• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indian Votes - PAP's New Front

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was hoping that someone had picked this out.

Looks like the PAP has started on a new front akin to Mahathir who had to rely on the Chinese during his last term to retain votes.

As you know that Citizenship figures have now be embargoed since 1990s. The breakdown is not known. The threat from the younger generation cannot be downplayed by repeating the story of the old guards and the rags to riches story that seemed to have stopped after the 80s.

A new Indian channel has been unveiled with all Indian PAP politicians gracing the occasion. Content has been increased, content that requires no speaking (non tamil ) such as dances are covering other indian sub-continental influences.

Looks like the approach will be similar to the long tested and highly successful formula used on the business community to retain the status quo.

I guess every marginal votes count. Wonder if they are going to remove the highly racial HDB quotas or resort to exceptions that are not made public.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I noticed the additional only yesterday, when I noticed an addititional channel listing in the newspaper. Upon closer look, I realised the the old Central has been split into two channels, i.e. Vasantham (all Indian programmes) and Okto (mostly children and some arts programmes). I was rather surprised at the lack of publicity. Usually, whenever a new channel is introduced, there'd be regular tuning guide advertising one or two weeks in advance of launch. Apparently not the case this time as I laster learned that the new channels have been launched more than a week ago.

Anyway, if there's any political motivation behind the new channel, perhaps the PAP has observed something from Malaysian GE 2008. It's been quite clear that Indians (especially Tamil Hindus) are voting against the BN almost in unison.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, if there's any political motivation behind the new channel, perhaps the PAP has observed something from Malaysian GE 2008. It's been quite clear that Indians (especially Tamil Hindus) are voting against the BN almost in unison.

Heard about it from an indian friend about a month ago and he was more interested in finding out my opinion knowing my interest in local politics. i drew a blank and he was surprised no one seem to have detected it.

Made a couple of calls and realised that its a full blown effort and true enough all the indian politicians were there at the launch and you could see they were taking centre stage.

Couple more calls and the picture started to emerge. Apparently they had been voting opposition in term of % based on straw polls. Not surprising with JBJ and their overpresentation and share of voice in the opposition camps. 4% did not amount to much in the early years.

It will be interesting to see the pop breakdown, new singapore indians, their back ground.

One juicy morsel from the calls was about about new singaporean mainland chinese were found to be highly unpredictable. This is despite CJ Yong going out his way to create a landmark decision by fining and not jailing the PRC business lady with local political ties that got charged with false educational qualification some years ago.

The table tennis player who is leaving comes to mind as well.

Better start visiting you Indian friends real quick.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was Indranee wearing a blue sari that does not appear to suit her? (Saw the pic in this week's Urban ST supplement). Guess Vivian was wearing his favourite Nehru jacket, first seen on his 'grandmaster' LKY:biggrin:

Yes and you could see in their mannerism that it was not a routine event that they were gracing.

This must be best kept secret in years. Still digging away to find out more.

ps. in full indian regalia

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are the cheapest Tamil Language courses available? One should never, while still stuck in Singapore, be unprepared to sucking up to whatever that is the newest political flavour of the moment. Vhanakham! See? I'm a survivor!:p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was Indranee wearing a blue sari that does not appear to suit her? (Saw the pic in this week's Urban ST supplement). Guess Vivian was wearing his favourite Nehru jacket, first seen on his 'grandmaster' LKY:biggrin:

Yes, Vivian in Nehru jacket but I think that Indranee was in red.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are the cheapest Tamil Language courses available? One should never, while still stuck in Singapore, be unprepared to sucking up to whatever that is the newest political flavour of the moment. Vhanakham! See? I'm a survivor!:p
Bro, my ex-classmates and friends from the community struggle to speak their own mother tongue. As far as I know Tharman,Vivian, Indranee can't sepak the lingo. Good luck.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I maybe mistaken but I get the impression that the local Malayalee elites speak their own lingo better than the local Tamil elites.

Bro, my ex-classmates and friends from the community struggle to speak their own mother tongue. As far as I know Tharman,Vivian, Indranee can't sepak the lingo. Good luck.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal

OOps! then should I just stick to sucking up to the Chinese or the new Pinoys?:biggrin:
By the way, met Majid Ariff two weels ago, he was tickled pink when I told him about what you said. It crossed his mind, he laughed.:smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
OOps! then should I just stick to sucking up to the Chinese or the new Pinoys?:biggrin:
By the way, met Majid Ariff two weels ago, he was tickled pink when I told him about what you said. It crossed his mind, he laughed.:smile:

Lets not for get the pinoys.

majid, can't believe the guys is still so fit.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I maybe mistaken but I get the impression that the local Malayalee elites speak their own lingo better than the local Tamil elites.
Come to think, you are right. In fact, I think they had the president of Malayalee Society of something that was conveying the society's best wishes.

By the way, the Malayalees were the forefront of the communist amongst the indians in Singapore and that included devan, woodhull, puthucheary etc.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that the footballer? What did Scroobal say about him?

Scroobal asked me to pass a message to him not to keep running after those FT guys who keep delaying flights by wandering around all the nooks and crannies of the airport and just let them get stuck here. Beside, like what Scroobal had said, he kept mistaking Singaaporeons for these FT guys.:biggrin:

mrbell1009

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe this is to cater for the rich indian investers, mainly from northern india; the majority residing in Tanjong Rhu and Meyer Rd areas. PAP has forgotten that the northern indians did not contirbute progress of sg in any manner. PAP should stop prostituting itself for money.

Manrocke

Maybe this is to cater for the rich indian investers, mainly from northern india; the majority residing in Tanjong Rhu and Meyer Rd areas. PAP has forgotten that the northern indians did not contirbute progress of sg in any manner. PAP should stop prostituting itself for money.

I think the main reason is to curb the popularity of overseas based Tamil Channels among local Tamils

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm...very interesting. This warrants a very serious look.

Looks like I was right. Apparently big money has been poured in, community, tertiary student leaders and leading personalities have been roped into provide soundbytes in support.

Couple of brothers in the community have indicated that content is unbelievable, doctor roped in to provide online medical advice to callers etc.

I wonder who is leading this in the PAP.

Have not seen this kind of intensity in the last 3 decades. Wonder if they hedging their bets as the GenY is not a given and after the old man debacle over debating them.