countdown programme is a public broadcasting service. Not everyone can afford cable or Apple TV, and others just want to tune in to Channel 5. To me, the focus (of the programme) should be on including everyone who may tune in, not simply on drawing eyeballs.”

“Our multi-cultural, multi-lingual society is what distinguishes us from other cities and countries, and the programme should have embraced that,” he added.

Facebook user Kenneth Shanghaiist Tan, whose profile states he is the managing editor of popular blog Shanghaiist, wrote, “We need to wake up to the bulls*** our Malay and Indian friends deal with on a daily basis.” His comment received over 250 likes.

Another user, Florence Oh, said, “Yes, I do agree that we should be including the other races and nationalities especially in MediaCorp Channel 5 programming where the common language used is English!!! This is not the Singapore I remembered nor grew up in!!” She received over 70 likes for the comment.

Childcare teacher Lynn Ee, 27, who watched the countdown special, said she found it inappropriate that Mandarin was spoken.

However, she added, many of the Channel 8 stars who were involved, such as Zoe Tay, are “household names that even Malay and Indian Singaporeans know”, and thus are good representatives of local culture.

Shakir Rahmat, 24, a fitness trainer, said MediaCorp should simply have ensured that only English was spoken, as Channel 5 was an English channel afterall.

“If the Chinese celebrities had spoken only English -- the main language in Singapore -- no one would care about their race. People are not unhappy about their race; people are unhappy because they spoke Mandarin and excluded people who cannot understand it,” he said.

My 2 cents: Fella better start looking for a new job, Ah gong give the show the go ahead, the very same ah gong who keeps the art scene 'vibrant' by throwing in money year in year out to proclaim to the world that Singapore has an Arts Scene and ensure theatre directors get paid well.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People still watch that crap Mediacorp new year countdown on tv? Can't get enough of Sheikh Haikel or Gurmit Singh? :rolleyes:

Ivan Heng won't be touched by the regime because he's had experience in planning choreography for the NDP. Even the most homophobic pappy will treat him with (grudging) respect... just like Zeus giving way to Hades at Mount Olympus. :wink:

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ivan Heng needs to be sent for re-education.

This is China's century...........to deny it is to your own detriment. Dun be stoopid.

Last I read, China is the largest trade partner of many countries.

Xfaulvc.png

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
People still watch that crap Mediacorp new year countdown on tv? Can't get enough of Sheikh Haikel or Gurmit Singh? :rolleyes:

Ivan Heng won't be touched by the regime because he's had experience in planning choreography for the NDP. Even the most homophobic pappy will treat him with (grudging) respect... just like Zeus giving way to Hades at Mount Olympus. :wink:

It is very easy to see the logic from Mediacorpse perspective if one accepts that sinkapore is a Chinese Country. Period.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yet another clueless dumbfuck type of complaint.
Wang Lee Hom came on stage AFTER the countdown. The focus of the night was on boyband THE WANTED and i could see all the front row screamers are either ang neh or ang moh teenagers. What is this cheena complain.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2014 govt agenda.
let's welcome 中央新卫视 and 湖南新卫视

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am happy to say that my new year countdown is at kuala Lumpur.. Away from sinkieland.. Hehe..

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why didn't he complain when NDP 2010 featured horrible Lady Gaga knockoffs?

Is it because he's married to an angmor?

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is right to scold Mediacork, paying Wang Lee Hom $340,000 for 45 mins of crappy songs! I can't even hear clearly what the F he is singing...

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is right to scold Mediacork, paying Wang Lee Hom $340,000 for 45 mins of crappy songs! I can't even hear clearly what the F he is singing...

You mean Media CORK paid him 345K for a 45 minute job. I suppose we over paid him.

That guy can sing and dance if you can give him a guitar straight away.