• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interview with Singapore women's team Coach Zhou by a China newspaper

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sports.163.com/10/0602/14/686B26FM00051CAQ.html

(translated)

Reporter: Congratulations coach Zhou. China coach Shi Zhihao said today (June 1) that the Chinese team did not lose to Singapore. It lost to you.

Zhou Shusen: Haha, he flattered me. We are just trying our luck playing against China. It's with luck that we won China this time.

Reporter: When I interviewed the people in table tennis world, many said that you are superb in planning the tactical line up. Wan Fang Fang even said that everyone knew your nickname was "old fox". Did you really guess the line up of the Chinese team in the finals?

Zhou Shusen: You're too kind. But I did manage to predict the line up of the Chinese team in the finals. This mainly came from watching the semi-finals. During the semi-finals, I've seen the matches of the 3 Chinese players Liu Shiwen, Ding Ning and Guo Yan and I could predict. Hence, before the finals, we planned our tactics specifically targeting 3 of them. For example, putting Feng Tianwei against Ding Ning, Wang Yuegu against Liu Shiwen. The third set was weak but if we were able to control the first 2, we would have half the chance of winning.

Reporter: Yes, we have watched the finals that day. We all know that in addition to Zhang Yining, Ding Ning and Guo Yan were both brought up by you when you were coaching in the Beijing team. After the finals, did you go over to comfort the 2?

Zhou Shusen: Oh, that day after the match, things were rather chaotic. Furthermore, I think after China lost, they must be all very sad. We did not have any communication. Just before you called, a friend in Beijing texted me saying that Ding Ning came back to Beijing today and regretted not congratulate me on winning the world championship that day. She felt that she was not polite and wanted to send me a belated congratulatory note. She further said in the coming London olympics, she must try to win the Singapore team directed by coach Zhou. I'm moved by what I heard.

Reporter: You have taught your student well.

Zhou Shusen: Yes, as you can see, even though she is of a young age, she understands etiquette and is not afraid of losing. She has the courage to continue to compete - athletes must have this sort of character in order to be successful. I would like to ask you to bring words to Ding Ning: she has future. Ask her not to be upset with the loss. Raise her head and continue to advance.

Coach Zhou was born in 1941. He has served as coach of China, Zhejiang and Beijing women's team. In the top 8 players of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games women's singles, 4 were his pupils. After becoming Singapore women's team coach in less than a year, Singapore became world champion. China's Ding Ning and Guo Yan were both his former favorite players.

Reporter: Speaking of current generation China table tennis team, we felt that they fell short of Zhang Yining...

Zhou Shusen: That's because you are an outsider. In fact, on tactics and technics, Ding Ning's group and Zhang Yining are definitely of the same calibre. Where is the difference? The difference lies in mental strength. It's hard to see mental strength. It simply is, whatever the situation, one will not panick. This is something the youngsters need to hone.

Reporter: How about you, old coach? You are already 68 years old. Hangzhou people at this age are already enjoying their retired life but you still run off to Singapore....

Zhou Shusen: Aiyah, you are still young. If retires with nothing to do, one will especially feel lost! I just wanted to find something to do. People (Singapore) came and sincerely invited me to be their coach, so I went. In Hangzhou words, it's like saying trying things out first but once not careful, it blows up....

Reporter: Last question - many people are attacking you on the Internet...

Zhou Shusen: Haha, these are the fans feeling bad about China's loss at the moment. I can understand. I also believe that people of this generation can understand the things this old man is doing.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Buying coach is ok. But not buying player. Coach can only teach/guide but it must be player it self to have such talent.
The player must have to be the own citizen not converted citizen.
Like that why not buy Zhang Yining/Wang Nan.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buying coach is ok. But not buying player. Coach can only teach/guide but it must be player it self to have such talent.

Yes I agree. Buying a coach to train your own CITIZENS is good. But not buying players and giving them CITIZENSHIP.

Also not good to try and PROPOGANDA and force down citizens' throats this stupid POLICY.

WE HAVE LEADERS THAT THINK ITS OK TO BUY AND FIX EVERYTHING. THEY FORGET CITIZENS ARE NOT PIGS, HAVE SOME BRAINS, AND CAN THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
PRCs being bought by singapore and winning for singapore are HEROES here but back home to the PRCs, the prc singaporeans might be known as mercenary traitors.

so now li jia wei is rumoured to be going back to PRC beijing. later she trashes up singapore and wins for PRC, would she still be considered a HERO or more likely another mercenary traitor??

singapore is very foolish to be deluded by glamour. we know deep in our hearts that the honor is BOUGHT and not really achieved by true-blue singaporeans.

why is the gov wasting such excesses to achieve something that isn't authentic and can truly be considered a national glory?

if the commentators were to annouce those sgp winners were originally (bought over) from PRC, i wonder how embarrassed singapore would have felt.:(

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

You need to buy some good players. At the very least they are sparring partners.

Then you need to talent spot from your locals. I still say if there had been no Jung Jing Hong, there would have been no Commonwealth or Asian Games medals for Paey Fern since she'd be sparring with substandard people.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You need to buy some good players. At the very least they are sparring partners.

Then you need to talent spot from your locals. I still say if there had been no Jung Jing Hong, there would have been no Commonwealth or Asian Games medals for Paey Fern since she'd be sparring with substandard people.

Those were team or double events, Paey Fern depended on her PRC mates to get her medals.

Did Paey Fern ever won a individual event at commonwealth, asian or even sea games ( sea games should have? )

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those were team or double events, Paey Fern depended on her PRC mates to get her medals.

Did Paey Fern ever won a individual event at commonwealth, asian or even sea games ( sea games should have? )

One bronze one silver at commonwealth.

One commonwealth mixed doubles where partner was a Singaporean.

Like I say, I am sure sparring with Jun Hong helped.

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zhang Yining married a multi-millionaire businessman. You think she wants to play table tennis anymore for anyone?

For Wang Nan, last I heard she has already retired....

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beleive most, if not all of you well-read forumers, knows the story of the trojan horse strategy.

Need I elaborate more ?