• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's Official! Sinkies Own Their HDB Flat! Oppies, Pls Stop Spreading Lies That HDB Is A Long-term Tenancy!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You must compare apples with apples.

You did say that a $200K HDB flat is dirt cheap by any standards...even when you are earning $1.2k per month?

Your $485K 1 bedroom apartment in central Auckland is a niche market that only the rich can afford.

$200k is a extremely cheap for an apartment in a developed city. Of course it goes without saying that deadbeats who refuse to earn a living won't be able to afford anything. However for a couple with a combined income of $2500 200k is well within their means.

$485K for a 1 one bedroom apartment in Auckland is not a niche market. It's not some fancy boutique location where the rich and famous mingle it's an ordinary block of flats in a very ordinary location. In fact the location is rather crummy it's surrounded by light industry.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In Singapore, tenants of HDB flats are made to pay thousand$ of dollar$ per year. To the HDB and the town councils, NOTHING IS FREE. Even the upkeep of common areas is paid for by YOU, the tenants. We are told to believe what the LEEders want us to hear.
It's time to awaken. Open our eyes to OBSERVE, permit our brains to THINK, and allow our hearts to FEEL.
Living things respond and react to favourable and unfavourable stimuLEE.

How did you arrive at the figure "thousands of dollars"? Please explain.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
$200k is a extremely cheap for an apartment in a developed city. Of course it goes without saying that deadbeats who refuse to earn a living won't be able to afford anything. However for a couple with a combined income of $2500 200k is well within their means.

$485K for a 1 one bedroom apartment in Auckland is not a niche market. It's not some fancy boutique location where the rich and famous mingle it's an ordinary block of flats in a very ordinary location. In fact the location is rather crummy it's surrounded by light industry.

Agreed that $200K is extremely cheap for an apt...but for a public housing apt with a long list T&Cs attached ?

The argument in this thread is the concept of "ownership" as the very word that defines it.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
A monthly salary of S$2000 in Bukit Timah-Singapore, Sri Petaling-KL, Jakarta or Makassar-Indonesia, Auckland, Queensland, Colombo, London, New York, Shanghai or Zhejiang-China, and Phnom Penh or Pursat-Cambodia cannot be equated as of similar value significance.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes that is why it has to be measured by affordability and affordable housing is available in Singapore.
Warehouse-Club-12-Navel-Oranges.jpg

This is affordable. It's about one dollar per orange at a warehouse sales. Double the price and it is still affordable. $3 an orange is still affordable.
Who defines AFFORDabilty or is it affordabiLEEty in Singapore? Who shall pass judgement - the consumer, vendor, wholesaler, the invested, the investor, a governmental agency, the ruling government or The self-serving LEEder of the ruLEEng Party?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rule of thumb is to aim for a home that costs about two-and-a-half times your gross annual salary.

If you have significant credit card debt or other financial obligations like alimony or even an expensive hobby, then you may need to set your sights lower.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Agreed that $200K is extremely cheap for an apt...but for a public housing apt with a long list T&Cs attached ?

The argument in this thread is the concept of "ownership" as the very word that defines it.

If can't sell something you don't own. If an HDB apartment can be sold by the occupier it has to mean that he owns it.

Communal living invariably comes with terms and conditions. I own a freehold apartment in Auckland but I am not allowed to lease it out short term, I cannot have pets, I have to give a key to the building manager so that he has access when necessary, I have no parking space I have to BUY a lot if I need one that's an extra $60,000.

I am also have to seek approval for anything I place on the balcony even though I own the balcony. I wanted to install an aircon but I have to seek approval for that too and I've waited 6 months with still no outcome.

Mind you this is a private apartment which has nothing to do with the government.

HDB is very lenient in comparison.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Warehouse-Club-12-Navel-Oranges.jpg

This is affordable. It's about one dollar per orange at a warehouse sales. Double the price and it is still affordable. $3 an orange is still affordable.
Who defines AFFORDabilty or is it affordabiLEEty in Singapore? Who shall pass judgement - the consumer, vendor, wholesaler, the invested, the investor, a governmental agency, the ruling government or The self-serving LEEder of the ruLEEng Party?

Affordability for housing is defined relative to annual incomes of the population.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If can't sell something you don't own. If an HDB apartment can be sold by the occupier it has to mean that he owns it.

Communal living invariably comes with terms and conditions. I own a freehold apartment in Auckland but I am not allowed to lease it out short term, I cannot have pets, I have to give a key to the building manager so that he has access when necessary, I have no parking space I have to BUY a lot if I need one that's an extra $60,000.

I am also have to seek approval for anything I place on the balcony even though I own the balcony. I wanted to install an aircon but I have to seek approval for that too and I've waited 6 months will still no outcome.

Mind you this is a private apartment which has nothing to do with the government.

HDB is very lenient in comparison.

That has to do with strata management committee. The parking space is also part of the property investment which can be re-sold.

You can choose a development's strata management by doing your due diligence before buying...not every strata management has the same rulings.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes but how does it add up to the "thousands"?
And if someone can afford a car in Singapore they can hardly be classified as poor.

In 2016 - For residents’ first parking lot, the parking charge will see a smaller increase of $15 for surface car parks (from $65 to $80 per month), and $20 for sheltered car parks (from $90 to $110 per month). - From HDB
Parking alone for resident's first car is between $960 and $1320. Just parking for a car is 0NE THOUSAND OR MORE DOLLARS. A household family may comprise grandparents, parents, children and grandchildren. If citizens and families need to compromise, then it is unbecoming of LEEders to preach and advise, and speak about what is comfortable and appropriate standard of living.
Please don't equate maintenance of a car to being rich or poor. Nobody should tell another person how she/she must live his/her life.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
...HDB is very lenient in comparison.

Sam, could I sell what I don't own and make money out of it?
Is this possible in Singapore, a small country whereby its national LEEders demanded to be paid the world's highest?

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! That sounds cheap. Try getting a parking lot in HK. It will cost you about US$760,000.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/hong-kong-parking-space-intl/index.html

About $1000 per month in Singapore but US$760,000 in HK? What is wrong????
HK or are you referring to HK SAR, which is part of CHINA. Are the people living there happy? Did they compare and contrast with other parts of China?
Sincere apology, No bird seeds here. Run along to your master and sound your cheap chirps.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
About $1000 per month in Singapore but US$760,000 in HK? What is wrong????
HK or are you referring to HK SAR, which is part of CHINA. Are the people living there happy? Did they compare and contrast with other parts of China?
Sincere apology, No bird seeds here. Run along to your master and sound your cheap chirps.

Is there anywhere in Singapore where a parking lot alone costs US$760,000?

I don't think the people living in HK's public apartments are happy. You are welcome to move to HK's HDB flats if you think they are that good.

BN-LU507_hk3_G_20151221025728.jpg

413488A100000578-0-image-a-178_1496936228383.jpg

bea52ec6-afa6-11e5-86ff-b7a34a11666b_1280x720.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That has to do with strata management committee. The parking space is also part of the property investment which can be re-sold.

You can choose a development's strata management by doing your due diligence before buying...not every strata management has the same rulings.

The rules and regulations are not locked in with the purchase agreement. They can change at any time. The points is that ownership of ANY property does not give you open season to do as you please with the property. HDB is very lenient in comparison. Dogs are allowed, you can knock down walls, stick your washing out in the open and install air-cons without having to get specific permission.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In 2016 - For residents’ first parking lot, the parking charge will see a smaller increase of $15 for surface car parks (from $65 to $80 per month), and $20 for sheltered car parks (from $90 to $110 per month). - From HDB
Parking alone for resident's first car is between $960 and $1320. Just parking for a car is 0NE THOUSAND OR MORE DOLLARS. A household family may comprise grandparents, parents, children and grandchildren. If citizens and families need to compromise, then it is unbecoming of LEEders to preach and advise, and speak about what is comfortable and appropriate standard of living.
Please don't equate maintenance of a car to being rich or poor. Nobody should tell another person how she/she must live his/her life.

Anyone that can afford a car in Singapore can easily afford an extra thousand dollars per annum to park it.