• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is the Workers' Party too quiet for Singaporeans?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
With state media covering the PAP and YPAP making so much noise on the Internet, the silence from WP is quite deafening, using a well worn cliche. No discussions, no debate and I guess little profile outside cyberspace.

Maybe its time, for Low and the CEC to mature and allow WP members to take part in robust and engaging discussion and debate with netizens in their private capacity and as thinking and assertive individuals.

Its such a shame that the Net which the PAP has difficulty controlling is not capitalised. Look at the SDP - first class presence on the Net, constantly in the face of Netizens and not everything said is right or acceptable by the general public.

Anyone else feels the same.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. I hope Low is tuning in and gettting the idea. Maybe being Chinese ed, he finds breeching a new medium in English a challenge altho I would say he should trust his more Internet-savvy youthwing within his Party more to do a good job in English, if nec enlisting Sylvia's help. I believe he is the rather fuddy-duddy type who doesnt trust or is suspicious of the new media very much and does not know it enough if it will bring him more trouble with the law/libel etc than benefits. On the other hand, he may still believe only in plodding his way thru his ward diligently and meeting and in-yr-face encounters to feel his way around and letting his constituents feel his. A case of preference for the brick-and-mortar approach as opposed to the click and mouse approach. SDP is different since CSJ is comfy in the new media. Even CST's group is also not as gungho in the new media.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Worker Party has 1 + 1 = 3% of seats in Parliament.

How much noise do one expect WP to make?

Life is not complicated. The peasants have already sent out the straightforward messages through their votes last GE that they don't want the oppositions in Parliament by voting in the PAP MPs in all contestable constituencies.

Thus why should the oppositions make so much noise? The peasants have already tell them frankly to shut up.

You want the Oppositions, Vote them into Parliament. We all rejected the Oppositions every GE then expect them to do check and balances in Parliament with just 2 MPs and robust, engaging discussion, debate with peasants outside of Parliament after being defeated and humiliated every GE.

Send them to Parliament, the only place that matter for politicians.

grumble about LTK?
Did any of you voted LTK in? most likely no.
LTK is directly answerable to only Hougang residents as he is their MP. As the leader of Worker Party, he is not answerable to any of us since none of their candidates are elected into parliament. Even if you vote for WP last GE, it's useless too as in a plurality voting system - defeated votes are wasted votes. our votes mean nothing in defeat.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The WP is SMART to remain silent and give enough rope for the YPAP to hang themselves. If the WP members opened their mouths, then all the firepower of the PAP would shift onto them. Some WP members may even have their personal data like jay-walking fines, not flushing toilets, littering etc made public.

For those who are deemed a serious threat, there is always the court to mete out expensive cash awards for libel suits brought against WP members!

With state media covering the PAP and YPAP making so much noise on the Internet, the silence from WP is quite deafening, using a well worn cliche. No discussions, no debate and I guess little profile outside cyberspace.

Maybe its time, for Low and the CEC to mature and allow WP members to take part in robust and engaging discussion and debate with netizens in their private capacity and as thinking and assertive individuals.

Its such a shame that the Net which the PAP has difficulty controlling is not capitalised. Look at the SDP - first class presence on the Net, constantly in the face of Netizens and not everything said is right or acceptable by the general public.

Anyone else feels the same.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My fear is that they missing out on the opportunity to connect with Singaporeans on a medium that cuts thru a whole swath of society especially the young voters.

I am cognizant of the fact that speaking up has its challenges especially where the PAP and its intolerance of contrarian views is well known. I am not sure if cost benefit analysis does show a net benefit of staying quiet. WP can choose to set its own agenda and still raise a profile.

I am not sure if it is just me but Chiam and Potong Pasir still get coverage from the press and that because, Chiam is quite confrontational about council vs HDB issues and his habit of dropping gems like forming a GRC team.

WP gets coverage when it speaks in Parliament and nothing else. NSP was in a worse situation as they did not have parliamentary presence but with GMS on board, its appears more lively.

Agreed. I hope Low is tuning in and gettting the idea. Maybe being Chinese ed, he finds breeching a new medium in English a challenge altho I would say he should trust his more Internet-savvy youthwing within his Party more to do a good job in English, if nec enlisting Sylvia's help.

Worker Party has 1 + 1 = 3% of seats in Parliament.

How much noise do one expect WP to make?

The WP is SMART to remain silent and give enough rope for the YPAP to hang themselves.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
My fear is that they missing out on the opportunity to connect with Singaporeans on a medium that cuts thru a whole swath of society especially the young voters.

I am cognizant of the fact that speaking up has its challenges especially where the PAP and its intolerance of contrarian views is well known. I am not sure if cost benefit analysis does show a net benefit of staying quiet. WP can choose to set its own agenda and still raise a profile.

I am not sure if it is just me but Chiam and Potong Pasir still get coverage from the press and that because, Chiam is quite confrontational about council vs HDB issues and his habit of dropping gems like forming a GRC team.

WP gets coverage when it speaks in Parliament and nothing else. NSP was in a worse situation as they did not have parliamentary presence but with GMS on board, its appears more lively.

Well I believe WP have its own reasons in keepng silent & formulating a winning strategy to capture a GRC & that probably be Aljunied GRC

Silent means surprise :biggrin:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better they be quiet and get things done than be outspoken and get nothing done. No news does not necessary mean bad news. :biggrin:

Let's all hope they succeed in taking 1 or more GRC! :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just felt that they are too quiet. Sometimes a little bit of noise helps to tell the country that they are still active. Maybe they can get some of their members to get involved in discussions, debates etc on the internet. No0 need to represent the party but do indicate some association.

I remember that CIA yearbook missed out WP altogether but had SDP and SDA. The latest one does not mention LOw but Sylvia as leader. Thats really poor form.

Better they be quiet and get things done than be outspoken and get nothing done. No news does not necessary mean bad news. :biggrin:

Let's all hope they succeed in taking 1 or more GRC! :biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think what many political orgs do as a one-off big-bang activity is actually done on a weekly basis with regular ease by WP. Presumably what you have described is a result of the time consumption. But that could be the reason for them nabbing several percentages from PAP.

If I analyze assuming they meet 2000 people in a week, this adds to 100000 people in a year. After 3 years since 2006, 300000 have seen the WP. By election time perhaps nearly half-a-million have met the WP. While the assumed figure isn't significant, SBF and all elsewhere add together would not hit that number or a tenth of fraction of it.

However not all of the assumed number would vote for WP or the opp and similarly not all netizens would vote for them too. There is no one type of voter or one crowd. It depends on what crowd a party wants to appeal to. Even then each is greatly diverse.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if 300,000 includes the same people that one tends to meet in the same location often etc. Also meeting people and addressing current issues are 2 different things. What people want to know are things such as WP take on concerns/issues, are prepared to represent them and that can only be done if they are engaged in talking about issues.

There is also the herd mentality where if more people talk about WP, the profile increases and WP becomes top of mind. Thats the basis of marketing and advertising. I think WP is not top of mind but certainly recognisable.

I suspect that WP's votes did have marginal but valuable help from GMS, Melvin, Ti Lik and Andrew who kept WP on a high profile prior to GE2006 by engaging netizens. I suppose the "quieter" WP will be tested at the next WP.

I think what many political orgs do as a one-off big-bang activity is actually done on a weekly basis with regular ease by WP. Presumably what you have described is a result of the time consumption. But that could be the reason for them nabbing several percentages from PAP.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if 300,000 includes the same people that one tends to meet in the same location often etc. Also meeting people and addressing current issues are 2 different things. What people want to know are things such as WP take on concerns/issues, are prepared to represent them and that can only be done if they are engaged in talking about issues.

There is also the herd mentality where if more people talk about WP, the profile increases and WP becomes top of mind. Thats the basis of marketing and advertising. I think WP is not top of mind but certainly recognisable.

I suspect that WP's votes did have marginal but valuable help from GMS, Melvin, Ti Lik and Andrew who kept WP on a high profile prior to GE2006 by engaging netizens. I suppose the "quieter" WP will be tested at the next WP.

I am pretty sure the smaller netizen population here are also the same people. As for what goes on I can't really tell, there might be a lot more debate than we think. But based on the people I know the majority aren't too inclined, so I would think WP would face the same issue and say "hi, bye" to most people.

But you are right that WP, like all parties, have to face the electorate on what they have done. I have said that I am not too concerned about WP alone but the opp as a whole because there are 5 of them (SDP, SDA, NSP, RP) and if netizens think these 4 are going in the right way except WP then they will enjoy the growth of the former 4 and the latter pays the price but you still get the opp you want.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all of the opposition parties are in the same boat except for SDP but they can't seem to resonate with the voters and thats a different thing.

WP has a leadership role to play because of their brand and their history and not mention their seat in parliament. Chiam is not well and his party is not well setup as WP. I hope that WP does recognise its role as leader.

Just wish there is more presence all round with the opposition camp.

I am not too concerned about WP alone but the
opp as a whole because there are 5 of them (SDP, SDA, NSP, RP) and if netizens think these 4 are going in the right way except WP then they will enjoy the growth of the former 4 and the latter pays the price but you still get the opp you want.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another age-old cliché: It's better to keep one's mouth shut and let others wonder whether one's stupid, than to open it and remove all doubts.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

The question as always is Is it ENOUGH having shook hands and said hi to 300,000 people to carry it to 50.1% in a GRC , if it is serious about that aim to begin with ?

No one doubts the importance of kissing babies, waving the party flag, the ground work, the door to door vertical marathons but can more be done or should more be done ?

Food for thought, the historical get elected by stealth, shake hands attend funerals, stay clear of the media style worked for LTK and CST in an SMC by stealth scenario coupled with crappy PAP MPs. Can it or will it work for a GRC ? Can what effectively worked for one SMC work for five helmed by a heavy weight minister ?

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

The question as always is Is it ENOUGH having shook hands and said hi to 300,000 people to carry it to 50.1% in a GRC , if it is serious about that aim to begin with ?

Carry it with the WP or opp then. I'm not here to answer questions for the opp.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I was reading TOC interview of WP Youth Wing Leaders Choon Yong and Swee Bee today. What was more interesting are the comments posted by many Singaporeans in that article.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/12/milder-but-more-credible/

Then I remember about this thread started by Scroobal.

Interesting enough, majority of those who commented were disappointed with WP's lack of voices in various issues. Some even stated categorically that they may just spoil their votes if WP stands in their wards.

Some even mention Yaw Shin Leong's choice of voting PAP as the reason of their disappointment and spoiling their votes.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone better tell Low that meet and greet is not a strategy. Its an appetiser at best.

I was reading TOC interview of WP Youth Wing Leaders Choon Yong and Swee Bee today. What was more interesting are the comments posted by many Singaporeans in that article.

Interesting enough, majority of those who commented were disappointed with WP's lack of voices in various issues. Some even stated categorically that they may just spoil their votes if WP stands in their wards.

Some even mention Yaw Shin Leong's choice of voting PAP as the reason of their disappointment and spoiling their votes.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I nearly fell over when I saw this by WP youth wing.

How the hell did energy and food security become the 2 most important public policy issue? I think it better they keep a low profile, keep quiet and follow a "cautious path"

TOC: List two of the most important public policy issues in Singapore that you think needs change. What recommendations would you make?

CY: The first would be energy policy. It is a given fact that fossil fuels are faced with two challenges: Firstly, a finite amount that is not renewable and secondly, higher CO2 emissions that contributes to the Global Warming problem. There is a commendable effort in recent years to change the local fuel mix such that approximately 80% of the fuel used for power generation is natural gas, which emits less CO2 when compared to other fossil fuels...............................

...............My second concern is with food security. We currently import most of our food from overseas. Local production of food is limited to mainly fish, eggs, vegetables and chicken, which constitute a low percentage of the total amount of such food consumed here. It is already estimated that with Climate Change and the increasing price of crude oil, food prices will remain high going forward. There was a recent announcement of a Food Diversification Fund and Food Capability Development Fund, worth a total of $5 million to enhance local food supply. However, the news report seem to suggest that these funds are for the refinement of farming methods of current food types like fish farming. There needs to be a separate effort to increase the food type in local production.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

You will have to excuse Choon Yong :_)) These are I believe his pet topics and pet concerns of course some opposition politicians not only CY have not realized fully that what is one's PET concern might not necessarily be an electoral concern

Locke