• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Inadvertent Intravenous Injections - Consequences

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then why the need to teach aspiration during IM injections?
just in case there is a 1 in 10000 chance the needle can hit a small arteriole or vein

the real danger is local infiltration of lidocaine . in large enough dose and administered intravenously it is cardiotoxic

which unfortunately did happen in the SAF ward many many years ago. some young MO go and push a walloping dose into a large vein while trying to excise a lipoma and the poor patient went into arrhythmia and died

that's why we aspirate . in my business anything can happen . however remote.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
there are no major arteries at the lateral side of the deltoid

not even a large enough arteriole for IA bolus shot

the UK nurses must be damn cock. Or he is making up stories to stay relevant on YouTube . Or both.
What about that small artery that looks like it is looping around the humerus? Would it be in the needle's reach on a scrawny arm?

1632732594514.png

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's why nobody injects into the arm pit

unless some of the fake medical experts of this forum decide to inject ivermectin into themselves

hope they do it that way

actually to qualify : axillary nerve block does involve infiltration into the armpit . But it's only done by seasoned senior anesthetists .

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
that's why nobody injects into the arm pit

unless some of the fake medical experts of this forum decide to inject ivermectin into themselves

hope they do it that way

Sorry I thought from the diagram that it ran between the deltoid and the humerus.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
just in case there is a 1 in 10000 chance the needle can hit a small arteriole or vein

the real danger is local infiltration of lidocaine . in large enough dose and administered intravenously it is cardiotoxic

which unfortunately did happen in the SAF ward many many years ago. some young MO go and push a walloping dose into a large vein while trying to excise a lipoma and the poor patient went into arrhythmia and died

that's why we aspirate . in my business anything can happen . however remote.
The point remains. Anything can happen. So aspirate!. Train and retrain to remove the slightest possibility. As a doctor you should push for this and not give excuses for it.

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The point remains. Anything can happen. So aspirate!. Train and retrain to remove the slightest possibility. As a doctor you should push for this and not give excuses for it.
Push for what ? I already said nurses have been doing it . Since time immemorial.

you want zero error ? Go see TCM or any of the bullshit alternative medicine charlatans . They have 100 % success and 0% errors .

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow
Push for what ? I already said nurses have been doing it . Since time immemorial.

you want zero error ? Go see TCM or any of the bullshit alternative medicine charlatans . They have 100 % success and 0% errors .
Wow such a perfect example of a health entrepreneur.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Based upon the numbers the risk of Myocarditis is very low too so it may correlate with hitting a blood vessel.

Do they still jab the buttocks for anything nowadays? I can recall that's what happened in school but can't remember for what.
Frankly I doubt this is the reason for myocarditis.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Then why the need to teach aspiration during IM injections?
Like you said what is taught and what is practiced can be different.

Why they teach? It's just what they are used to teaching.

Many many things taught. But in real life you follow is not practical or not popular also.

Simple one......cold or flu antibiotics dont work for you. Cause antibiotic resistance also. Waste money and resources.

How many GP still give antibiotics? How many patients will say wah GP tell me go home drink water sleep and rest no antibiotics is damn good Dr. Dun joke lah.

Those who can do those who cant teach.