• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it more advantageous to have an English name for my career?

ShyGuy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just graduated and enter the job market in Singapore.

I don't have an English name.

My AMDL boss and some of my foreigner colleagues have difficulty in pronouncing my name which is in HanYuPinYin.

Sometimes, I feel that because they have difficulty in pronouncing my name, I am left out of their companionship.

I mean I can understand from their standpoint.

If an Indian introduces himself to me with a name like Venkata Narasimha Rajuvaripeta, I would also say Hi, smile at him but in my heart say Bye, and forget about him too.

Should I just adopt a stylo-milo English name like Oliver or George?

It sounds easy to remember for my AMDL boss and also other foreigner colleagues.

What do you think? Any helpful suggestions?

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

My AMDL boss and some of my foreigner colleagues have difficulty in pronouncing my name which is in HanYuPinYin.

Sometimes, I feel that because they have difficulty in pronouncing my name, I am left out of their companionship.

If an Indian introduces himself to me with a name like Venkata Narasimha Rajuvaripeta, I would also say Hi, smile at him but in my heart say Bye, and forget about him too.

It sounds easy to remember for my AMDL boss and also other foreigner colleagues.

Call yourself Cheebye. Even Angmoh can pronounce. Another Angmoh wannabe.

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are fuckin working in SG and need to learn how to pronounce our names regardless in pinyin, malay or indian form. assert yourself and be proud of your name

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes try peesai. Even when fake chink lky uturned and called sinkies to learn mandarin fake chinks have already overrun the cuntry

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You could Korean-nize your name e.g. instead of Lim you use 'Kim'. The superficial ones will think better of you.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think of it as a nickname as a convenience for others to address you.
Even Xi Jinping is addressed as Winnie Xi, so what's the big issue ?

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

My opinion is you should adopt a AMDK name.

Take for example if @Leongsam real name is Leong Ah Seow and he has no English name Sam.

This forum will be called Ah Seow Forum instead of Sammyboy Forum.

Would anyone want to visit Ah Seow Forum?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If your surname is Kok, then you should call yourself Harry. Harry Kok is very easy to remember.
What's your surname ? I can help you think of one.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Biden....

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small boy coming in here to ask a bunch of old cocks to choose an angmoh name for him? Very suspicious.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, generally an English name does help in career be it for interviews, business development or building up rapport amongst colleagues.

However, I would advise only to use single English names that are spelled properly. Some people try to be creative by adding two English names (e.g. Christopher Wayne Lim), deliberately misspell established names (e.g. Kevin becomes Kavyyn Tan) or worse still come out with mish mash ones that are other languages or gibberish (e.g. Kenzori Ng).

While exotic names are fun for pimple faced teenagers at school or to show off your style in a low IQ social gathering, they are are potential deal killers in a professional setting. Too often you instantly get labelled as an immature loser as a first impression.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, generally an English name does help in career be it for interviews, business development or building up rapport amongst colleagues.

However, I would advise only to use single English names that are spelled properly. Some people try to be creative by adding two English names (e.g. Christopher Wayne Lim), deliberately misspell established names (e.g. Kevin becomes Kavyyn Tan) or worse still come out with mish mash ones that are other languages or gibberish (e.g. Kenzori Ng).

While exotic names are fun for pimple faced teenagers at school or to show off your style in a low IQ social gathering, they are are potential deal killers in a professional setting. Too often you instantly get labelled as an immature loser as a first impression.

I have ever come across an idiot named Cistern Teo. Serious!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ceca names are the rage these days. recruiters working for tech firms will choose a sanskrit name over any chink names. the shorter the sanskrit name the more desirable. for sexample, sri can be the go to name for srinivasan. recruiters think you’ll be imbued with cosmic composure and compassion, karmic kalmness and kualities, plus indian intelligence and innovation.