• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interview with 69 yr old jobless Ah Pek given S$150 a mth by the PAP to 'survive'

sheryllim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watch the moving video interview here:

http://wayangparty.com/2008/12/26/6...50-a-month-by-government-for-living-expenses/

Prologue:

69 year old Mr Chua used to work as a construction laborer in the past. He is still healthy and able to work, but nobody wants to employ him, citing age as a concern.

As he does not qualify for the Public Assistance scheme, he is only given a monthly allowance of $150 which he supplements by borrowing from his friends.

Excerpts of interview translated from Hokkien:

SG Enquirer: Do you go to look for work ?

Mr Chua: Yes, I cycled everywhere from Geylang to Whampoa, but they say I am too old and refuse to employ me…..I told my friends like this die already I have no job to do, no job no money. If this house has to be paid by me, then I really die.

SG Enquirer: How much did the government give you a month ?

Mr Chua (crying): S$150 only. They open a bank account for me and deposit the money into it every month.

SG Enquirer: Is it enough ?

Mr Chua: Not enough. The water bills is already a couple of dollars…..in 2, 3 or at most 4 days, the money is gone.

SG Enquirer: Are food prices high now ?

Mr Chua: Yes, very expensive ! When I go out to look for job, I dare not drink coffee at coffeeshop. I ordered hot water instead, no money what to eat ? Can only drink water.

SG Enquirer: Did you ask your MP to help you look for job.

Mr Chua: Yes, they gave me a job as a sweeper at ….don’t know where, offered me S$300 monthly, but the transport fares cost a hundred plus dollars already.

SG Enquirer: Did you ever go hungry ?

Mr Chua: When we are hungry, just take some roti (bread).

SG Enquirer: Do you still have CPF ?

Mr Chua: No.

SG Enquirer: Are you upset with your predicament ?

Mr Chua: Yes, but what to do ? When we run out of money, I have to go around to borrow from my friends and when the S$150 is deposited on every 3rd of the month, I will use it to repay them.