• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Hyundai a good car?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my recommendation for inexpensive korean suv is the 2013 kia sorento. starting at usd23,150. fuel economy is 30mpg on freeway. beautifully sculpted, stunning style, head turner. imo, you don't need 4wd in sg. very little off-road driving, in fact nil. there's no snow, ice, rocks and dirt. 4wd suv's are very useful when you go into the mountains for skiing. no need for chains. just drive right thru' the chain checkpoint. very important when it's heavily snowing outside.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my recommendation for inexpensive korean suv is the 2013 kia sorento. starting at usd23,150. fuel economy is 30mpg on freeway. beautifully sculpted, stunning style, head turner. imo, you don't need 4wd in sg. very little off-road driving, in fact nil. there's no snow, ice, rocks and dirt. 4wd suv's are very useful when you go into the mountains for skiing. no need for chains. just drive right thru' the chain checkpoint. very important when it's heavily snowing outside.

I will still go for CRV to be safe :o:o

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
honda crv is a very popular and cute small suv with a good track record.

mazda-cx-7-8.jpg

Im not sure why Neddy mentioned CX9, there's CX7 which is nicer, the dashboard is nice.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
honda crv is a very popular and cute small suv with a good track record. but unfortunately i have no money and will have to live in wendy's van soon. :p

Nonsense. Honda CRV is the worst SUV i have ever driven. The engine is too underpowered for that heavy piece of crap. I will chose Santa Fe over Honda CRV anytime.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own money, first choice would be a Toyoto or a Honda. Hyundai would be third. No reason to doubt Korean makes on reliability, they are right up there amongst the best for consumer satistfaction.

Have fun.

Cheers!

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own money, first choice would be a Toyoto or a Honda. Hyundai would be third. No reason to doubt Korean makes on reliability, they are right up there amongst the best for consumer satistfaction.

Have fun.

Cheers!

Korean makes may have surpassed Japanese makes in terms of design but it is still not there yet in engine refinement and efficiency.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah I have to agree, they concentrate on the outside but the real stuff is still not there,,,its like nice see, not good to eat,,,but I do hope the Koreans catch up with both, that will be better for the consumers as it will give the Japanese a kick in the rear end,,and hopefully they will do better.

Korean makes may have surpassed Japanese makes in terms of design but it is still not there yet in engine refinement and efficiency.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

For a little less money, I don't expect them to be best in the market. But I would say they meet the expectations compared with others on the market. I will still pick the top Jap brands - mainly because of resale value. Top end, performance doesn't ring a bell with me but reliability does, so does maintenance and costs of operation - so Hyundai and Kia makes sense to me. Anyway, anything is better than an Alfa Romeo - the worst piece of shit in the industry. Unreliable, expensive to maintain and operatate, fucking agent not well stocked on parts, and nobody outside the dealership knows how to fix it! Don't ever get one.

Cheers!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup maintainance and reliability is a big + for me, however with the Hyundai,,their engine and gear boxes is still behind compared to Jap models. The ride and the make etc is still more solid in a Japanese made in Japan car..there are made in thailand hondas and toyotas in Perth now,,but still not as good as made in japan ones,,but japs are being outdone in cost due to the high yen,, that is why even Suzuki is planning to export from thailand and not japan,,,and the suzuki swift is like as 'aspirational' vehicle,,something different compared to just driving a hyundai etc. and its a top seller in Oz,,

I do hope the koreans and jap car makers up their game so that the consumers will benefit more,,,just my rants

For a little less money, I don't expect them to be best in the market. But I would say they meet the expectations compared with others on the market. I will still pick the top Jap brands - mainly because of resale value. Top end, performance doesn't ring a bell with me but reliability does, so does maintenance and costs of operation - so Hyundai and Kia makes sense to me. Anyway, anything is better than an Alfa Romeo - the worst piece of shit in the industry. Unreliable, expensive to maintain and operatate, fucking agent not well stocked on parts, and nobody outside the dealership knows how to fix it! Don't ever get one.

Cheers!

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only the following cars should be allowed on the roads:

1. Rolls Royce
2. Bentley
3. Mercedes
4. BMW
5. Audi
6. Honda
7. Toyota
8. Nissan

Everything else (including the performance cars like Porshe and Ferrari) belong in the junkyard.
Someone told me over Xmas Lunch that he has ordered a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe.
Another person suggests that the Japanese car makers have retreated and no longer improving on their products.
I have enough of continental cars. American cars are disappointing with poor steering.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I will not go for Accent or i20 that kind of Made-in-India rubbish. I just need a car that looks good and drive well and fit into my budget.

EH?? i20 Accent not bad, for a simple drive around neighbourhood car. Don't get a nissan MICRA!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wat wrong with Nissan Micra??

I wont get the Accent,,,drove a rental one and drinks 10L/100km that is freaking ridiculous for a 1.6L car,,,even my 1995 Mazda 626 which I got in 2003 drinks less than that,,and its a 2.2L car

EH?? i20 Accent not bad, for a simple drive around neighbourhood car. Don't get a nissan MICRA!

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you people actually driven a the newest range of Hyundai? Really not bad you know? Thats why Borneo Motors eat grass nowadays

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I think Santa Fe is good, but eat oil, thats what I heard, among your choices, I rather go get Mazda CX9. If you want a really good car, get that Joanne Peh's Land Rover Evoque, got 3 doors or 5 doors.

Land Rovers are a pile of crap. They may look good but they're consistently consigned to the bottom of the list in the reliability rankings. They are nothing but trouble and the depreciation is horrendous.

Someone told me over Xmas Lunch that he has ordered a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe.
Another person suggests that the Japanese car makers have retreated and no longer improving on their products.
I have enough of continental cars. American cars are disappointing with poor steering.

What do you think?

If you want 10 years of trouble free motoring, stick to Toyota. Most models are bullet proof The Highlander is rated tops in almost every publication. My neighbour's Land Cruiser has 690,000km on the clock without an overhaul.

If you're going to change cars often, any Jap or Korean model will meet your needs.

Don't touch the Europeans brands, you'll lose money big time and although the warranty saves you the repair bills, you'll still have to put up with the trouble of taking it to the dealers and leaving it there every time something goes wrong and believe me it will.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Land Rovers are a pile of crap.

Don't touch the Europeans brands, you'll lose money big time and although the warranty saves you the repair bills, you'll still have to put up with the trouble of taking it to the dealers and leaving it there every time something goes wrong and believe me it will.

Continental cars always have some deficiencies/annoyances somewhere. Eg the Fiat, Renault, etc.

German cars are fun to drive, but they get "old" very quickly if not maintained. I find Aussies really bad at maintaining their cars and the cars end up with strange problems which we never expect. Even the "master" mechanic cannot diagnose a poorly maintained car.

Eg This chap I know took more than 3 months to figure out that his Mini has a faulty immobiliser. He had already spent needless money changing wrong parts, plus the fact that he did not service his car regularly. In the end, he has to borrow the company fleet car to get to work.

And the fleet cars have another problem. Usually, they are never serviced to save money and the only time it is serviced is when the company decided to get rid of them (usu after 2 years).

Buy a used fleet car, think again!

After experiencing the different cars, thinking of a Japanese/Korean car now so that I do not have to get annoyed over the location of the signal indicator/wiper when driving my car, the company's car (Hyundai) and wife's car (Honda).

Last edited: