• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It's official, we work the longest hours in the world

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's official, Singapore employees are working the longest hours in the world. Even more than Japan. According to official surveys, 20% of our workforce clocks in more than 11 hours per day.

Check out the facts presented in this article:

http://endeavour.sg/20-of-singapore-employees-work-more-than-11-hours-daily/

And the sad part is, we work long hours but productivity is still low.

There is a serious cultural problem in this country. Tweaking of policies won't fix it. There needs to be a solution at the structural level, a change in culture and habits. Not something I think the PAP is capable of.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's this ingrained mentality that clocking many hours per day = hardworking = good employee = get promotions and raises faster.

The 'ai piah jiah eh yiah' song is the anthem of slaves.

This is especially so with plenty of gutless Sinkie employees who dare not go home before the boss, despite the fact that they're done for the day.

Around the time of their performance appraisal, they stay back late and look busy.

No you twits, that's inefficiency. Being a cubicle rat is not the same as having a restaurant job.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's this ingrained mentality that clocking many hours per day = hardworking = good employee = get promotions and raises faster.

This is especially so with plenty of gutless Sinkie employees who dare not go home before the boss, despite the fact that they're done for the day.

Around the time of their performance appraisal, they stay back late and look busy.

No you twits, that's inefficiency. Being a cubicle rat is not the same as having a restaurant job.

Yet isn't ai piah jiah eh yiah the way for success? I mean if you don't work hard as an entreprenaur you won't make it correct?

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal

When I was with the SAF, I told my men that they could knock off at whatever time they wanted as long as they finished their work.

I had this one clerk who consistently completed his work around 4.00 to 4.30 pm and he could leave early around 3 days out of 5 each week. I believed that efficiency should be rewarded and incentivised. In fact, if you force them to work late, you are actually providing a disincentive for efficiency. Why take 10 hours to do a task, when it can be done in 5 hours?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I was with the SAF, I told my men that they could knock off at whatever time they wanted as long as they finished their work.

I had this one clerk who consistently completed his work around 4.00 to 4.30 pm and he could leave early around 3 days out of 5 each week. I believed that efficiency should be rewarded and incentivised. In fact, if you force them to work late, you are actually providing a disincentive for efficiency. Why take 10 hours to do a task, when it can be done in 5 hours?

There's another aspect to this: if you prove yourself to be too efficient, you be asked to shoulder more jobs or assist with others' tasks.

This 'SAF arrow' mentality, combined with employers' shameless exploitation of their workers, made it that even the efficient people do not want to be perceived as efficient.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's another aspect to this: if you prove yourself to be too efficient, you be asked to shoulder more jobs or assist with others' tasks.

This 'SAF arrow' mentality, combined with employers' shameless exploitation of their workers, made it that even the efficient people do not want to be perceived as efficient.

This never happened in my department.

I made sure that people were rewarded for their efficiency, by allowing them to go home early once their tasks were completed.

For the inefficient ones, or for those who DELIBERATELY worked slowly (just to do less or avoid being arrowed), I made sure they have to work OT. Basically, I told them that the amount of tasks you have to complete today is fixed. If you finish in 4 hours, you go home in 4 hours. If you finish in 14 hours, you go home in 14 hours. Do not think that if you purposely slack until 6 pm then you can just go home.

As a result, this provided a disincentive to the slackers, while providing motivation to the efficient ones.

Try it in your workplace, it works!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This never happened in my department.

I made sure that people were rewarded for their efficiency, by allowing them to go home early once their tasks were completed.

For the inefficient ones, or for those who DELIBERATELY worked slowly (just to do less or avoid being arrowed), I made sure they have to work OT. Basically, I told them that the amount of tasks you have to complete today is fixed. If you finish in 4 hours, you go home in 4 hours. If you finish in 14 hours, you go home in 14 hours. Do not think that if you purposely slack until 6 pm then you can just go home.

As a result, this provided a disincentive to the slackers, while providing motivation to the efficient ones.

Try it in your workplace, it works!

I believe you are actually a minority of bosses