• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is this vintage camera good ?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My dear friend, if just for collection sake I think no harm to keep. But to use it, then you might have a problem, maybe big headache. One, where to buy film rolls? Second, who is going to develop for you, unless you have your own chemical knowledge, dark room, etc.
Kodak recently already file for bankruptcy. I dont know what about Fuji films, Agfa, Minolta or Sakura. I believe in England they still sell Ilford films.

There's no problem finding film roll in Japan and I know where to develop film . So no problem with it . I think it's cool to use a vintage camera to take pic .

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I regularly shoot with film. I'm testing out a Canonet 28 right now, and also have a Rollei XF 35 (made in Singapore, incidentally) and an Olympus Trip 35.

Film is still commonly available but can be costly. So I do the next best thing - I buy film that has recently expired and they cost between $4 and $6.50 for rolls of 36. Processing can be done at $3 per roll and if you don't want prints, many shops would digitize the negatives for you onto CD ROMs.

My dear friend, if just for collection sake I think no harm to keep. But to use it, then you might have a problem, maybe big headache. One, where to buy film rolls? Second, who is going to develop for you, unless you have your own chemical knowledge, dark room, etc.
Kodak recently already file for bankruptcy. I dont know what about Fuji films, Agfa, Minolta or Sakura. I believe in England they still sell Ilford films.

There's no problem finding film roll in Japan and I know where to develop film . So no problem with it . I think it's cool to use a vintage camera to take pic .

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How about this bros ?..a circa 90's poLaroid camera dug out from my coLLection of oLd treasures :

polar2.jpg

polar1.jpg

StiLL in A1 condition..:smile:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
..stiLL digging out for my oLd Pentax cam..shaLL post here Later, bro.Wait out..:wink:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dun know about vintage camera, but condition is everything for collectors, they want mint condition or not at all.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun know about vintage camera, but condition is everything for collectors, they want mint condition or not at all.

I still have a few Nikon cameras in my dry cabinet,
2 x Nikon F2AS with motor drive - sold
Nikon FM2 Ti Honey comb shutter -Sold
Nikon F2A chrome body,
Nikormat FT2 chrome body black.
2 x Nikon F3HP Black with motor drive.
Nikon chrome 35 Titanium body
Nikon FE body black.

12 Nikon Lens..from 20mm to 200mm

In time to come it becomes antique!

Now used Kodak DC-SLR 14C Canon body with 28-17mm & 100 macro lens
and Leica V-Lux 1 35mm-420mm digital cameras!

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
What prime lenses do you have?

20mm f2.8
24mmf2.8 sold
28mm f2.8
35mm f2.8
35mm PC f2.8
55mm f2.8 macro
50mm f1.4
105mm f2.5 excellent portraiture lens
200mm f2.8
35-105mm f3.5
180mm f2.8
80-200mm f2.8

Sold my Leica M series
Leica M4 x2
Leica M4-2
Leica M5
Leica Visoflex system with 90mm f2.8 with Bellow
35mm f2.8
35mmf1.4
50mm f2 x2
90mm f2.8
90mm f2
135mmf2.8

Sold my Hasselbald 500cm
with 3 lens 50mm
80mm
150mm

Sold my Mamiya RZ brand new with box with 4 lens for song!
50mm, 90mm, 140mm & 180mm, metering prism

I though of turning into Professional photographer than I said digital
is in, and film was out so I sold the lot leaving some of the Nikon kept in dry cabinet!!
Sold all my studio lights throw away my expensive background canvas from US!

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have a Leica R7. Is that considered "vintage"?

leica R7 was produce between 1992-97 so i think still dont consider as " vintage " . is it in working condition ?

what do you think of my Yashica MG-1 ? is it good ?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
leica R7 was produce between 1992-97 so i think still dont consider as " vintage " . is it in working condition ?

what do you think of my Yashica MG-1 ? is it good ?

The Leica is in perfect working condition. It hasn't been used much. I started shooting digital soon after I bought it used in 2000.

I used to be a great Yashica and Pentax fan. I bought a Pentax spotmatic way back in 1970. I loved that camera. 90% of the images in the school magazine that year were shot with it. Sports day, Drama festival, Fun Fair day.. all captured with a spotmatic.

In those days, it was all about getting 36/36 good images out of a roll of film. Every shot had to count. There was a lot of stress when I went to pick up the prints. Nowadays, I hold down down the shutter of my D3 while reading a book and it fires 9 fps till the buffer is full. I then pick the best out of the 30+ images shot and delete the crap.

Anyone can call themselves "photographer" nowadays.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sold my Hasselbald 500cm
with 3 lens 50mm
80mm
150mm

The Hasselbald is a very good but large camera. I knew someone who would use it when he was travelling around as a tourist:eek:
The photos he took was superb. This is the same camera that the astronauts took to the moon

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Leica is in perfect working condition. It hasn't been used much. I started shooting digital soon after I bought it used in 2000.

I used to be a great Yashica and Pentax fan. I bought a Pentax spotmatic way back in 1970. I loved that camera. 90% of the images in the school magazine that year were shot with that camera. Sports day, Drama festival, Fun Fair day.. all captured with a spotmatic.

In those days, it was all about getting 36/36 good images out of a roll of film. Every shot had to count. There was a lot of stress when I went to pick up the prints. Nowadays, I hold down down the shutter of my D3 while reading a book and it fires 9 fps till the buffer is full. I then pick the best out of the 30+ images shot and delete the crap.

Anyone can call themselves "photographer" nowadays.

you are right ..and i agree with your above statement . after i got this vintage camera from my friend afew days ago ..i start interested in photograpy ..because of the cool vintage design of my yashica . i think its a waste if i dont know how to use it to take pic . now im trying to find out more information on how to take a good pic with this camera . any tips for me ?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
you are right ..and i agree with your above statement . after i got this vintage camera from my friend afew days ago ..i start interested in photograpy ..because of the cool vintage design of my yashica . i think its a waste if i dont know how to use it to take pic . now im trying to find out more information on how to take a good pic with this camera . any tips for me ?

What do you mean by "good"? Technically good or artistically good?

Out of focus shots can win photograph competitions if looks like it was done on purpose. Over exposed images can be labelled as "high key" to cover up the blunder.

If you're talking the principles of capturing in-focus, correctly exposed images then it's the same as digital. The difference is that it's harder to rescue the image if you screw up.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The photos he took was superb. This is the same camera that the astronauts took to the moon

If he took superb photos, it was because he's a good photographer.

Give a Hasselblad to a novice and the photos will end up even worse than if he shot with a compact.