• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Japan really that great?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the fallacy of "great nation" theory. Go to the US (supposedly greatest and richest nation on earth) and see the homeless on the streets. How does it feel to be citizen of the greatest and richest nation on earth, and be penniless, jobless and homeless? Ask them.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the fallacy of "great nation" theory. Go to the US (supposedly greatest and richest nation on earth) and see the homeless on the streets. How does it feel to be citizen of the greatest and richest nation on earth, and be penniless, jobless and homeless? Ask them.

There will be always :(a percentage of poor people in every country.:(

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There will be always :(a percentage of poor people in every country.:(

Exactly. Japan has its share of poor and homeless too. In the 1990s, they lined the passageways of major city centre transit stations, living in cardboard "houses". In the 2000s, they were "evicted" out to less eye-sore places like more rural riversides and bridges.

Many of them actually have jobs or pensions, but don't have families and couldn't afford proper housing.

A

Alu862

And so that engineering student is wrong to make such a statement. It also means the SDP is wrong to publicise such a statement. It makes thme just as bad as the PAP in reporting.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And so that engineering student is wrong to make such a statement. It also means the SDP is wrong to publicise such a statement. It makes thme just as bad as the PAP in reporting.

Bad? Perhaps not. Just ignorance and blinded or impaired faith, perhaps.

Those who have been to Japan in the 90s would surely see and know what I'm talking about. You have to see it believe it, yes. But don't let your vision be guided by tourguides or politicians. Be open to the fact that what you don't see, or are prevented from seeing, could be as real too.

A

Alu862

If the SDP doesn't want old people to wipe tables then who do they expect to wipe the table? Certainly not the young or those in their 30-40s

jw5

Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/s...cials-stop-democrats-from-distributing-flyers

"I have been to Japan many times," one first-year Engineering student said, "and I've never seen seventy- and eighty-year-olds sweeping the floor and cleaning tables like in Singapore. It's so sad."

Is Japan really so great than old folks don't clean tables? Has that engineering student been through out he whole of Japan?
I don't think Japan is that great. The country's economy has not been doing great for many years now, the country still has a dark history of world war 2 atrocities, and people are people - there will be good and bad people in every country.
But one thing I do admire about the Japan people is that they are considerate and have social graces, even if it is just a public persona. You won't see most of them behaving inappropriately in public places, as you see in most other countries. I emphasize "most". :smile:

A

Alu862

This shows the horrible objectivity the SDP has whne it comes to reporting.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a big fan of Japan. They do everything to remain true to their own culture and will not employ foreigners unless it's necessary. They'd rather spend millions on a robot than employ some cheap chinaman or keling to do their labour. That's why their culture is so robust and everyone who visits Japan loves the experience.

That said i've also been to the poor districts of Tokyo, and seen many poor people sleeping in rows out in the open. Every country will have its share of the down and our. But, in our case, wasn't there a time we don't have so many of these people?? So why can't we go back to the nineties when there were no beggars in sinkapore?? And if we can squander billions on overseas investments, why cant we use that money to shelter and feed our down and out??

I don't think Japan is that great. The country's economy has not been doing great for many years now, the country still has a dark history of world war 2 atrocities, and people are people - there will be good and bad people in every country.
But one thing I do admire about the Japan people is that they are considerate and have social graces, even if it is just a public persona. You won't see most of them behaving inappropriately in public places, as you see in most other countries. I emphasize "most". :smile:

jw5

Loyal
I'm a big fan of Japan. They do everything to remain true to their own culture and will not employ foreigners unless it's necessary. They'd rather spend millions on a robot than employ some cheap chinaman or keling to do their labour. That's why their culture is so robust and everyone who visits Japan loves the experience.

That said i've also been to the poor districts of Tokyo, and seen many poor people sleeping in rows out in the open. Every country will have its share of the down and our. But, in our case, wasn't there a time we don't have so many of these people?? So why can't we go back to the nineties when there were no beggars in sinkapore?? And if we can squander billions on overseas investments, why cant we use that money to shelter and feed our down and out??
I didn't enjoy the experience when I visited Japan. To each his own. :smile:
There are now more poor people in SG because the country and the government has progressively become more and more concerned about moving ahead and about how the general population and economy is doing. Ultimately there will be those who are left behind. Well run corporation but poor governance.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you ask a Westerner, "Japan?" He'll most likely answer, "Yeah, what about it?"

If you ask about Singapore, he'll most probably answer, " Where the hell is that?"

A

Alu862

The fct is the SDP uses terrible examples to back up their arguments. Even in the US, old people do wipe tables. Yet when I go to say a certain section of New york, you do not see that.

Who should wipe the table? Even more, do you think simply investing in the elderly will stop them from wiping the table.