• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is there any new Toronto immigrant in this forum?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Declaration of Assets

Hi Charlie9,

My apology for not making my question clear.

Whatever I bring along when I land, I will declare including the 'goods to follow' list.

As for my properties and funds that is not in Canada, do I have to declare at the point of landing?

From your reply, does it mean that I only declare them to CRA later on in my income tax form when I sell the property(ies) and transfer the funds to Canada?

Please pardon my ignorance in this subject matter.

Regards

I am not trying to make any allegation, but my retired judge friend, the Honourable Lloyd W. Houlden of the Court of Appeal of Ontario (about 85 or more now), told me that if an individual is telling the truth, the answer is consistent and the same. Accordingly, if you ask me, I would suggest that whatever declaration you may have to provide, tell the truth, and you can sleep peacefully at night.

With respect to your other matters, may I suggest that you scan all the documents, statements, etc. to your hard drive and lap top, and consider sending it in several parts as an attachment to your e-mail account and your spouse's e-mail, such that it is available wherever you are. If you have to travel to SG within 2 weeks of your arrival in Canada, perhaps, you wish to resolve your SG matters before emigrating.

By the way, earlier today, I saw an advertisement pertaining to immigrants with foreign credentials, and you may wish to check it out, to determine whether or not it is relevant for you: www.credentials.gc.ca

If the other helpful individual [Dole43] who resides near Mississauga or Oakville, offers to help you by allowing you to use his residential address for government documents, you have one important matter resolved.

I recall that various emigration matters were disscussed at great length in the old sammyboy forum. There was a younger medical doctor from SG [nayr69] or [nayr69sg], with 2 children, who probably landed in Edmonton, Alberta, several years ago. He was willing to give up practising as a medical doctor to move to Canada to give his children a better future. He did significant research and planning, and responded to question from numerous potential emigrants in those days of the old sammyboy forum. We were in SG in early 2004, and we met his family and shared dinner. Unfortunately, he did not keep in touch with me.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: university vs polytechnic / college

Hi Charlie9,

Perhaps, you may wish to evaluate the appropriateness and usefulness of the trend of attending at a polytechnic or college rather than a university.
Well Sir, the path to U through a college study is what my son and a good number of bright students in his cohort had chosen and his 2nd year result which was just released shows that he had done pretty well with As and Bs for all his modules.

His 'O' level result was more than above average and he had insisted on choosing the path to a U degree through a college diploma citing press reports that this is a common approach for his cohorts.

On hindsight, perhaps I should have insisted that he pursue his study in JC but there is no point in debating about it now. Moving forward, I just need to support and guide him in completing his U study.

Regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Charlie9 and Dole43,

.....Evaluate the consequences of non-declaration.

Originally Posted by Dole43: ..... If anyone is hiding anything, they'll probably trip up ....

Oh no, :o; there is no intention to conceal or hide anything. All I wanted to know is, do I need to declare all my assets and funds again at the point of landing when I have done so during the Networth Declaration earlier on?

I suppose there is no need to reading from your replies. Thanks.

Regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43,
You'll definitely need the PR card to re-enter Canada.
Noted, the best option it seems is to go back to sg only after getting my PR card in order to avoid any hiccup.

Closer to your move date, if you really don't have any better address to give, you can use mine if you want.
Thank you very much and I am grateful to you for your kind offer. I will keep that in mind.

Regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Charlie9,
.... you can sleep peacefully at night.
Sir, oh yes, I do sleep peacefully at night :smile:

.. may I suggest that you scan all the documents... such that it is available wherever you are. If you have to travel to SG within 2 weeks of your arrival in Canada, perhaps, you wish to resolve your SG matters before emigrating.
Noted and thanks for your suggestion on scanning documents etc. I am also thinking of deferring my trip back to sg after obtaining my PR card.

Yes, it's relevant and I had already checked it out. Thanks.

If the other helpful individual [Dole43] who resides near Mississauga or Oakville, offers to help you by allowing you to use his residential address for government documents, you have one important matter resolved.
Yes, I count myself lucky to have met a number of gentlemen / ladies like Dole43 and your good self for taking time to offer valuable advice and help. I am grateful to all who has helped. Once again, thanks.

... There was a younger medical doctor from SG [nayr69] or [nayr69sg], with 2 children, who probably landed in Edmonton, Alberta, several years ago.... in SG in early 2004, and we met his family and shared dinner. Unfortunately, he did not keep in touch with me.
Sir, you sound disappointed that the young doctor had not kept in touch with you. Are you feeling this way because you think he is your friend whom you are concern with and care about?

Have you ever asked yourself, who are your friends i.e. friends that will standby and care about you whether it's good or bad times? Who will decide? Do you or others you know decide?

I am always sincere and truthful when interacting with people and I counted some of them as my friends and some just casual acquaintances.

The truth is, as I have learned in life, your friends are not determined by just you alone. Instead those whom you interact with are the ones that decide who will be their friends, if the decision is mutual, the two of you then becomes great friends.

However, to my amazement, some of whom I thought were just casual acquaintances had treated me as their good friend when out of the blues; they will get in touch with me, enquiring about my welfare. Their calls shows that you are on their mind and that calling you is an act of care and concern for you even though they may not been in direct contact with you for awhile. Of course, I being the friendly guy ever, would reciprocate their friendship. I have experienced this many times, from people whom I thought of as casual friends and to my surprise, I have more friends than I thought.

Not sure about the young doc, he may contact you out of the blue ….

Maybe what I said above is not something new to all but I thought I just like to share my experiences as far as friends are concerned.

Regards

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: YMC in the Greater Toronto Area

You may wish to check out the YMCA re: programs for newcomers, youth leadership, etc.

www.YMCAtoronto or YMCAgta

I applied the judge's comments re: inquiry into the failure of Northland Bank and Canadian Commercial Bank in 1985 or 1986, where he indicated shareholders' and stakeholders' "Expectations Gap" If I do things without expecting any reward, compensation or return, that is without any expectations, I will never be disappointed.

During my earlier years as an immigrant, various individuals have been kind, generous and helpful to me, but there were challenging times.

I am content with one to two days equivalent of work. I work out at the fitness club 3 to 4 times a week. I have no expectations from my posts on this forum. I count my Blessings, with good health at my age, with a lovely wife who has delivered and nurtured 4 reasonably behaved, studious and talented children. We are frugal, no debts, do not live in a big house nor drive any fancy motor vehicle, and do not need others' approval or compliments.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Just found that Burlington is ranked #4 in 2009 as the best city to live and work in Canada by Moneysense. Please read on.

#4 Burlington, Ont.
Searching for a hidden paradise? Try Burlington. This suburban community of 164,000 on the western edge of Lake Ontario combines some of the country’s highest incomes with one of its lowest crime rates. It is an easy commute to two major cities — Hamilton and Toronto — so finding work is easy. Better yet, Burlington’s weather is mild and pleasant (at least by Canadian standards) and Niagara wine country is just a half-hour’s drive away.

Category Rank out of 154
Weather rank 3
Affordable housing 95
Household income 9
Discretionary income 9
New cars on the road 16
Job prospects 40
Population growth 26
Access to health care 88
Low crime rate 10
Walk or bike to work 142

Hi Dole43, perhaps the above is good news for you?

Regards

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Just found that Burlington is ranked #4 in 2009 as the best city to live and work in Canada by Moneysense. Please read on.

#4 Burlington, Ont.
Searching for a hidden paradise? Try Burlington. This suburban community of 164,000 on the western edge of Lake Ontario combines some of the country’s highest incomes with one of its lowest crime rates. It is an easy commute to two major cities — Hamilton and Toronto — so finding work is easy. Better yet, Burlington’s weather is mild and pleasant (at least by Canadian standards) and Niagara wine country is just a half-hour’s drive away.

Category Rank out of 154
Weather rank 3
Affordable housing 95
Household income 9
Discretionary income 9
New cars on the road 16
Job prospects 40
Population growth 26
Access to health care 88
Low crime rate 10
Walk or bike to work 142

Hi Dole43, perhaps the above is good news for you?

Regards

Hi Malxsin,

Interesting data from Burlington's own website, though that place is considered a bedroom community, who would want to live there? :wink:

If you use nature as any indication, the grass, flowers and leaves are already out in Burlington & Hamilton weeks before they appear in Toronto & Mississauga.

By the way, as someone had already pointed earlier, that part of the GTA is literally on the same latitude as the northern border of California with Oregon. 42" California/Oregon border, 43" Hamilton, 49" Vancouver and 51" Calgary. Other famous places at the 43" latitude include Monaco, southern France, Spain, Tuscany, all known for their nice mediteranean climate.

Last edited:

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I like to say thank you to all who had helped with tips, guidance and assistance ....

And after all the preparation ....... TORONTO ..... here I come ..... in a couple of weeks from now ....

One could never be prepared 100% so here we go, the countdown for the launch had began .... 10 .... 9 ..... 8 ....

Kind regards

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43, Chuckyworld and Charlie9,

It is now past midnight and I just got back from work. (sigh). Today as well as these past few weeks had been rather hectic and busy for me at work. Employers and clients mentally in Asia is all about work and money. There is just no respect for the individual's life. Well, this kind of lifestyle is also one of the major 'push' factor for me to emigrate.

Your detailed and thoughtful responses warms my heart and it tells me that you guys are trying very much to help, for which I am grateful and its just me trying to find the time to digest all the info and advice provided before responding with my thoughts / further queries and troubling you guys further. Hence, please pardon me if you find my responses a bit slow in coming.

There is a saying. The grass is always greener on the other side, until you get there.:biggrin:

With your eyes wide open everything in Canada is good outlook, I am quite sure you are in for a very rude shock :biggrin: Have you even been to North America or Europe for holidays before :rolleyes:

Before I try to recall my situation, allow me to make another suggestion re: English,
practise / advise is a verb -- To improve, one has to practise regularly. Please advise me of the various alternatives.
practice / advice is a noun -- There is soccer practice every Tuesday and Thursday. Your advice is much appreciated.
I am also very fussy with our children's English, spelling and writing, because once an individual becomes careless, he or she will lack the discipline to improve on it.

Spare us the bullshit arrogant old man. :rolleyes: As for the English language, you should know 1/3 of Canada, even those in the anglophone areas, write and speak shitty English.

Go change your diapers and lay off the internet. Remember to exercise more often so your arteries won't be clogged by cholesterol. Oh I forgot, Canada is one giant ice popsicle, too cold to exercise outdoors there.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi senatorabudelai,

Thanks for the warning and I will bear that in mind.

For your info, I have been criss crossing Asia, Europe, North America including Canada multiple times on business trips.

Certainly, experiences from short business visits and actually residing in any place will be different but then again who can say what the differences are unless one experienced it himself or learn from others experiences which may and may not be the same as yours.

Your post seem to reflect that you are unhappy and hence your warning as well as getting personal with Charlie9.

Are you in Canada? How long have you been there and are you living well now? Is there any 'rude shock' that you like to share besides just a warning of it?

From my personal experiences while studying in the UK and through my travels in those countries whose mother-tongue is English, I agree with you that not many Canadian, Americans or even the Englishmen have the level of command of the English language as good as some other writers here including Charlie9 in this forum. Imho, it is their freedom to correct any mistakes they sees fit whether one likes it or not, don't you think?

Charlie9 had been a gentleman in this thread.

Regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Its been awhile since I last posted here.

Just an update, my family and I are now settled comfortably in Toronto and would like to say thank you to all whom had offered valuable and constructive advice to me in this forum.

Best regards

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congratulations

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I last posted here.

Just an update, my family and I are now settled comfortably in Toronto and would like to say thank you to all whom had offered valuable and constructive advice to me in this forum.

Best regards

Congratulations.
May God be generous with His Blessings upon you and your family.