• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Is MacBook of any use ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 12" MacBook is lighter than MacAir. The problem is it doesn't have USB ports and all that stuff. Okay, it only has one hole in the machine. If you use it for AC adapter, then you will have used up your quota.

It's priced the same as 13" MacBook Pro that comes with all the holes that you normally need.

So what's the MacBook for ?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You can use this, I do, it's always in my bag

IMG_20171214_204855_480x640.jpg
IMG_20171214_204918_480x640.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its uses the cheapest processor in the Mac range but the price is not. For that price, get the Pro or Air. If you only surf and like colours, then maybe get it.

Ah...then the MacBook might deserve a second look. It's very light and very cute, though not as sturdy as the Pro. I fly around with just 10 kg or sometimes 7 kg baggage allowance, so weight is important.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ah...then the MacBook might deserve a second look. It's very light and very cute, though not as sturdy as the Pro. I fly around with just 10 kg or sometimes 7 kg baggage allowance, so weight is important.
I'm probably one of the firsts people who got hold of the Macbook when it launched when I upgraded from a Air 11".

After using like 5-6 months I found it's slow, yes slower than the Air, was pretty disappointed. So I waited for the Pro. Got it immediately it launched now very happy with the Pro 13" and my MacBook is somewhere in the drawer still very new will use it for home entertainment, if I have the time to set up hopefully soon.

My Pro
IMG_20171214_232353.jpg

Love the Touch Bar
IMG_20171214_232420.jpg

Oh by the way this is very light when compared to the old Pro

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Air 11 is brilliant and fast. The moment you turn it on it'd good to go. Also small and light. Unfortunately it had to make way for MacBook 12 which is slower, pricier and does not have the slots. Sad to see Air 11 discontinued. Will probably end up going to Air 13 or Pro.

QUOTE="Froggy, post: 2671329, member: 2522"].
I'm probably one of the firsts people who got hold of the Macbook when it launched when I upgraded from a Air 11".

After using like 5-6 months I found it's slow, yes slower than the Air, was pretty disappointed. So I waited for the Pro. Got it immediately it launched now very happy with the Pro 13" and my MacBook is somewhere in the drawer still very new will use it for home entertainment, if I have the time to set up hopefully soon.

My Pro
View attachment 35258

Love the Touch Bar
View attachment 35259[/QUOTE]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Its uses the cheapest processor in the Mac range but the price is not. For that price, get the Pro or Air. If you only surf and like colours, then maybe get it.

You're absolutely correct. When I bought the MacBook brain was overwhelmed by the fact its 12" and very thin and did not look at the CPU which is a mobile one which means more for like for phone or pad. Damn.

The Air 11 is brilliant and fast. The moment you turn it on it'd good to go. Also small and light. Unfortunately it had to make way for MacBook 12 which is slower, pricier and does not have the slots. Sad to see Air 11 discontinued. Will probably end up going to Air 13 or Pro.

Had used 3 Air 11" and extremely happy with it however age caught up and a larger screen is helpful but I could not accept the 13" or 15". What happened to the new Pro 13" is its smaller compared to the old its actually slightly bigger than the Macbook 12" as the frame got thinner around the perimeter, brilliant design.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Into my 2nd Air 11, love it. I was saved by someone who was standing next to me at Apple Store who pointed out the processor in MacBook. I was shocked because of the price. Thanks for the advice on Pro 13, it does look slicker, will certainly consider at the next change. I also note that both Air and Pro have longer battery life than MacBook 12.

You're absolutely correct. When I bought the MacBook brain was overwhelmed by the fact its 12" and very thin and did not look at the CPU which is a mobile one which means more for like for phone or pad. Damn.

Had used 3 Air 11" and extremely happy with it however age caught up and a larger screen is helpful but I could not accept the 13" or 15". What happened to the new Pro 13" is its smaller compared to the old its actually slightly bigger than the Macbook 12" as the frame got thinner around the perimeter, brilliant design.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Into my 2nd Air 11, love it. I was saved by someone who was standing next to me at Apple Store who pointed out the processor in MacBook. I was shocked because of the price. Thanks for the advice on Pro 13, it does look slicker, will certainly consider at the next change. I also note that both Air and Pro have longer battery life than MacBook 12.

I'm ok with the battery life of the MB12" as long as it gives me at least 5hrs I'm happy, till now I still love the size especially the thickness or rather it being very thin.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the macbook 12-inch comes with either a 1.2 ghz core m3 or 1.3 ghz core i5 processor. the former is configurable to core i5 then to the faster 1.4ghz core i7 while the latter is configurable to core i7. there are micro screws on the back and the intel cores are upgradable by bringing it in.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always select an i7 processor for all my Apple & PCs i.e. MacBook Pro, iMac & PC running win 7 because you never know if you'll need the extra processing power.

With Apple upgrading the OS on a regular basis the extra processing power will come in useful in extending the lifespan of the hardware.

The main reason I got the 27 inch iMac is for the larger screen. The iMac has an i7 processor, SSD drive & 40 GB of RAM. It may appear to be overkill for my use but the SSD is only available from Apple & is not available as an upgrade option.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tried someone's i7 processor Mac and it is indeed very fast, impressive.

I always select an i7 processor for all my Apple & PCs i.e. MacBook Pro, iMac & PC running win 7 because you never know if you'll need the extra processing power.

With Apple upgrading the OS on a regular basis the extra processing power will come in useful in extending the lifespan of the hardware.

The main reason I got the 27 inch iMac is for the larger screen. The iMac has an i7 processor, SSD drive & 40 GB of RAM. It may appear to be overkill for my use but the SSD is only available from Apple & is not available as an upgrade option.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i carry a macbook 12" for travel and the intel 1.2ghz core m3 plus graphics processor is powerful enough for some of the most demanding gaming functions, not all but some. for programmers, gamers, dj's and musicians, go for the macbook pro if you travel a lot. for sinkie uncles into lighter carryons and basic laptop use, macbook with either m3 or i5 will do. it does not have a good heat sink thus you need to elevate the back end for air flow at the bottom to cool it off if you are playing a massive multiplayer online game at the spur of the moment while waiting for a late cummer at a cafe. for example, i play custom melee on sc2 in battle.net with "evolution pit" games, and the number of units per player can scale to over 1000. for a multiplayer game of 12 per map, total combatants may range beyond 12,000. plus builds, cannons and defenses, all active playable units may total over 50,000. with the m3, the whole game gets laggy after 69k. but so far it's reasonably manageable at an average of 23k. and the graphics in that game is impeccable. that's typically my litmus test for any processor plus gpu. do not underestimate the m3. if you're a serious gamer, get an imac with a bigger screen, more powerful processor (i7), graphics processor, and it offers better ergonomics and a more effective heat sink standing up.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MacAir was out of contention from the word go because of it's extremely thick bezel. I'm going for small thin bezels, whatever it's called, nano edge or infinity edge. Dell XPS13 is by far the most impressive, but it's Winshit, unfortunately.

As for Froggy, how long are you able to surf via WiFi with your Pro 13 ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no more macbook air on sale at the store anymore. just like the ipad, it’s now simply macbook or macbook pro. you can still buy refurbished and excess units online from 3rd party sources.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, bezel is thicker than older pro to make it thinner and still accommodate innards. Best to go for pro 13 then.
The MacAir was out of contention from the word go because of it's extremely thick bezel. I'm going for small thin bezels, whatever it's called, nano edge or infinity edge. Dell XPS13 is by far the most impressive, but it's Winshit, unfortunately.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Macbook Air is terrible. Imagine a windows laptop resolution from 5 years ago. Also the bezels are ridiculously thick.

Using Macbook Pro now. Quite a good machine.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Am afraid can't really be sure, you see I don't work so hard as in I usually in office between 10am to 2pm and the Pro dutifully pulled me through, then at home is another 1hr max. I charge overnight.