• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it more advantageous to have an English name for my career?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I came to Toronto in the 1980's, the HR Manager suggested that I adopt an English name so that it will be easier for the others.
I informed him that I like the name that my parents gave me. Besides, if I could pronounce the names of the 40 plus new employees (Italian, Polish, Slovenian, etc.) in my batch, my name is not any more difficult.
After that, the HR Manager "labeled" me stubborn.
On hindsight, adopting an English name, like David, Michael, or Patrick, may have helped dealing with colleagues and clients, especially when leaving a message. More so, when I had my own practice.
Over the past few decades, I have noticed many of my schoolmates, in Singapore, has adopted English names.

ShyGuy

Alfrescian
Loyal
You could Korean-nize your name e.g. instead of Lim you use 'Kim'. The superficial ones will think better of you.
I like this idea of having a name that reflects Asian and yet easy to remember for foreigners. Aside from Kim, do you have any other options for me?

Think of it as a nickname as a convenience for others to address you.
Even Xi Jinping is addressed as Winnie Xi, so what's the big issue ?
Are you suggesting that I should have an English name that resembles my facial and overall body features?

Yes, generally an English name does help in career be it for interviews, business development or building up rapport amongst colleagues.

However, I would advise only to use single English names that are spelled properly. Some people try to be creative by adding two English names (e.g. Christopher Wayne Lim), deliberately misspell established names (e.g. Kevin becomes Kavyyn Tan) or worse still come out with mish mash ones that are other languages or gibberish (e.g. Kenzori Ng).

While exotic names are fun for pimple faced teenagers at school or to show off your style in a low IQ social gathering, they are are potential deal killers in a professional setting. Too often you instantly get labelled as an immature loser as a first impression.
I like your good advice. I am thinking of Philemon. Do you think it's a good name?

Philemon is a good friend of Apostle Paul. Though Philemon is not a common name, it means love or friendliness.

When I came to Toronto in the 1980's, the HR Manager suggested that I adopt an English name so that it will be easier for the others.
I informed him that I like the name that my parents gave me. Besides, if I could pronounce the names of the 40 plus new employees (Italian, Polish, Slovenian, etc.) in my batch, my name is not any more difficult.
On hindsight, adopting an English name, like David, Michael, or Patrick, may have helped dealing with colleagues and clients, especially when leaving a message. More so, when I had my own practice.
Over the past few decades, I have noticed many of my schoolmates, in Singapore, has adopted English names.
Thank you for your kind advice. It's always advisable to ask for good advice from seniors like you because you guys got the benefit of hindsight.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have ever come across an idiot named Cistern Teo. Serious!
ROFL. Idiot probably doesn't even know what it means.

The strangest one I came across was an intern called Ravemucous (can't remember exact spelling) which the guy smugly announced to me is pronounced as Rah Veh Moo Koh. And yes, he's a Chinese. From what I heard he was a complete disaster in terms of work performance during his stint, I wondered what the HR was thinking when they hire him.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
ROFL. Idiot probably doesn't even know what it means.

The strangest one I came across was an intern called Ravemucous (can't remember exact spelling) which the guy smugly announced to me is pronounced as Rah Veh Moo Koh. And yes, he's a Chinese. From what I heard he was a complete disaster in terms of work performance during his stint, I wondered what the HR was thinking when they hire him.

I know one HK cunt who calls herself Kondome Chow. Pronounce as Kon-doo-mi whoa!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just graduated and enter the job market in Singapore.

I don't have an English name.

My AMDL boss and some of my foreigner colleagues have difficulty in pronouncing my name which is in HanYuPinYin.

Sometimes, I feel that because they have difficulty in pronouncing my name, I am left out of their companionship.

I mean I can understand from their standpoint.

If an Indian introduces himself to me with a name like Venkata Narasimha Rajuvaripeta, I would also say Hi, smile at him but in my heart say Bye, and forget about him too.

Should I just adopt a stylo-milo English name like Oliver or George?

It sounds easy to remember for my AMDL boss and also other foreigner colleagues.

What do you think? Any helpful suggestions?
No. It would be much better if u adopt a Hindi name as a sign to show u understand who decides ur fate. :cool:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese intelligentsia always had a habit of choosing their own names when they come of age. So I chose a common English name as a sign of the times. This however caused a bit of confusion, as I communicate with my counterparts remotely and insisted on addressing me in my given dialect name instead of an alias. So there's that. I don't believe there is a universally agreed answer to that conundrum, only the merits of each situation. :unsure:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know one HK cunt who calls herself Kondome Chow. Pronounce as Kon-doo-mi whoa!
there’s a hongkang influencer called aqua chow, sometimes known as chow aqua. last i heard kena murdered and bloody body left in 6.9-star hotel bathtub.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Chinese intelligentsia always had a habit of choosing their own names when they come of age. So I chose a common English name as a sign of the times. This however caused a bit of confusion, as I communicate with my counterparts remotely and insisted on addressing me in my given dialect name instead of an alias. So there's that. I don't believe there is a universally agreed answer to that conundrum, only the merits of each situation. :unsure:
did you germanize the name and call yourself “unker?”

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

My AMDL boss and some of my foreigner colleagues have difficulty in pronouncing my name which is in HanYuPinYin.

Sometimes, I feel that because they have difficulty in pronouncing my name, I am left out of their companionship.

If an Indian introduces himself to me with a name like Venkata Narasimha Rajuvaripeta, I would also say Hi, smile at him but in my heart say Bye, and forget about him too.

It sounds easy to remember for my AMDL boss and also other foreigner colleagues.

Gecko told her son Pinky that only chinese waiters have english names.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May be, consider a common and not unusual spelling name, such as David, Michael, Mark, Matthew, Stephen, Daniel, Thomas,
If you choose some weird name or one with unusual spelling, it defeats your purpose.
And please do not do like those from Hong Kong, using the family names of the English, such as Wilson, Truman, etc.

TheGreatWhite

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lol usually they will shorten it. Like in your example, they will call Ven or VN.