• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is there any new Toronto immigrant in this forum?

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43, Chuckyworld and Charlie9,

It is now past midnight and I just got back from work. (sigh). Today as well as these past few weeks had been rather hectic and busy for me at work. Employers and clients mentally in Asia is all about work and money. There is just no respect for the individual's life. Well, this kind of lifestyle is also one of the major 'push' factor for me to emigrate.

Your detailed and thoughtful responses warms my heart and it tells me that you guys are trying very much to help, for which I am grateful and its just me trying to find the time to digest all the info and advice provided before responding with my thoughts / further queries and troubling you guys further. Hence, please pardon me if you find my responses a bit slow in coming.

You guys are great and I will be in touch with you tomorrow after my day trip to Malaysia, have a meeting there. :(

Best regards to all

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Catholic Schools in Toronto

Pardon me, I am unaware that the Toronto Catholic Schools accept students who are not Catholics. I assume that for a student to attend at a Catholic school, his or her parents would have to indicate that their property taxes go towards the TCDSB, not the TDSB.

Yes, they do accept non catholic, my neighbour who is a muslim send his son to a Catholic high school Father Michael Geotz secondary school in Mississauga..

Just need to redirect the tax to seperate school.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, they do accept non catholic, my neighbour who is a muslim send his son to a Catholic high school Father Michael Geotz secondary school in Mississauga..

By default, the tax goes to support the public school system, you can indicate somewhere for your tax to go to support the catholic school.

Point to note to Malxsin, get your kids' sgp school records in order, their report books, and the hospital birth booklet that shows the immunization records. The school admin will photocopy copies of these documents. Your kids would have completed only half of the 2010 school year by next month so you may want to ask the singapore school form teacher for the assesments of those courses that your kids already took this term.

And before you leave, go for your H1N1 jabs, its easier to get this done in sgp and I think not too expensive at $30. H1N1 already declared not present in Canada. And while you're at it might as well get the flu jab too. At least you won't fall sick so easily for a while after you get here. If you want, go for dental checkup too.

Check out this link http://www.hcdsb.org/eligibility.asp for some idea what the school will need from your kids.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

May be for Mississauga and the Region of Peel, but I do not believe it applies to Toronto, and for sure not St. Michael's Choir School, because the boys are required to sing at one of the Sunday masses or Saturday 5pm mass.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Charlie9,

Before I try to recall my situation, allow me to make another suggestion re: English ......

Noted, Sir.

It is almost 29 years since I arrived in Toronto .......... with $1,500 and two suitcases

Admirable courage and determination. Definitely a not quitter characteristic. My salute to you.

Regards :smile:

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Charlie9,

With respect to schools ...... to attend a Catholic School
Is Chatholic school preferred over the other public school? Why?

Personally, I do not favour colleges in Canada.
With due respect, is there any particular reason why colleges are not favoured by you?

Allow me to re-read your posts to determine whether or not I can think of other matters which I may be able to make any suggestion(s)
You are such a nice guy. Thanks.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43,

Address for PR Card, schools and such
SafeHomeStay and the likes does come across as a good choice for a month's stay because:
1. I think the place offers an opportunity for new immigrants to mingle with and exchange useful findings related to settling in Toronto. This is important for ppl like me who knows no one in Toronto
2. It's room rates seems to be reasonable
The above reasons are valid only if what the operator posted on their website and the review posting by others who had stayed there is true.

For short stays, Staybridge definitely offers better quality accomodation than SafeHomeStay. However, SafeHomeStay does seem to offer a good opportunity to interact with other new immigrants though I am not sure if any good will come out of it.

After reading how important the address is from you, I am sure a semi-permanent accomodation (6 months to a year) is better way to settle in if it can be arrange in advance.

I have not narrowed down to any location. My ideal location would be one that is not too ethnically based nor too far from Toronto proper and with a middle class income community.

My research so far had Missisauga, at the top of my list, for its appeal as a growing new city full of potential and good mix of ethnic groups. Scarborough came in second for its ease of connectivity to downtown Toronto but too ethnically centred. Richmond Hill and Markham came in highly recommended but I need to look into these areas more before I can consider them.

I think you might like locations west of the airport. Start with Mississauga, consider Oakville, Halton Hills, and going further southwest to Burlington, Hamilton or even beyond. These areas are more more evenly mixed culturally.

Bingo, bro Dole43, you seems to know me well or are we alike in our thoughts?

You have also perfectly outlined the process I am adopting in searching for residential location. :smile:

Oh yes, if your time permits, please do recommend accomodation in the areas you mentioned west of Toronto as an alternative to SafeHomeStay. Thanks in advance.

The ease of travelling to/from and proximity to where I might get an income source, be it employment or investment (biz/property) is another important consideration for my choice of a residential location.

I will be grateful if there is more advice on this matter. Thanks.

Education
I just dropped by at a secondary school to enquire, there's no clear answer for your son. I assume he's 1992 .....
I am speechless by your kind act, all I can say now is another heartfelt thank you.

My son is born in 1991 and I guess you are right in that
the only way to find out is to come take the assessment and then see how many credits the school wants to transfer

Your kids would have completed only half of the 2010 school year .... ask the singapore school form teacher for the assesments of those courses that your kids already took this term.
Noted. Thanks

Banking
The Chase branch is good. So is the one in Hurontario Mississauga downtown
Noted. Thanks.

Health Matters
... go for your H1N1 jabs, its easier.....
Noted. Thanks

You are such a nice helpful gentlemen.

Best regards

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Charlie9,

Is Catholic school preferred over the other public school? Why?

With due respect, is there any particular reason why colleges are not favoured by you?

You are such a nice guy. Thanks.

There are Catholics who switched to the TDSB or public school system because they believed that there are more and probably better teachers and more courses in the public school system. We attend Catholic schools because we are Catholics and Catholic schools have religion. Each individual's preference dependent on each perspective and choice.

Personally, I do not favour Polytechnic and colleges, because university provides one with a better alternative to advancement, and a degree allows an individual to pursue post-grad or MBA, whereas a college diploma may enable you to attend a university. In the old days (say during my time), usually those who do not qaulify to attend a university, would go to a polytechnic or college.

If you get to know me, you may change your mind, that is I am usually not a nice guy, or at least not a nice guy when I was much younger.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
... I am sure a semi-permanent accomodation (6 months to a year) is better way to settle in if it can be arrange in advance.

I have not narrowed down to any location. My ideal location would be one that is not too ethnically based nor too far from Toronto proper and with a middle class income community.

My research so far had Missisauga, at the top of my list ...

Roughly speaking, the public and catholic schools seem to be kind of 'paired'. You see one school, the other one is nearby. Many times they are separated by their school fields, side by side, or back to back, or across the street.

Here's the link to MLS zoomed in to Mississauga
http://www.realtor.ca/map.aspx?&vs=...C:43.578028109999984, -79.58084106;curView:0;

I met a cantonese speaking HK guy who said this school is good, it offers the IB program, meaning its graduates can go to unis in US, Europe, I don't know. Anyway this guy wants to buy a house near this school.
http://johnfraserss.peelschools.org/

Download the PDF map to view the school boundaries.
http://gweb.peelschools.org/pls/www/www_schools.search_ward_result

Not many rentals in MLS for the area near John Fraser.
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9302216 This landlord has imposed conditions, apparently he's keeping his stuff in the house.
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9375719 This place doesn't look that nice, my opinion. How come dare not post more photos?
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9148278 This one is older, and a long drive to school. Again only 1 photo.

This school ward is adjacent on the west, no famous IB schools here to my knowledge. But note the rentals are higher for these newish houses.
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9370307
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9118047
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9344152
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9316868

There's a listing somewhere that shows the rankings of the secondary schools, 7/10 and above is good. Google it.

While you're at it, do the same for different parts of the cities. One tip, use google earth satellite, you see the spider web pattern, its suburban houses, rows upon rows of them. You can bet there's a mall, amenities and groceries somewhere in there, and of course schools too. I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like and fits your budget. The closer to Lake Ontario lakeshore the nicer the homes generally, with prices to match.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Charlie9,

We are not christian and hence we will just go for public school.

I share the same sentiment as you. Previously i.e. as late as 5 or 6 years ago, people still think that Poly is for weaker students who cannot make it to the JC but it has all changed now.

Nowadays, a lot of good students with As and Bs in their 'O' Level result had chosen the Poly path to a U degree. My son is one of them. However it seems the education system in sg as well as in Canada have not catch up with the trend yet.

It is not a normal occurrence that someone confess that he is not a nice guy :o. However you have been showing the nicer side of you in this thread and I hope this thread will bring out the good side of you too. :smile:

BTW, do we have to declare all our overseas assets when we land or we can do that later?

Kind regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43,

Thanks for the links and will check them out. Does those rental advertised include furnitures?

BTW, someone mentioned about Daviesville to me as a good residential location. Any comments?

Also, I am about to open a Canadian Premier account from here. Is there any particular RM you would like to recommend in the two Mississauga HSBC branches you mentioned earlier?

Kind regards

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh??? Canada have not catch up with the trend yet?Singapore is one generation behind
In the late 70's,to get into university Gen Sc/Arts program , a student ONLY need to pass(50%) his/her high school exams(Biz, Eng, Law and Med/Den had higher requirements) Students need grades of 60% or better to get technical institutes(aka poly) . Not only that, lots of programs required a student to . Did your son had to submit a career investigation report when he applied to Poly?? The 80's recession saw unemployed university grads heading to polys in record numbers. Have you heard of this phrase...If you want an education, go to university.If you want a career/job, go to technical institute(poly)

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Declaration of Assets

I do not understand your question re: declaration of assets.

Do you mean assets to follow you, or declaration of assets vis-a-vis Canada Revenue Agency ("CRA")? I believe that it may be to your advantage to declare all the assets which will follow your arrival in Canada, to avoid any customs duty. With respect to CRA, the T1 or personal income tax return requires a taxpayer to indicate whether the taxpayer has any foreign assets which exceed $100,000.00.

Evaluate the consequences of non-declaration.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi MeiLiewwan,

The 80's recession saw unemployed university grads heading to polys in record numbers
Oh yes, I recalled that now. Thanks for pointing that out.

But later in the late 90's onwards,because of the fierce competition for the limited number of places offered in sg u, there's no guarantee that students will be admitted for undergrad studies even with good 'A' level result.

Hence a lot of good students in sg choose to go poly to ensure themselves are qualified to get a job first and pursue a degree after. Some form of insurance or kiasuism I guess. There had been a lot of debate in the ST then with some claiming that such students 'rob' the chances of weaker students in getting a diploma for their survival.

If you want an education, go to university.If you want a career/job, go to technical institute(poly)
Brighter Gen X in sg nowadays seems to want both :smile:

Regards

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: university vs polytechnic / college

Hi Charlie9,

Nowadays, a lot of good students with As and Bs in their 'O' Level result had chosen the Poly path to a U degree. My son is one of them. However it seems the education system in sg as well as in Canada have not catch up with the trend yet.

Kind regards

What about the trend which you referred to?
I do not follow such trend, or trend pertaining to fashion trends.
Perhaps, you may wish to evaluate the appropriateness and usefulness of the trend of attending at a polytechnic or college rather than a university.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Charlie9,

My apology for not making my question clear.

Whatever I bring along when I land, I will declare including the 'goods to follow' list.

As for my properties and funds that is not in Canada, do I have to declare at the point of landing?

From your reply, does it mean that I only declare them to CRA later on in my income tax form when I sell the property(ies) and transfer the funds to Canada?

Please pardon my ignorance in this subject matter.

Regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

It seems likely that I may need to come back to Singapore for a week or two within a month after I land to settle some matters.

This would mean I would not have received my PR card yet when I leave Canada and from what I gathered from the net, there would be some hassle to re-enter Canada as a PR.

Any advice?

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
BTW, do we have to declare all our overseas assets when we land or we can do that later?

For federal skilled workers applicants, at some point around the time CIC requests for medicals and before they grant approval, they would have included a form called 'Personal Net Worth' that the applicant is supposed to fill in, one for the applicant, and one for the spouse. I'm don't know what category you applied under, but I suppose there must be something similar.

That form starts off giving the impression that its for the minimum sum to bring, but looking further down the form, there are indications its for everything you own.

Complete the attached personal worth statement. Submit it with all supporting documentation (ie. Bank books, bank statements etc.)
I took this to mean everything I own.

Do not submit property deeds and valuations
I took this to mean they want to hear about property too, but don't need supporting documents.

Please note that subsection 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires applicants to "answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose ofthe examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires."
In other words, tell them everything.

In addition, subsection 40(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that "a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act.
Here, they shift the onus of declaring info to the applicant, and gives a warning for direct or indirect misrepresentation. If they ever find out, deportation maybe?

As for declaring overseas assets later, I don't know how to go about telling CIC any new asset-related info once landed. One thing, the filing of income tax is very complicated, especially the part of declaring worldwide income. If anyone is hiding anything, they'll probably trip up at this stage.

I hope this answers your question.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

It seems likely that I may need to come back to Singapore for a week or two within a month after I land to settle some matters.

This would mean I would not have received my PR card yet when I leave Canada and from what I gathered from the net, there would be some hassle to re-enter Canada as a PR.

Any advice?

You'll definitely need the PR card to re-enter Canada. I don't think it is simply a matter of hassle that can be resolved by explaining and negotiating, I think its simply cannot get past the Canada immigration officer at the checkpoint without the card.

One way is to get your family remaining here to receive the card and DHL it to you in Singapore. Hopefully DHL doesn't lose it in transit.

You may have to plan your moving in/out of your temp accomodation very closely, especially if you're not here to monitor the move. Also, what if the card arrives late and the temp accomodation people act blur? What if CIC has problem with issuing your card and sends a letter to request you to see them at CIC office in downtown Toronto? That's what happened to me, then I waited a further 6 weeks before I finally got my card in the mail.

Closer to your move date, if you really don't have any better address to give, you can use mine if you want.